Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Orbi Firmware V2.2.1.210 security problems

RedBatman89
Guide

New Orbi Firmware V2.2.1.210 had caused me to factory reset

So this morning my rbk23 orbi updated to V2.2.1.210 and was causing issues on me though I had power cycled since I was getting interent issues so I might have borked something. Since after the update my sattleties upon reboot would go from orange to magentta and then blue and I was getting bad backhaul so I had decicded to factory reset.  Now upon that it had decided to reapply V2.2.1.210 and things seemed to be better now but I notice on Attaced devices It will list 5ghz devices as unkown and just connected to sattelite not specifying which one. However for 2.4ghz and wired it will say. 

I'm thinking the new update firmware is a bit buggy? Anyone else get this kind of experince? 

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New Orbi Firmware V2.2.1.210 had caused me to factory reset

Message 2 of 8
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi RedBatman89, 

Please describe your network setup: 

- Modem

- Is the Orbi router set up as router or access point?

- Devices connected to the router (wired and wireless)

- Devices connected to the satellite (wired and wireless)

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 3 of 8
totekin
Aspirant

This firmware caused my security to be disangaded. So now any one can join my network 😞

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a Manual FW load:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

After the FW is re-loaded, reset the the system and setup from scratch. Be sure to walk thru the setup wizard and write down important information for safe keeping. Setup new SSID names and PWs. Use WPA2 and AES settings. 

@totekin wrote:

This firmware caused my security to be disangaded. So now any one can join my network 😞

Message 5 of 8
DB-IN
Aspirant

After an exhaustive search, this seems the best thread to append this to (though it seems similar to at least one other thread that linked me to this thread). I had one of the original satellites on my system go bad (original system was RBR40 and two RBS40s - satellite would power up but no lights from the top and setup never recognized it). The replacement satellite came with the initial 1.0.4.24 firmware. The satellite never had a good connection (although neither orange nor magenta light came on, just the devices that would connect would appear connected to the wifi, but not the internet). I thought it might have something to do with the mismatch between firmwares. I've had NO LUCK updating the firmware. At first, I had to step through each update (e.g., wouldn't let me go from 1.x to 2.x). By the time I finally got to 1.12.0.20, the automatic update to 2.2.1.210 finally showed up on the GUI. But when I click "update all", I just get a message saying "updating settings", the satellite disconnects, and when it finally reconnects, I'm still at 1.12.0.20 with a message that says firmware upgrades available. I've tried to go back and step through each update again, but when manually trying to upgrade to any of the 2.x versions, I just get a message saying its the incorrect file for my model (yep, I'm on the RBS40 download page!). In fact, if I try to manually do the 2.2.1.210 download, after unzipping, the disk image file shows up as corrupted. I've done factory resets of the satellite (not the router yet) and I've removed and reconnected the satellite repeatedly. I turned off daisy chain just for giggles (didn't think this affected anything) and I'm kinda at an end here. 

I did spend a lovely 87 minutes with tech support (mostly on hold and the rest of the time with a particularly annoying rep who wanted to do math problems instead of just issue me an RMA as I requested; "how many square feet? Each devices can handle 2,000 square feet, you have 3 devices. Is your house 6000 square feet."). I think I'd rather offer an Amazon review of my Orbi system I use as a paperweight than repeat the experience with call support. 

Any suggestions? 

Model: RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 6 of 8
ekhalil
Master

@DB-IN wrote:

........... The replacement satellite came with the initial 1.0.4.24 firmware. The satellite never had a good connection (although neither orange nor magenta light came on, just the devices that would connect would appear connected to the wifi, but not the internet). I thought it might have something to do with the mismatch between firmwares. I've had NO LUCK updating the firmware. At first, I had to step through each update (e.g., wouldn't let me go from 1.x to 2.x). By the time I finally got to 1.12.0.20, the automatic update to 2.2.1.210 finally showed up on the GUI. But when I click "update all", I just get a message saying "updating settings", the satellite disconnects, and when it finally reconnects, I'm still at 1.12.0.20 with a message that says firmware upgrades available. I've tried to go back and step through each update again, but when manually trying to upgrade to any of the 2.x versions, I just get a message saying its the incorrect file for my model (yep, I'm on the RBS40 download page!). In fact, if I try to manually do the 2.2.1.210 download, after unzipping, the disk image file shows up as corrupted. I've done factory resets of the satellite (not the router yet) and I've removed and reconnected the satellite repeatedly. 

- You probably need to go through another stepping stone software like 2.2.1.16 or older SW before going to .210. Have you tried upgrading to .16 first? In the Orbi Support web pages (https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK40.aspx#download) you can find a list of all previous software versions, please try one of the older packages before going to .210

- Please try manual upgrade by connecting directly to the satellite and not through orbilogin.com (by browsing to the satellite's IP address):

Namnlöst.png

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Downgrade the router to the same version on the satellite. Then to get the satellite upgraded to v.210, you'll need to pick a middle of the road version of FW, try Version 2.1.1.12. If this takes, then manually install v210 on to the satellite. If you get the satellite updated, manually install v210 on to the router. I would factory reset both router and satellite and then setup from scratch. Then it should work for you. 

@DB-IN wrote:

After an exhaustive search, this seems the best thread to append this to (though it seems similar to at least one other thread that linked me to this thread). I had one of the original satellites on my system go bad (original system was RBR40 and two RBS40s - satellite would power up but no lights from the top and setup never recognized it). The replacement satellite came with the initial 1.0.4.24 firmware. The satellite never had a good connection (although neither orange nor magenta light came on, just the devices that would connect would appear connected to the wifi, but not the internet). I thought it might have something to do with the mismatch between firmwares. I've had NO LUCK updating the firmware. At first, I had to step through each update (e.g., wouldn't let me go from 1.x to 2.x). By the time I finally got to 1.12.0.20, the automatic update to 2.2.1.210 finally showed up on the GUI. But when I click "update all", I just get a message saying "updating settings", the satellite disconnects, and when it finally reconnects, I'm still at 1.12.0.20 with a message that says firmware upgrades available. I've tried to go back and step through each update again, but when manually trying to upgrade to any of the 2.x versions, I just get a message saying its the incorrect file for my model (yep, I'm on the RBS40 download page!). In fact, if I try to manually do the 2.2.1.210 download, after unzipping, the disk image file shows up as corrupted. I've done factory resets of the satellite (not the router yet) and I've removed and reconnected the satellite repeatedly. I turned off daisy chain just for giggles (didn't think this affected anything) and I'm kinda at an end here. 

I did spend a lovely 87 minutes with tech support (mostly on hold and the rest of the time with a particularly annoying rep who wanted to do math problems instead of just issue me an RMA as I requested; "how many square feet? Each devices can handle 2,000 square feet, you have 3 devices. Is your house 6000 square feet."). I think I'd rather offer an Amazon review of my Orbi system I use as a paperweight than repeat the experience with call support. 

Any suggestions? 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7