Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Orbi Kit Questions (backhaul options, MU-MIMO, transmit power, bands)

brenth
Star

New Orbi Kit Questions (backhaul options, MU-MIMO, transmit power, bands)

I'm running a new RBK50 setup.  It's working well, and I don't really have any complaints.  I've just been browsing the forum to try to get the most out of my kit.  There were a couple questions I have that I haven't seen asked or answered.

1. I know that ethernet backhaul will always be faster and more stable than wifi backhaul - even Orbi's.  Since Orbi was originally designed and engineered around the wifi backhaul, though, are there any features or capabilities (i.e. band steering, ap steering, etc.) that are sacrificed or diminished when using ethernet backhaul?  Or are all Orbi's "smart" features and mesh advantages active regardless of backhaul in use?

2. I don't have any MU-MIMO client devices.  As such, I don't even have that feature enabled in the advanced settings.  My understanding is that the backhaul connection does support MU-MIMO.  Does disabling the option in the advanced settings impact the MU-MIMO functionality on the 4x4 backhaul?  Or is this option strictly for the client side with MU-MIMO always active for the backhaul?

3. I was able to get two RBK50 kits very cheap from WalMart, so I'm using one RBR50 and two RBS50s.  My goal is to maximize speeds for devices on the 5Ghz band.  What is the concensus on reducing 2.4Ghz transmit power to allow the Orbi units to be placed closer together without too much overlap?  I saw it discussed somewhere when I was doing pre-purchase research on the Orbi, but haven't been able to dig it up since.

4. Lastly, when I fully understood how the 4x4 5Ghz band is reserved for backhaul and not available to clients, I was initially a little disappointed since I was comparing the Orbi to other tri-band routers (i.e. AC3200).  If a tri-band router simply means three separate radios for client connections, though, wouldn't a two-piece RBK50 kit be somewhat equivalent to a quad-band traditional router?  Even not counting the backhaul radio, each unit has it's own 2.4Ghz radio for clients and 5Ghz radio for clients.  So, my setup of one RBR50 and two RBS50s has a combined total of six radios for client connections - three 2.4Ghz and three 5Ghz.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: New Orbi Kit Questions (backhaul options, MU-MIMO, transmit power, bands)

1. Yes they are all still active you can have satellites on ethernet back haul and on the wireless back haul at the same time.

2. I would have to check on this but I would use whatever is best for your setup.

3.That is really up to you to fine the best balance in your environment.

4.yes but they wouldn't be apart of the same mesh network if you are running separate routers.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
brenth
Star

Re: New Orbi Kit Questions (backhaul options, MU-MIMO, transmit power, bands)

Appreciate the reply.  Just as a counter-point to a lot of the posts on here, my Orbi setup is working really, really well.

1. That was what I hoped to hear.  It's good to know that nothing is being sacrified or compromised by using one backhaul interface versus the other.  I'm leaning toward switching back to wifi backhaul because it works so well and I think I would benefit more from strategic placement of the satellites than ethernet backhaul.

2. In my situation, I have no MU-MIMO clients, so it seems safest to leave the option disabled.  If leaving it disabled impacts the MU-MIMO capabilities of the backhaul, though, I'll definitely want to turn it back on.

3. So sounds like I would just need to play around with the transmit power option.  I may just leave it at full power assuming that the default settings are probably optimal for most scenarios.

4. I definitely meant all units within a single mesh.  In my case, there is one RBR50 and two RBS50s.  So, since the router has two client radios and each satellite has two clients radios, I assumed that would give the bandwidth of a traditional router with six radios.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7