Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Orbi 50 series Firmware Version 2.5.1.32 FW Release

FURRYe38
Guru

New Orbi 50 series Firmware Version 2.5.1.32 FW Release

RBR50, RBS50, RBK50, and RBK53

New Features and Enhancements:

• Improves the NTP sync speed and success rate
  • Includes updates to the Terms and Conditions and adds a Privacy Policy link

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the incorrect power setting on the WiFi Transmit Power Control
  • Fixes potential issues with the Armor activation

Get it here:

https://kb.netgear.com/000062062/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-5-1-32

Update the RBS first then RBR lastly. 

A factory reset and setup from scratch maybe needed if you encounter problems after updating FW. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 62
aptninja
Guide

This is strange.  So my router and 2 satellites have firmware version 2.5.1.16.  And after clicking Check in the interface the status for each is "No new firmware version available." even though version 2.5.1.32 is available.

Is there an intentional delay between a new firmware version release and having it downloaded and available through the UI in the Online Update tab?  Maybe it is intentional to ensure that if problems are discovered from customers who manually update the firmware, fixes can be made before the majority of customers who do Online Updates update their firmware?  Is that accurate to assume?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems to be a mixed bag. Some are seeing it appear in the UI and some are not. ALso may not be up on there notification servers yet either. Also this is a minor update which NG has said they don't push automatically. Minor versions are not pushed. 

So you have the choice of updating or not. 

Message 3 of 62
CrimpOn
Guru

@aptninja wrote:

Is that accurate to assume?

There are many theories regarding how Netgear releases firmware.  I have never seen an actual statement from Netgear explaining the process. Fortunately, there is no urgency to update firmware unless the Orbi is not performing as expected and the release notes mention a change that addresses the problem.

My own practice is to wait a minimum of 2-3 weeks to let the "early adopters" discover if it is safe to update or not.

Message 4 of 62
SounderDude
Tutor

I just upgraded after having lots of issues with the previous fireware and so far so good (2 days in).

I normally wait as well, but needed to start fresh and just went for the latest.

Message 5 of 62

I have never been able to get my Orbi 50 to update by doing the check, it always says that it's up to date even when I know there is an update available... why can't Netgear get this to work?  It's been like this for years and I wouldn't recommend a Netgear product because of thiss!

Message 6 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Some FW uddates don't appear on there services until later on. Sometimes there maybe a ISP or modem issue preventing the RBR to getting to the update services. 

When then happens users have the ability to manually download FW files for there systems that NG makes avaialble on there download web site. Users can easily download the FW files, unpack the .zip files and apply the update to the RBS first then the RBR lastly using the RBS and RBRs web page. It's pretty easy to do using a wired PC and web browser. 

@NicevilleSteve wrote:

I have never been able to get my Orbi 50 to update by doing the check, it always says that it's up to date even when I know there is an update available... why can't Netgear get this to work?  It's been like this for years and I wouldn't recommend a Netgear product because of thiss!

Message 7 of 62
jijun1964
Guide

Dear, I already upgrade firmware RBR50 and RBS50 from 2.5.1.16 to 2.5.1.32. After 2 week running firmware 2.5.1.32, result more stable in wifi connectivity, still experience wifi connection loss, but can be ignore at current level.  

Message 8 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

@jijun1964 wrote:

Dear, I already upgrade firmware RBR50 and RBS50 from 2.5.1.16 to 2.5.1.32. After 2 week running firmware 2.5.1.32, result more stable in wifi connectivity, still experience wifi connection loss, but can be ignore at current level.  

Message 9 of 62
jtam72
Tutor

You can update them manually if you'd like.  Have your router and IP addresses written down for each unit and the firmware downloaded before you start.  

1.  Disconnect all the ethernet cables 

2. Turn off your wireless adapter on you computer 

3. Connect your orbi  to your PC via ethernet cable

4. Type in the IP address for the unit you're updating

5. Enter admin and whatever your password is

6. When you're in the setup go to advanced-administration-firmware update

7. Go to the manual update tab

8. Select the firmware you downloaded from Netgear

9. Hit the upload tab

I updated all three of my units and so far so good.  

Message 10 of 62
jijun1964
Guide

I already update my Orbi RBR50 and RBS50, can consider best update ever. Big improve in wifi connection stability.
Message 11 of 62
Lyth
Guide

I updated 2 days ago and have no apparent issues with performance or connectivity so that's good.  I did have to reconnect my alarm system manually tho, it didn't just reconnect on its own.  I have also noticed that the log no longer shows DHCP requests at all now or when a device connects via WiFi.  It also doesn't seem to retain any information beyond 24 hours either.

Message 12 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, I got word from NG that v32 has been pullfed or the 50 series Orbi systems. NG feels that there were problems they found that needs to be resolved. 

I recommend users load v16. That version worked well for me at least. if you have v32 loaded and don't experience any problems, keep it loaded. IF you are experiencing problems, revert back to v16. 

Message 13 of 62
spewak
Luminary

I was successful in updating the two satellites in my network yet, I am unable to update the RBR50. Updating the two satellites from 2.5.1.16 to the latest firmware was easy. The main router is proving to be tough.

Message 14 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure you downloaded the FW file for the RBR and unpacked the .zip file. 

Use a wired PC and web broswer, IE11, Firefox or opera to update the RBR using it's web page. 

If something happens, you might want to stay at v32 since it was pulled from there download site. 

@spewak wrote:

I was successful in updating the two satellites in my network yet, I am unable to update the RBR50. Updating the two satellites from 2.5.1.16 to the latest firmware was easy. The main router is proving to be tough.

Message 15 of 62
jhoff909
Apprentice

Any idea what the issues were / are?

Message 16 of 62
clammerds
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

FYI, I got word from NG that v32 has been pullfed or the 50 series Orbi systems. NG feels that there were problems they found that needs to be resolved. 

I recommend users load v16. That version worked well for me at least. if you have v32 loaded and don't experience any problems, keep it loaded. IF you are experiencing problems, revert back to v16. 

Good to know. I have to admit, I have v32 installed and for me at least, it's been rock solid. Will leave as is for now.  Will be interested to know what it is that's made NG pulli it. Obviously, if it's security reasons, I'll have to reconsider keeping it.

thanks

Message 17 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

No details on why it was pulled. 

I did notice one thing, the RBR reported my RBS as wirelessly connected instead of wired which it was wired connected. I checked everything I could tell the connection was wired as I connected my phone to the RBS and saw data flow going thru the wired connection to the switch the RBS was connected too. The RBS showed that the wireless connection was grayed out as well. But the RBRs status page showed wireless. So I reverted back to v16 and it's now reporting correctly. 

@Blanca_O 

@jhoff909 wrote:

Any idea what the issues were / are?

Message 18 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

IF it works for now. let it run. If you notice anything, concider reverting. I did see one problem with status not reporting correctly for a ethernet connected RBS. Other wise, it seemed to work ok for me. I've since downgraded back to v16. 

@clammerds wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Good to know. I have to admit, I have v32 installed and for me at least, it's been rock solid. Will leave as is for now.  Will be interested to know what it is that's made NG pulli it. Obviously, if it's security reasons, I'll have to reconsider keeping it.

thanks

Message 19 of 62
clammerds
Apprentice

Thanks for your feedback @FURRYe38 !

Message 20 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 21 of 62
jhoff909
Apprentice

I did notice one change with .32 that I thought was good but maybe it's not.  I have Enable Daisy-Chain Topology turned off as I noticed with it on, if someone was streaming and connected to the first RBS in the chain, it effected the other.  Prior to .32, the UI was reporting that one of my RBSs had a "poor" connection to the RBR but it worked fine anyway.  Now both show as having "good" connections.  I wonder if it's a lie...

Message 22 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

How do you have your RBS placed? For Daisy Chain to work correctly the RBS need to be out in a line from the RBR. Not in a star formation. 

Distance between the RBR and RBS? 30 feet distance  or more to start is recomended. 

@jhoff909 wrote:

I did notice one change with .32 that I thought was good but maybe it's not.  I have Enable Daisy-Chain Topology turned off as I noticed with it on, if someone was streaming and connected to the first RBS in the chain, it effected the other.  Prior to .32, the UI was reporting that one of my RBSs had a "poor" connection to the RBR but it worked fine anyway.  Now both show as having "good" connections.  I wonder if it's a lie...

Message 23 of 62
jhoff909
Apprentice

It's not that simple.  My RBR is on the ground floor.  One RBS is diagonally across the house and up a floor.  The other is in about the same line but 1/2 floor down.  With daisy change enabled, the chain was RBR - RBS on 2nd floor - RBS 1/2 floor down which was strange because the RBS that's 1/2 floor down is closer to the RBR than the other one.  In any case, likely my config is better in a star.  But with .16, the connection to the 1/2 floor down RBS reported "poor" although devices connected to it had decent speeds.

Message 24 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be better if you could put this in a diagram or page lay out of. Include distances as well. 

If you don't think v32 is working well, revert back to v16. 

Message 25 of 62
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7