Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - NetGear Orbi Firmware Version 2.3.0.32 now available...

FURRYe38
Guru

Please try a factory reset on the base and satellite(s) first before reverting back. Would like to see if this might clear this up. 

Please set a IP address reservation for the satllite(s) ON the base after you get the satellite(s) connected. 

If not, then we can have NG support review this. 

@1midniterider wrote:

I had disabled it and was still getting the config sync issue. I see where one user reverted back to .210 to correct the issue. Maybe I'll give that a try.

Message 301 of 386

Did you try just downgrading the router (RBR50)? If so, did that correct the issue? I'm assuming you performed a factory reset afterward.

Message 302 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

Please try a factory reset on the base and satellite(s) first before reverting back. Would like to see if this might clear this up. 

Please set a IP address reservation for the satllite(s) ON the base after you get the satellite(s) connected. 

If not, then we can have NG support review this. 

Message 303 of 386

I performed the factory reset this morning, prior to posting message, and I'm still receiving the message. Should I reset the satellites first then the router?

Message 304 of 386

Also, I am using static DHCP for all of the devices...

Message 305 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets try that yes. 

I would disconnect ALL other devices from the base accept for 1 wired PC. Clear all browser caches as well. Add and re-sync the first satellite. Give it time to get the BLUE led on top. Once this appears, go in and set and IP address for this satellite. Save and apply. After the base is ready again, add and re-sync the other satellite. Wait for BLUE led and add an IP address reservation. Save and apply. 

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Check status of the satellites. Let us know the result of this. 

Turn on rest of devices. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Satellites are wireless connected for wired? 

@1midniterider wrote:

I performed the factory reset this morning, prior to posting message, and I'm still receiving the message. Should I reset the satellites first then the router?

Message 306 of 386
spas
Guide

I did not just do the Router. I reverted back to .210 on everything. I like keeping versions the same (if possible) on all devices. A lesson learned from 25 years + experience as a network engineer/architect. 

For those who continually push for "Factory Reset". Please quantify your reasoning! I've be using Orbi for years without issue and with separate SSIDs and really do not want to spend the time to start from scratch unless it is absolutely necessary... The step I took morning restored my network infrastructure.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 307 of 386

House about 2500 sq ft. Standard building materials with wooden floors.

All satellites connect wireless. The RBR50 is in the basement next to the Verizon Quantum Gateway router and connected via the WAN port on the RBR50 to a LAN port Verizon router. The RBS50 is on the main floor in the room directly above where the RBR50 is located on the opposite wall (roughly 30 ft) and it connects to the RBR50. The first RBW30 is on the main floor two rooms away from the RBS50 (roughly 50ft) and connects to the RBS50. The second RBW30 is on the second floor in room above and slightly offset where the RBS50 is located (roughly 15ft), but it connects to the RBR50 in the basement.

Message 308 of 386
Zephyr3200
Aspirant

Thanks guys for your help to install the new firmware v32.
However, I did a mistake with the satellite. I thought I had the v212 but It was the v210 prior to install the v32 but Netgear allowed me to download directly v32 without installing the v212. But i did the update correctly with my router.
Do you think It will cause me further troubles or do I let it as is ?
Thanks again.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 309 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

Reason for factory reset and setup from scratch IS to ensure that any prior configurations or possible mis-configurations are cleared out and any possible FW differences between versions are cleared out, which maybe causing problem and to allow the new FW version to take place with a new configuration from scratch. I have personally seen uses on my system after just updating and continuing where problems appeared mysteriously. After a reset and and clean setup from scratch the problems were resolved. There can be are are differences between FW versions which can be problematic with just applying and continueing to use. Thus sometimes a factory reset IS needed to ensure that any FW or configuration problems are cleared out. This is also a valid troubleshooting step as well. 

I personally have been doing the reset and setup from scratch for a long time as normal practice for each new FW. Once setup, then i save off a new config file for backup. I have ZERO issues. However to each his own. 

Your using an unsupported configuration on orbi so anything could happen that causes problems and would not be NG resposibilty to fix it. 

If by doing a reset and setup from scratch seems to fix the problems you see, fine. Then you could configure it how you like. Until then, the real issue has to be vetted out. 

Message 310 of 386

I too have been using seperate SSID's for 2.4G and 5G. I was curious if you tried just downgrading the RBR50. I have a mixed bag of satellites in my mix. Now I have not performed a diff between the .210 config and the newer .32 config. I'll do that later today.

Message 311 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the gateway running in router mode or is it bridged? Wireless disabled on this gateway? 

FYI:

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

15 feet is a bit too close. There is too much wiff over lap at this distance. 

@1midniterider wrote:

House about 2500 sq ft. Standard building materials with wooden floors.

All satellites connect wireless. The RBR50 is in the basement next to the Verizon Quantum Gateway router and connected via the WAN port on the RBR50 to a LAN port Verizon router. The RBS50 is on the main floor in the room directly above where the RBR50 is located on the opposite wall (roughly 30 ft) and it connects to the RBR50. The first RBW30 is on the main floor two rooms away from the RBS50 (roughly 50ft) and connects to the RBS50. The second RBW30 is on the second floor in room above and slightly offset where the RBS50 is located (roughly 15ft), but it connects to the RBR50 in the basement.

Message 312 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

You can directly update to v32 on the RBS. Since the RBS size is much smaller there wasn't a need for v212. You can if you like, however others have directly updated from v210 to v32 with out problems. 

Use it as is and if you notice something please post about it here. 

@Zephyr3200 wrote:
Thanks guys for your help to install the new firmware v32.
However, I did a mistake with the satellite. I thought I had the v212 but It was the v210 prior to install the v32 but Netgear allowed me to download directly v32 without installing the v212. But i did the update correctly with my router.
Do you think It will cause me further troubles or do I let it as is ?
Thanks again.

Message 313 of 386
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@spas wrote:

For those who continually push for "Factory Reset". Please quantify your reasoning! 

Push sounds a bit too strong, at least in my case.  For a long time I had my routers customized to a large extent, including break of band steering.  Over time I made decisions to stick with default choices where I can, making it easier to factory reset when new firmware was given.  There are too many reasons, some of which I don't recall atm about quirks, nuances, performance, stability or even just experimentation that drove me to this point.  Supported routers are constanty being updated to fix issues, introduce new features, patch security exploits.  I believe my two routers here are working properly based on empirical evidence starting from a clean slate.  

This manual update business is an anomaly frankly.  Most of the time the updates happen behind the scenes.  If you don't notice the update and don't have issues, it's all good.  However many times updates are pushed down and then problems are observed.  This happens a lot with ISP provided routers.  ATT just had an episode where the WAN connection on their newest gateway keeps disconnecting.  Users are factory resetting the device and it seems to have cured their problem.  

The option to factory reset is always there to use if needed.  I think of it as a choice and good advice if anything.

And as a closing point, even how to perform the factory reset appears to be up for debate.  I come out on the side of using the full hardware reset letting the devices manage the startup and pairing on their own, rather than using apps or management console.  This has more to do with how initial IP assignments happen during initial configuration and I believe is purely a personal preference.

Message 314 of 386

Wifi on the Verizon router is disabled. The RBR50 is in AP mode. I can move the 2nd floor unit. It was somewhat stable with the .210 firmware. I would still get the random Internet timeouts, when on Orbi. I have a LinkSys router that I use as a backup to Orbi and it is always rock solid. just slower. I have a 1G conection to Verizon.

Message 315 of 386
spas
Guide

Furry, thanks! excellent response and I get it.  For now, I need to keep things stable and might try to reset to factory at a later date.

I choose to have the (unsupported) separated SSID configuration. If I ever lose this capability, I'm done with Orbi.  I wish Netgear would include it as an option!

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 316 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

Please try a factory reset and setup from scratch before reverting back and see. 

@1midniterider wrote:

Wifi on the Verizon router is disabled. The RBR50 is in AP mode. I can move the 2nd floor unit. It was somewhat stable with the .210 firmware. I would still get the random Internet timeouts, when on Orbi. I have a LinkSys router that I use as a backup to Orbi and it is always rock solid. just slower. I have a 1G conection to Verizon.

Message 317 of 386
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@1midniterider wrote:

Wifi on the Verizon router is disabled. The RBR50 is in AP mode. 

Any particular reason you're not bridging the VZ gateway and using the Orbi in native router mode?

Message 318 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

I get it as well man. Users want and need there systems to work well. The Orbi are designed how they are. Users have been asking for official separation of SSIDs. There is some broadcast disabling I believe on newer FW, however understand, Orbis are based on MESH and Smart Connect. Smart Connect IS the design and operation of the use of a signal SSID name for all radios. How this works. Expectations for users needs to understand that this is how NG wanted there systems to be designed and work, anything beyond that is not cannon. Smiley Wink Possible reason why NG isn't allowing for separation of SSID may bring other techincal problems and expectations which NG doesn't want to get involved with. For the most part Smart Connect does work. I've been using it since it first came the the USA back in 2012 time frame. Was called Bandsteering before this out side of the USA FYI. 

Were just trying to help user here with there problems and most of the time were getting results, including the use of resets. Just trying to find out what helps users and what helps NG to fix what is really broke. Having unsupported configurations can give false positives. So a reset is needed here. 

If you can try a reset at some point, let us know the results. You might try a back up config to file, then do the reset. However not sure if the backup would capture the unsupported configuration. Something you can let us know if it does or doesn't. Smiley Wink

@spas wrote:

Furry, thanks! excellent response and I get it.  For now, I need to keep things stable and might try to reset to factory at a later date.

I choose to have the (unsupported) separated SSID configuration. If I ever lose this capability, I'm done with Orbi.  I wish Netgear would include it as an option!

Message 319 of 386

Yes, when using the Verizon router as a bridge, some services would cut out and sometimes I'd get gross pixilation when watching On-Demand movies. I'm sure I could correct most of the issues, but the family would get very upset when they couldn't watch their favorite show or the Internet access would suddenly freeze. In AP mode I get the benefits of the high speed Internet access with less of the hassle.

Message 320 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

Does this modem use PPPoE by chance? Seen others with issues with this and Orbi. 

Probably why AP mode works best for your configuration. 

@1midniterider wrote:

Yes, when using the Verizon router as a bridge, some services would cut out and sometimes I'd get gross pixilation when watching On-Demand movies. I'm sure I could correct most of the issues, but the family would get very upset when they couldn't watch their favorite show or the Internet access would suddenly freeze. In AP mode I get the benefits of the high speed Internet access with less of the hassle.

Message 321 of 386
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@1midniterider wrote:

Odd.  I believe VZ recommends Orbi as a preferred router.  The Orbi also is capable of detecting a conflict with the host LAN subnet.  Unless there's an issue with bridge mode on the host which is not unheard of.

Message 322 of 386

This was a couple of years ago when I first bought the Orbi Router. I ran the Verizon router as a bridge for a couple of months, but reverted back due the issues I spoke of earlier.

Message 323 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

Wondering if anything may have improved for Orbi since FW updates have been out, possible this may have resolved some issues you were seeing while the Orbi was in router mode. 

@1midniterider wrote:

This was a couple of years ago when I first bought the Orbi Router. I ran the Verizon router as a bridge for a couple of months, but reverted back due the issues I spoke of earlier.

Message 324 of 386
gr8sho
Virtuoso

And it's likely other there are recommendations from either VZ or their user community on how to make a 3rd party router work best.
Message 325 of 386
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7