Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Firmware 1.12.0.20 just released discussion

YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

New Firmware 1.12.0.20 just released discussion

This is from a post by Netgear in another thread to a person who had their reasonably stable system, torqued by the latest Firmware release 1.12.0.20.  Figured I may as well start a new thread since according to Netgear, they want full feedback on the effects of this new FW.  (Love being their "break/fix" test ground...NOT).   I have no idea if Netgear has the capability of pushing their junkware to only one type of system (re: the RBK40/30 comment below).  I doubt it.  I have the RBK40 and only FW 1.11.0.20 has been stable and solid performance.  Hopefully I won't be doing another Factory Reset after they force this latest FW on me (I have yet to Auto Update).  Be interesting to see what it does to any/all of the different Orbi systems.    

FW should have loaded successfully after system has completed boot up. You can verify by logging into the router GUI. Are you still having issues if so what are they? we are looking for full feedback on this FW push to the RBK 40/30 units.

DarrenM

Message 1 of 10
st_shaw
Master

What exactly did you read that makes you believe there's a new v1.12.0.20.

Message 2 of 10
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBK40-broken-by-latest-firmware-V1-12-0-18/m-p/1324549#M1...

Scroll down to message 9 and 10 of 11 in the thread above.  User EB2017 posted today and reply from Darren M with Netgear. 

Message 3 of 10
st_shaw
Master

Thanks.  I saw that too, but I thought the poster just mixed up their version numbers.

Message 4 of 10
tagteam
Virtuoso

@st_shaw wrote:

Thanks.  I saw that too, but I thought the poster just mixed up their version numbers.

I recently joined this community, read this thread as well as the one linked to here, and I would bet almost anything the poster did, in fact, mix up the version numbers. Considering the title of this thread (which could send other members off on a potential wild goose chase), perhaps the OP could verify whether or not that is indeed what occurred.

Message 5 of 10
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

I would have too but I was helping that poster previously with 1.12.0.18 issues and knew they had rolled back to 1.11.0.20.  Not sure if you saw the other post by Darren with Netgear that 1.12.0.18 had a bug in it so it certainly wouldn't have auto updated back to that.  The poor guy must have just been one of the earliest to receive it.  I hope I am wrong because I have it good now back on 1.11.0.20.

Also, after 1.12.0.18 jacked up my system, I did a rollback first but it wasn't stable.  It showed the message New Firmware Available (referring to 1.12.0.18).  Then when I did a factory reset and went back to a clean load of 1.11.0.20, the message was no longer showing and in the past 3 weeks didn't return. Again, hope I am wrong or rather that the user mixed things up.     

Message 6 of 10
EB2017
Guide

After reading this post, I began to second guess myself, and double checked the version that had auto-updated and screwed up my system. It is indeed V 1.12.0.20 and I've added a screenshot.

Orbi screenshot.PNG

The issue with 1.12.0.20 was the same as with 1.12.0.18 - you just can't get on the internet. The Wifi signal is strong throughout the whole house, the admin panel tells you your Internet connection is good, but you cannot connect to the internet on any device. Our devices include iPhones, iPads, an HP desktop, and a laptop.

Today, I finally had time to waste another hour of my life that I'll never get back messing with this stupid system, and was able to roll back to V1.11.0.20, which has been the only version that works for me.

I'm not sure why I was the unlucky victim of 1.12.0.20 when no one else seems to have seen it. But it came and infested my system with its completely useless nonsense, and hopefully the screenshot will prove that it is indeed lurking out there in Netgear land. And hopefully Netgear will fix it before they roll yet another useless update to the rest of the world.

Be afraid.... be very afraid............

Message 7 of 10
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

EB.... I think Netgear has it in for me because of how much I expose their incompetence. Now it shows itself again. Things suddenly went to crap starting yesterday and guess what...auto updated to 1.12.0.20. No mistake and just like its bug ridden cousin .18, it caused constant disconnects, internet outages, etc... All the same stuff I have reported extensively since I have owned this piece of garbage. So I get to waste yet another hour + of my life resetting and loading 1.11.0.20 back. I have had enough!

HEY NETGEAR...I AM GOING TO MAKE IT MY PERSONAL MISSION TO EXPOSE YOUR INCOMPETENCE AND GARBAGE PRODUCT ON EVERY POSSIBLE SITE I CAN. Clearly you have zero regard for your customers and obviously the worst testing & QA program. It is beyond comprehension that you would keep pumping out garbage Firmware. Just allow us to shut down auto updates.
Message 8 of 10
EB2017
Guide

Good evening, everyone. I wanted to give an update on the saga of my Orbi and the new Firmware. It is FINALLY FIXED and as of now, my system is working perfectly. Hopefully, it will stay that way.

Netgear reached out to me based on posts on this thread and set up a Support call, despite the fact that my 90-day Customer Support period was over. I had several calls with the same support person, which was fantastic for consistency - not having to re-explain the issue to different people. Alvin was extremely helpful, easy to understand, and walked me through trying various settings and tests, but we were unable to get it to work. After running debug and config logs, he contacted the engineers. They worked on it for about a week and were finally able to replicate the problem, and Alvin called this evening with the solution.

With my particular provider, the MTU size needed to be set at 1500 (it was previously at 1450, I believe.) While that is the size that works with my provider, it may not be the same for all providers, but those of you with issues might give it a shot. Log into your Orbi, go to the Advanced tab, click on WAN, and then change the MTU size to 1500. Click Apply when you are done. Again, 1500 may not work for everyone, but it seems to have worked for me.

The Orbi gives the best wifi coverage we've ever had in our house, which is all one level and spread out. Before Orbi, I used another router and extender, and it didn't work nearly as well as Orbi. Then these firmware updates came along and screwed everything up. But now, hopefully the problem is fixed for good, and the solution was to just adjust that one setting. I really want to love my Orbi again.

Good luck to everyone, and I hope this helps.

Message 9 of 10
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

Thanks EB... Good info to keep in mind.  Surprising that NG reached out to you based on your posts.  In another thread there are almost 500 posts and NG is silent.  

For others reading this thread, note that EB (and myself) have the RBK40 AC2200 system and the latest FW is 1.12.0.20.  Apparently NG figured out with their FW one size doesn't fit all.  Sadly that is about all they have figured out.  

For my system I was able to get it mostly stable again by doing a Factory Reset (twice) and loading 1.12.0.20 manually.  I had to change channels several times, had to turn off Beamforming and had to power cycle everything multiple times (thank you again Netgear for 3 more hours of my life I willl never get back).  Even now, system is stable but speeds are reduced at the satellite especially.  I had rolled back initially to 1.11 because with that FW my system was working incredibly. (I have 125Mbs "down" service and was consistently getting 115Mbs even on the satellite.)  Now I can get top speeds most times when by the main router but it drops to 30Mbs or less off the satellite.  It is sufficient for most things I do in that part of the house and better than the constant drops and other issues.   I will live with it until the next FW Auto Update craps my system out again.  

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7