Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - NetGear Orbi Firmware Version 2.3.0.32 now available...

CrimpOn
Guru

Based on my experience, once Netgear is satisfied that they are "good to go", YES, the firmware will appear automatically on every relevant Orbi device.

By "ready to go" I mean that the eager folks who have been downloading and manually installing this firmware did not discover anything so terrible that Netgear has to go back to the beta release stage.  Not likely, but certainly possible.

A lot of people on the community forum are adventerous and like to "try things."

Message 201 of 386
JammasterC
Star

Ugh please no Auto Update!

I'm happy here on V2.2.1.210

My house is working fine.

Message 202 of 386
mastervisa30
Luminary

Firmware Version 2.3.0.32 didnt work for me,i have droops out all the time on my 2 satellites,

poor signal and not connected all the time,my kids and wife are going mad on me.have tried reset and asked people on this forum for help but still have the same problem.

But i was going back to firmware version 2.2.1.210 and now its working again.

Iv been using orbi a wile now and the firmwares is a nightmare sometimes.

I called my store i can send it back if i want?but i dont know?

Maybe i should go for aimesh asus?ore wait for the new wifi 6 ax orbi/asus

this is startimg to be a nightmare,have been working long time now and suddenly droops out on the new firmare.

I like to test but not my wife and kids:)

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 203 of 386
raven_au
Virtuoso

@mastervisa30 wrote:

Maybe i should go for aimesh asus?

I don't think you will be happy with AiMesh.

I have three ASUS devices and I try each new firmware release.

They don't last very long before I swicth back to somehing else.

The Velops used to be fairly good but lately they get kicked out in favour of the Orbis within a day or two.

People have spoken very highly of Google mesh devices and I suspect the Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh devices are fairly good too but I don't have any of these.

But, now that I've identified the settings to leave off for me to have a stable network, I'm staying with the Orbi for a while.

From what I have seen in the forums what works for me likely doesn't work for others and I believe many of the problems people have are due to one or more particular devices that don't play well with the Obi. Consequently Netgear must play "wait for Qualcomm to fix it" game that takes a long time, not that Netgear are all that quick at fixing things either, a double gotcha.

Message 204 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset the Orbi system and setup from scratch after loading v32? Try this next time when you upgrade. This clears out possible problems after upgrading FW. Others are reporting good operation after ugprading to v32 and doing a factory reset and setup from scratch.

@mastervisa30 wrote:

Firmware Version 2.3.0.32 didnt work for me,i have droops out all the time on my 2 satellites,

poor signal and not connected all the time,my kids and wife are going mad on me.have tried reset and asked people on this forum for help but still have the same problem.

But i was going back to firmware version 2.2.1.210 and now its working again.

Iv been using orbi a wile now and the firmwares is a nightmare sometimes.

I called my store i can send it back if i want?but i dont know?

Maybe i should go for aimesh asus?ore wait for the new wifi 6 ax orbi/asus

this is startimg to be a nightmare,have been working long time now and suddenly droops out on the new firmare.

I like to test but not my wife and kids:)

Message 205 of 386
tgltgl
Star

I'm a new Orbi user. Set everything up few days ago and last night did a two step manual firmware upgrade to this latest version. Everything seems to operate ok so far, although one iphone had to be rebooted to see the wifi (sounds crazy that was only required for one wifi device). Anyhow, I noticed the Armor advertised in the new firmware so wanted to see what that was about but have no idea how to activate it. It does not seem possible at all via computer (browser), so I downloaded the Orbi app to my Android phone to see if that would work. I was able to connect to the router and app seems to work fine, with exception when I select Security button I get message 'Orbi - Device is off-line'. No idea what to make of this since the device is obviously not off-line (I am able to use that same app to run speed test, see network map, etc).

Does Armor actually work on Orbi, or is the new firmware only placholder for service that will be rolled out to this router?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 206 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

I would post your question here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Armor-on-Orbi-questions-activation-issues-and-another-question...

@tgltgl wrote:

I'm a new Orbi user. Set everything up few days ago and last night did a two step manual firmware upgrade to this latest version. Everything seems to operate ok so far, although one iphone had to be rebooted to see the wifi (sounds crazy that was only required for one wifi device). Anyhow, I noticed the Armor advertised in the new firmware so wanted to see what that was about but have no idea how to activate it. It does not seem possible at all via computer (browser), so I downloaded the Orbi app to my Android phone to see if that would work. I was able to connect to the router and app seems to work fine, with exception when I select Security button I get message 'Orbi - Device is off-line'. No idea what to make of this since the device is obviously not off-line (I am able to use that same app to run speed test, see network map, etc).

Does Armor actually work on Orbi, or is the new firmware only placholder for service that will be rolled out to this router?

Message 207 of 386
tgltgl
Star

Thanks for quick reply and that link. After quick read of that thread I've decided to stay away from Armor until they fix the issues. Seems pretty clear it's not ready for widespread use if basic activation types of errors are still reported - and the fact that it's not even possible to activate in browser and only on phone apps (if they happen to work) is another indication it's not ready - really hard to believe this is actually the case so maybe I'm missing something there as well.

Message 208 of 386
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@tgltgl wrote:

Thanks for quick reply and that link. After quick read of that thread I've decided to stay away from Armor until they fix the issues. Seems pretty clear it's not ready for widespread use if basic activation types of errors are still reported - and the fact that it's not even possible to activate in browser and only on phone apps (if they happen to work) is another indication it's not ready - really hard to believe this is actually the case so maybe I'm missing something there as well.

I don't know about that.  Yes it's true that the web GUI from PC doesn't seem to do anything more than display the current state of activation.  However I was able to activate my trial license from the app in iPhone.  The feature can be both activated and deactivated from the app.  I decided to leave mine off as I don't really get what it's doing for me other than sending messages about when new devices are joined to the network.  

Message 209 of 386
walkerx
Guide

Just quick thanks to the users on here who have tried helping resolve my issues with the orbi.

I've now sent it back as its not fit for purpose in my view. when it works, its brilliant but as is with the disconnections, app not working as should be, satellites not using ethernet backhaul when should be, its not a system i could stick with.

I've now switched to google wifi and set this up in 20 minutes (3 device system) and it's working perfectly, no drop outs, no disconnections, no constant cycling of the connection for the satellites. it seems to just work.

It's a shame the orbi's are let down my should buggy firmwares, apps and possible units as when it works as supposed to, the performance is excellent

Message 210 of 386
tgltgl
Star

@gr8sho wrote:

@tgltgl wrote:

I don't know about that.  Yes it's true that the web GUI from PC doesn't seem to do anything more than display the current state of activation.  However I was able to activate my trial license from the app in iPhone.  The feature can be both activated and deactivated from the app.  I decided to leave mine off as I don't really get what it's doing for me other than sending messages about when new devices are joined to the network.  

The activation issue is obviously not a one off when they are asking people to contact them directly (in that thread they are asking people to PM them with serial numbers). But to me the fact the you activated it but then turned if off because you don't have any idea what it is actually doing is the proof that this service is not ready. I want full transparency (and configurability) about what security service like this does or I'm not using it.

Message 211 of 386
Funtastico
Aspirant

Hi all
Also did the upgrade as I had a lot of drop outs with the .210 firmware. As usual it did take the Orbi “network” (as I call it) a couple of hours to adjust itself but now everything seems stable. @netgear: the only pain was that one HAS to change the admin password right after the upgrade - this is a step you should make optional...
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 212 of 386
Zephyr3200
Aspirant

I am from Montreal. I check everyday with the app if the 2.3.0.32 is available. And nothing until now. Do you know when this version will be available through the auto update app? Thanks.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 213 of 386
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@Funtastico wrote:
the only pain was that one HAS to change the admin password right after the upgrade - this is a step you should make optional...

Otherwise it's nagware, right?  With the continued importance of cybersecurity, I would have preferred to see the device have a strong default password from the get go.

In any event I use a password manager (cross platform) that works well to deal with this issue.

Message 214 of 386
RedBatman89
Guide

Hi so I had upgraded my Firmware a few days ago manually and things seem to be pretty good so far. However I do beleive that daisy chain topology is still a little bugged. When I decided to disable it, upon reboot one of the sattelites decided to connect to other one isntead of connecting to the router. So I had decided to power cycle both the modem and router, while this time both sattlites connected to the router but it took longer. I think its because the firmware still beleives topology is enabled when its still diabled.  

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 215 of 386
RedBatman89
Guide

Hi so I had upgraded my rbk23 to the current firmware a few days ago manually and things seem to be pretty good so far. However I do beleive that daisy chain topology is still a little bugged. When I decided to disable it, upon reboot one of the sattelites decided to connect to other one isntead of connecting to the router. So I had decided to power cycle both the modem and router, while this time both sattlites connected to the router but it took longer. I think its because the firmware still beleives topology is enabled when its still diabled.  

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 216 of 386
RedBatman89
Guide

One more thing I'm notcing since the last update is that I'm getting a lot of DOS attack logs now. Here are some of the IP address that are attacking me 

These are just a few from today, now I checked on https://www.iplocation.net/ to find out where they where and they are coming from all over across the globe. With one being from Seoul Korea, now thankfully its not happening every minute but none the less its a little nerver racking, should I be concerned? 

Message 217 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have the 20 series Orbi system and upgraded to v28, please post all of this here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-NetGear-Orbi-20-40-Series-Firmware-Version-2-3-0-28/td-p/1...

This thread is for the 50 series Orbi systems running v32 FW. 

Thank you. 

@RedBatman89 wrote:

Hi so I had upgraded my Firmware a few days ago manually and things seem to be pretty good so far. However I do beleive that daisy chain topology is still a little bugged. When I decided to disable it, upon reboot one of the sattelites decided to connect to other one isntead of connecting to the router. So I had decided to power cycle both the modem and router, while this time both sattlites connected to the router but it took longer. I think its because the firmware still beleives topology is enabled when its still diabled.  

Message 218 of 386
Joboo7777
Apprentice

What’s driving the need to go to this latest version? From reading this thread it seems like an early production release since it can only be manually installed. If I wait, will it eventually be pushed to the router as part of the routine auto update process?

Thanks

Message 219 of 386
CrimpOn
Guru

You are correct.  (Like every product I have ever owned) Netgear's Orbi system is not perfect.  Users find things that do not work entirely as they expect and Netgear's engineers make changes to the firmware.  At first, they test "in house."  When they believe a new firmware is "pretty solid", they invite a group of users to test it out (a "Beta Test").  When the beta test seems to be going well, they release the firmware to people who are eager for a new version.  This is often people who find the current firmware deficient in one way or another.  That is what is happening now.

If a user has "no problems" with their Orbi network, there is no urgency to update firmware.  In several specific areas, when Community Forum members complain about Orbi, the Beta testers often say, "you are correct.  that sucks.  the new release has improved that function.  please try the new firmware and see if it addresses your situation."

If you do nothing, one day your Orbi will have the new firmware automatically.

Message 220 of 386
Joboo7777
Apprentice

Thank you for the response. I did read through the release note and noticed the release of armor security product with 2.3.0.32. I did some research within this comnunity but cannot seem to find alot of reviews/opinions on the capabilities.

Does anyone following this thread have any experience with Armor? I'm coming from the ASUS ecosystem and looks to be very simliair to their AiProtection(ie Trend Micro) implementation which comes free of charge with the router purchase. Just trying to justify paying 69usd annually for something that many vendors provide for free. Am I missing some addtional capability that separates armor's subscription from other products? 

Thanks

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 221 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post your questions and thoughts here about Armor:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Armor-on-Orbi-questions-activation-issues-and-another-question...

@Joboo7777 wrote:

Thank you for the response. I did read through the release note and noticed the release of armor security product with 2.3.0.32. I did some research within this comnunity but cannot seem to find alot of reviews/opinions on the capabilities.

Does anyone following this thread have any experience with Armor? I'm coming from the ASUS ecosystem and looks to be very simliair to their AiProtection(ie Trend Micro) implementation which comes free of charge with the router purchase. Just trying to justify paying 69usd annually for something that many vendors provide for free. Am I missing some addtional capability that separates armor's subscription from other products? 

Thanks

Message 222 of 386
Ragar99
Luminary

You are not missing anything.  Save your money.

Message 223 of 386
HannoosH
Aspirant

Before the upgrade - everything was ok in ORBI RBK53 ... Download speed was about 57 Mbps and upload speed about 17 Mbps .

After the upgrade (which went well with no issues) the both upload and download speeds are not exceeding the 9.5 Mbps . I tried alot of configuration and reset factory settings but with no use . I opened a ticket with the support but still the problem persist and still have the issue .

Please support to resolve the issue or at least provide the steps to return back to the old firmware .

Just to highlight that I am using ORBI from just 3-4 days and this experices is not good for new users

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 224 of 386
HannoosH
Aspirant

Just to highlight the older Firmware that was working with no issues with me before the upgrade to 2.3.0.2 is V2.2.1.210

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 225 of 386
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7