Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Orbi RBR50/RBS50 Firmware Version 2.3.1.44

FURRYe38
Guru

Users can use DMZ or IP-Passthru if they want to try and use the Orbi in router mode behind an upstream router. 

@orbilov wrote:
Catching middle of thread but if you are using a router besides Orbi please make sure Orbi is in AP mode not Router mode. This is not auto dectected. Router mode is the default. The double natting can cause huge issues for most, even for devices wired to a Satellite or Orbi router.

Message 151 of 392
Dfran1
Apprentice

my IFTTT app is not working like it used to all the time , now it works sometimes at best!

WiFi is worse , devices connect to the wrong satellite or base, not enough bandwidth errors from my direct tv now app at times due to devices all connecting to satellite and not much to the base ..... certainly not like on 210.     A reboot will fix these on the orbi but the orbi will put it all back on the satellite over time.    

looks like I need to downgrade to v2.2.1.210 that worked great, I’ll give it a little longer but downgrading seems like the best option if that works properly. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 152 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a manual FW file load of v44 and a factory reset and setup from scratch next time you update. 

@Dfran1 wrote:

my IFTTT app is not working like it used to all the time , now it works sometimes at best!

WiFi is worse , devices connect to the wrong satellite or base, not enough bandwidth errors from my direct tv now app at times due to devices all connecting to satellite and not much to the base ..... certainly not like on 210.     A reboot will fix these on the orbi but the orbi will put it all back on the satellite over time.    

looks like I need to downgrade to v2.2.1.210 that worked great, I’ll give it a little longer but downgrading seems like the best option if that works properly. 

Message 153 of 392
orbilov
Apprentice

There are lots of options but if people are having issues its best to keep it simple (AP mode, not router) if there is another router.    A decent portion of people posting here because they have new firmware and have run into issues.    Of course, people could be having hardware issues, ISP issues, competing wifi network issues, but if the only change is firmware its best to keep things as simple and stock as possible while evaluating whether firmware works for them.   Even the defaults on competing routers can make things complicated.   Some routers hand out 192.168.1.x  while Netgear hands out 10.0.0.x    

Message 154 of 392
thombe
Apprentice

@thombe wrote:

Rolling back to .210
So unfortunately for me at least, after a few days now after having done a factory reset and fresh setup in AP mode, this particular version of firmware 44 is the most unstable for me.
TV's glitch, cctv webcams connect or don't randomly, mobiles don't keep a good connection and often show connected but no internet.

am forced to back to .210 this weekend to stop the kids reminding me how rubbish our wifi is.

My two observations on this version is the range is far less than .210 and lots of disconnects and those connections there are don't remain solid.

How can i block the autoupdate on my routher and satellite ?

i use OpenDns so can potentially block it there if anyone can give me any suggestions.

at least until the next version rocks up and i can try that again.

Side note

I have to agree with the idea of enabling / disabling autoupdate by the user.

Happy for the Orbi to tell you that there is an update available, but not to necessarily force it on you.

Stable again
So "upgraded" back to .210 from .44
System is stable again, in fact this is the best version of firmware for me. didn't factory reset after firmware install
Using in AP mode, as only utilising the wifi coverage.

CCTV Cameras all load quickly, Sonos doesn't drop out, mobiles (android / IOS) haven't dropped connections yet, Amazon Fire TV not buffering. Signal strenght is strong around the house.

Shall see how we go, but this is my preferred firmware version at the moment.

p..s using CH6 and CH44

Message 155 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

I set up a RBR50 last nite v44. Came loaded with v44. Factory reset and setup from scratch. Alls was still good this morning.

Will see how it goes. Smiley Happy

Message 156 of 392
Loungepuppy
Aspirant

The update tab in weblogin showed up today. I assume I set autoupdate to "off" at some point when I was on 2.2.1.212

It's difficult to decide wether to update or not just browning through these posts. Often I find that there is a problem-bias in forums. In this case, I guess that a lot or routers have autoupdated and users have not had problems or enough problems to find this forum and post.
Since a factory reset is an investment in time I will hold off a bit longer and watch this thread...

Message 157 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

A factory reset is worth the time. Helps ensure the system cleared out any lingering mis-configurations or bad code. 

@Loungepuppy wrote:

The update tab in weblogin showed up today. I assume I set autoupdate to "off" at some point when I was on 2.2.1.212

It's difficult to decide wether to update or not just browning through these posts. Often I find that there is a problem-bias in forums. In this case, I guess that a lot or routers have autoupdated and users have not had problems or enough problems to find this forum and post.
Since a factory reset is an investment in time I will hold off a bit longer and watch this thread...

Message 158 of 392
radamo
Apprentice

Overnight 2.3.1.44 updated my system Monday evening.  No issues... seems to be operating well.  When I have a chance I am going to test the wired backhaul. I was having issues with the earlier firmware.

Message 159 of 392
Damit1
Apprentice

Just re-flashed manually lastest firmware last night.
Well, upload for Wired devices back on track.
Every 2-3 speed test I do GET the full broadband speed, back again.
Means some limitation on FW with my devices causes this issue.
The AVG speed is 560-570MB, every time to time I get 940-950MB.
Upload is 100-120Mb constant.- Wired no wifi
At least that much 😂
Message 160 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for posting. Let us now your test results. Smiley Wink

@radamo wrote:

Overnight 2.3.1.44 updated my system Monday evening.  No issues... seems to be operating well.  When I have a chance I am going to test the wired backhaul. I was having issues with the earlier firmware.

Message 161 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

Looking good. Hope it works better now. 

@Damit1 wrote:
Just re-flashed manually lastest firmware last night.
Well, upload for Wired devices back on track.
Every 2-3 speed test I do GET the full broadband speed, back again.
Means some limitation on FW with my devices causes this issue.
The AVG speed is 560-570MB, every time to time I get 940-950MB.
Upload is 100-120Mb constant.- Wired no wifi
At least that much 😂

Message 162 of 392

I was on 2.2.1.210 and was automatically updated to 2.3 1.44. I didn't know that would happen, because of the two step process to update to .32. I am still seeing config sync issues and the map in the Orbi app does not agree with the WUI on the RBR50. Will downgrade to .210 when I get a moment.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 163 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

I'll be checking on this this week. I got a loander RBR50 to test for someone and will check the satellite behavior. 

Message 164 of 392
franktribe
Apprentice

Updated and so far so good. 2 satallites on ethernet backhaul. Came up quickly. Runs great...so far.

Message 165 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Thanks for letting us know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@franktribe wrote:

Updated and so far so good. 2 satallites on ethernet backhaul. Came up quickly. Runs great...so far.

Message 166 of 392
BartleyR7
Aspirant

Has anyone else noticed WiFi speeds that degrade over time with this latest firmware? I only have a few data points (just updated ~48 hours ago), but already I've had to power cycle my router and satellite twice to get speeds back up to normal. I normally have around 300Mbps down / 12MBps up, but after the router has been up for ~5 hours, all WiFi speeds dramatically degrade to cap around 30Mbps down. I've tested this on a Mac (macOS 10.14.4) and multiple iOS devices (all running 12.2) and get the same results. But this only affects WiFi. If I plug directly into the router or satellite, I still get normal speeds. When I power cycle the router and satellite, everything returns to normal for a while but seems to degrade.

I did disable implicit beamforming and MU-MIMO (separately to test) to see if that helps. Having implicit beamforming off but MU-MIMO on didn't seem to matter. Now I'm testing with both off.

I'm using the Orbi in AP mode (1 router, 1 satellite) behind an EdgeRouter 4. No Ethernet backhaul.

Message 167 of 392
lukpac
Apprentice

For what it's worth, I haven't had that issue. I just got 322/320 from my iPhone 6s last night, and my system has been up for over a week.

@BartleyR7 wrote:

Has anyone else noticed WiFi speeds that degrade over time with this latest firmware? I only have a few data points (just updated ~48 hours ago), but already I've had to power cycle my router and satellite twice to get speeds back up to normal. I normally have around 300Mbps down / 12MBps up, but after the router has been up for ~5 hours, all WiFi speeds dramatically degrade to cap around 30Mbps down. I've tested this on a Mac (macOS 10.14.4) and multiple iOS devices (all running 12.2) and get the same results. But this only affects WiFi. If I plug directly into the router or satellite, I still get normal speeds. When I power cycle the router and satellite, everything returns to normal for a while but seems to degrade.

I did disable implicit beamforming and MU-MIMO (separately to test) to see if that helps. Having implicit beamforming off but MU-MIMO on didn't seem to matter. Now I'm testing with both off.

I'm using the Orbi in AP mode (1 router, 1 satellite) behind an EdgeRouter 4. No Ethernet backhaul.

Message 168 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Do LAN wired speeds degrade as well? 

How was the FW updated? via Auto update? Or manually? 

Try a full factory reset on the system and setup from scratch. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@BartleyR7 wrote:

Message 169 of 392
BartleyR7
Aspirant

Answers inline.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Like original post mentioned, I'm not connected to a modem from the Orbi. I'm connected to an EdgeRouter 4. If you mean the modem (connect to the EdgeRouter 4), it's a Motorola SurfBoard 6190. That and the EdgeRouter 4 (both in terms of physical hardware and firmware versions) haven't changed.

Do LAN wired speeds degrade as well? As original post mentioned, no, LAN speeds remain stable.

How was the FW updated? via Auto update? Or manually? Manual frimware update was done by upgrading first to v2.2.1.212 and then to 2.3.1.44 (per release notes: https://kb.netgear.com/000060756)

Try a full factory reset on the system and setup from scratch. I'm not going to do this until I exhaust other options. If this is the requirement/fix to every problem Netgear introduces in new firmware versions, then it's probably time for me to jump ship anyway.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? This can't be the issue since I've been using the Orbi for over a year in the same house without this problem. Placement of router and satelliete haven't changed.
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. This recommendation is met, and hasn't changed in over a year.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. Auto channels. Manually setting channels had no effect.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? This is difficult to quantify as we live in a populated area. The short answer is yes, although it is relatively constant. I did a quick survey and found 18 visible SSIDs. However, less than half of them have a signal strength that would support connection. I did not attempt to connect to networks that are not mine. However, this has also remained relatively constant, if not over the past year then at least over the past 3 months.

@BartleyR7 wrote:

Message 170 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank you for answering the questions. 

If you do have other wifi neighbors, i would try reducing the power output of the Orbi, Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. See if the problem continues. 

A factory reset maybe needed. Seen others post were problems appeared after an update. A reset helps. Yes, I agree, NG really needs to get the update and continue problem resolved. For those of us, we do our own resets and setup from scratch. Seen problems with lingering bad configurations or older code that doesn't work right with a update and continue. Reset clears this out. 

Message 171 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok up and running with a RBS50. Took a bit to get the RBS50 updated, finally on v44 as well. Factory reset and hit the sync on the RBR and RBS. BLUE appeared after a few minutes. I did see the config sync in the connected devices at it was being added. Then GOOD and POOR appeared for some reason. Then Config Sync appeared once more before GOOD showed. This was with a wireless backhaul. I guess the sync finally settled in. After that, I connected the ethernet cable from my network as I wanted to get the RBS connected wired. I saw a big slow down of the PC when this happened. I look at my network monitor and saw something being downloaded while I was watching the RBRs web page. After about 4-5 minutes the top led turned on BLUE. I did a IP address reservation for the wired RBS and it's now in it's remote location servicing a ASUS wireless media bridge for a DISH Joey. RBR50 has been up for 2 days with out any issues so far. WIll see how adding the RBS does. 30+ mixed connected devices. 

@1midniterider wrote:
I was on 2.2.1.210 and was automatically updated to 2.3 1.44. I didn't know that would happen, because of the two step process to update to .32. I am still seeing config sync issues and the map in the Orbi app does not agree with the WUI on the RBR50. Will downgrade to .210 when I get a moment.

Message 172 of 392
randomousity
Luminary

Apparently, if you uncheck the box on the NTP page for automatically adjusting for daylight saving time, the traffic meter works properly. I had the same issue, unchecked the box, and now my usage appears about what I'd expect the traffic meter to show. The only thing that really changes adversely from doing that is that your logs will all be time-stamped an hour off, since they'll be showing the time in standard time.

Message 173 of 392
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The effect of the automatic update to 2.3.1.44 was like a factory reset for me. My WiFi SSIDs had been wiped away and my Sonos amp is no longer able to access my WiFi even after I reconfigure Orbi.

I called NG support and was told there is no way to prevent automatic updated once the Router is set-up. The only way the tech knew about the prevent automatic firmware updates is to choose the option during the initial configuration process.

Message 174 of 392
CrimpOn
Guru

@randomousity wrote:

Apparently, if you uncheck the box on the NTP page for automatically adjusting for daylight saving time, the traffic meter works properly. I had the same issue, unchecked the box, and now my usage appears about what I'd expect the traffic meter to show. The only thing that really changes adversely from doing that is that your logs will all be time-stamped an hour off, since they'll be showing the time in standard time.

I was one of the users who was surprised to find the Traffic Meter had quit working.  Well, like the Terminator, "it's BACK."  First noticed it yesterday on the Android app and confirmed it just now.  And.... my Orbi observes Daylight Saving Time and my log entries have the correct time (not an hour off).  If Netgear pushes a software update without changing the version number, would anyone be able to tell?

Message 175 of 392
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7