Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Orbi RBR50/RBS50 Firmware Version 2.3.1.44

orbilov
Apprentice

So just to clarify you have your RBR50 set to AP Mode under advanced?  

-Thus your FIOS Quantum router does the routing

-You have disabled Wifi on the Quantum router

Your  RBS50 Sat is how far/how many walls/floors etc from  RBR and using Wifi backhaul?

Message 51 of 392
coretech51
Tutor

No, my RBR50 is NOT set to AP Mode. I only have internet service with Fios and use my RBR50 for routing - no FIOS Quantum router. I have two RBS50 (satellites) in an Ethernet backhaul configuration - one two levels apart in my second floor office and the other in my outside office house. Again, this configuration has been working until the firmware updates. I don’t know what is causing the RBR50 to use its internet connection/service I have, on average, about 58 devices (WiFi and Ethernet) on my network - not running 24/7.
Message 52 of 392
coretech51
Tutor

Correction: “I don’t know what is causing the RBR50 to lose its internet connection/service.”
Message 53 of 392

@coretech51 wrote:

I use Fios and my router is connected directly to the gateway. 

What is this "gateway"? (People use that term to describe all sorts of stuff.) Another router of some sort?

Is the Orbi in AP mode?

Message 54 of 392
Zephyr3200
Aspirant

I got a “inaccessible service “ message when I have tried to verify new firmware on the NETGEAR web login to get the .44. And as well, I have an error message on the app when I try to verify update firmware. Any idea how to solve it? Thanks

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 55 of 392
coretech51
Tutor

Clarification: My Orbi RBR50 is connected, via Ethernet CAT6e, directly to the Fios Optical Network Terminal (ONT) and not used in an AP mode. 

Message 56 of 392

@coretech51 wrote:

Clarification: My Orbi RBR50 is connected, via Ethernet CAT6e, directly to the Fios Optical Network Terminal (ONT)

OK. Not a "gateway" as most people would recognise it, regardless of the label the ISP uses.

Message 57 of 392
Joboo7777
Apprentice

Have you performed a Factory reset?

Message 58 of 392
coretech51
Tutor

No, I have not yet performed a factory reset. This will be the next step if I lose service again today.

Message 59 of 392
gr8sho
Virtuoso

You have great patience. I would have nuked (factory reset) it at the first sign of trouble.

Btw, 58 devices is impressive. Any issues with WiFi calling if you use it? Any streaming issues?
Message 60 of 392
coretech51
Tutor

Thanks. I’m a retired school teacher who supported tech, servers, network and computers, at my former school/school district.  I look at each issue I have as a learning opportunity. I would say that my network consists of 60% WiFi and 40% hard wired Ethernet. As of yet, I have not had an issues with streaming via WiFi. Most of my streaming devices, Apple TVs, and gaming devices, xBoxs/PlayStations are Ethernet. Also, I have 1gb Fios service.

Message 61 of 392
Joboo7777
Apprentice

Sometimes executing a workaround, in this case a factory reset, can save you alot of time troubleshooting especially if the root cause is something the customer can’t solve because it’s a code/hardware issue. And if you call Netgear about this the first thing they will probably request is the reset.

Unless you run a very complex configuration that will take a lot of time to re input settings after the reset, I would suggest you perform this action.
Message 62 of 392
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@coretech51 wrote:

Thanks. I’m a retired school teacher who supported tech, servers, network and computers, at my former school/school district.  I look at each issue I have as a learning opportunity. I would say that my network consists of 60% WiFi and 40% hard wired Ethernet. As of yet, I have not had an issues with streaming via WiFi. Most of my streaming devices, Apple TVs, and gaming devices, xBoxs/PlayStations are Ethernet. Also, I have 1gb Fios service.

Gotcha .  

Have you enabled the 3 options at the bottom of advanced wireless settings?

Message 63 of 392
Joboo7777
Apprentice

2 of 3
I’ve found the fast roaming was a little to aggressive for my IoT devices. Kept moving from Router to sattelitte and back. Probably could mess with signal strength to address but didn’t seem worth it.
Message 64 of 392
gr8sho
Virtuoso

I probably should state I'm running all 3 myself. Was curious what other's experience was either way.

And frankly I still don't have a good understanding of the full intent of fast roaming and the target use case.
Message 65 of 392
KingJamesKing
Aspirant

Mine downloaded from 2.3.1.32 to 2.3.1.44 and not sure when it upgraded however I have not noticed any problems. I was not having problems on .32 however on.210 I was within 1 day of returning the product to Costco.

i am running in AP mode on Google Fiber.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 66 of 392
Joboo7777
Apprentice

Fast Roaming (802.11r) allows for clients to roam to other satellittle on the same WPA2 Enteprise secured network without having to reauthenticate, therefore speeding up the transiton from sat to sat or router to sat. Problem is techincally WPA2 Personal is not supported so not sure there really is alot of value unless Netgear has modified the 802.11r standard to be used with WPA2 Personal.

Message 67 of 392
datascope11
Aspirant

My Orbi has been like this for a few days now. It continues to say "service unreachable" in the Firmware Update section. I'm on .32. Since upgrading to .32 I've been having experiencing random drops and outages. 

Model Name Device Name Current Version Status
Router RBR50 RBR50 V2.3.0.32 Service unreachable
Satellite RBS50 Orbi Satellite-1 V2.3.0.32 Service unreachable

How can I get it to recognize the new firmware? Do I need to factory reset, and if so - does my backup file contain all things necessary? (Address Reservation, Port Forwards, DDNS settings etc...)?

Message 68 of 392
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Hello, I don’t know the answers to your questions, but if you do go ahead with the reset, let us know if it clears up the problem and puts things right.
I’d also say if you’re worried about settings, I’d be sure to have a verifiable backup plan. I’d probably re-enter the settings manually anyway to be safe.
Message 69 of 392
datascope11
Aspirant

I have tried a full reset on both router and satellite, setup again from scratch. Still says "Service Unreachable" on firmware update page. Stuck on .32? Anyone have any suggestions?

Message 70 of 392
gr8sho
Virtuoso

IIRC, there is a procedure to connect a device like a PC to the Orbi and flash the firmware that way. You should be able to download the file from the NG website, however last time I looked I couldn't find it myself.
Message 71 of 392
datascope11
Aspirant

Yes, I am familiar with the manual firmware update procedure. However on the Netgear firmware page, only .32 is listed and not the new .44. As I understand it, .44 update is an auto update only through the Orbi's firmware update process. Getting really tired of rebooting, manual updates, factory resets... starting to regret Orbi purchase...

Message 72 of 392

@gr8sho wrote:
....however last time I looked I couldn't find it myself.

Because 2.3.1.44 is not there, which is the point of many of the messages in this conversation.

If it is like other firmware, it may show up eventually.

Message 73 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@datascope11 wrote:

My Orbi has been like this for a few days now. It continues to say "service unreachable" in the Firmware Update section. I'm on .32. Since upgrading to .32 I've been having experiencing random drops and outages. 

Model Name Device Name Current Version Status
Router RBR50 RBR50 V2.3.0.32 Service unreachable
Satellite RBS50 Orbi Satellite-1 V2.3.0.32 Service unreachable

How can I get it to recognize the new firmware? Do I need to factory reset, and if so - does my backup file contain all things necessary? (Address Reservation, Port Forwards, DDNS settings etc...)?

Message 74 of 392
datascope11
Aspirant

Since fatory reset, connectivity seems to be much better. Haven't experienced any drops all day. I cannot however, seem to get the router/satelitte to find the .44 firmware (Service Unreachable). I suspect it's because I am in Canada, and the current firmware page for .32 says not to update if you are in Canada. Note, it did not say that a week ago when I updated. Not sure they make much differnece to this problem, but here are the specs you requests.

- Modem is Hitron CDA3. 

- Orbi connected in Router model

- ~3000 sqft

- Distance between Router and Satellite is approx. 35 ft

- Channels are currently auto, I've tried different channels. No difference to missing firmware.

- I can currently see 3-6 ssids from my home, depending on device.

Message 75 of 392
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7