Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Firmware v2.5.0.38

FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear its working now. Factory resets just clear out any users configurations and networking settings setup by the RBR with ISP modems or ONTs. Sometimes these configurations can get hung up or in a bad state after a FW udpate. Thus one reason why to factory reset if user experience these odd behaviors after a FW update. 

Be sure to now do a backup configuration to file for safe keeping after you fully get your RBR setup the way you want it. Should a factory reset be needed, you can just load this back up from file and be up and running again in minutes instead of hours. 

@mhalla wrote:

@mhalla wrote:

Still need to try factory reset but my RBR50 is no longer able to obtain an IP address via DHCP from my ISP.  It will however obtain an IP address if I insert my old Belkin wifi/router between the RBR50 and the cable from my ISP's hardware.  What did Netgear do that my ISP will no longer assign it an IP address.  My ISP told me other people are having the problem as well and I need to contact Nextgear support.

Hoping the factory reset solves the problem but why should that be necessary with a firmware update?

Factory reset appears to have resolved the problem.  Orbi router is now obtaining an IP address and providing an Internet connection.  Wasn't sure what all a factory reset would do so was reluctant to just try it.

Message 76 of 126
RJSinMO
Guide

Re: gr8sho@gmail.com

No.  I didn't have a backup from before the upgrade, and didn't know if one at that point would work.  And, the problem with IPTV is uncertain if it was caused by the router, but the all the devices names all on the wrong devices defininately was.  I shouldn't have to solve this problem for Netgear, so I went back to previous version.

Message 77 of 126
RJSinMO
Guide

So you found the downloads for both routers? Sorry, wasn't on the computer all day.

Message 78 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Next time try a factory reset and setup from scratch after loading FW. 

@RJSinMO wrote:

No.  I didn't have a backup from before the upgrade, and didn't know if one at that point would work.  And, the problem with IPTV is uncertain if it was caused by the router, but the all the devices names all on the wrong devices defininately was.  I shouldn't have to solve this problem for Netgear, so I went back to previous version.

Message 79 of 126
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I'd like to see one positive post of an IPTV user stating everything is hunky dory.  

Message 80 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Same here. Would be nice to really know if a reset helped or not. IPTV seems to be problematic with Orbi. Smiley Frustrated

@gr8sho wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I'd like to see one positive post of an IPTV user stating everything is hunky dory.  

Message 81 of 126
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Others should speak for themselves, but I'm half a dozen factory resets in, tried using restore of settings and laying down a fresh coat.  I'd prefer to be wrong about it, but it appears I'm not.  

Message 82 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

And thats something you and user who are dealing with this kind of problem need to be in contact with NG support direclty and try to help them understand, provide logs and such so NG can review and hopefully get this fixed. This all needs to be turned over to NG if all troubleshooting efforts here in the forums has been exhausted. 

Make contact with forum moderators like @Blanca_O and @Christian_R 

@gr8sho wrote:

Others should speak for themselves, but I'm half a dozen factory resets in, tried using restore of settings and laying down a fresh coat.  I'd prefer to be wrong about it, but it appears I'm not.  

Message 83 of 126
gr8sho
Virtuoso

I couldn't disagree more.  I'm not getting compensated for the lost time incurred, or the grief I get from my family, nor am I the professional tester they need to be taking care of their product before releasing.  They are supposed to be experts in the networking field.  Furthermore the last time I tried to make them aware of an issue they said it was noted and then never heard back, only to have the rug completely pulled out in this last release.  
A lot has been said on this forum about the degree to which customers are being treated like guinea pigs, and this is a case in point.  

Message 84 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Well, at least you let them know. There not much else that can be done from a forum stand point. You'll have to wait for NG to do something. If not, Find your self a different solution. 

Message 85 of 126
Jetdrive
Luminary

Looking at all the threads about the latest firmware, can we expect Netgear to respond soon with a fix or will we have to live with their mess for awhile?

Message 86 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

We won't know until they post the next update. NG doesn't let anyone know when new FW updates are forth coming. 

Mines been online with out issues for past 5 days. The naming of devices is known and NG is aware of it. 

@Jetdrive wrote:

Looking at all the threads about the latest firmware, can we expect Netgear to respond soon with a fix or will we have to live with their mess for awhile?

Message 87 of 126
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Well, at least you let them know. There not much else that can be done from a forum stand point. You'll have to wait for NG to do something. If not, Find your self a different solution. 

Yes, thank you, I do understand the point.  I often give the same response myself to others.  Forums are never used for official problem reporting, and unless purchasing extended support, there is no method of formal problem reporting.  

As a footnote,  Orbi is the different solution I chose to resolve a problem with another manfucturer's router.  I suppose an additional jump is always an option.  

Message 88 of 126
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

We won't know until they post the next update. NG doesn't let anyone know when new FW updates are forth coming. 

Mines been online with out issues for past 5 days. The naming of devices is known and NG is aware of it. 

@Jetdrive wrote:

My Orbi will stay up indefinitely barring an extended eletric service outage as my equipment is on UPS.  Aside from the cosmeting naming thing and IPTV issue, my network is stable as well.  Quality should take time.

Message 89 of 126
Schmak01
Apprentice

A far warning, if you use the Access control DO NOT UPDATE as this completely messes up the device names configured.   Nothing matches anymore. The names are all out of wack, got these new DEV-0x: MC:AD devices that were named. MACa addresses are right, names and IP's are wrong.  So unless you want to look at all your MAC's before you disable then don't update. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 90 of 126
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I would also add....IF your system is working fine (no issues) don't perform a manual upgrade.  Feel free to do a search on any updates and read the release notes.  In cases like these, new is NOT always better.

Message 91 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch. This should resolve issues seen with access controls. 

@Schmak01 wrote:

A far warning, if you use the Access control DO NOT UPDATE as this completely messes up the device names configured.   Nothing matches anymore. The names are all out of wack, got these new DEV-0x: MC:AD devices that were named. MACa addresses are right, names and IP's are wrong.  So unless you want to look at all your MAC's before you disable then don't update. 

Message 92 of 126
Retired_Member
Not applicable

A factory reset is necessary when you cannot recover your password....Still looking for FW issues...???

Message 93 of 126
Schmak01
Apprentice

It did not.  It reset everything sure, but when I go to rename my incorrectly named Echo Dots (which are all listed as fire TV...) it shows it saved and when it goes back to the screen, nope, still listed as FireTV.

Message 94 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

The naming of devices is a known problem and NG is aware of it. 

Hopefully will be fixed on next update. Users will need to be patient please. 

@Schmak01 wrote:

It did not.  It reset everything sure, but when I go to rename my incorrectly named Echo Dots (which are all listed as fire TV...) it shows it saved and when it goes back to the screen, nope, still listed as FireTV.

Message 95 of 126
Schmak01
Apprentice

Just an FYI I downgraded manually to 2.5.0.30 and it worked flawlessly, the attached devices is working agian, so far no issues and it runs a bit faster. 

Message 96 of 126
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Schmak01 wrote:

Just an FYI I downgraded manually to 2.5.0.30 and it worked flawlessly, the attached devices is working agian, so far no issues and it runs a bit faster. 

Nice...all of that and no factory reset.

Tip:  STOP performing manual firmware updates.

Message 97 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Would have been nice to know if you had tried the factory reset with v38 loaded. I've seen no issues with v38 loaded on my RBK50 less the device naming issue. Factor reset after FW is loaded and setup from scratch.

Speeds are to spec well past 5 days. 

Glad you got it working. 

Enjoy. 

@Schmak01 wrote:

Message 98 of 126
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

. I've seen no issues with v38 loaded on my RBK50 less the device naming issue. Speeds are to spec well past 5 days. 

was that BEFORE or AFTER the factory reset?

Message 99 of 126
BIG9MM
Apprentice

Please don’t take this the wrong way Netgear but unfortunately I rate this Firmware Version V2.5.0.38 close to garbage. If you notice everybody converting back, there’s a big issue with the Firmware as its too buggy. My mobile app keeps not registering the extra satellites therefore making me have to log in to the computer to see the satellites, very unreliable. I’ve had the system close to day one so hopefully you guys are working hard on a new fix to move forward with the next update. I greatly appreciate your guises hard work and hope somebody will address this Firmware  as soon as possible so people don’t have to have the frustration of rolling back the Firmware.

Message 100 of 126
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7