Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Firmware v2.5.0.38

sgrayban
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Whats the distance between the RBR and RBS? 

Try syncing the RBS in the same room as the RBR to check this. Give up to 5 minutes for the RBS to complete the sync. Look at the top LED of the RBS while it's syncing. BLUE should be seen then it should go out. Check the RBSs web page to see if the SSID is the same as the RBRs. It should be. 

I tried everything.... All I want to do now is rollback the RBR50 to the previous version... I can't figure out how to do that.

Message 51 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Not sure what that picture is of. 

You can download FW files from NG support site. 

Good Luck. 

Message 52 of 126
sgrayban
Apprentice

That photo shows the backhaul not connected...

I have the previous FW and I downgraded the RBS50 but I can't figure out how to do that on the RBR50... I asuuming no one knows how to do that because I have asked 3 times.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Not sure what that picture is of. 

You can download FW files from NG support site. 

Good Luck. 

Message 53 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

What was the top LED status on the RBS when you were attempting to get the RBS connected? 

Sometimes the UI takes longer to update than the acutal connection as well. 

Message 54 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

You happen to try the RBS wired to the RBR? 

This pic of mine connected to the RBR. 

Message 55 of 126
sgrayban
Apprentice

Purple then blue then white. I tried syncing again still not connected.

Message 56 of 126
sgrayban
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You happen to try the RBS wired to the RBR? 

This pic of mine connected to the RBR. 

Not possible

Message 57 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

So you can't take the RBS to the same room and get a patch LAN cable connected between the RBR and RBS to run a quick temporary setup to see if the RBS will connect? 

Message 58 of 126
sgrayban
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

So you can't take the RBS to the same room and get a patch LAN cable connected between the RBR and RBS to run a quick temporary setup to see if the RBS will connect? 

Sure I can that but the point is where I need it its not possible to get a cat5 cable to the spot.

Message 59 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Purpose would be just to check to see if it can get connected while near the RBR and check the status of the RBS while it's connected only for this short time frame. Not mean to be final solution. If it connects near the RBR wired. Then I would test the RBS wireless while near the RBR as well. Sync does need time so be patient while it completes. 

What is the distance between the RBR and RBS when the RBS is at its remote location? 

What kind of building materials are in your home. Just wondering here. 

Message 60 of 126
sgrayban
Apprentice

Backhaul seems to only work wired. I have tested this 3 times with the RBS 5 feet away from the RBR. House is all wood and where the RBS is at is 30 feet away in the garage which is also wood.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Purpose would be just to check to see if it can get connected while near the RBR and check the status of the RBS while it's connected only for this short time frame. Not mean to be final solution. If it connects near the RBR wired. Then I would test the RBS wireless while near the RBR as well. Sync does need time so be patient while it completes. 

What is the distance between the RBR and RBS when the RBS is at its remote location? 

What kind of building materials are in your home. Just wondering here. 

Message 61 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, so wired back haul is working. Now can you power OFF the RBS, disconnect the LAN cable and while the RBS is near the RBR, power ON the RBS and see if it will sync on it's own to the RBR with out a reset. If it doesn't, try pressing the sync button on both RBR first then RBS. If possible we can get the RBS to sync while near the RBR fully. Then you should be able to power OFF the RBS then place back in remote location and power ON and wait for top LED to go out. 

I would reset the RBR and RBS as a last resort to see if the RBS will sync correctly with the RBR. 

Message 62 of 126
sgrayban
Apprentice

Nope -- will not connect wirelessly. I tried that already. It will only work wired and I even generated new keys and that didn't fix it either. Something is very broken with the wireless backend connection.

I ran a temporary cat5 line to the garage. Will have to wait for spring to run a proper line.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

see if it will sync on it's own to the RBR with out a reset. If it doesn't, try pressing the sync button on both RBR first then RBS. If possible we can get the RBS to sync while near the RBR fully. Then you should be able to power OFF the RBS then place back in remote location and power ON and wait for top LED to go out. 

I would reset the RBR and RBS as a last resort to see if the RBS will sync correctly with the RBR. 

Message 63 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

And you did factory reset both RBR and RBS? 

Message 64 of 126
sgrayban
Apprentice

Yes

Message 65 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Well, you can downgrade the system back to prior working FW version. Let us know if this fixed the wireless backhaul problem on your RBS. 

Message 66 of 126
sgrayban
Apprentice

Downgraade and all is good again.... I thiink I did see that someone else was having the same problem with the backhaul with the new version.

Message 67 of 126
mhalla
Aspirant

Still need to try factory reset but my RBR50 is no longer able to obtain an IP address via DHCP from my ISP.  It will however obtain an IP address if I insert my old Belkin wifi/router between the RBR50 and the cable from my ISP's hardware.  What did Netgear do that my ISP will no longer assign it an IP address.  My ISP told me other people are having the problem as well and I need to contact Nextgear support.

Hoping the factory reset solves the problem but why should that be necessary with a firmware update?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 68 of 126
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@mhalla wrote:

Still need to try factory reset but my RBR50 is no longer able to obtain an IP address via DHCP from my ISP.  It will however obtain an IP address if I insert my old Belkin wifi/router between the RBR50 and the cable from my ISP's hardware.  What did Netgear do that my ISP will no longer assign it an IP address.  My ISP told me other people are having the problem as well and I need to contact Nextgear support.

Hoping the factory reset solves the problem but why should that be necessary with a firmware update?

Glad to see this post.  Can you set static IP address, which was assigned via ISP, for the Orbi?  I wonder if static IP would resolve the DHCP release/renew issue with Orbi Router.

Message 69 of 126
mhalla
Aspirant

Tried using static address previously leased to Belkin wifi/router but without success.  I see Orbi is recognizing that address but there is no DNS server obtained automatically so no Internet access.  Tried the static address along with the IP numbers for Googles public DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) but still no go.  Everything is fine if go back to inserting my Belkin wifi/router between my Orbi and the cable from my ISP's hardware. 

Message 70 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Have you powered OFF both ISP modem and RBR for 30 seconds then power ON The modem first and let it sync then power ON the RBR?

Mines been online since 4 days ago connected to a NG C7800 gateway modem in modem only mode. 

@mhalla wrote:

Message 71 of 126
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@mhalla wrote:

Tried using static address previously leased to Belkin wifi/router but without success.  I see Orbi is recognizing that address but there is no DNS server obtained automatically so no Internet access.  Tried the static address along with the IP numbers for Googles public DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) but still no go.  Everything is fine if go back to inserting my Belkin wifi/router between my Orbi and the cable from my ISP's hardware. 

Only the IP address assigned/associated with Orbi mac-address will work.  Otherwise, you can clone Belkin's mac-address and tell Orbi to use that mac-address instead of its own in order to use Belkin's IP address.

Message 72 of 126
mhalla
Aspirant

Nothing to report with respect to modem/mfr provided by my ISP.  I have a fiber optic connection over which my local phone company provides my landline phone service and internet access.  It is essentially a black box over which I have no control.  Just an ethernet cable coming through the outside wall connected to the telco's hardware on the outside of the house.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Have you powered OFF both ISP modem and RBR for 30 seconds then power ON The modem first and let it sync then power ON the RBR?

Mines been online since 4 days ago connected to a NG C7800 gateway modem in modem only mode. 

@mhalla wrote:

Message 73 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, Wanted to see what Modem or ONT you had. If this this is something thats not in your controll. I presume the ISP can ensure that it's running in bridged mode for you so that there isn't any router enabled in front of the RBR. 

You can check this on the RBR by logging in to the RBRs web page and go to Advanced Tab. Look at the Internet Port box. Look under IP address. Should be a ##.##.###.### kind of address if there ONT is bridged, if not, it maybe a 10. someting or maybe a 172 or very least a 192.something address. 

Can the ONT be powered off and back on by chance? Or rebooted by the ISP? 

@mhalla wrote:

Nothing to report with respect to modem/mfr provided by my ISP.  I have a fiber optic connection over which my local phone company provides my landline phone service and internet access.  It is essentially a black box over which I have no control.  Just an ethernet cable coming through the outside wall connected to the telco's hardware on the outside of the house.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@mhalla wrote:

Message 74 of 126
mhalla
Aspirant

@mhalla wrote:

Factory reset appears to have resolved the problem.  Orbi router is now obtaining an IP address and providing an Internet connection.  Wasn't sure what all a factory reset would do so was reluctant to just try it.

Message 75 of 126
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7