Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Firmware 2.3.5.30

ekhalil
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

Maybe there is a terminology issue?  When I set my phone to "Airplane mode", Bluetooth, WiFi, and Cellular all turn off.  Only NFC remains on.  No WiFi = no WiFi calling.

Correct, but after setting the phone to Airplane Mode, you you be able to enable Wifi. 

In iPhone Wifi will stay on after setting the phone into Airplane Mode.

Message 26 of 235
CrimpOn
Guru

Fascinating, "Airplane Mode" is a short-cut that turns off radios, but does not keep them off.

Learn something every day.  Thanks!

Message 27 of 235
ekhalil
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

Fascinating, "Airplane Mode" is a short-cut that turns off radios, but does not keep them off.

Learn something every day.  Thanks!

Wifi is an allowed radio in airplanes.

Message 28 of 235
bobluck
Initiate

Guess it's possible to make the web interface suck more. Just proved it by placing ads in it.

Message 29 of 235
XUSIBRO
Aspirant

Did the update successfully this afternoon. No idea how long it took, as I left the house. Things appear to be stable and normal. The only recent issues I was experiencing was a couple HomeKit light switches dropping out, presumably this is solved. Time will tell. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 30 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to do a new backup config to file for safe keeping. Mines online as of today offically. Looking good here. RBS is wired. No Config Sync issues. 

Message 31 of 235
schumaku
Guru

@CrimpOn wrote:

It's the most fascinating feature anyway: Enable something to disable multiple things (which can be enabled again, like Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, ... all allowed on board of most airlines). In fact it's a feature from the past: No aircraft will fall out from the skies even if all pax and crew have their mobiles on. The only nasty side effect - but typically not heard on airliner and business jet class planes - were GSM (2G) "noise" audible in the AM VHF, UHF, and HF radios while talking to the cells.

@bobluck wrote:

Guess it's possible to make the web interface suck more. Just proved it by placing ads in it.

Yes, that's like the green notification bar here in the community stating "To respond or post Please Login to Community" - while I'm posting here (logged in of course).

Message 32 of 235
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Be sure to do a new backup config to file for safe keeping. Mines online as of today offically. Looking good here. RBS is wired. No Config Sync issues. 

But you factory reset, yes?  Haven't seen too many happy posts of people simply using the update function.  

Message 33 of 235
Talk2Mike
Apprentice

I updated this morning and everything seems to be working fine. No issues to report so far. My Netatmo presence camera did fail to reconnect but a power cycle of the camera made it connect again.

Message 34 of 235
chuydv
Aspirant

I updated the firmware through the app and seems to connect fine to the internet, but (there is always a but)... now I am unable to connect to the Orbi App and the only way is to access remotely.  Additionally my wired  conection to Orbi is not recognized and connects it automatically to my spectrum modem, so I cannot access to routerlogin.com.

Does anyone have seen this? I hate to reset and connect again 20+ devices again. Ugh

Message 35 of 235
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@chuydv wrote:

I updated the firmware through the app and seems to connect fine to the internet, but (there is always a but)... now I am unable to connect to the Orbi App and the only way is to access remotely.  Additionally my wired  conection to Orbi is not recognized and connects it automatically to my spectrum modem, so I cannot access to routerlogin.com.

Does anyone have seen this? I hate to reset and connect again 20+ devices again. Ugh

This is the archtypical concern that some of us have,  Which is to say that the in place update when carrying over changed settings from stock leaves the system in a state where seemingly strange behaviors are observed, at which point the only viable recourse is to factory reset and clear out the entire network which can take hours of time to do correctly in a large family home.

Message 36 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Try orbilogin.com for Orbi web page. 

@chuydv wrote:

Message 37 of 235
Chp66
Aspirant

Updated firmware manually through the iOS app. WiFi was dropping on and off. Did factory reset on router and satellites. WiFi still continues to drop and come back up. No problems before update.
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 38 of 235
chuydv
Aspirant

I have a Orbi RBR40 connected to a  Wave 2 - RAC2V1S Sagemcom

The cable modem is an Ubee eMTA , Model: E31_2V1

I have it connected the Orbi to the Spectrum Router because when I got this new modem/router from spectrum it didn't work directly Orbi with the Cable Modem.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@chuydv wrote:

Message 39 of 235
Chp66
Aspirant

I downgraded the firmware to 2.3.1.58. Problem has been corrected. WiFi not dropping any more.
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 40 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

Next time, try a factory reset after upgrading FW to see if the problem continues before downgrading FW. 

Having no problems here...

@Chp66 wrote:
I downgraded the firmware to 2.3.1.58. Problem has been corrected. WiFi not dropping any more.

Message 41 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@chuydv wrote:

I have a Orbi RBR40 connected to a  Wave 2 - RAC2V1S Sagemcom

The cable modem is an Ubee eMTA , Model: E31_2V1

I have it connected the Orbi to the Spectrum Router because when I got this new modem/router from spectrum it didn't work directly Orbi with the Cable Modem.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@chuydv wrote:

Message 42 of 235
ekhalil
Master

I downgraded today to 2.3.1.60.

This is the first time that I downgrade to a previous release, but I could not find any other way, unfortunately!

Message 43 of 235
Chp66
Aspirant

I did a factory upgrade on the router and satellites after noticing the problems, but the issues persisted. Only then did I downgrade. No issues since then. Thanks
Message 44 of 235
Joboo7777
Apprentice

Upgraded RBR50 & RBS50 using auto upgrade through safari browser with no issues.

I run ALL default settings(no changes from factory) except:

- Set Static Open DNS IPs instead of using Auto ISP DNS

- Enable Implicit Beamforming in Advanced Wireless Settings

- Enable MU-MIMO in Advanced Wireless settings

I dont run Armor, Family Circle, or guest network. And I dont separate SSIDs

Message 45 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

Come back and let us know how it performs or if you see any other problems. Running similar setup here as well. 

Enjoy. 

@Joboo7777 wrote:

Upgraded RBR50 & RBS50 using auto upgrade through safari browser with no issues.

I run ALL default settings(no changes from factory) except:

- Set Static Open DNS IPs instead of using Auto ISP DNS

- Enable Implicit Beamforming in Advanced Wireless Settings

- Enable MU-MIMO in Advanced Wireless settings

I dont run Armor, Family Circle, or guest network. And I dont separate SSIDs

Message 46 of 235
chuydv
Aspirant

Does anyone have the link to download the 2.3.1.60 version?
Message 47 of 235
Swimmer63
Aspirant

I have an RBR50 with two RBS50 Satelites.  I went to check if I needed a firmware update.  iOS app always says no.  So I logged into the RBR50 UI on my phone.  Sure enough it set an update was needed.  I hit update and waited. 

When I restarted the UI I had version V2.3.5.30.  I could not remember if that's what I had or not.  So I tried logging into netgear.com.

After 30 minutes of trying to log in, including changing my password twice I gave up and just started browsing support. 

In support it showed the current update as being V2.3.1.60.  No where could I find anything higher than this version.  Am I dense?  Why do I have firmware that's a number of iterations past what is listed on the website?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 48 of 235
CrimpOn
Guru

Welcome to "Orbi World".  You have every reason to find the situation puzzling.  Previously, Netgear had the Orbi set up to update firmware automatically on a signal from Netgear.  (Some) Users were upset and angry when their networks updated and things stopped working.  Netgear started a beta program for "early adopters", but that still didn't address the problem.

So, these days, Netgear routers will "discover" that a new firmware is available when the user happens to navigate to web interface, and it's up to the user if they want to update or not.  Meanwhile, some other people at Netgear who maintain the support web site will eventually decide it's time to put the new firmware on the support site for download.

So, YES, the firmware you have is the "latest" firmware.  Since you posted on this thread, you are aware that lots of people have installed it.  Some are happy (me), and some are definitely NOT happy.

Those gadzillions of Orbi customers who never look at the Orbi web interface are blissfully unaware, and probably happy to be so.  At some (future) point, Netgear will probably force a firmware update on them, and they will (most likely) still be blissfully unaware.  UNLESS, of course, something "goes horribly wrong", in which case they may find this user forum and post a question.

Message 49 of 235
clammerds
Apprentice

@ekhalil I've not upgraded mine yet. Can you clarify the reason you had to downgrade in the end? I won't update my firmware if there's a good reason not to.

Thanks in advance for your reply

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 50 of 235
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7