Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - NetGear Orbi Firmware Version 2.3.0.32 now available...

orbilov
Apprentice

Its a single check box and i believe Orbi's firmware decides on the best communcation path among 3 or more devices.

Message 151 of 386
Chuck_M
Mentor

But there is also a check box in the satellite.... so I am wondering if you can mix modes within a single architecture/.

Message 152 of 386
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@Chuck_M wrote:

But there is also a check box in the satellite.... so I am wondering if you can mix modes within a single architecture/.

I'm not sure you can override what is set on the router setup by checking/un-checking in the debug page on the satellite.  I was looking at that yesterday, and tried to "uncheck" something on the debug page and it would not "uncheck".   But, that was yesterday and I've slept since then so I may not have remembered correctly. 

Message 153 of 386
gr8sho
Virtuoso

The word “mesh” implies the satellite should connect to the most favorable peer. And the check shouldn’t need to be that frequent since the router and satellites would typically be in static locations.
Message 154 of 386
orbilov
Apprentice

I would generally trust the firmware to do what is best. Note 2.3 update also had fixes for wired backhaul (which I believe chuck_M has in his set up). Of course if there is some issue we could review together.

On separate note i have no need at moment but i see rbs50s are frighteningly expensive around $250 when rbk53 with router and 2 rbs50 are around $319-$350. Literally could buy a 53 set and ebay all but one rbs and come out for much less.
Message 155 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

You can get some RBS's for around 200 or under:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01LZG4KPC/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

@orbilov wrote:
I would generally trust the firmware to do what is best. Note 2.3 update also had fixes for wired backhaul (which I believe chuck_M has in his set up). Of course if there is some issue we could review together.

On separate note i have no need at moment but i see rbs50s are frighteningly expensive around $250 when rbk53 with router and 2 rbs50 are around $319-$350. Literally could buy a 53 set and ebay all but one rbs and come out for much less.

Message 156 of 386
orbilov
Apprentice

Thanks, checked the link... That's for used ,  new start around 239 + shipping at best, luckily I do not need any:)     Makes me appreciate the RBK53 bundle all the more....  $319.99 at Costco though not that much more elsewhere.

Message 157 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

Well this gives options though to those who have a need. 

Is good to have the KITs available though. Smiley Wink

Message 158 of 386
walkerx
Guide

I've got my replacement orbi's (now more expensive than when I originally got them)

Set them up (bit of a pain) but not on the latest firmware yet.

If I update to the latest firmware, will I need to move the units so they are all next to each other again?

In an earlier post it said to enable daisy chain backhaul, but I was advised to disable this and using ethernet backhaul?

I'm going to be moving one satellite to a position which will mean no longer ethernet backhaul, should this get updated prior to moving and will i still need daisy chain backhaul off?

Message 159 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have a laptop with a ethernet connection, it would be recommended to load the FW files on the laptop, then walk around with the laptop and connect directly to the back of each satellite and update them manually that way. If the the satellites are in good range and have GOOD signal, then you can attempt to update them via wireless. Update the satellites first, then update the RBR last. You have to get v212 loaded on the RBR then load v32. 

If you have the satellites wire connected, daisy chain should be disabled. Also if you have them wire connected then just update them thru there wired connection. You could connect all the satellites up in the same room while you get everything updated, then place them at there remote locations. 

Just suggestions for you to try. 

@walkerx wrote:

I've got my replacement orbi's (now more expensive than when I originally got them)

Set them up (bit of a pain) but not on the latest firmware yet.

If I update to the latest firmware, will I need to move the units so they are all next to each other again?

In an earlier post it said to enable daisy chain backhaul, but I was advised to disable this and using ethernet backhaul?

I'm going to be moving one satellite to a position which will mean no longer ethernet backhaul, should this get updated prior to moving and will i still need daisy chain backhaul off?

Message 160 of 386
Damit1
Apprentice

Done some major tests.

WIFI is dropped by 50% at all. 

Facroty reset and everything. 

Now Wifi works as WIFI and gives 50%, but supposed to be more than that, both WIFI and not AP mode Man LOL

Message 161 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

I would revert back to v210 and see if the speed comes back.

@ErnestTheGreat 

@Blanca_O 

@Damit1 wrote:

Done some major tests.

WIFI is dropped by 50% at all. 

Facroty reset and everything. 

Now Wifi works as WIFI and gives 50%, but supposed to be more than that, both WIFI and not AP mode Man LOL

Message 162 of 386
Damit1
Apprentice

I will stop the auto update, and in 24h it will re-update as I belive it out now as latest version.

Is not it?

Message 163 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this to stop the autoupdate:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/FIX-Orbi-Firmware-2-2-1-210-Performance-Issues/m-p/1695500/hig...

@Damit1 wrote:

I will stop the auto update, and in 24h it will re-update as I belive it out now as latest version.

Is not it?

Message 164 of 386
orbilov
Apprentice

I did not see any performance differences at my further locations between 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3.
Do note as i am sure your aware it is possible other factors are in play:
Competing neighbor wifi or other things using same spectrum. 5ghz usually better then 2.4. Microwave ovans while running (seriously).

Also note there is an interactive effect in handshake between computer and
AP/router. Generally a connection will start at speed with x interference % and then throttle up connection speed over the course of a few minutes. There is also variability. If you were to bring your device to location A and B 10 times you will see different connection speeds and interpherence numbers.. if your testing file Copies or other actual performance metrics this may be a more practical test.

I posit an example that Cellular strangth bars are not soley indiictive or call quality, or internet browsing speed on sites you regularly visit. In fact at times carrier and phone manufacturers have tinkered with revissions with same hardware how many bars equal s X strength.

I would be most focused on actual performance difference s and stability.

Good Luck.
Message 165 of 386
porlockweir
Guide

Has anyone else had issues with Armour enabled?  I upgraded the the firmware yesterday but started getting problems with browsers on multiple devices reporting insecure connections and invalid certificates last night along with Echos being unable to connect.  Disabling Armour appears to have fixed it so far.

Message 166 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you power cycled the Orbi after the FW update? 

Might need to factory reset the router and setup from scratch. 

Others haven't reported problems with Armour as of yet. A few activation issues mostly. 

You can post here regarding Armour Questions and help:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Armor-on-Orbi-questions-activation-issues-and-another-question...

@porlockweir wrote:

Has anyone else had issues with Armour enabled?  I upgraded the the firmware yesterday but started getting problems with browsers on multiple devices reporting insecure connections and invalid certificates last night along with Echos being unable to connect.  Disabling Armour appears to have fixed it so far.

Message 167 of 386
larryindublin
Luminary

I'm also having no Armor issues (except the occasional false vuln report) and have 6 Alex devices connected as well as a mess of other home automation devices.

Message 168 of 386
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@porlockweir wrote:

I have not had any connectivity issues since you asked the question.  In my case I started with a clean slate as @FURRYe38 suggested.  No problems activating the service, and no connectivity issues.  Have over 30 connected devices including echo dots, AFTVs, tablets, security cameras, in addition to seven smartphones and computers.

Message 169 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Thank for posting your experiences with Armor. Please post here as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Armor-on-Orbi-questions-activation-issues-and-another-question...

Thank you. 

@larryindublin wrote:

I'm also having no Armor issues (except the occasional false vuln report) and have 6 Alex devices connected as well as a mess of other home automation devices.

Message 170 of 386
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@porlockweir Its interesting that you are seeing these issue when Netgear Armor is enabled. I have been running Armor on my Orbi for past month or so on both beta and official 2.3.0.X FWs and have not observed these issues. If its not too much hassle can you back up your configuration and reset Orbi to factory settings and see if issue occurs? If the problem does not occur in default factory settings with Armor enabled load the backup config file and see if issue can be reproduced. If you can consistently reproduce the issue I would recommend to reach out to Netgear to have them investigate. 

Message 171 of 386
Beer79
Aspirant

I have also noticed drop in WiFi performance, this happened before the latest firmware. Satellite and backhaul are all showing strong 5ghz performance, but on the main router the 5ghz performance has been halved even when right on top of the router. Not sure if the internal 5ghz radio has failed? 2.4ghz is strong across the board, have done factory resets have tried to revert firmware back to older versions but still nothing seems to improve the 5ghZ signal strength on the router.
Message 172 of 386
walkerx
Guide

when i get round to updating to latest firmware (just monitoring the connection statuses on current firmware, etc) if i need to perform a factory reset, can you use the configuration backup and restore without issues

Message 173 of 386
Chuck_M
Mentor

Yes but you shouldnt need to factory reset.

Message 174 of 386
orbilov
Apprentice

If performance is bad at point blank range it does sound like a hardware issue.   Is the hardware under warranty?    

Message 175 of 386
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7