Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - NetGear Orbi Firmware Version 2.3.0.32 now available...

So far so good.
Ring, Nest, Hue, Wemo...etc, all working Man Happy

Message 126 of 386
frewster
Guide

Everything is still working great. I manually updated a few days ago without having to reset anything. This is the best the Orbis have ever worked for us.

Message 127 of 386
Chuck_M
Mentor

There has been a lot of chat about resetting before updating;  I didnt do any of that before I did the manual firmware upgrades and it works just fine.

Message 128 of 386
Damit1
Apprentice

Did reset my Orbi while doing these tests.
Sadly my speeds issue just will not resolve.
If in previous FW had a peaks to 900M.
Now not more than 530-560.
It is what it is.
Did a reset to both units to prevent every possible issue.
Message 129 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Rbk50-speed-issues/m-p/1714604/highlight/true#M54147

@Damit1 wrote:
Did reset my Orbi while doing these tests.
Sadly my speeds issue just will not resolve.
If in previous FW had a peaks to 900M.
Now not more than 530-560.
It is what it is.
Did a reset to both units to prevent every possible issue.

Message 130 of 386
raven_au
Virtuoso

Just an fyi.

The Netgear web site still lists the v2.2.1.210 firmware as latest for the RBK50.

That really should be offering the same firmware as the RBK53, RBR50, RBS40, etc.

Message 131 of 386
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

Not necessarily true. Depending on how you dig down the newer versions are also listed. If you go straight to downloads, the old version is listed as most current.

If you go to the RBR50 or RBK53 or other 59 series devices then check downloads, the newer versions of the firmware are listed and available for download.
Message 132 of 386
raven_au
Virtuoso

@TC_in_Montana wrote:
Not necessarily true. Depending on how you dig down the newer versions are also listed. If you go straight to downloads, the old version is listed as most current.

If you go to the RBR50 or RBK53 or other 59 series devices then check downloads, the newer versions of the firmware are listed and available for download.

Yes, I see your correct, it tricked me!

Message 133 of 386
randy915
Initiate

Manually updated RBS50 to 2.2.1.212 and everytime it came up it would crash the RBR50 to the point where I had to turn off the satellite, update the router to 2.2.1.212, and then do a factory reset on the satellite so that the pair can talk.  

Once I got through that the satellite update to 2.3.0.32 followed by the main router went flawlessly.

Fingers crossed but I have a strong feeling we have finally made it past the point where we will have to do factory resets for future firmware updates.  Having own this system for over a year now it's nice to see the firmware finally beginning to mature.  Good work NG team.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 134 of 386
gHiDoRa
Aspirant

where I can get the V2.2.1.212? Thanks.
Message 135 of 386
randy915
Initiate

Message 136 of 386
CrimpOn
Guru

@gHiDoRa wrote:
where I can get the V2.2.1.212? Thanks.

The Netgear Download Center: https://www.netgear.com/support/download/

Key in the model number "RBK53" and it will bring up links to both the intirim 2.2.1.212 and to the final 2.3.0.32.

Through 2.2.1.210, there was a limit on the size of the firmware file that could be downloaded, and 2.3.0.32 exceeded the limit.

You must download and install 2.2.1.212 first, and then immediately install 2.3.0.32   Netgear states in the release notes that "212" is intended only to reset the image size limit and is not to be run permanently.

Message 137 of 386
BrendonSF
Guide

@randy915 Note that the .212 firmware ONLY needs to be applied to the router. The satellite can be upgraded straight to .32.

Message 138 of 386
Damit1
Apprentice

Does all the latest updaters notice speeds issues? 

Do you work as AP mode or Router?

Message 139 of 386
orbilov
Apprentice

New - NetGear Orbi Firmware Version 2.3.0.32 now available...

dupe delete

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 140 of 386
orbilov
Apprentice

New - NetGear Orbi Firmware Version 2.3.0.32 now available...

RBK53 Firmware: Currently on 2.3.0.32 (AP MODE to Verizon Quantum)  Received with 2.1.4.16  and set up February 26th 2019. 

Clients/Environment:  House 2400 feet, 2 floors, wood, plaster, some stone:

MAC OS MOJAVE 10.14.3  x2, Nest thermostat, Nest Protectx3, Roomba, Ring2, Meross garage, Ipadsx5, Iphonesx4, Chromebooksx2, Canon ip8700, AppleTV4K, Samsung TV (wired).  Firestick, Xbox One, ObiTalk, Old airport extreme to bridge Canon 3100 USB Printer, Synology DS216+II (wired), Apple Series 1 watchesx4, Amazon Echo.    Probably more but that all I can remember.

Prior Hardware: This replaced my Airport Extreme tower (most current) AWS to last gen Airport Extreme Square and Verizon Quantum router (used as second wifi network):

Experience:

-My RBK53 shipped with  2.1.4.16 gave me no issues for a couple of days and auto-updated itself to 2.2.1.210 (had been holding out for a but for shake out on 2.3.0.32).

-2.2.1.210 gave me no trouble either but I only used it for 48 hours.

Upgraded to 2.3.0.32 process was reasonably smooth.  If you go to Support for your model, e.g., RBK50/53 , etc.,  you will see both the helper/transitional update 212 and 2.3.0.32.   You will need both satellite version and router for both updates (212 is a prerequisite).   ** You must do Satellites first one at a time.

I do fault the UI a bit for the updates a bit and seen some complaints made.  The Router and Satelite update sections while separated contain different named buttons  Upload (Router) Update (Satellite) button making some think potentially you have to Upload to Satellite before Updating it.    Think it would be better if both buttons said UPDATE.  

On one of my Satellite did not bring back the success message on one of the two firmware updates.   Also, I noticed this success without confirmation.   I had to turn wifi off on my MacBook pro a couple of times across 2 firmware updates across the 3 devices and or log back into the router.  I did not need to do any resets or erases.   All my settings stuck.   2.3.0.32 somewhat blindly requests you update your password (set 2 security questions) which I put back to the same thing (it already met recommended criteria).

As far as the OBK53 themselves there great, love 4 Ethernet connections for wired connects.  Speedwise through two walls speed is up to 2-3 times my previous AC routers.    That said penetration through 3 walls was no better.   That is to say, I had to arrange the 2 of 3 Orbi in the same layout/places to achieve good coverage in my master bedroom and bathroom.

Very Happy overall.  I do wish Orbi would keep their Readishare software update/compatible for mac for use of the USB port.  It was a factor in choosing but I knew it was broken software wise and  I had my two airports that could keep doing that job and am using 1 for now.

Message 141 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for the feedback and experineces. Sounds like your system is working well. 

30 feet is recommended in between the base and satellite(s) to begin with depending upon building materials.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@orbilov wrote:

RBK53 Firmware: Currently on 2.3.0.32 (AP MODE to Verizon Quantam)  Received with 2.1.4.16  and set up February 26th2019. 

Clients/Environment:  House 2400 feet, 2 floors, wood, plaster, some stone:

MAC OS MOJAVE 10.14.3  x2, Nest thermostat, Nest Protectx3, Roomba, Ring2, Meross garage, Ipadsx5, Iphonesx4, Chromebooksx2, Canon ip8700, AppleTV4K, Samsung TV (wired).  Firestick, Xbox One, ObiTalk, Old airport extreme to bridge Canon 3100 USB Printer, Synology DS216+II(wired), Apple Series 1 watchesx4, Amazon Echo.    Probably more but that all I can remember.

Prior Hardware: This replaced my Airport Extreme tower (most current) AWS to last gen Airport Extreme Square and Verizon Quantum router (used as second wifi network):

Experience:

-My RBK53 shipped with  2.1.4.16 gave me no issues for a couple of days and auto-updated itself to 2.2.1.210 (had been holding out for a but for shake out on 2.3.0.32).

-2.2.1.210 gave me no trouble either but I only used it for 48 hours.

Upgraded to 2.3.0.32 process was reasonably smooth.  If you to Support for your model, e.g., RBK50/53 , etc.,  you will see both the helper/transitional update 212 and 2.3.0.32.   You will need both satellite version and router for both updates (212 is a prerequisite).   ** You must do Satellites first one at a time.

I do fault the UI a bit for the updates a bit and seen some complaints made.  The Router and Satelite update sections while separated contain different named buttons  Upload (Router) Satellite (Update) button making some think potentially you have to Upload Satellite before Updating it.    Think it would be better if both buttons said UPDATE.  

On one of my Satellite did not bring back the success message on one of the two firmware updates.   Also, I noticed this sucess without confirmation i had to turn wifi off on my MacBook pro a couple of times across 2 firmware updates across the 3 devices and or log back into the router.  I did not need to do any resets or erases.   All my settings stuck.   2.3.0.32 somewhat blindly requests you update your password (set 2 security questions) which I put back to the same thing (it already met recommended criteria).

As far the OBK53 themselves there great, love 4 Ethernet connections for wired connects.  Speedwise through two walls speed is up to 2-3 times my previous AC routers.    That said penetration through 3 walls was no better.   That is to say, I had to arrange the 2 of 3 Orbi in the same layout/places to achieve good coverage in my master bedroom and bathroom.

Very Happy overall.  I do wish Orbi would keep their readishare sofware update/compatible for mac for use of the USB port.  It was a factor in choosing but I knew it was broken software wise and  I had my two airports that could keep doing that job and am using 1 for now.

Message 142 of 386
orbilov
Apprentice

Thanks..   I'll update that part of my post...    The router is on 2nd Floor about 2/3 toward the front of house and Satellites are both on 1st Floor about 25 and 40  feet respectively (including height) from the Router (and the Satellites are about 35 feet from each other).

Message 143 of 386
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback and experineces. Sounds like your system is working well. 

30 feet is recommended in between the base and satellite(s) to begin with depending upon building materials.

I've seen the 30' recommendation a few times.  I am able to run the connection to satellite at just a little north of 50 feet, but it's all on one floor and not too much in the way of interference.  The management console reports good signal quality.  Devices capable of running at full 802.11 AC spec do report link speed at 866MBps.

Having the four Ethernet ports on the back of the RBS50 is quite handy.  My TV, AFTV and AppleTV are all hardwired to it.

Message 144 of 386
orbilov
Apprentice

Now that the last few firmware supports Sat to Sat as well Sat to Router I wonder if the Orbi might  take advantage where there are 2 or more Sats (where one of the Sats is closer to the router) only of value if the two or more Sats are closer to each other then the further Sat from the router.

Message 145 of 386
Chuck_M
Mentor

@orbilov wrote:

Now that the last few firmware supports Sat to Sat as well Sat to Router I wonder if the Orbi might  take advantage where there are 2 or more Sats (where one of the Sats is closer to the router) only of value if the two or more Sats are closer to each other then the further Sat from the router.

I think you are trying to ask if you can have both daisy chain and hub and spoke satellites in the same architecture simultaneously"?

Message 146 of 386
orbilov
Apprentice

Sorry I was not clear.    My understanding is earlier Obri firmware prevented satellites from talking to one another only satellites to Router.   My understanding is more recent firmware allows satellites to talk to each other.   In theory, this would mean in situations where 2 or more satellites were closer to each other then the router it would allow handoff of traffic between the satellites and the closer satellite to the router would finish the transmission (like a relay race of shorts). 

Message 147 of 386
gr8sho
Virtuoso

I would interpret that situation as daisy chain. Under advanced tab —> advanced setup —> wireless settings, mine has that checked as a selection default.
Message 148 of 386
orbilov
Apprentice

Thanks...   Looks like you are correct...   From that features help screen...

Enable Daisy-Chain Topology

This feature allows Orbi Satellite to connect to other Orbi Satellites. This feature only applies if you have three or more Orbi. When you disable this feature, Orbi Satellites can only connect only to the Orbi Router. Enabling or disabling this feature causes all your Orbi to reboot.

Enable Fast Roaming

When you enable this feature, Orbi directs your client devices to the most optimal WiFi band quicker.

Message 149 of 386
Chuck_M
Mentor

I am interested in testing this to see if you can mix topologies in one configuration.... As an example, one RBS reporting direct back to RBR50 while another RBS50 is a daisy chain to a third.

I presume you would set that daisy chain configuration in the RBS50's debug page?

Message 150 of 386
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7