Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Firmware 2.3.5.30

gr8sho
Virtuoso

@ekhalil wrote:

I downgraded today to 2.3.1.60.

This is the first time that I downgrade to a previous release, but I could not find any other way, unfortunately!

Wow.  Just, wow. 

can you say more about why you had to revert?

Message 51 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch. 

@Swimmer63 wrote:

I have an RBR50 with two RBS50 Satelites.  I went to check if I needed a firmware update.  iOS app always says no.  So I logged into the RBR50 UI on my phone.  Sure enough it set an update was needed.  I hit update and waited. 

When I restarted the UI I had version V2.3.5.30.  I could not remember if that's what I had or not.  So I tried logging into netgear.com.

After 30 minutes of trying to log in, including changing my password twice I gave up and just started browsing support. 

In support it showed the current update as being V2.3.1.60.  No where could I find anything higher than this version.  Am I dense?  Why do I have firmware that's a number of iterations past what is listed on the website?

Message 52 of 235
ekhalil
Master

@clammerds wrote:

@ekhalil I've not upgraded mine yet. Can you clarify the reason you had to downgrade in the end? I won't update my firmware if there's a good reason not to.

@clammerds , @gr8sho 

In 2.3.1.60 there was an issue where the Satellite will get "crazy" and starts affecting the whole system. Symptoms of the issue is that devices will start disconnecting wifi and moving between Satellite and Router every few seconds.

The fix for this issue in 2.3.1.60 was to delete the Satellite from the Router and factory resetting of the Satellite and then syncing the Satellite with the Router (by adding the Satellite as if it was new). That solved the issue in 2.3.1.60 every time this happened. This used to happen every month or more for me.

This exact same issue is also present in 2.3.5.30, BUT the above workaround does not work in 2.3.5.30., which made this software not useable for me. I see waves of wifi disconnects daily and I could not do anything about that. I tried many things but that did not help. Only powering off the Satellite solved the issue.

My analysis of this issue is that it's related to wired devices connected to the Satellite as well as to mesh audio systems. So probably only people with such configuration will see such issues.

Message 53 of 235
timch
Luminary

Just updated my firmware using the web gui.  The app wouldn’t do it.  All seems to be working fine. I have never needed to do a factory reset so fingers crossed.

Message 54 of 235
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@ekhalil wrote:  My analysis of this issue is that it's related to wired devices connected to the Satellite as well as to mesh audio systems. So probably only people with such configuration will see such issues.

I don't have Sonos, so can’t comment on it, but I do have my media streaming boxes hardwired to the RBS box. others have reported issues using Sonos.   
In a similar, now older thread, I had asked for dev support for disconnects with my Uverse settop box which was hardwired to the RBS. MY hypothesis was IGMPv3 traffic wasn't being handled correctly by the satellite, so I abandoned using that connection method.  I never heard back on the issue, nor is it referenced in the release notes.  
I'm not saying the issues are related, only that functionality one would expect to work in the satellite, isn't.  

Message 55 of 235
tgltgl
Star

I updated as well (without reconfiguring) and all is working fine with normal speeds. I used the web interface to upgrade.

Message 56 of 235
MishoA
Tutor

same here

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 57 of 235
Monti9901
Aspirant

Same issue as with every update. The update went fine, yet the speed was capped at 100mbps (i have 1gbps fiber). A factory reset and setup from scratch solved it.

Message 58 of 235
Monti9901
Aspirant

Also additional question, does the "Speed Test" now change anything on the QOS side of things, or it trully is just a speed test?

Message 59 of 235
Fl1ntstone
Apprentice

Here is what happened to me after successfully upgrading my RBR40 which is using 2x RBW30s. Used the IOS APP on 11/07/19 to do the upgrade.  Took about 10 minutes and everything connected ok and was stable.  About a day later my Internet access via WiFi was down, so did a power cycle of the RBR40 and everything came back and has been stable since 🙂

CheerZ

Message 60 of 235
varase
Guide

I upgraded each satellite, then the main router, but when everything came back up had a speedtest problem where the speed would clock in at less than half of my allowed bandwidth.

So ... I reset the cable modem, power cycled the RBR50, and power cycled each of the RBS50s and waited for everyone to resume talking to one another.

Result: speedtest came back with anticipated speed, and all seems to be well.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 61 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Seem to take a power cycle and a few minutes for the system to settle in. Glad it's working for you. Enjoy. 

@varase wrote:

I upgraded each satellite, then the main router, but when everything came back up had a speedtest problem where the speed would clock in at less than half of my allowed bandwidth.

So ... I reset the cable modem, power cycled the RBR50, and power cycled each of the RBS50s and waited for everyone to resume talking to one another.

Result: speedtest came back with anticipated speed, and all seems to be well.

Message 62 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Seem to take a power cycle and a few minutes for the system to settle in. Glad it's working for you. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Fl1ntstone wrote:

Here is what happened to me after successfully upgrading my RBR40 which is using 2x RBW30s. Used the IOS APP on 11/07/19 to do the upgrade.  Took about 10 minutes and everything connected ok and was stable.  About a day later my Internet access via WiFi was down, so did a power cycle of the RBR40 and everything came back and has been stable since 🙂

CheerZ

Message 63 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

@Monti9901 wrote:

Same issue as with every update. The update went fine, yet the speed was capped at 100mbps (i have 1gbps fiber). A factory reset and setup from scratch solved it.

Message 64 of 235
ekhalil
Master

@Monti9901 wrote:

...... does the "Speed Test" now change anything on the QOS side of things, or it trully is just a speed test?

@Monti9901 The Speed Test has always been just a speed test and had nothing to do with QoS although it was located under QoS in the web GUI.

Message 65 of 235
schumaku
Guru

@ekhalil wrote:

@Monti9901 The Speed Test has always been just a speed test and had nothing to do with QoS although it was located under QoS in the web GUI.

Hm, with QoS enabled, the new throughput data will be applied to the QoS configuration, isn't it?

Message 66 of 235
ekhalil
Master

@schumaku wrote:

Hm, with QoS enabled, the new throughput data will be applied to the QoS configuration, isn't it?

I did not see that the speed test did any effect on the QoS configuration. Have you?

I think that this is why Netgear has now decided to just call it Speed Test in the web GUI, since it has nothing to do with QoS!

Message 67 of 235
alghawi
Aspirant

ok just bought new one. updated via app. everything is fine. but lost internet connection after 20min. tried everything still the issue prisist. the only solution right now is to turn the router off and on again. any fix
Message 68 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

Hard to tell. New systems usually come with old FW and there is a couple of intermediate builds that have to be applied first before setting to the latest. Possible that the system was doing this and eventually got updated however needed a power cycle to clear it all out. 

Is the system working now after the power cycle? If not, try a factory reset on the RBR and power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds then back on then walk thru the setup wizard with a wired PC with the RBR...

@alghawi wrote:
ok just bought new one. updated via app. everything is fine. but lost internet connection after 20min. tried everything still the issue prisist. the only solution right now is to turn the router off and on again. any fix

Message 69 of 235
clammerds
Apprentice

@ekhalil Thanks for your reply.

So, if your analysis is correct, I should be fine provided I don't have devices hard wired to the satellite? If they're not hard wired to the Satellite then it doesn't matter if they're also connected to mesh systems (which I don't have now either).

I used to have a Sonos Boost which was hard wired to the RBR50 but that caused lots of issues back in the early days so eventually I took boost out of the equation and they just connect to the router directly now. I *think* that the issue [Sonos Boost) was resolved in the end but haven't bothered bringing Sonos boost back into the equation because it doesn't seem worth the risk seeing as all is behaving ok at the moment.

It's a shame 2.3.5.30 was released wiht the issue you are experiencing. If only there was a group of people who knew their stuff (at least the basics) that NG could send beta firmware for testing before release? 😉 (Wonder why they've abandoned that now?)

Message 70 of 235
alghawi
Aspirant

Hi ty for the reply.

I'm not sure what happened. Its now working fine and no issue.
The only thing I remember doing is shutting down my other Netgear xr700 that was connected to it and I went to sleep. Woke up and orbi was working fine.

When I go back home I will switch on xr700 and see if it has anything to do with orbi internet disconnection
Message 71 of 235
Monti9901
Aspirant

Even after a full factory reset i am still having issues the wifi. It keeps going on and off, the devices are losing, then coming back, every 1-2mins. It's all default, apart from the WiFi name. Any ideas? This happens even without the satellites being on.

Message 72 of 235
ekhalil
Master

@alghawi wrote:

@alghawi When this happens, does the Router's top LED turn magenta? Also can you please check the ISP Lease time in the web GUI under >> ADVANCED >> ADVANCED Home >> CONNECTION STATUS >> and check the displayed Lease Obtained and Lease Expires values when this issue happens

Message 73 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Monti9901 wrote:

Even after a full factory reset i am still having issues the wifi. It keeps going on and off, the devices are losing, then coming back, every 1-2mins. It's all default, apart from the WiFi name. Any ideas? This happens even without the satellites being on.

Message 74 of 235
Monti9901
Aspirant

Hello,

Orbi 50, 1 router in router mode, 2 sattelites (currently off). Distance and size are irrelevant for now as I am sitting 30cm from the router with the phone and few other devices around that keep falling off constantly.

No neighbours, it's set on auto. It was on auto on the previous firmware as well and had no issues.

I 've tried enabling/disable these with no effect: 

Beamforming 

MIMO

Daisy chain

Fast roaming.

I ll try the manual channel and and coexistence and update.

Thanks for the help.

Message 75 of 235
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7