Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Orbi RBK50 AC3000 setup with R8000

zzzyzzz
Aspirant

New Orbi RBK50 AC3000 setup with R8000

Hi all,

I have a new Orbi RBK50 AC3000 setup in AP mode with R8000 routing with the wifi turn off. Previous setup was R8000 with EX7500 mesh extender, was hoping to improve things with the orbi setup.

https://ibb.co/G7F3ZWg

Please excuse the MS Paint skills.

While It apepars to be working ok with wifi around the house I have noticed a few things.

• When I was setting it up I had a temporary SSID in use before switching off the R8000 wifi and when I updated the Orbi to a new SSID the Orbi sat kept the old SSID and I had to reset the unit and reconnect it to get it to have the same SSID as the Orbi router.
  • The Orbi app has a red dot next to the satellite bsaically saying its offline
  • Logging into the Orbi router I can see the Orbi sat is connected but it has the a 5G symbol instead of saying its wired (it said wired prior to resetting it to fix the SSID issue)
  • Loggin into the Orbi Sat it says "Your orbi satellite connection is up and running" has blue over the 2.4G and 5G and greyed out wifi backhaul.
  • When I look at the connected devices on the Orbi sat interface it shows all the devices connected not just what is connected to the Orbi Sat.

Message 1 of 3
zzzyzzz
Aspirant

I couldnt see how to edit my post but wanted to add:

• Devices dont always seem to connect to the closest Orbi and sometimes the allocation of 2.4GHZ or 5GHZ doesnt seem ideal.
  • It doesnt always switch to the other Orbi when you move between them with a phone on the wifi, even as the signal is degrading as you move away.
Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7