Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Orbi Installation Fail

Sievers4cy
Tutor

New Orbi Installation Fail

Tried to install a new Orbi router and 2 satellites this weekend and failed. I have FTTH with Centurylink and did my research on what steps I needed to take for correct VLAN tagging. I had everything sync’ed up and was setting up my Orbi configuration when I stalled out at an error that said I didn’t correctly power cycle my modem. So, I power cycled my ONT by disconnecting the battery backup and ac power. After reboot, I had no internet connection and haven’t since. I attempted to revert back to my CTL router, but no connection with it either. Something I did with the power cycle on the ONT really messed up my weekend. I made some calls to CTL and have a technician coming In a few days to troubleshoot. Anyone else experience similar issues with this?
Also, after trying to configure my Orbi without my internet connection, I enabled and changed the VLAN settings with a new ID of 201 and now I can’t connect to my Orbi login to access settings. Factory reset required?
Really determined to get this setup working!
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Sievers4cy
Tutor

It is in router mode. I used your option 1 from above. I disabled the ISP WiFi radios and put it into transparent bridge mode (with correct VLAN ID setting) and entered my PPPoE credentials into the Orbi Setup.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 12
Sievers4cy
Tutor

Ill do my best to answer your questions:
FW version: unknown - I cant access my orbilogin page/settings even with a hardwired connection to my Orbi. I’m hoping this changes once my Centurylink connection is repaired.
Not sure of my ONT manufacturer and model # specs but can look tonight. My router is a Zyxel FR1000Z.
My home is about 2500 sq ft but intend to setup a satellite in a shed in my yard too. Preliminary testing shows that this will work given satellite spacing, however during setup, ive setup satellites in close proximity to my router.
I’m using Auto for channels.
Yes to neighbors with WiFi.

Once I can figure out how to access my orbilogin page, I will be able to play with and modify the settings you mention but first I need to be able to access these settings.
Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

If this is your ISP modem or Gateway:

https://www.zyxel.com/us/en/uploads/images/ds_fr1000z.pdf

Then please try one of the 3 suggestions regarding Modem combo units with the Orbi. 

You may need to factory reset the ORbi router and walk thru the setup wizard with a wired PC connected. 

You maybe seeing a IP address confict with the ISP Modem and the Orbi router. 

Message 4 of 12
Sievers4cy
Tutor

Ok, thanks. I’ll try the factory reset on the Orbi and provide an update on the setup after the ISP technician visit tomorrow.
Thanks for the guidance!
Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes...

Message 6 of 12
Sievers4cy
Tutor

Internet connection is back and I successfully setup the Orbi router and satellites. Thanks for the help!
Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

How is the ORbi setup? Router mode? If so, did you set up the DMZ for the Orbi on the modem? 

Something you will want to do if you use the Orbi in router mode with the ISP modem. 

Message 8 of 12
Sievers4cy
Tutor

It is in router mode. I used your option 1 from above. I disabled the ISP WiFi radios and put it into transparent bridge mode (with correct VLAN ID setting) and entered my PPPoE credentials into the Orbi Setup.
Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, just checking. Enjoy the system. 

Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 12
Sievers4cy
Tutor

I really appreciate all the guidance. Now that I have established this setup that works, I may try to configure my setup without the ISP router. The ISP service tech and support has told me that it’s possible, but that my current setup is easier to establish. I’m going to enjoy the system for a bit before I take this on though! Thanks again, FURRYe38!
Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements