Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New ISP Spectrum, orbi offline, websites get login

DavidGross
Aspirant

New ISP Spectrum, orbi offline, websites get login

I have been using Grande and when i added Orbi it was a simple connect via cable and that was it.  Just switched to Spectrum and and orbi app says "Offline".  All devices are able to connect and work fine.  However when you are on pc or phone and connnected to orbi by way of wifi or direct connect to orbi and go to some sites you get "Your connection to this site is not private".  An example:  Google.com ok, Schwab.com or yahoo.com not and after message about private you are a username, password login screen.  

I can move the pc hardware directly to modem so It works fine.  Going to orbi it doesn't.  

That is my work around and if I need access on phone I have to disconnect from wifi.  Again, a work around.  I am suprised however the ipad works fine.  no problem with the sites that fail on pc and on android s10e.  

I had ISP on the phone and we looked at: 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-connection-status-is-offline/td-p/1551748

Where there was talk about fully bridge the isp, if it can't input IP address ...

Something seems wrong on Orbi side with some routers.  

Please advise.  

Model: RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
DavidGross
Aspirant

Re: New ISP Spectrum, orbi offline, websites get login

Note to all:  I had a similar problem to what others have reported.  Got a new ISP / new modem.  Orbi app on phone showed "internet: offline".  I had security / lights etc connected to orbi and they were fine.  I was able to go to Google.com but when I went to Yahoo.com or schwab.com or other secured sites  would get a message “your connection to this site is not private”.  I received tips of changes to do to ISP router which I was told by Spectrum could not be made to my router.  After trying lots of things...  I reset the Orbi router.  It took 3 times before it let go of the SSID I had used.  Finally all worked.  A few days later the satelites stopped working.  I did the manufacture reset on them to and now all is well.  

View solution in original post

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 5 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here by chance?

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 6
DavidGross
Aspirant

I found an fcc number for the spectrum router.  Separate from modem.  

https://fccid.io/H8NRAC2V1K

Orbi version v2.4.10.859

I read all that from prior artical to the spectrum guy and he didn't seem familiar enough to help.  He verified when i took orbi out of pic I was able to get to everything on pc.  

Of course that leaves Internet: Offline on my orbi app. 

I am also trying to connect to Harmony remote so I can put in new dvr.  I am thinking this problem is contributing to that.  Every now and then I get it to recognize the hub, than it goes away and can't find it. 

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you contact your ISP and have them help you with your modem router and see if they can either bridge the modem or if they can't, configure the Orbi RBR for AP mode. Ensure they disable the modems wifi radios. 

I would power cycle the modem and RBR after you get the RBR set for AP modem. 

Message 4 of 6
DavidGross
Aspirant

Note to all:  I had a similar problem to what others have reported.  Got a new ISP / new modem.  Orbi app on phone showed "internet: offline".  I had security / lights etc connected to orbi and they were fine.  I was able to go to Google.com but when I went to Yahoo.com or schwab.com or other secured sites  would get a message “your connection to this site is not private”.  I received tips of changes to do to ISP router which I was told by Spectrum could not be made to my router.  After trying lots of things...  I reset the Orbi router.  It took 3 times before it let go of the SSID I had used.  Finally all worked.  A few days later the satelites stopped working.  I did the manufacture reset on them to and now all is well.  

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. As something to keep in mind, when you reset the man router, it's always good to reset the RBS as well. 

Also be sure to make a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. This will save time should a reset been needed in the future.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@DavidGross wrote:

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7