Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Firmware 1.4.0.34

dekka007
Apprentice

Same as what a lot of others are getting.

After firmware update or Router reboot. I get stable connection (13 devices) for X amount of time then ios devices and occasionally OSX devices drop wifi connectivity sometimes reconnecting sometimes not.      This is with beam forming and mu-mimo selected on.

A reboot of router and sat then gives a X amount of time of stable connections before above starts again.

Message 26 of 44
Rustproofcorn
Luminary

Well that could be the difference. I don't know what beamfoaming or mimo is so I never turned them on. Prolly why I don't have a problem
Message 27 of 44
dekka007
Apprentice

Yup thats why.  The fact of the matter is they should be working and Netgear ain't got it right......

Customers should not have to turn it off.

Message 28 of 44
Rustproofcorn
Luminary

Sooo if I enable these I'm am sure to have drops? What's the advantage of enabling these? Especially the mimo cause I don't know what a mimo device is.
Message 29 of 44
djc6
Luminary

I have a harmony hub, 3rd and 4th gen Apple TVs.  I've never experienced dropouts of any devices in ~2 months of ownership (Router & 2 satellites), but I've also not gone into the admin interface and changed much of anything.  I logged in and noticed I have both MU-MIMO and Implicit Beamforming OFF - OFF must be the defaults.  Just FYI I know this doesn't help if you want to use these features.

Message 30 of 44
dekka007
Apprentice

Yes the dropouts seem to be directly related to these two performance enhancing options.
Message 31 of 44
bsholbrook
Apprentice

I agree with that summary, I have had no connectivity issues since .16 as long as mimo and beam form are off.  However, theses are features that a high end product should support and which should work.  Hopefully the netgear team will see these threads and take the needed steps.

Message 32 of 44
djc6
Luminary

@dekka007 wrote:
Yes the dropouts seem to be directly related to these two performance enhancing options.

Maybe you can turn one of the options off to narrow it down to one of them causing the issue? 

Message 33 of 44
Rustproofcorn
Luminary

What's the bennifit of mimo
Message 34 of 44
Rustproofcorn
Luminary

I keep reading those still don't understand it. Also don't know if it's needed. If I have 30 wireless devices online with perfect wireless why is his important? My house is 4700 square feet running solid. I don't know what I'm missing. Witho those off do u not have good wifi in your house? Seems the beamfoaming with antennas pointed strait up could be an issue? Has to be able to beam a signal strait to your phone.
Message 36 of 44
dekka007
Apprentice

For me I get 1.8-2x performance speedtests with beam forming ON

Message 37 of 44
Rustproofcorn
Luminary

I again don't know what that it. Maybe your too advanced for this product. Use these in ap mode. Lol.
Message 38 of 44
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I get better speeds as well with beam forming on. I did the update and no change with my android phone. Still dropping
Message 39 of 44
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Netgear tier 2 support is going to get on my router tomorrow most likely to do some debugging to see what's going on with it.
Message 40 of 44

Even from that article and others available online. Implicit beamforming is wave one implementation and spotty for IOT devices (smart devices nest etc). Explicit beamforming is wave two implementation created once beamforming was standardized and is designed for IOT devices and AC specific card use. All new Netgear routers support explicit but offer the option to enable implicit to assist older devices. With MU Mimo on and implicit off (thus enabling explicit by default) none of my IOT devices have dropped signal. (Philips lights, Sonos, Siri voice enabled smart products etc). I understand some homes may have older legacy wifi and may benefit slightly from it but IOT devices can stutter on that implementation. As noted even in that article on page one implicit beamforming is simply not as stable or as efficient as wave 2 explicit. I have noted no drop in speeds on any true AC wireless devices in my 3 story home since turning off implicit. I can post an article that similar to the other article lays out in layman terms the difference since wave 1 to wave 2.
Message 41 of 44
Rustproofcorn
Luminary

No kidding read the article. Implicit didn't work well. Beamfoaming already is enabled. Why turn in implicit? For it to work both hardware have to mesh which they may not. Only explicit is a standard the other is hit and miss. Good catch Irish. Gonna turn on mimo now.
Message 42 of 44
Jako888
Star

There seem to be two threats on the same topic. So post in both to make sure moderator picks it up and speak to the techies.

Installed .34 yesterday.

Still having iOS drop outs.  Netgear really need to get this sorted.  How hard can it be to test to make sure it works instead of releasing another firmware and cross fingers?

Message 43 of 44
MarkC1024
Luminary

We have an iOS household and no issues, so it might be difficult to reproduce and test.  Problem reproduction is a critical phase in fixing a problem.  Have you tried to do a network reset on your iOS device to see if that helps?

Message 44 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 43 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 15 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7