Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Computer Wifi

Nova17
Aspirant

New Computer Wifi

I am throwing up the white flag here.  Usually I can mange to figure out connectivity issues after some online troubleshooting.  However, after a week of trying to figure this out...I'm begging for help.

To summarize, I had a new PC built with Windows 10 OS.  The network adapter is an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168.  Firmware is updated.

I have an XFINITY gateway and I think the model is XB6-T.  It's a combo modem/router.  I have it in bridge mode.

I have an Orbi RBR40 router (not in AP mode) and two satellites.  Firmware is up to date, as far as I can tell from the app updates features.  I tried the AP mode feature and then nothing in my house could connect to wifi, so I turned AP mode off.

I am able to connect ethernet to both devices to log into their respective IP addresses and adjust settings.  Nothing has done the trick.

The kicker is that every single device in my house has NO issue with connecting to the Orbi wifi network.  Zero.  Once in a while we've had weird connectivity issues but a simple power cycle usually solves the issue.  The only device that is giving me an issue is the new PC.  I can see the network and can connect, but no internet.  I tried ipconfig /flushdns and a few other ipconfig resets.

I would be eternally grateful for any guidance here as I'm at my wits end.  Many thanks!

Model: A6200|802.11ac Dual Band WiFi USB Adapter
Message 1 of 56

Accepted Solutions
Nova17
Aspirant

Re: New Computer Wifi

I don't want to jump the gun here...but I think I figured it out.  After searching the web regarding my motherboard wifi, it appears simply changing a wifi configuration setting was all it took.  If so, I'm going to take a cold shower and drink some wine.

Pic attached of the change from 802.11n/ac from ac to n.  I feel both stupid and smarter at the same time.

I am about to reconfigure the Orbi since I (needlessly) factory reset it.  Fingers crossed!

View solution in original post

Message 53 of 56

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@Nova17 wrote:

To summarize, I had a new PC built with Windows 10 OS.  The network adapter is an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168.  Firmware is updated.

I have an Orbi RBR40 router (not in AP mode) and two satellites.  Firmware is up to date, as far as I can tell from the app updates features.  I tried the AP mode feature and then nothing in my house could connect to wifi, so I turned AP mode off.  This is what should happen.  If neither the modem nor the Orbi is a "router", then there is DHCP server on your network and devices cannot connect.

I am able to connect ethernet to both devices to log into their respective IP addresses and adjust settings.  Nothing has done the trick.

The kicker is that every single device in my house has NO issue with connecting to the Orbi wifi network.  Zero. 

My assumption is that this custom PC is a laptop (not a desktop).

Does the Bluetooth function correctly?

Since everything else works, my hunch is there is something amiss with this adapter.  There are a bunch of troubleshooting tips here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/products/94854/network-and-i-o/wireless/intel-wirele... 

Is there a User Forum for this Intel adapter?

The nice person who built the laptop probably tested the WiFi before handing it over, correct?

Message 2 of 56
CrimpOn
Guru

p.s. I am still getting used to the concept that laptops no longer include ethernet connections.  My first question was going to be, "Does it work when wired to the Orbi."

Message 3 of 56
Nova17
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply!  If I understand your comment correctly, if I set the XFINITY gateway's bridge mode off and turn the Orbi AP mode on, this should work?

The PC is a desktop.  The guy who built it said he tested the wifi in the shop and there were no issues.  I am inclined to believe him as I was able to connect to wifi this past Monday after relocating my PC to the basement to hardwire the ethernet cable.  I reset the gateway and Orbi and was able to successfully connect to both the XFINITY gateway wifi (when bridge mode was off) and the Orbi wifi network.  However, as soon as I relocated the PC back upstairs I could not connect to the Orbi network.  It makes no sense to me.  Although, I'm not well versed in network infrastructure.

I will dig into the network adapter a bit.  I am wondering if it could be some kind of setting, perhaps.

Message 4 of 56
Mstrbig
Master

@Nova17 wrote:

The PC is a desktop. 

I reset the gateway and Orbi and was able to successfully connect to both the XFINITY gateway wifi (when bridge mode was off) and the Orbi wifi network.  However, as soon as I relocated the PC back upstairs I could not connect to the Orbi network.  

Hardwire connection, as you know, is different than WIFI connection. So I'm thinking distance between the PC and the Orbi is the issue. How far away is the PC from the Orbi, when you move the PC upstairs? If possible, run a test by moving the PC closer to the Orbi to see if it connects. Make sure the PC WIFI adapter is set for DHCP. I would disable the wired PC Network adapter for testing purposes. Does your Orbi network consist of 1, 2, 3, etc. units? If 1 unit, the position of the Orbi in the home is important. Sometimes when a router is in a corner of the home, the Orbi is setup in the same location, causing poor signal elsewhere. I did a single Orbi RBR50 install, where in order to get good WIFI at the other end of the home, I had to run network cable from the ISP modem to a central location in the home.

Message 5 of 56
Nova17
Aspirant

Also, I just tested the Bluetooth with my headphones.  Interestingly, the PC "pairs" with the headphones.  However, the headphones do not aknowledge the pairing.  The PC shows "paired" but the headphones do not connect.  No audio or "connected to..." 

I am wondering if this increases the likelyhood that the network adapter is the issue.  I'm debating just opening up the PC and removing/reinstalling the adapter....or just purchasing a new/better one?

Message 6 of 56
Nova17
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply!

At this point I do not think it is a matter of signal strength.  I say this because my work laptop (MacBook Air), smartphones, and my wife's laptop (ThinkPad) all connect to the Orbi network (via a satellite extender) without issue.  The problem seems completely isolated to the new PC.  

We have the Orbi router in a central basement location with two satellite extenders one floor up to extend the Orbi network signal.

Message 7 of 56
Mstrbig
Master

If you have good WIFI with other devices in the same location, either the WIFI adapter has a static IP address set or may be defective. Check the settings of the WIFI adapter, perform a release and renew IP address. Last resort, if Windows PC, go into device manager and remove the adapter and drivers, refresh and reinstall the adapter and drivers. If that does not repair it, I would contact the seller you purchased it from.

Message 8 of 56
CrimpOn
Guru

@Nova17 wrote:

The PC is a desktop.  The guy who built it said he tested the wifi in the shop and there were no issues.  I am inclined to believe him as I was able to connect to wifi this past Monday after relocating my PC to the basement to hardwire the ethernet cable.  I reset the gateway and Orbi and was able to successfully connect to both the XFINITY gateway wifi (when bridge mode was off) and the Orbi wifi network.  However, as soon as I relocated the PC back upstairs I could not connect to the Orbi network.

So the Intel WiFi has connected to three WiFi networks. (builder, Xfinity, Orbi).

Desktop computers are big metal cases.  Are the antennas "blocked" from seeing the WiFi when it is placed upstairs?

Message 9 of 56
Nova17
Aspirant

I'm not familiar with what a "builder" network is, but yes, it has (at one point or another over the last 2 weeks) connected to the XFINITY network and Orbi network.  However, the internet is not available.  When I connect to Orbi, it takes about 10seconds before I see the "Connected, Secured" status.  As soon as I try to access any URL, the internet connection is lost.

The antennas are not blocked.  Not sure if it matters but I have an ASRock B450 motherboard.  I did not realize it had an integrated network card...so I cannot even try to swap them out.

Message 10 of 56
CrimpOn
Guru

@Nova17 wrote:

I'm not familiar with what a "builder" network is, but yes, it has (at one point or another over the last 2 weeks) connected to the XFINITY network and Orbi network.  However, the internet is not available.  When I connect to Orbi, it takes about 10seconds before I see the "Connected, Secured" status.  As soon as I try to access any URL, the internet connection is lost.

The antennas are not blocked.  Not sure if it matters but I have an ASRock B450 motherboard.  I did not realize it had an integrated network card...so I cannot even try to swap them out.

Sorry for the shorthand. "builder" is "the person who built the computer tried it at the shop using whatever WiFi was at the shop".

I am easily confused about "what happened".  When the PC connected correctly in the basement (to Xfinity and Orbi), it got internet and "worked like it should", but when it came back upstairs it still "connects" but now does not get internet?

Message 11 of 56
CrimpOn
Guru

@Nova17 wrote:

Not sure if it matters but I have an ASRock B450 motherboard.  I did not realize it had an integrated network card...so I cannot even try to swap them out.

I do not see this as an issue.  Every ASRock B450 model that I looked at (on the web) has Realtek gigabit ethernet on the motherboard, but no WiFi. There should be no issue in replacing the Intel WiFi card with an other WiFi card.

Message 12 of 56
Nova17
Aspirant

Ah!  Yes, the builder claims wifi worked fine in his shop.  Sorry, I'm a layman in this arena.

This past Sunday, I set the PC up in my room.  I was able to see and connect to my Orbi wifi.  However, I repeatedly received the "no internet connection" when trying to access any URL.  No other device in the house had the issue, or has the issue currently.  Everything else is connecting and streaming just fine.

I got fed up and relocated the PC to the basement, hardwired ethernet to update drives, windows updates, etc.  Again, power cycled the network and PC, still no wifi.  Then I reset the XFINITY gateway to factory settings and power cycled everything again.  At that one point, in the basement, I was able to connect to either wifi (Orbi network and the XFINITY gateway, prior to bridge mode).  I was elated.

Naturally, I relocated back upstairs (skipping along the way) and set everything back up.  Within 5 minutes, bam, no internet connection.

I relocated back to the basement to attempt different approches with the connectivity of the enthernet cable.  Nothing has solved the problem.  I actually just went downstairs and uninstalled my dual band from device manager, restarted, updated drivers, restarted again.

Message 13 of 56
CrimpOn
Guru

@Nova17 wrote:

Naturally, I relocated back upstairs (skipping along the way) and set everything back up.  Within 5 minutes, bam, no internet connection.

What frustration!

Does your Orbi have "Access Control" activated?

Are we now in the basement and it doesn't connect to either Xfinity or Orbi? (or, it "connects" but has no internet?)

Message 14 of 56
Nova17
Aspirant

Quite frustrating, haha!  Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

The PC is hardwired via ethernet through the Orbi, which is connected via ethernet to the XFINITY gateway (in bridge mode).  When connecting to the Orbi network, it will take about 5-10 seconds and show a "connected.  secured." status, which is normal.  As soon as I open Chrome and try to access any URL, bam, "no internet connection".  Then the wifi status shows "not connected. secured."

Message 15 of 56
CrimpOn
Guru

Both hardwired and WiFi at the same time?
Message 16 of 56
Mstrbig
Master

If you can connect to the Orbi WIFI, That means you are getting an assigned IP address from the Orbi and the Orbi WIFI appears to be working. However when you see no internet connection, check to see if the Orbi you are connecting to is getting an internet connection through the ISP router.

Message 17 of 56
Nova17
Aspirant

At the moment, yes.  I am hardwired.  Originally to update drivers and get online from the new PC.  I have been tinkering with the wifi itself (turning the adapter on/off, reinstall, etc.).

Another clue, perhaps?  When the wifi is trying to connect to Orbi, in the Network Adapter Options screen in windows, the status shows "unidentified network".  

Message 18 of 56
Nova17
Aspirant

This is likely a dumb question, but how do I confirm that the Orbi is receiving an IP from the ISP gateway?  My layman assumption is that it is.  I am making this assumption based on the other devices in my home having no issue connecting and accessing the web through the Orbi network.  

Also, I am hardwired to the Orbi at the moment and as long as I'm hardwired, I have zero connectivity/access issues.

Message 19 of 56
Mstrbig
Master

if you know the IP address of the orbi, you can log into it directly. If you don't you can goto the GUI and it will show if it is connected. Also make sure daisy chaining is turned off, since you are wired backhaul.
Message 20 of 56
Nova17
Aspirant

I just turned Daisy Chaning off on the Orbi router advanced settings.  The system rebooted. 

Message 21 of 56
FURRYe38
Guru

Log into the RBRs web page and select the Advanced Tab. There is a internet section on the right. This will show you the IP address the RBR is getting from your ISP modem. 

@Nova17 wrote:

This is likely a dumb question, but how do I confirm that the Orbi is receiving an IP from the ISP gateway?  My layman assumption is that it is.  I am making this assumption based on the other devices in my home having no issue connecting and accessing the web through the Orbi network.  

Also, I am hardwired to the Orbi at the moment and as long as I'm hardwired, I have zero connectivity/access issues.

Message 22 of 56
Mstrbig
Master

Log into the RBR's web page. Click on the Attached Devices Block. At the top of the page you will see your "Connected Satellites" information including IP address, MAC address and the Orbi device it is connected to. Below that of course is your Connected Devices.

Message 23 of 56
Nova17
Aspirant

At a loss again.  I am still hardwired into the Orbi via ethernet.  All morning I have had no issue access the Orbi router settings via 192.168.1.1.  At the moment, I am getting "this site can't be reached."  I have not done anything since disabling the daisy chain feature.

Also, I determined that the PC wifi will work without issue via my father-in-law's iPhone hotspot network.

I cannot narrow down if it's the PC or the network settings.

Message 24 of 56
Mstrbig
Master

Sounds to me like your Orbi Router is not connected to your ISP modem/router. When you are in the Orbi web page, clicki on Internet. How is it set up? Is all the information filled in correctly?

Account Name  (If Required)Orbi-Family-Rm    
Domain Name  (If Required)

Internet IP Address
Get Dynamically from ISP
Use Static IP Address
IP Address. . . 
IP Subnet Mask. . . 
Gateway IP Address. . . 

Domain Name Server (DNS) Address
Get Automatically from ISP
Use These DNS Servers
Primary DNS. . .