Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Firmware v2.5.0.38

FURRYe38
Guru

New Firmware v2.5.0.38

All RBK 5 series Orbi's.

FW not yet available on the download site for manual installation...

Please perform a BACKUP configuration to file. Then update the RBS first then RBR lastly. Factory reset the RBR and RBS and setup from scratch if you have problems after the udpate!

Current Version: V2.3.5.30

New Version: V2.5.0.38    

Release Notes:
[Bug Fix] Fixes issues with the Apple HomeKit connectivity.

[Bug Fix] Fixes the wireless crash and reboot issue when the router is under stress.

[Bug Fix] Fixes the WiFi disconnection and IOT issue.

[Bug Fix] Fixes the guest isolation issue for multicast and broadcast traffic between the main host and guest.

[Bug Fix] Fixes the Ethernet backhaul boot-sequence issue.

[Bug Fix] Updates the OpenVPN certificate from MD5 to SHA-256.
[New Features and Enhancements] Enhances the device recognition mechanism of the attached devices list.
[Bug Fixes] Fixes the compatibility issue with Sonos devices.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 126

Accepted Solutions
sgrayban
Apprentice

Re: New Firmware v2.5.0.38

Message 65 of 126

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

My recommendation is IF your network is running with no problems, leave it alone.  

Message 2 of 126
Overlandr
Aspirant

Logged in to router. Saw the update for main router and satellite.

Downloaded, installed and rebooted.

Everything running perfect after the update. Was running perfect before update as well.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Be sure to do a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Overlandr wrote:

Logged in to router. Saw the update for main router and satellite.

Downloaded, installed and rebooted.

Everything running perfect after the update. Was running perfect before update as well.

Message 4 of 126
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Overlandr wrote:

So what did the update do??

Message 5 of 126
CrimpOn
Guru

Wonder if they updated the Entrust Certificate with this release.  i.e. do an https: connection to the web interface and no longer get the "Expired Certificate" warning.

Message 6 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

I didn't see that in the release notes...maybe or maybe not. I'll be updating mine here soon and will check on this. 

Message 7 of 126
kyleb88
Guide

Loaded up this firmware and factory reset. With in 10 minutes of it loading it had rebooted already and lost connection. I'll keep factory resetting and trying. Everything on auto and the satallite is just through the wall about 5ft away.

Message 8 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

RBS should be father then 5ft. 30 is recommended to start. 

Is this just test location distance or is this normal placement distance? 

What is the Mfr and model # of the ISP modem the RBR is connected too? 

@kyleb88 wrote:

Loaded up this firmware and factory reset. With in 10 minutes of it loading it had rebooted already and lost connection. I'll keep factory resetting and trying. Everything on auto and the satallite is just through the wall about 5ft away.

Message 9 of 126
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@kyleb88 wrote:

was it working before the update?

Message 10 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, my RBK50 is setup and running. Use the Update ALL to apply the new version. Factory reset RBS and RBR and setup from scratch.

Satellite works wired and wireless.

Message 11 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 12 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

I see new device icons being displayed under the attached devices list. 

Message 13 of 126
goldbondx
Apprentice

3 outage since applying this upgrade in less than 3 hours.  I will be verify ing if any ISP issues. But, overall not very happy at the moment.

Message 14 of 126
CrimpOn
Guru

[Bug Fix] Updates the OpenVPN certificate from MD5 to SHA-256.

In addition to the Entrust Certificate for https, it would be helpful if someone verifies whether this change in OpenVPN means that new Windows/Mac/Phone ovpn files need to be generated and deployed to devices that use VPN.  This could be sort of a "Catch 22".  i.e. VPN into the Orbi to update firmware, and after the firmware update the VPN no longer works until a new ovpn file is installed, which cannot be downloaded because VPN no longer works.

Message 15 of 126
goldbondx
Apprentice

So, I can't edit...so I am posting again..

Why does this thread address RBK only? (can't seem to find same for RBR50)  I want to rollback and the download location for RBR50 seems to have some ancient  builds only?

Message 16 of 126
CrimpOn
Guru

"RBK" is the "package" designation that includes one RBR50 and one or more RBS satellites.  As @FURRYe38 mentioned, this new firmware release is not yet on the support page for manual download.  It showed up today on my Orbi "Firmware Update" web page.

The support web site https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR50.aspx#download includes the "current" firmware. Click on the "plus sign" and it shows many prior firmware releases.

Firmware.PNG

Message 17 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

v.38 is only currently available in the RBRs FW update web page. Check there for this update. It's only available for download and installation if you want it. You don't have to install it. 

@goldbondx wrote:

So, I can't edit...so I am posting again..

Why does this thread address RBK only? (can't seem to find same for RBR50)  I want to rollback and the download location for RBR50 seems to have some ancient  builds only?

Message 18 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

I can confirm with v38. Conneted Devices appears and are correctly icon'd. However after editing about three items the UI seems to stop accepting changes. Using Opera on OSX 10.14.6

@Blanca_O 

@Christian_R 

Otherwise, system is working. 

System Uptime 19:32:50

Message 19 of 126
BIG9MM
Apprentice

Fixes the guest isolation issue for multicast and broadcast traffic between the main host and guest.

Hell yes, an update to fix it!!! I would update!!

"Fixes the guest isolation issue for multicast and broadcast traffic between the main host and guest."

Message 20 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank for letting us know your experiences. Be sure to do a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. 

@BIG9MM wrote:

Fixes the guest isolation issue for multicast and broadcast traffic between the main host and guest.

Hell yes, an update to fix it!!! I would update!!

"Fixes the guest isolation issue for multicast and broadcast traffic between the main host and guest."

Message 21 of 126
gr8sho
Virtuoso

gr8sho@gmail.com

@Retired_Member wrote:

My recommendation is IF your network is running with no problems, leave it alone.  

My IPTV setup was acting up intermittently, and the release notes mentioned multicast changes, so dove in.  After wasting the whole day going down various rabbit holes, including so many factory resets I lost count, was left with a sad decision to pull my Uverse traffic off of the Orbi.  Settings were entered both manually and via restore, made no difference.  IGMP appears to be completely broken.  

I can no longer recommend the Orbi product for this use case.  There are a class of users that would have benefited from removing the gateway from the active configuration.  

The worst part turned out a factory reset of one of the set-top boxes failed, and ended up having to research the issue and determined the device could not access the internet to pull the latest firmware either through the satellite or thorough the base router.  

Message 22 of 126
Chuck_M
Mentor

I was glad to see this update came in and updated flawlessly.

I do like the new icons for attached devices.  

Being a Sonos owner, any tweaks are greatly appreciated.

So far, so good.  No hiccups.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 23 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it working well. Thanks for letting us know. Mines been online since the FW came out and installed. I did the manual update and reset process. The naming of the devices is a known issue which NG is aware of. Other than this. Been running solid. 

@Chuck_M wrote:

I was glad to see this update came in and updated flawlessly.

I do like the new icons for attached devices.  

Being a Sonos owner, any tweaks are greatly appreciated.

So far, so good.  No hiccups.

Message 24 of 126
jasonrdunn
Star

I did this update and it removed my split WiFi network, so it knocked a bunch of devices off my network and when I did the split again (to get distinct SSIDs for 2.4Ghz and 5.2Ghz) after a reboot it reverted. I am in WiFi hell. I'm going to try the split again in a bit.

And before anyone asks, the reason I had to do the split WiFi was for some home automation switches. No other way to get them set up. 

Message 25 of 126
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7