Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Orbi RBR50/RBS50 Firmware Version 2.3.1.44

FURRYe38
Guru

Well since you modem doesnt' have a built in router, we can rule this out. 

Possible that NG maybe servicing the auto update servers and not allowing any access. I would not fret over it.

Run the system for a while on v32 and see how it does. No need to rush in to v44 just yet. 

@datascope11 wrote:

Since fatory reset, connectivity seems to be much better. Haven't experienced any drops all day. I cannot however, seem to get the router/satelitte to find the .44 firmware (Service Unreachable). I suspect it's because I am in Canada, and the current firmware page for .32 says not to update if you are in Canada. Note, it did not say that a week ago when I updated. Not sure they make much differnece to this problem, but here are the specs you requests.

- Modem is Hitron CDA3. 

- Orbi connected in Router model

- ~3000 sqft

- Distance between Router and Satellite is approx. 35 ft

- Channels are currently auto, I've tried different channels. No difference to missing firmware.

- I can currently see 3-6 ssids from my home, depending on device.

Message 76 of 392
Chuck_M
Mentor

Until @FURRYe38 's response above, I was going to suggest for diagnostic purposes to do a "Tracert" to any known location to see what the first two hops were (are they private IPs) which may indicate another router involved somewhere (double nat).

Message 77 of 392
datascope11
Aspirant

Thanks guys, definatly no double NAT possibilities here. I'll hold tight for a couple days to see if .44 starts appearing for Canada customers who have updated to .32 (saw a post on page 2 here where someone else had this same thing). If the drops continue though, I'm rolling back to .210.

Message 78 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

I would set manual channels as well. 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

If you do have wifi nieghbors, adjust channels accordingly. 

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@datascope11 wrote:

Thanks guys, definatly no double NAT possibilities here. I'll hold tight for a couple days to see if .44 starts appearing for Canada customers who have updated to .32 (saw a post on page 2 here where someone else had this same thing). If the drops continue though, I'm rolling back to .210.

Message 79 of 392
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@SW_ wrote:

BTW, Disney Circle and Access Control will affect the CPU performance under high traffic loads, i.e., Speed Test.

@Chuck_M wote:

>> This is a pretty good point to make.  It is intuitive if you think about it.  Armor as well. (Sigh)

IMHO, Armor and Disney Circle are Trojan Wares that are just baits that will hook their customers for the life of Orbi.  Just another form of in-app purchases and subscriptions on Orbi platform, which enables NG to get a cut/share of the profits.  It's a smart move for NG nonetherless.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 80 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

I see other router mfrs are producing HW with more and more on board security. I presume some mfr are doing it to try to help with recent hacks and such and helping to place more security at the router instead of near the end client. 

Message 81 of 392
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

That's what they would like their customers to believe, hence the subscriptions.  If in doubt, take a look at NG rival's firmware, which provides fine grain parental control, access control, web filtering, and Trend Micro internet security to defend against malicious sites, malwares, and hacks.  All these features are FREE and without string attached!

Message 82 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I know. McAfee is getting into the mix as well. Smiley Wink

Message 83 of 392
thombe
Apprentice

So after some instability with the .44 from manual update, but no factory reset, I decided to do the full reset and  setup from scratch. I have my setup in AP mode.

Initial thoughts, the range is not as good as .210 so already i'm not overly excited.

shall report, but i have to say so far .210 has been the best firmware for me at least.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 84 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Thanks for letting us know your experineces...

@thombe wrote:

So after some instability with the .44 from manual update, but no factory reset, I decided to do the full reset and  setup from scratch. I have my setup in AP mode.

Initial thoughts, the range is not as good as .210 so already i'm not overly excited.

shall report, but i have to say so far .210 has been the best firmware for me at least.

Message 85 of 392
randomousity
Luminary

I haven't really had any issues with it, other than it keeps notifying me on the Orbi app that it has updated the firmware to 2.3.1.44. It first auto-updated several days ago, but only the router (RBR50). I used the app to check for updates manually to see if that would force the satellite to update, and it did not. I waited a couple days, and it still did not. So I logged onto the web configuration and maually had it check for updates, after which is detected and installed the update for the satellite (RBS50). Since then, I've gotten two more notifications from the Orbi app that it has updated the firmware to 2.3.1.44. This brings the total to three. Other than the unnecessary updates/update notifications, and the fact that the satellite didn't auto-update on its own, with no prompting, it's been working fine for me. No issues with connectivity, sync between the router and satellite, randomly blocking devices on the access control list, etc. Everything seems to be working fine.

Message 86 of 392
orbiRBK50user
Aspirant

Do you have the download link to the latest Orbi RBK50 firmware (v2.3.1.44)?

I manually updated to 2.2.1.212 then 2.3.0.32 then performed a complete paperclip reset on everything.  Since the x.32 update, the system has automatically updated to v2.3.1.44.  However, I prefer to always download the file and perform a manual update then a reset.  The RBK50 support page does not yet list x.44.

On a minor note, since autoupdating to v2.3.1.44, the Orbi iOS app has popped up a notification at least twice during the midnight hours stating "Your device 4Pxxxxxxxxxx75 has been upgraded to version v2.3.1.44"... seems a bit odd it keeps notifiying me every other night making me wonder if it's stuck in a loop on re-updating. 

orbiMsg.png

Thus my preference for performing a manual update followed by a complete system reset.

I would appreciate the link if you or anyone has it handy.

TIA

Message 87 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

v44 is only available via auto update in the routers web page. 

Files have not been posted as of yet for manual download. 

@orbiRBK50user wrote:

Do you have the download link to the latest Orbi RBK50 firmware (v2.3.1.44)?

I manually updated to 2.2.1.212 then 2.3.0.32 then performed a complete paperclip reset on everything.  Since the x.32 update, the system has automatically updated to v2.3.1.44.  However, I prefer to always download the file and perform a manual update then a reset.  The RBK50 support page does not yet list x.44.

On a minor note, since autoupdating to v2.3.1.44, the Orbi iOS app has popped up a notification at least twice during the midnight hours stating "Your device 4Pxxxxxxxxxx75 has been upgraded to version v2.3.1.44"... seems a bit odd it keeps notifiying me every other night making me wonder if it's stuck in a loop on re-updating. 

orbiMsg.png

Thus my preference for performing a manual update followed by a complete system reset.

I would appreciate the link if you or anyone has it handy.

TIA

Message 88 of 392
orbiRBK50user
Aspirant

Thanks FURRYe38...  any idea how skippybosco got the release notes?  Is there a public page that details this information?

@skippybosco wrote:

Here is the text based:

Changelog:

• [Bug Fix] Fix issues with the Apple HomeKit connectivity
  • [Bug Fix] Fixes the wireless crash and reboot issue when the router is under stress
  • [Bug Fix] Fixes the WiFi disconnection and IOT issue
  • [Bug Fix] Fixes the guest isolation issue for multicast and broadcast traffic breween the main host and guest
  • [Bug Fix] Fixes the Ethernet backhaul boot-sequence issue
  • [Bug Fix] Updates the OpenVPN certificate from MD5 to SHA-256
  • [Bug Fix] Fixes the JP/AU/CA region can't firmware update issue
  • [Bug Fix] Fixes Armor activation failed due to device offline issue

Message 89 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

Maybe from official NG support. When NG decides to offically post the v44 files, if the even do, then release notes will come with the posting. 

Message 90 of 392
lukpac
Apprentice

@orbiRBK50user wrote:

Thanks FURRYe38...  any idea how skippybosco got the release notes?  Is there a public page that details this information?

If you update to 2.3.0.32, checking for updates should show 2.3.1.44 available to update to. Clicking on the link pops up the release notes. Interestingly it looks like they were very slightly edited since originally posted:

Current Version: V2.3.0.32
New Version: V2.3.1.44

Release Notes:
[Bug Fix] Fixes issues with the Apple HomeKit connectivity.
[Bug Fix] Fixes the wireless crash and reboot issue when the router is under stress.
[Bug Fix] Fixes the WiFi disconnection and IOT issue.
[Bug Fix] Fixes the guest isolation issue for multicast and broadcast traffic between the main host and guest.
[Bug Fix] Fixes the Ethernet backhaul boot-sequence issue.
[Bug Fix] Updates the OpenVPN certificate from MD5 to SHA-256.
[Bug Fix] Fixes JP/AU/CA region cant firmware update issue.
[Bug Fix] Fixes Armor activation failed due to device offline issue.
Message 91 of 392
orbilov
Apprentice

Was wondering for people that have been on Orbi longer and on these forums longer if there is a trend as to whether those using the Orbi in AP mode have fewer issues then those using the Orbi in router mode.    Naturally, the Oribi in router mode has to work harder to maintain both routing and a good percentage of the wireless clients while managing communications + division of labor with the satellites. 
I remember seeing prior firmware fixes that include "stress” fixes for overtaxed system resources.   I imagine we would have to put up a poll to know best (if this forum includes that functionality).

I personally have had no issues in AP mode from shipping version firmware 2.10 through every version up to 2.3.1.44. 

Side note: I am in the process of switching my FIOS from  MOCA to Ethernet.  Then after that will request of Verizon that Orbi be the router and stop using the FIOS Quantum router.  Side note wife will be very happy to have all the Coax gone and not hanging from most exterior house walls.

Message 92 of 392
spewak
Luminary

I have had the Orbi system since it originally went to market. With regards to AP mode, I had trouble keeping connectivity to the Satellite. I had the

Bitdefender Box 2 setup and working in conjunction with my Orbi in AP mode yet when Bitdefender updated their Box 2 firmware, I lost connectivity.

Now, imaging my joy when I discovered the Armor function in the latest Orbi 2.3.1.44 firmware. Same function as Box 2 but built in now. Wow!

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 93 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for posting this. 

@lukpac wrote:

@orbiRBK50user wrote:

If you update to 2.3.0.32, checking for updates should show 2.3.1.44 available to update to. Clicking on the link pops up the release notes. Interestingly it looks like they were very slightly edited since originally posted:

Current Version: V2.3.0.32
New Version: V2.3.1.44

Release Notes:
[Bug Fix] Fixes issues with the Apple HomeKit connectivity.
[Bug Fix] Fixes the wireless crash and reboot issue when the router is under stress.
[Bug Fix] Fixes the WiFi disconnection and IOT issue.
[Bug Fix] Fixes the guest isolation issue for multicast and broadcast traffic between the main host and guest.
[Bug Fix] Fixes the Ethernet backhaul boot-sequence issue.
[Bug Fix] Updates the OpenVPN certificate from MD5 to SHA-256.
[Bug Fix] Fixes JP/AU/CA region cant firmware update issue.
[Bug Fix] Fixes Armor activation failed due to device offline issue.

Message 94 of 392
Pummelchen
Tutor

Went from 210 to 44 using 212 an 32 upgrade path. Speed dropped in the whole house from 200MB to ca. 40-50. Like someone else reported, 210 is the only good fw, the rest is crap since then.

Message 95 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you test v32 speeds before going to v44? 

Did you reset and setup from scratch to be sure? 

@Pummelchen wrote:

Went from 210 to 44 using 212 an 32 upgrade path. Speed dropped in the whole house from 200MB to ca. 40-50. Like someone else reported, 210 is the only good fw, the rest is crap since then.

Message 96 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@SwampSlime wrote:
Woke up to find my system not responding. Pretty ridiculous. Will try and reset the system.

Message 97 of 392
Pummelchen
Tutor

Hello,

no, I just followed the upgrade path towards 44. The configuration is unchanged, did not reset anything. In the sense of user friendlyness, this should not be required on a premium product.

Message 98 of 392
lukpac
Apprentice

@Pummelchen wrote:

I haven't done extensive testing, but I was able to get 310/269 after the upgrade near my (wired) satellite with my iPhone 6s yesterday. So faster speeds are certainly possible with 2.3.1.44.

Message 99 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

Was with or with out a reset and setup from scratch? 

@lukpac wrote:

@Pummelchen wrote:

I haven't done extensive testing, but I was able to get 310/269 after the upgrade near my (wired) satellite with my iPhone 6s yesterday. So faster speeds are certainly possible with 2.3.1.44.

Message 100 of 392
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7