Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Comcast modem with my orbi

magatoni
Aspirant

New Comcast modem with my orbi

Hi gang. I’m not a tech guy so thank you for reading this. I have an orbi that I have in AP mode with an Ethernet cable to a Comcast gateway (that has the WiFi turned off on the gateway).

If the Comcast gateway/modem needs to be replaced, do I just plug the orbi via Ethernet into the new modem and all will be well, saved and recognized? Or do I have to reset everything with the orbi and all previously connected devices as well since it’s a new modem?

I’m worried that my new Comcast modem (that Comcast wants to upgrade) will not connect seamlessly with my old orbi. I don’t want to have to go through the whole orbi set up process again.

Thanks again to all of you. I really appreciate
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Depends if the new modem is a modem only or another gateway modem which means it has a built in router and wifi. Stand alone modems are preferred for use with external routers such as Orbi.

Message 2 of 6
tgltgl
Star

I have xfinity and purchased Netgear CM1150V modem recently. So far it has been working perfectly with my RBK50+RBS50 setup. I did have to spend some 30min on the phone with Comcast to properly provision my new modem however (I have their triple play service and the phone setup for some reason took longer to provision).

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@tgltgl wrote:

I have xfinity and purchased Netgear CM1150V modem recently. So far it has been working perfectly with my RBK50+RBS50 setup. I did have to spend some 30min on the phone with Comcast to properly provision my new modem however (I have their triple play service and the phone setup for some reason took longer to provision).

Message 4 of 6

@tgltgl wrote:

I have xfinity and purchased Netgear CM1150V modem recently.

That's a modem only device. Well, Voice Cable Modem. So no router to mess you around.

Wise choice.

Message 5 of 6
tgltgl
Star

@michaelkenward wrote:

@tgltgl wrote:

I have xfinity and purchased Netgear CM1150V modem recently.

That's a modem only device. Well, Voice Cable Modem. So no router to mess you around.

Wise choice.

That's exactly why I purchased it - hoping to minimize messing around with setup/config on 2 devices (and because it's the only xfinity 'approved' modem that also covers voice/phone service).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7