Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New FW V2.1.1.16 (Router) and V2.1.0.18 (Beacon) - what's your experience?

netgearguy
Apprentice

New FW V2.1.1.16 (Router) and V2.1.0.18 (Beacon) - what's your experience?

Just received replacement RBK30 (RBR40/RBW30) Orbi system from Amazon and udpated to the current FW: 

RouterRBR40RBR40

V2.1.1.16

SatelliteRBW30Orbi Satellite-1V2.1.0.18

Enable Daisy Chain Topology is defaulted to on. 

These is defaulted to off: 

- Implicit Beam Forming

- MU-MIMO

- Fast Roaming

Left them at their defaults. 

I'm going to see if this update has any effect on intermittent network drops I had w/previous 2.x FW versions. 

What's your experience w/this update? 

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
netgearguy
Apprentice

Two network drops since I set up the  new speakers - full drop, Ethernet and Wi-Fi. Just in case, a Nexus 6P I have w/Oreo on it has been turned off. (There was some talk about Pixel/Nexus devices w/Oreo affecting Orbi). 

So..mabye I have the patience to do a factory reset and give it one more try, but looks like I'm most likely going back to Eero, which was flawless (if not quite as fast) for the last few days. 

Message 2 of 8
turnerm05
Luminary

Yep - I'm done with Orbi.  Since going back to Eero this weekend I've been absolutely rock solid.  

I guess part of me was hoping that the next Orbi firmware drop would solve most issues but nope.  

Message 3 of 8
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I am running the RBK50 with two satellites all on 2.1.1.16 for the last few hours and all the issues that I reported are gone. This one is stable, at least it seems for this hardware. 

Op I notice you are running different versions of hardware, including one that does not have newer firmware so that may be contributing to your instability.

Message 4 of 8
JMU1998
Luminary

My Orbi is in AP mode, It has been about 5 hrs and issue returned, I even did a factory reset on both after the firmware update all devices show attached to main.

Message 5 of 8
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

As I mentioned before - re-deploy the firmware to both satellites and router - that seems to have helped some people here with instability before. I'd also say after updating export your settings and then re-import them.  Give time to stabilize and then power off router and satellites for 2 minutes before restarting.

What you are experiencing has to be a config issue.

Message 6 of 8
netgearguy
Apprentice

@aaz wrote:

I am running the RBK50 with two satellites all on 2.1.1.16 for the last few hours and all the issues that I reported are gone. This one is stable, at least it seems for this hardware. 

Op I notice you are running different versions of hardware, including one that does not have newer firmware so that may be contributing to your instability.

I'm running an Orbi system sold by Netgear - RBK30, which includes one router (RBR40) and one Satellite (RBW30). They are a matched set and sold together by Netgear, and both were updated to the current FW available via the FW update process (auto, not manual) from the router. 

Message 7 of 8
netgearguy
Apprentice

I've been on the phone wNetgear level 2 support (my case escalated, they called me) and we went through an hour or more of TS and nothing changed, network drops continued. 

Given this is my second set of HW and I have exactly the same results on both HW sets on multiple versions of 2.0.x and 2.1.x FW versions, after factory resets and re-flashing, I think it's clear there is a serious issue w/Orbi FW (and possibly some of their HW components) that is causing these issues. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7