Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New - NetGear Orbi Firmware Version 2.3.0.32 now available...

Funtastico
Aspirant

Re: New - NetGear Orbi Firmware Version 2.3.0.32 now available...

I can only wonder... switched from an Apple time capsule to Orbi to be on the safe side concerning upates (as Apple officially discontinued their lineup). Result: less stability, same reach... what gives? NG does not deliver a good job, even if it’s their core business. Sad indeed.
Message 326 of 386
orbilov
Apprentice

As noted my earlier post I too switched from Airport Extreme most current, + a prior generation extreme (WDS/“Extended” configuration) + Verizon Quantum router (second SSID wired to one Airport extreme).   While I would agree that AC penetration distance/wall/floors penetration is not greater (AC wifi is still AC wifi).

-One can’t say there is no benefit from Mesh and Orbi’s powerful routers RBK53 system.

-Mesh with dedicated back all over wifi is amazing for the bandwidth /speed that is freed up (one can have up to 200MBs to 800MBs) throughout most homes by employing Router and multiple satellites in the case of RBK53 (Two satellites).     And of course, the Orbi are able to maintain higher throughput in general because it's more modern (more antennas, more recent AC).

As to those maintaining separate 2.4 and 5ghz SSID this along with having 2 routers double Nat'ing can cause huge issues.    

Ideally, the Wifi system (Orbi) and the Client (Computer, etc.) negotiate the best speed and stable connectivity.    5ghz has generally poorer penetration through walls etc. and so 2.4 will usually provide better speed and reliability.

Of course, everyone's home construction, home size, Wifi clients (computers, and other devices etc) are different.  People will not all have the same needs and experiences including firmware updates.  People in this thread also have quite a few different Orbi systems as well.

Anyway, we all try to assist each other here....

Message 327 of 386

Performed the following:

1) Unplugged RBS50 and both RBW30 Satellites

2) Disconnected RBR50 from Verizon Router

3) Factory reset RBR50. Waited for it to reboot.

4) Connected to RBR50 wirelessly to configure. Set to AP mode and connected to Verizon Router.

5) Waited for it to stabilize

6) Powered up RBS50. Waited for it stablize.

7) Factory reset RBS50. Waited

😎 Sync'd RBS50 to RBR50. Waited for Blue LED

9) Performed Steps 6 - 8 for both RBW30 Satellites

Noted first "config sync" shortly after setting up RBS50. After several hours noted "config sync" on each satellite. Rebooted both RBW30 units. The map displayed in Orbi app is constantly changing. Currently both RBW30 units are connected to the RBS50 which is connected to the RBR50 according to "Attached Device" list on the RBR50.

Enabled Implicit BEAMFORMING and MU-MIMO as suggested earlier. Daisy-chaining is also enabled (default).

Message 328 of 386
DougB628
Apprentice

I upgraded this past weekend. So far things seem stable. I have not confirmed any fixes for problems I was experiencing - I have to get a few reboots under my belt to see if the sporadic DHCP problem is solved.

I still see devices on the attached devices page showing as connected to non-existent satellites. My satellites are named Orbi-Sat-1 and Orbi-Sat-2, and while I see devices listed as connected to both of these and my router, I also see devices that show as connected to "Orbi Satellite". It appears to be related to a page refresh issue - once the page is done refreshing, these typically update to one of my satellites. The page appears to have an automatic refresh feature, and the refresh also often takes longer than it should. So the page seems a little unstable in how it refreshes. I think it would make more sense for the connected Orbi column to be empty until it can be populated with the real value.

Message 329 of 386

Downgraded the RBR50 to V2.2.1.210. Left the satellites with latest versions. No config sync's. Appears to be very stable. May not be ideal, but it is working.

Message 330 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok thanks for checking this. Is Daisy chain enabled or disabled?

Sounds like NG needs to review this:

@Blanca_O 

@ErnestTheGreat 

@1midniterider wrote:

Performed the following:

1) Unplugged RBS50 and both RBW30 Satellites

2) Disconnected RBR50 from Verizon Router

3) Factory reset RBR50. Waited for it to reboot.

4) Connected to RBR50 wirelessly to configure. Set to AP mode and connected to Verizon Router.

5) Waited for it to stabilize

6) Powered up RBS50. Waited for it stablize.

7) Factory reset RBS50. Waited

😎 Sync'd RBS50 to RBR50. Waited for Blue LED

9) Performed Steps 6 - 8 for both RBW30 Satellites

Noted first "config sync" shortly after setting up RBS50. After several hours noted "config sync" on each satellite. Rebooted both RBW30 units. The map displayed in Orbi app is constantly changing. Currently both RBW30 units are connected to the RBS50 which is connected to the RBR50 according to "Attached Device" list on the RBR50.

Enabled Implicit BEAMFORMING and MU-MIMO as suggested earlier. Daisy-chaining is also enabled (default).

Message 331 of 386

Daisy chain is enabled, as noted in previous message. 

Message 332 of 386
Chuck_M
Mentor

Since Daisy Chain is enabled... does that mean your router and satellites are positioned logically like this....

ROUTER ---------------------  Satellite #1 -------------------------------- Satellite #2

or does your architecture look like this...

Satellite #1 -------------------------------- Router ------------------------ Satellite #2

Said another way... are you hub and spoke with the router in the middle or daisy chained where the second satellite has to talk to the first and then relay back to the router?

Message 333 of 386

A combination of both. One RBS50 and one RBW30 connects (via 5G) to RBR50 (AP mode). The  second RBW30 connects to the RBS50 (via 5G). 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 334 of 386
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

>> Since upgrading from v2.2.1.210 (via v2.2.1.212), my satellites ( one RBS50 and two RBW30) frequently perform a "config sync". I've performed a factory reset on all devices and it continues to "config sync". Any other ideas?

@1midniterider 

You are not alone with this problem.  I ran into the exact same issue post upgrade from v210 to v32.  Don't waste time with Factory Reset or any configurations fiddling, it won't resolve the 'config_sync' vicious cycles problem.  The Satellites will have connection problem when this happens.  You can verify this by going to RBR50 Firmware Update page.  The Satellites would say "Waiting for connection" instead of "No new firmware version available".   The latest Orbi app will also go crazy trying to determine the network map topology.  The network map will change constantly on every other refresh.

The solution that works for me was to revert back to v210.  I'm sticking with v210 until the next firmware release.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 335 of 386
spas
Guide

I reverted back to .210 yesterday and everything is back to normal except traffic meter. I’m with you on waiting to the next firmware upgrade.
Message 336 of 386

I downgraded the RBR50 to .210, which appears to have stabilized for the moment.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 337 of 386
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

>> For those who continually push for "Factory Reset". Please...

@spas 

SW/Firmware upgrade/update is the single most important thing for NG or any SW company to get it right.  If customers have to resort to Factory Reset to resolve post upgrade issues, NG would have documented it and NG would never push their firmware release automically to all their customers in the first place.  If the current system/setup is working prior to upgrade, it's expected to continue working post upgrade.

Factory reset can be useful if one wants to start from scratch because he/she has made too many config changes and the system is not working as expected.  Otherwise, one should reframe from recomending Factory Reset or be mindful of its impact to an already frustrated user coming here for help.

When was the last time Apple/Google/Microsoft ask their cutomers to do Factory Reset on their devices post firmware/OS upgrade?

Message 338 of 386
Chuck_M
Mentor

Some scenarios where you have configured "below the waterline" with TELNET and committed the changes, would benefit from a reset by reinitalizing those values to their original.

Those values would not be reset with just a firmware upgrade.

I personally never factory reset mine after upgrade and it works fine.

Message 339 of 386
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Chuck_M 

Yes, you are absolute on point!

I've also discovered that saving Web UI changes will wipe out 'special' telnet configs changes.  As example, I changed SSID config via telnet to get separate SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz.  I foolishly unticked the "Daisy Chain" box post upgrade and hit 'Apply'.  Suddenly, things went south and all my 5G devices lost all WiFi connections.  I had to telnet back in and maunally setup up the two separate SSIDs again.

Lesson learned.  Don't change any config post upgrade unless it's a must or it's a new feature that will benefit the current setup.

Message 340 of 386
JohnDire
Aspirant

How much it cost?

Message 341 of 386
BrendonSF
Guide

Interestingly, I was auto upgraded to 2.3.1.44 overnight. Not seeing it officially posted on the website as of yet, but there's a new thread on it with release notes:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-Orbi-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-1-44/m-p/1725013

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 342 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

Interesting. Thanks for letting us know. Hopefully v44 is even better. Smiley Wink

@BrendonSF wrote:

Interestingly, I was auto upgraded to 2.3.1.44 overnight. Not seeing it officially posted on the website as of yet, but there's a new thread on it with release notes:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-Orbi-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-1-44/m-p/1725013

Message 343 of 386
DougB628
Apprentice

So my Orbi router factory reset itself again last night. I wasn’t anywhere near it this time. This time I had backed up the configuration, so I was back in business in just 10-15 minutes. Since this happened after the firmware upgrade I’m a little more suspicious of the router now, although it could still be an unknown firmware bug.
Message 344 of 386
Zephyr3200
Aspirant

On weblogin , i have “service inaccessible “ and an error message with the app when i am trying to verify firmware update.
Any idea how to solve it ? I updated to v32.
Thanks
Message 345 of 386
Jasonpalmer
Aspirant

All, when will USB hdd be available? I have effectively downgraded... Any news greatly appreciated.
Message 346 of 386
Ragar99
Luminary

I went back to 210 also.  Router and Satellites.  I was seeing random speed drops and just didn't have the desire to troubleshoot more Netgear bugs.

Message 347 of 386
gegger
Aspirant

Ragar99 I don’t have faith in stability.  My wife has a home office and can’t afford the down time. Since I have wired all key components directly for speed, I’ve gone back to google Wifi, wireless is slower but incredibly stable.  I thrown all the orbis in a box if net gear ever gets their s..t together I may try it again.  But it will take some convincing.  This was a damned expensive lesson

Message 348 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset of the base router and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. 

@Zephyr3200 wrote:
On weblogin , i have “service inaccessible “ and an error message with the app when i am trying to verify firmware update.
Any idea how to solve it ? I updated to v32.
Thanks

Message 349 of 386
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you see if you can update your system to v44? 

@DougB628 wrote:
So my Orbi router factory reset itself again last night. I wasn’t anywhere near it this time. This time I had backed up the configuration, so I was back in business in just 10-15 minutes. Since this happened after the firmware upgrade I’m a little more suspicious of the router now, although it could still be an unknown firmware bug.

Message 350 of 386
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7