Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - NetGear Orbi 20/40 Series Firmware Version 2.3.0.28

tinah
Aspirant

Everything works fine with my cable modem and router now except I cannot get the firmware update to work right. I have downloaded it many times  using a different browser each time with the same result. It goes through the download process ok but when I select "unzip all", it asks where to save it, I accept the destination that comes up, then it just takes me back to the same page where I chose to unzip it. The same two files are there, the notes and I suppose the other is the upgrade. I don't know what I'm supposed to do from there. There are no instructions, nothing comes up telling me what to do after I select the unzip all. Someone suggested to read the manual for my devoice, I did that several times before getting on this help forum, it does not give instructions other than download the file and unzip it-nothing else. That is why I an stuck. If I double click on the upgrade file, it says it is a corrupted file.

If I just knew what I am supposed to do after I unzip it, I could possible move on from here. I would think something would open up telling me what the next step is or instructing me to do something with the unzipped file/upgrade.

Message 26 of 38
tinah
Aspirant

I have downloaded using several different browsers. After I select "unzip all", a page opens asking me to select the destination for the files, I accept the choice already there, then it just takes me back to the page where I chose to unzip the files. NOthing else come up telling me to doa nything furthere, nmothing looks different than when this page first opens when I download the upgrade. If I'm suppoised to do something from there, I don't have instructions telling me that. I wouldn't know what steps to take next. Nothing in the user manual for my device gives me further instructions. It just says download and unzip. What next? How would I know if it actually unzipped? When I right click on the file, it says it is corripted, no matter which browser I use to download it. Last used was IE11. I think that was the fourth one used.

I apologize for niot getting this, I just don't understand what steps to take after I select unzip and acept the destination for the files.

Message 27 of 38

@tinah wrote:

If I'm suppoised to do something from there, I don't have instructions telling me that. I wouldn't know what steps to take next. Nothing in the user manual for my device gives me further instructions. It just says download and unzip. What next?

Try reading this message, and those around it.

Solved: Re: RBW30 - Firmware 2.3.0.4 - NETGEAR Communities

Also read this:

How do I manually update the firmware on my Orbi WiFi System? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 28 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

On you have the files downloaded, as @michaelkenward mentioned and provided a link on how to manually update FW, unzip the downloaded files first. You can put them any where. Windows has a built in unzip program so if you right click on any of the .zip files you can select "Extract ALL" Follow the instructions there. Once the files are unzipped. Then log in to the routers web page and use the MANUAL FW update section and navigate to the location where the unzip files are at. 

@tinah wrote:

I have downloaded using several different browsers. After I select "unzip all", a page opens asking me to select the destination for the files, I accept the choice already there, then it just takes me back to the page where I chose to unzip the files. NOthing else come up telling me to doa nything furthere, nmothing looks different than when this page first opens when I download the upgrade. If I'm suppoised to do something from there, I don't have instructions telling me that. I wouldn't know what steps to take next. Nothing in the user manual for my device gives me further instructions. It just says download and unzip. What next? How would I know if it actually unzipped? When I right click on the file, it says it is corripted, no matter which browser I use to download it. Last used was IE11. I think that was the fourth one used.

I apologize for niot getting this, I just don't understand what steps to take after I select unzip and acept the destination for the files.

Message 29 of 38
fatnasa
Tutor

Hello,

every thing was working just fine with v2.2.1.210 however one i have updated to 2.3.0.28 everything went mad as below :

- all Satellites are going up and down "no more stable connection"

- Backhaul Status is updated ever 5 to 10 secounds (config sync ==== > status ==== > config sync ==== > status ...etc)

- android app doesn't show my Satellites connected (sometimes 1 or 2 or 3 but it's not stable with every refresh) which wasn't the case beofre FW upgrade

once i have downgraded again to v2.2.1.21 , everything is working back again as expected.

note : i have been testing this for 2 weeks

Model: RBK44| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 30 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the distance between the RBR and RBS's? 

Was a facory reset performed on both RBR and RBSs? 

Others haven't seen this issue:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-NetGear-Orbi-20-40-Series-Firmware-Version-2-3-0-28/m-p/17...

Message 31 of 38
fatnasa
Tutor

the distance is arround 13.1234 feet (4 meters)

and yes facory reset performed on both RBR and RBSs

Message 32 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

13 feet is too close between the router and satellites. 30 feet minimum to start. The RBR can cover around and up to beyond 30 feet alone depending upon building materials. 

@fatnasa wrote:

the distance is arround 13.1234 feet (4 meters)

and yes facory reset performed on both RBR and RBSs

Message 33 of 38
fatnasa
Tutor

i can increase the distance , yet i need to understand why it works with FW "V2.2.1.210" but not with latest one  , if this is the real cuase Smiley Very Happy

Message 34 of 38
DickDuke
Apprentice

No problems to report, but I thought that people reading through the community posts might find it helpful to know that the Firmare Update to 2.3.0.28 can be done without issues. My current setup consists of an RBR40, 2 x RBS20, 1 x RBW30. I used the manual update process after first downloading and expanding the firmware appropriate to each device. First updated the RBW30, than the 2 RBS20s, and finally the RBR40. All satellites were able to synch again.
Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 35 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it working well. Thanks for letting us know. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@DickDuke wrote:
No problems to report, but I thought that people reading through the community posts might find it helpful to know that the Firmare Update to 2.3.0.28 can be done without issues. My current setup consists of an RBR40, 2 x RBS20, 1 x RBW30. I used the manual update process after first downloading and expanding the firmware appropriate to each device. First updated the RBW30, than the 2 RBS20s, and finally the RBR40. All satellites were able to synch again.

Message 36 of 38
DickDuke
Apprentice

Modem is a Rogers branded Hitron.

Satellites are between 20 and 35 feet.

The RBW30 is kinda my “bonus” satellite. I could get by without it, but it gives me a slightly better connection in the bedroom. 

Its a a bit overkill for the size of my condo, but the condo is two floors, with rebar concrete floor, and steel studs in the walls. 

In retrospect the RBK50 would have made more sense, but I’m not ready to spend that much money all over again, for no performance gain.

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 37 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Hopefully will work well. Keep the distances at 30 feet. The RBR can cover a good range. 

Message 38 of 38
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 37 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7