Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - NetGear Orbi 20/40 Series Firmware Version 2.3.0.28

FURRYe38
Guru

New - NetGear Orbi 20/40 Series Firmware Version 2.3.0.28

This new version of FW is ONLY for the 20 and 40 series Orbi systems. RBR20, RBS20, RBK20, RBK22, RBK23, RBR40, RBS40,RBK40, RBK43, RBK44

New Features and Enhancements:

• Adds customer firmware pull.   
  • Expands the IP reservation function from 64 clients to 253 devices.
  • Adds weak admin password checking

Bug Fixes:

•  Includes bug fixes for stability when using Ethernet backhaul in large deployments:
    • Wireless backhaul might not change to Ethernet backhaul when an Ethernet cable is connected.
    • Reduces the time to stabilize topology with Ethernet backhaul
    • Reduces the Ethernet backhaul loop that might cause kernel panic
  • Includes bug fixes for stability and performance:
    •    Fixes the LAN/WAN bidirectional throughput on the DHCP mode drop issue.
    •    Fixes the downstream drop issue when port forwarding is enabled.
    •    Fixes the issue where some online games periodicity lag.
    •    Fixes the issue where the PPPOE connection unstable
  • Fixes the issue where the client’s connection type does not display correctly on the Attached Devices page:
    • Wireless client connection will show as wired
    • Client occasionally shows as connected to the wrong satellite
  • Fixes multiple IPV6 issues
  • Fixes an issue related to the SSID containing special characters
  • Fixes the issue where the user sometimes can't register their Orbi Voice  
  • Fixes the email address issue on the Security Email page
  • Updates the DDNS No-IP privacy policy
  • Fixes the following security issues:
    • Roll-out NETGEAR Q4 PSV items
    • [MR2.2][Guest Isolation] The guest client can access the GUI via an IPv6 address

Get it here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/orbi.aspx

Find your model Orbi and select it. Then select the BLUE Download button. 

Follow the FW installation instructions at the bottom of the Relase Notes.

Let us know how it works for you...

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System, RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System, RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System, RBK44| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 38
Chuck_M
Mentor

I dont see any mention of Armor in there...  Was the 20/40 already integrated or was that left out?

Message 2 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

May have not been included. Check the Armour support information, if it doesn't list any of the 20/40 series, it may not be supporting of those models. 

Message 3 of 38
djf5502
Initiate

Updated to this firmware without issue on my RBR40 and 3 RBS20s. It's been working well for about 24 hours now. I did notice duplicate ip addresses on the network immediately
after the upgrade, but a full reboot of the router and satellites fixed it. The problem hasn't returned.
Model: RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 4 of 38
raven_au
Virtuoso

I updated to this firmware on my RBS40 when I updated my RBK50 to v2.3.0.32, several days ago now.

As I have said elsewhere I'm not yet sure if a factory default reset and reconfigure will be needed due to some odd behaviours.

Overall the RBR50, RBS50 and RBS40 are working adequately without the re-configure.

Message 5 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Hoping a reset isn't needed. Just if odd or problems seem to appear, give a reset a try. Remember, save off the routers config to file before resetting. Can help save time. 

@raven_au wrote:

I updated to this firmware on my RBS40 when I updated my RBK50 to v2.3.0.32, several days ago now.

As I have said elsewhere I'm not yet sure if a factory default reset and reconfigure will be needed due to some odd behaviours.

Overall the RBR50, RBS50 and RBS40 are working adequately without the re-configure.

Message 6 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. A reboot is recommended after a upgrade.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@djf5502 wrote:
Updated to this firmware without issue on my RBR40 and 3 RBS20s. It's been working well for about 24 hours now. I did notice duplicate ip addresses on the network immediately
after the upgrade, but a full reboot of the router and satellites fixed it. The problem hasn't returned.

Message 7 of 38
raven_au
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Good to hear. Hoping a reset isn't needed. Just if odd or problems seem to appear, give a reset a try. Remember, save off the routers config to file before resetting. Can help save time. 

@raven_au wrote:

About using a saved config.

I have always thought that using a saved config. might be problematic because the saved config might include some of the very settings that have changed which perhaps weren't updated by the new firmware, obsolete settings might not be a problem.

I guess, if one has a complicated configuration, the save and restore method would be worth a try but for fairly simple setups I'd want to be sure I wiped everything and was starting afresh.

Message 8 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

I agree with you. Feel the same way about config files. For the most part I think they do work. Espeically with in the same FW version. Going across to different versions, i've always been wary of migrating and rather start fresh with a new config file for each FW version. I suppose one can load up a config file on a new FW version and see if things continue to work well. If not, then reset and start from scratch and save off a new config file. 

@raven_au wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@raven_au wrote:

About using a saved config.

I have always thought that using a saved config. might be problematic because the saved config might include some of the very settings that have changed which perhaps weren't updated by the new firmware, obsolete settings might not be a problem.

I guess, if one has a complicated configuration, the save and restore method would be worth a try but for fairly simple setups I'd want to be sure I wiped everything and was starting afresh.

Message 9 of 38
RedBatman89
Guide

Hi so I had upgraded my rbk23 to the current firmware a few days ago manually and things seem to be pretty good so far. However I do beleive that daisy chain topology is still a little bugged. When I decided to disable it, upon reboot one of the sattelites decided to connect to other one isntead of connecting to the router. So I had decided to power cycle both the modem and router, while this time both sattlites connected to the router but it took longer. I think its because the firmware still beleives topology is enabled when its still diabled.  

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 10 of 38
RedBatman89
Guide

One more thing I'm notcing since the last update is that I'm getting a lot of DOS attack logs now. Here are some of the IP address that are attacking me 

These are just a few from today, now I checked on https://www.iplocation.net/ to find out where they where and they are coming from all over across the globe. With one being from Seoul Korea, now thankfully its not happening every minute but none the less its a little nerver racking, should I be concerned? 

Message 11 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

If you updated FW, I would factory reset both RBS and RBR and setup from scratch and see if you notice any changes. 

Be sure to enable Beamforming and MIMO.

@RedBatman89 wrote:

One more thing I'm notcing since the last update is that I'm getting a lot of DOS attack logs now. Here are some of the IP address that are attacking me 

These are just a few from today, now I checked on https://www.iplocation.net/ to find out where they where and they are coming from all over across the globe. With one being from Seoul Korea, now thankfully its not happening every minute but none the less its a little nerver racking, should I be concerned? 

Message 12 of 38
RedBatman89
Guide

Well my modem is an Arris SB6190 and my ISP is Comcast. Like I said they are not happening every minute just every couple of hours I will get these then it goes awhile for awhile. 

Message 13 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

Might contact your ISP and have them change your IP address on the modem.

FYI about your 6190:

http://www.badmodems.com

@RedBatman89 wrote:

Well my modem is an Arris SB6190 and my ISP is Comcast. Like I said they are not happening every minute just every couple of hours I will get these then it goes awhile for awhile. 

Message 14 of 38
RedBatman89
Guide

Oh I didn't rent it from them. I bought it two years ago.
Message 15 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats fine, however please reivew the information about that model modem. 

@RedBatman89 wrote:
Oh I didn't rent it from them. I bought it two years ago.

Message 16 of 38
tinah
Aspirant

I do have the rbr20, that is what is so confusing. I received the message telling me my system needed the update. I followed all of the instructions but something went wrong. The file downloaded but wont unzip. It says file is corrupted when I try to unzip it. Plus my Orbi app says it is up to date, even though the firmware version isn’t the new version. 

I attempted to download the update again, but it just takes me back to the previous one I downloaded that is corrupted. That is where I got stuck, I can’t move forward and don’t know why it happened. I do want to make sure I have the latest updates , especially for security issues. 

Message 17 of 38
tinah
Aspirant

I forgot to add that I can’t delete the corrupted download. I don’t see any way to do that. I’ve never had an issue deleting an  unwanted file until this one. 

Message 18 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Please try to download the FW files using a different browser, IE11, FF or Opera. Use a wired PC connected to the RBR. If you can get the .zip files downloaded and unpacked. Update the RBS first if you have them, then update the RBR last. You need to send the v212 first, then v32 last to the RBR. 

@tinah wrote:

I do have the rbr20, that is what is so confusing. I received the message telling me my system needed the update. I followed all of the instructions but something went wrong. The file downloaded but wont unzip. It says file is corrupted when I try to unzip it. Plus my Orbi app says it is up to date, even though the firmware version isn’t the new version. 

I attempted to download the update again, but it just takes me back to the previous one I downloaded that is corrupted. That is where I got stuck, I can’t move forward and don’t know why it happened. I do want to make sure I have the latest updates , especially for security issues. 

Message 19 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

Were you able to get this downloaded correctly? 

@tinah wrote:

I forgot to add that I can’t delete the corrupted download. I don’t see any way to do that. I’ve never had an issue deleting an  unwanted file until this one. 

Message 20 of 38
tinah
Aspirant

re my orbi rbr20.
my orbi is connected to the Arris media gateway provided by my cable/internet provider. i attached a photo that indicates how it is connected. i’m not sure if it is a wired connection or wireless. it is a bit confusing to me since the white internet cable is going to the gateway. The black ethernet cable is going to my garage door opener gateway.
i am going to attempt to download the file now using a browser other than firefox that i used last time.
Message 21 of 38
tinah
Aspirant

i just downloaded it again after deleting the other download. same thing happens. i select to unzip all, i don’t see that anything is happening after i accept the location for the file. if i try to open the downloaded file i still get a message that the “disc image file is corrupted” this happens every time. i don’t know if i’m doing the right steps after the download by asking it to unzip. there are no instructions telling me what is supposed to happen and how to manage an update/ downloads. i go to my PCdownloads and see the 2 zipped files, document and disc image file.
same corrupt file downloads every time
Message 22 of 38

@tinah wrote:
if i try to open the downloaded file i still get a message that the “disc image file is corrupted” this happens every time.

You are not supposed to "open" the file.  The idea is that you go through the manual firmware update process and "upload" the file to the hardware.

There is support for the Orbi WiFi System, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> Orbi RBK50 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support <<<<

See the section Manually Update Firmware.

Message 23 of 38

It would appear from that picture that you own a modem/gateway that is also a router.

Does it have a make and model number?

You may have to change some settings on the router or the Orbi to get them to play nicely together.

Message 24 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using?

Please try to download the FW files using IE11 or FireFox or Opera. 

Besure that any browser security add-ons are disabled. 

You only need to UNZIP the files once downloaded. Do nothing else to them after they are unzipped. 

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

@tinah wrote:
i just downloaded it again after deleting the other download. same thing happens. i select to unzip all, i don’t see that anything is happening after i accept the location for the file. if i try to open the downloaded file i still get a message that the “disc image file is corrupted” this happens every time. i don’t know if i’m doing the right steps after the download by asking it to unzip. there are no instructions telling me what is supposed to happen and how to manage an update/ downloads. i go to my PCdownloads and see the 2 zipped files, document and disc image file.
same corrupt file downloads every time

Message 25 of 38
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 37 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7