Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Firmware 2.3.5.30

FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What devices are connected to the RBR? 

Might try a manual FW file load to the RBR using a wired PC and web browser. Re-load the FW file. AFter it's loaded, factory reset and setup from scratch. Try the manual channel suggestion, and enable Beamforming and WMM. Disable Daisy chain. 

@Monti9901 wrote:

Hello,

Orbi 50, 1 router in router mode, 2 sattelites (currently off). Distance and size are irrelevant for now as I am sitting 30cm from the router with the phone and few other devices around that keep falling off constantly.

No neighbours, it's set on auto. It was on auto on the previous firmware as well and had no issues.

I 've tried enabling/disable these with no effect: 

Beamforming 

MIMO

Daisy chain

Fast roaming.

I ll try the manual channel and and coexistence and update.

Thanks for the help.

Message 76 of 235
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@Monti9901 wrote:

Even after a full factory reset i am still having issues the wifi. It keeps going on and off, the devices are losing, then coming back, every 1-2mins. It's all default, apart from the WiFi name. Any ideas? This happens even without the satellites being on.

It is plausible, and I've seen this myself, that the modem/gatway/router the Orbi is connected to can wreak havoc on how the Orbi itself works, even when the Orbi is in a factore reset state.  The two main culprits I'm aware of is if the Host and Orbi are using the same subnet range, and/or the host router port is not configured to "bridge" the internet connection to the Orbi.

Message 77 of 235
Fl1ntstone
Apprentice

Hi,

Have you tried AP mode to see if that makes a difference?

CheerZ
Message 78 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you responding to @Monti9901 post? 

@Fl1ntstone wrote:
Hi,

Have you tried AP mode to see if that makes a difference?

CheerZ

Message 79 of 235
alghawi
Aspirant

No light on top of the router.

Message 80 of 235
alghawi
Aspirant

ok i went back home and switched on my other router xr700 nighthawk, after 20 min i lost internt. the strange thing is that i do not see any light in my Orbi router i just dont have internet

Message 81 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

How is the system set up? 

ISP modem>XR700>Orbi in AP mode? 

What is the Mfr and model # of the ISP modem? 

@alghawi wrote:

ok i went back home and switched on my other router xr700 nighthawk, after 20 min i lost internt. the strange thing is that i do not see any light in my Orbi router i just dont have internet

Message 82 of 235
CrimpOn
Guru

@alghawi wrote:

No light on top of the router.

This may not be relevant, but I had a mysterious experience with Spectrum cable this week.  I noticed web pages not loading and looked over at the Spectrum modem.  The "Online" LED was white instead of blue.  My phone switches from WiFi to LTE and a web search turned up an outage in several nearby cities (including mine).

The goofy part is that the Orbi ring never showed anything.  No magenta.  No flashing.  Nothing!  My hypotheses is that (a) the Orbi had an IP address already from the modem, and (b) the ethernet connection between the two was still up, so the Orbi was "just waiting."  (for about an hour as it turned out).

I have no solution for your problem, except that we cannot count on the Orbi to "turn red" when something is wrong with the internet connection.

Message 83 of 235

Updated trough the web inteface today and everything went fine.

I also got an update to my ad on satelite (RBW30) to version V2.3.5.6

Everything is showing backhaul status "good" and no problems what so ever to report.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 84 of 235
alghawi
Aspirant

ISP>Orbi>Xr700 router mode

i dont know what mode is my Orbi

Message 85 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

The Orbi should be in router mode.

If your going to use the XR700 in router mode, then you'll need to input the IP address the XR router gets from the ORbi router into the Orbi RBRs DMZ. Be sure to setup a IP address reservation ON the Orbi RBR for the XR router so it's IP address doesn't change. 

@alghawi wrote:

ISP>Orbi>Xr700 router mode

i dont know what mode is my Orbi

Message 86 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Besure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Christian_W wrote:

Updated trough the web inteface today and everything went fine.

I also got an update to my ad on satelite (RBW30) to version V2.3.5.6

Everything is showing backhaul status "good" and no problems what so ever to report.

Message 87 of 235
Monti9901
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Might try a manual FW file load to the RBR using a wired PC and web browser. Re-load the FW file. AFter it's loaded, factory reset and setup from scratch. Try the manual channel suggestion, and enable Beamforming and WMM. Disable Daisy chain. 

@Monti9901 wrote:

Hello,

Orbi 50, 1 router in router mode, 2 sattelites (currently off). Distance and size are irrelevant for now as I am sitting 30cm from the router with the phone and few other devices around that keep falling off constantly.

No neighbours, it's set on auto. It was on auto on the previous firmware as well and had no issues.

Beamforming 

MIMO

Daisy chain

Fast roaming.

Thanks for the help.

That worked yes, had to do it on the two satellites after they came online. What a pain in the butt every single update is 😞 

Message 88 of 235
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@Monti9901

What a pain in the butt every single update is 😞 

Ain't that the truth!

Message 89 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

Make sure you do a backup configuration to file. Since you have a clean FW installed system now, maybe next time the FW update from the RBRs web page will go more smoothly. Try the FW update next time from the update page when a new FW update comes out. If you want too. Again, NG isn't forcing updates anymore. There just letting the systems know that when there is one, it's available. It's up to users to update FW now. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Monti9901 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@Monti9901 wrote:

Hello,

Beamforming 

MIMO

Daisy chain

Fast roaming.

Thanks for the help.

That worked yes, had to do it on the two satellites after they came online. What a pain in the butt every single update is 😞 

Message 90 of 235
larryindublin
Luminary

I bet Netgear/Orbi wishes they could figure out what's causing these occasional (seems pretty rare to me) issues people have. I've been on Orbi since Black Friday 2017 through Costco. We're at 35+ devices, mix of ipads, iphones, android phones, streaming devices, Alexa devices, Ring Doorbell, Samsung smartthings hub, Blink cameras, Ring Cameras, windows pcs's.... In router mode using 1 Base and 1 Satellite (holding on to 2nd satellite until basement is finished if I need it or just as a spare), wireless backhaul. Base/Router on 2nd floor by Cable modem (Spectrum 70/5 service) toward back of house and satellite in downstairs dining room toward front of house (2200 sq ft). I can pretty much get max speed on any modern 5g device from sidewalk to backyard deck. Standard settings mostly (aggressive turned on) but in a busy neighborhood so have 20/40 turned on to be a good neighborhood.

Wish everyone had as stable an environment as I do. Have never had a glitch and have upgraded to just about every firmware they've released.

Message 91 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

Some of these issues are mis-configurations of Orbi systems. There are some FW issues I presume which are mostly resolved by factory resets and setup from scratch that seems to help clear out lingering FW code and user mis-configurations. 

I to have a buddy whos system was setup a couple of years ago by me from day one. FW updates applied and has had zero issues ever.  Lucky ones I guess. 

@larryindublin wrote:

I bet Netgear/Orbi wishes they could figure out what's causing these occasional (seems pretty rare to me) issues people have. I've been on Orbi since Black Friday 2017 through Costco. We're at 35+ devices, mix of ipads, iphones, android phones, streaming devices, Alexa devices, Ring Doorbell, Samsung smartthings hub, Blink cameras, Ring Cameras, windows pcs's.... In router mode using 1 Base and 1 Satellite (holding on to 2nd satellite until basement is finished if I need it or just as a spare), wireless backhaul. Base/Router on 2nd floor by Cable modem (Spectrum 70/5 service) toward back of house and satellite in downstairs dining room toward front of house (2200 sq ft). I can pretty much get max speed on any modern 5g device from sidewalk to backyard deck. Standard settings mostly (aggressive turned on) but in a busy neighborhood so have 20/40 turned on to be a good neighborhood.

Wish everyone had as stable an environment as I do. Have never had a glitch and have upgraded to just about every firmware they've released.

Message 92 of 235
pablohoney
Luminary

Before Furry suggests a factory reset as he/she seems to for every little thing anyone with a real in depth technical knowledge know why my Bowers and Wilkins A7 wifi speaker keeps getting “kicked off” the satellite and connects to the main Orbi even though the satellite is about 10 feet in front of the A7 speaker and the main Orbi is in a different room? I have to re-set up the A7 every time if I want it to connect to the satellite Orbi. It only did this on the previous firmware if there was a power cut etc. The wifi in the A7 seems to be old as it only connects at 54Mbps when connected to the satellite.
Message 93 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

The handling of how the wifi signal is done at the device, not by the Orbi. So if the speaker set is disconnecting from the satellite and to the Orbi, it thinks the signal is either better from the RBR or something else. Something to ask the Mfr about. 

Do you only have 1 satellite? If so, is Daisy Chain disabled? 

Using Auto or manual channels on the Orbi. 

Age of the wifi on the device maybe a factor as well. 

@pablohoney wrote:
Before Furry suggests a factory reset as he/she seems to for every little thing anyone with a real in depth technical knowledge know why my Bowers and Wilkins A7 wifi speaker keeps getting “kicked off” the satellite and connects to the main Orbi even though the satellite is about 10 feet in front of the A7 speaker and the main Orbi is in a different room? I have to re-set up the A7 every time if I want it to connect to the satellite Orbi. It only did this on the previous firmware if there was a power cut etc. The wifi in the A7 seems to be old as it only connects at 54Mbps when connected to the satellite.

Message 94 of 235
pablohoney
Luminary

Yeah, it’s a couple of years old. I think it only uses the “b” wireless channel. I can get it to connect to the satellite when I reconnect it alright but it seems to connect to the main Orbi router after a period of time when not in use. I thought it was more stable on the previous firmware version to this one though.
Message 95 of 235
pablohoney
Luminary

PS, yes 1 satellite and daisy chain disabled. I’m using channel 1 for 2.4GHz
Message 96 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you use a different channel, like 6 or 11? 

B mode devices may not fully support WPA2 or AES, So as a quick test, set the RBR to WPA and TPIK and just connect the speaker system to the Orbi and see how it does. WPA would not be optimal for security reason. Just to see if maybe the system might work better for this older device. 

@pablohoney wrote:
Yeah, it’s a couple of years old. I think it only uses the “b” wireless channel. I can get it to connect to the satellite when I reconnect it alright but it seems to connect to the main Orbi router after a period of time when not in use. I thought it was more stable on the previous firmware version to this one though.

Message 97 of 235
ekhalil
Master

@pablohoney wrote:
....... I can get it to connect to the satellite when I reconnect it alright but it seems to connect to the main Orbi router after a period of time when not in use. I thought it was more stable on the previous firmware version to this one though.

2.4 GHz devices tend to not like high power coming from very close access points (consider them as noisy) and prefer to connect to "moderate" power channels if available.

I would suggest to reduce the transmission power of the 2.4 GHz band and see if the speakers will start prefering the nearby Satellite.

This can be done under >> ADVANCED >> Advanced Setup >> Wireless Settings 

Message 98 of 235
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@pablohoney wrote:
Yeah, it’s a couple of years old.

Does the B&W device still get firmware updates?  

I suppose you could also try a full reset on just the satellite to see if that clears up the problem.  

Message 99 of 235
rhester72
Virtuoso

It's worth noting that, for the first time, Guest Isolation appears to fully work as designed.  You can't see anything other than your own device, the AP, and the gateway (if separate) in Fing.

Message 100 of 235
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7