Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Gigabit internet

mikeinolean
Aspirant

New Gigabit internet

Hey everyone. I just had spectrum gigabit internet installed today. The brought a new modem and a separate router. When the tech was there he had me test the internet speed and I was getting close to 900mbps down with their router. After he left, I disconnected their router and connected it to my Orbi’s. I have the AC3000 RBK50 with 2 satellites. I cannot get more than 550mbps. I know that’s fast, but after seeing 900 it’s disappointing. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Message 1 of 13
ekhalil
Master

Re: New Gigabit internet

How did you do the measurement, with a wired or wireless device in the Orbi network?

Message 2 of 13
mikeinolean
Aspirant

I did both measurements with the same device (iPhone XS). I used my Ookla Speedtest App both times.
Message 3 of 13
randomousity
Luminary

I think, generally, the Orbi is good at getting good speeds to multiple devices over a large area, even via the satellite. I think it is less good at getting maximum speed to a single device. But, accoring to this review at Tom's, ~550 Mbps is the peak performance for a single device (though you might find that you can approach that with two devices, simultaneously, using the Orbi). When you did the speedtest on the ISP-provided router, were you using wifi, or was this over a wired ethernet connection? Also, are you testing on the same device (e.g., laptop, phone) for both tests? Depending on the age and size of the device(s), there may be more or fewer antennas, and different standards (your laptop could be 803.11ac, whereas your phone might only be 803.11n), either or both of which could affect speedtest results.

You might also find reading on wifi, generally, and 802.11ac helpful.

Message 4 of 13
mikeinolean
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I did both tests on wifi with the same device (iPhone XS)
Message 5 of 13
st_shaw
Master

If you measured 500 Mbps with Orbi over WiFi, then everything is working up to specs and there's nothing more for you to do.

Orbi is a 2x2 WiFi device with a maximum link rate of 866 Mbps.  Throughput is typically 50% to 65% of the link rate, due to the overhead inherent in the WiFi protocol, so 500 Mbps is typical for a link rate of 866 Mbps.

Orbi is intended to provide good speeds over a large area, not to provide maximum speed for a single device right next the to AP.

If you think you need more than 500 Mbps throughput over WiFi then you need to buy another WiFi solution.

Message 6 of 13
warrior101
Aspirant

Thanks for a detailed reply. Is there anyway to know the current/realtime link rate between router and satellites?

Message 7 of 13
ekhalil
Master

@warrior101 wrote:

Thanks for a detailed reply. Is there anyway to know the current/realtime link rate between router and satellites?

The wireless backhaul link throughput is 1.7Gbps in the AC3000 Orbi's (RBR50/RBS50 which has 4x4 backhaul antennas), and is 867Mbps in AC2200 Orbi's (RBR20/RBR40/RBS20/RBS40/RBW30 which has 2x2 backhaul antennas)

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Please speed test with a PC thats wired to the back of the Orbi router. Use a LAN cable and a web browser on the pc and check speeds.

Most wifi devices will not achieve 900Mb as they are limited on wifi design and technology. Connection rates are just that, rates between the router and the device. Throughput speed differs and for some wifi devices can't achieve anything near 900Mb on throughput speeds. 

If you want to know realtime link rates between your wireless device and the Orib, download wifisweetspots. Its free. 

I have 1Gb service as well and my wifi devices only see around 400-500Mb max depending on design support. 

@mikeinolean wrote:
Hey everyone. I just had spectrum gigabit internet installed today. The brought a new modem and a separate router. When the tech was there he had me test the internet speed and I was getting close to 900mbps down with their router. After he left, I disconnected their router and connected it to my Orbi’s. I have the AC3000 RBK50 with 2 satellites. I cannot get more than 550mbps. I know that’s fast, but after seeing 900 it’s disappointing. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Message 9 of 13
SeaMonkey80
Apprentice

@mikeinolean wrote:

I have Xfinity Gigabit and I get 900+ Mb/s download speed on the wired connection through the Orbi.  Wireless is about right at 550-600Mb/s.  The iPhone is not capable of achieving gigabit speed wirelessly, so you are getting the full potential of your connection on your devices.  You can double check your speed by connecting a laptop or desktop to your Orbi router to see that you are actually getting the 900+ speeds.  If you connect to the satellites, and your satellites are connected to the main Orbi via the wireless backhaul, then you will get a reduced speed.  Overall, 550+ is more than enough for most all needs.

Message 10 of 13
st_shaw
Master

@warrior101 wrote:

Not that I know of.  Perhaps there is via telnet and the command line, but there's no documentation.  It's not realtime but probably the best way to assess the backhaul connection is to run an iperf3 test between wired devices, one on the sat and one on the Orbi router.  The most I've measured is about 575 Mbps, but that's with a couple walls between. 

Several folks are giving incorrect info on this thread.  The iPhone XS is one of the latest models.  I believe it's a 4x4 WiFi device and the OP said he measured 900 Mbps throughput on the iPhone XS.

Message 11 of 13
schumaku
Guru

@st_shaw wrote:
The iPhone XS is one of the latest models.  I believe it's a 4x4 WiFi device and the OP said he measured 900 Mbps throughput on the iPhone XS.

Nope ... 4x4 only on the LTE side, 2x2 for 802.11ac -> https://www.apple.com/lae/iphone-xs/specs/

All models
  • Gigabit-class LTE with 4x4 MIMO and LAA
  • 802.11ac Wi‑Fi with 2x2 MIMO
Message 12 of 13
st_shaw
Master

@schumaku wrote:

@st_shaw wrote:
The iPhone XS is one of the latest models.  I believe it's a 4x4 WiFi device and the OP said he measured 900 Mbps throughput on the iPhone XS.

Nope ... 4x4 only on the LTE side, 2x2 for 802.11ac -> https://www.apple.com/lae/iphone-xs/specs/

All models
  • Gigabit-class LTE with 4x4 MIMO and LAA
  • 802.11ac Wi‑Fi with 2x2 MIMO

Thanks.  If the XS is only 2x2 on WiFi, then only one of two things are possible:

1. The iPhone XS supports 160 Mhz channel widths (1733 Mbps link rate). OR

2. The OP did not actually measure 900 Mbps over WiFI with his phone.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7