Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Firmware 2.3.5.30

ekhalil
Master

@AFD wrote:

.......... Same disconnection problems in my case ,  regarding cameras because they are so far from the main router and it supposed them must be connected to the satellite . .......    

1. What happens if you switch off the cameras and turn on again, will it then connect to the nearest node (router/satellite)?
  2. Have you waited for some time to see if the cameras will roam by themselves to the better node? It’s the camera who should choose to which radio signal to connect. 
Message 201 of 235
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks for the tip . I'm going to disconnect (turn off) and connect (turn on) all the devices that supposed to be connected to the satellite to see what happens . Turn off/on the main router and the satellite didn't solve the problem until now . This is the third day with the issue , so I think is enough time to allow the roaming of the devices by themselves . Besides is not only the cameras (there are some alarms , sensors and smartplugs that suppose to be connected to the satellite. During today I'm going to perform this action and let you know .
Message 202 of 235
triak
Aspirant

Firmware 2.3.5.30 is an absoolute disaster. My orbi system was getting disconnected from internet time to time. Lets say twice a week or a little more often. In order to fix this I went ahead and upgraded the firmware to  2.3.5.30, now it keeps rebooting every 2 hours or even less. I tried to capture the traffic to see whats going on with wireshark and did not see anything obvious. Netgear please fix this. I cannot return this product because, I have been using it for a little more than a year. 

Netgear, please fix this mess. I am a software engineer in a big software company any this is not how a product is developed. You guys simply making a hardware and push it out there with fancy new features without even testing it much. Please stop creating new models and work a little on reliability.  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 203 of 235
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@triak wrote:

Firmware 2.3.5.30 is an absoolute disaster.

Just curious.....did you do the FW update manually or was it performed auto-update?

Message 204 of 235
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

I didn't perform any action from my side to perform the update . I assume it was an auto update .
It's a disaster , also WiFi is unstable . Let's see if I have some time today to rollback . For the moment, status is : all the devices connected to the main router with the mentioned problems .
Message 205 of 235
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@AFD wrote:
I didn't perform any action from my side to perform the update . I assume it was an auto update .
It's a disaster , also WiFi is unstable . Let's see if I have some time today to rollback . For the moment, status is : all the devices connected to the main router with the mentioned problems .

Do you have another router in your network?

Message 206 of 235
triak
Aspirant

It was a manual update. It was an attempt to fix my ongoing isssues with the earlier versions. Now I reverted the upgrade. Now it takes 15hours to 48 hours to go unresponsive 😞

Message 207 of 235
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@triak wrote:

It was a manual update. It was an attempt to fix my ongoing isssues with the earlier versions. Now I reverted the upgrade. Now it takes 15hours to 48 hours to go unresponsive 😞

wow...so you have never been right

Message 208 of 235
triak
Aspirant

Yeah, unfortunately.
It was requiring  twice a week regular manual power cycle. Because of the new firmware I am now closely monitoring the "debug" page and it tells how long the router was up. Probably it was always like that earlier and I was not aware about the debug page. 

Message 209 of 235
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

To the question if I have another router in my network . Answer is no . I don't have any router in my network just the Orbi System .
Message 210 of 235
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

Start testing with the following Steps

1 - Start disconnection (turn off-on) of each device thta supposed to be connected to the satellite (more than 20 devices) 

2 - Verify the connections  

3 - Depending on the results 1-2 go to factory reset and reinstall 2.3.1.44 (manually) 

4 - Restore the previously config file saved 2 months ago . 

Thanks for all the collaboration and support . Im going to keep you informed about the results  

By the way , it seems that unstable wifi is better now (I dont know why , because I didn't perform any action , but let's see) 

Message 211 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

It's best to start by doing a factory reset on the system and setup from scratch after updating FW. 

Message 212 of 235
MishoA
Tutor

@FURRYe38  I have a question for you. I noticed you have a lot of experience with the ORBI and your advise would be much appreciated. 
I have an ORBI RBR50 with one satelite RBS50
I have followed your suggestions from other posts disabled Daisy chain, set it to 40hz only, MIMO and so on. It works great without disconnects perfectly, except when my ISP goes down and then back up. That disconnects start all over. When I send out a ping through command prompt lets say ping www.ibm.com -t.. After lets say the 10th try, the ping would either go above 1000ms or straight up Request Time out and then back to normal and after few more pings does the same thing. Now the only way I have found for it to work is if I turn off my modem, router and sat, and then turn on the modem, wait till I get a couple of lights out of 4, turn on the rbr50, wait till it turns on and start blinking as if it is trying to sync and then turn on the satallite. If I don't follow it through exactly, I have to redo it all over again. Any suggestions?

P.S I have done factory reset and it works until the power goes out or the ISP is having issues and it does it all over again

Message 213 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Manufacturer and model of the ISP modem? Built in router here or stand alone modem only?

Kind of sounds like the ISP service line needs to be looked into.

I would download pingplotter.com and install on a wired PC. Connect it directly to the ISP Modem with out the RBR online. Run some plots to pingplotter.com and let it run for a while if you can. See if it picks up any errors or Pack Loss along the way. 

Ensure your ISP as checked the service line up to the ISP Modem. 

If a cable modem, be sure to use good quality RG6 coax cabling. 

Ensure there are no coax cable line splitters between the ISP service box and the modem.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@MishoA wrote:

@FURRYe38  I have a question for you. I noticed you have a lot of experience with the ORBI and your advise would be much appreciated. 
I have an ORBI RBR50 with one satelite RBS50
I have followed your suggestions from other posts disabled Daisy chain, set it to 40hz only, MIMO and so on. It works great without disconnects perfectly, except when my ISP goes down and then back up. That disconnects start all over. When I send out a ping through command prompt lets say ping www.ibm.com -t.. After lets say the 10th try, the ping would either go above 1000ms or straight up Request Time out and then back to normal and after few more pings does the same thing. Now the only way I have found for it to work is if I turn off my modem, router and sat, and then turn on the modem, wait till I get a couple of lights out of 4, turn on the rbr50, wait till it turns on and start blinking as if it is trying to sync and then turn on the satallite. If I don't follow it through exactly, I have to redo it all over again. Any suggestions?

P.S I have done factory reset and it works until the power goes out or the ISP is having issues and it does it all over again

Message 214 of 235
MishoA
Tutor

I have Spectrum 400mbps package,using my own cable modem, Netgear CM500, and it worked without any issues when I used it with my  NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S - AC2600. I had to replace it because of the range. Definitely the range between the rbr50 and rbs50 is about 30 feet or slightly more and the sq footage of the house is about 3150. I tried setting the channel to 1, 6 and 11 for the 2.4 ghz for the wireless devices but the thing is that I am plugged in directly to my satellite with an ethernet cable and was seeing the disconnects. I will do as you suggest connecting directly to the modem and try out pingplotter. Also, definitely no splitters or anything like that.

Message 215 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you seeing problems with a wired PC connected to the RBR? 

@MishoA wrote:

I have Spectrum 400mbps package,using my own cable modem, Netgear CM500, and it worked without any issues when I used it with my  NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S - AC2600. I had to replace it because of the range. Definitely the range between the rbr50 and rbs50 is about 30 feet or slightly more and the sq footage of the house is about 3150. I tried setting the channel to 1, 6 and 11 for the 2.4 ghz for the wireless devices but the thing is that I am plugged in directly to my satellite with an ethernet cable and was seeing the disconnects. I will do as you suggest connecting directly to the modem and try out pingplotter. Also, definitely no splitters or anything like that.

Message 216 of 235
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

Problem solved(??) for the moment , status follows  

This is the Method I used in my case 

1 - Factory reset 

2 - Manual installation Firmware 2.3.1.44

3 - Load Configuration file from Backup

4 - Testing everything with old firmware (OK) 

5 - Manual installation Firmware 2.3.5.30 

6 - Turn OFF/ON all the devices that supposed to be connected to the satellite 

7 - Testing everything since 2 hours ago (seems to be ok)

Let's see what happen . Firmware 2.3.5.30 (up and running) .

Message 217 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep us posted on how it goes. A factory reset seems to help resolve some issues. Also manual load of FW files is good too. 

Message 218 of 235
MishoA
Tutor

Since I did the steps I mentioned in my earlier post, it has been stable and haven't seen any issues. Unfortunately, I was so annoyed and forgot to do the obvious and connect to the RBR directly. When the that occurs again, I will defintely do that first and let you know. Thanks for the advice!

Message 219 of 235
MishoA
Tutor

@MishoA wrote:

Since I did the steps I mentioned in my earlier post, it has been stable and haven't seen any issues. Unfortunately, I was so annoyed and forgot to do the obvious and connect to the RBR directly. When the that occurs again, I will defintely do that first and let you know. Thanks for the advice!

Sorry forgot to quote the correct post

Are you seeing problems with a wired PC connected to the RBR? 

Message 220 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

Hope it works out well for you. 

Message 221 of 235
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

Up & Running with 2.3.5.30 .

Almost 2 days with no (bad) news . Everything seems to run fine with no noticed issues (until now). 

Satellite Devices are connected as expected . 

Cameras running ok 

IR/RF remote controls , devices and RF lights are operating as expected . (RF is posted because the remote controls are connecting to Orbi wia WiFi and send RF signals to different devices)  

Keep you posted in case of problems . 

Thanks to everybody for helping and supporting 

Message 222 of 235
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Glad it's all working for you now. I knew it would. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 223 of 235
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Thanks for letting us know. Glad it's all working for you now. I knew it would. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

IF you knew that, perhaps you can work on shorting up the troubleshooting process.  Still trying to figure the wifi channel and neighbors question.

Message 224 of 235
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@MishoA wrote:

It works great without disconnects perfectly, except when my ISP goes down and then back up. straight up 

I've seen something like this before with a personally owned modem.  Unfortunately was never able to resolve it.   Do you have option to put the modem and RBR50 on UPS power.  This would only prove that power cycling the modem is or isn't causing the problem.  

Message 225 of 235
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7