Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Orbi RBR50/RBS50 Firmware Version 2.3.1.44

DougB628
Apprentice

I have a different problem - my satellites show devices connected to them that are also shown as connected to the other satellite or the router. So it's hard to tell what the device is actually connected to.

Message 276 of 392
jweise
Apprentice

Thanks for information.

Lost internet while writting my previous post at my desktop hard wired to RBR.  Why any wireless setting cause me to loose the internet?

Message 277 of 392
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@jweise wrote:

>> What is Preamble Mode...

This link has useful info for various router settings:

https://routerguide.net/preamble-type-short-or-long/

Message 278 of 392
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@DougB628 wrote:

>> my satellites show devices connected to them that are also shown as connected to the other satellite...

Could be a result of stale/cached info.  Give them more time to sync their info or just power cycle all the Satellites first and then follow by the Router itself.  This will take a bit of time, but it will refresh the database for the connected devices unless you are running into a config sync problem.

Message 279 of 392
pablohoney
Luminary

My issue with download speed halving on account of this update was incorrect. It appears to have been a provider problem as when I disconnected the bridge I had set up between the ISP router and the Orbi and connected directly to the ISP router and ran a speedtest using an ethernet cable I got the same speeds even though the router appeared to be syncing correctly. Anyway, I did a factory reset and it resolved all issues thankfully. So far so good on the latest firmware. I suppose the lesson learned is that the issue may not be the Orbi/local network but could be a wider problem. If possible check with neighbors who are on the same ISP network to see if they are experiencing problems also.
Message 280 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Glad you found the real problem. Yes, there is reason why we ask questions on here regarding ISP HW and items in between. Glad it's working now. Besure to do a back up configuration to file. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@pablohoney wrote:
My issue with download speed halving on account of this update was incorrect. It appears to have been a provider problem as when I disconnected the bridge I had set up between the ISP router and the Orbi and connected directly to the ISP router and ran a speedtest using an ethernet cable I got the same speeds even though the router appeared to be syncing correctly. Anyway, I did a factory reset and it resolved all issues thankfully. So far so good on the latest firmware. I suppose the lesson learned is that the issue may not be the Orbi/local network but could be a wider problem. If possible check with neighbors who are on the same ISP network to see if they are experiencing problems also.

Message 281 of 392
FuzzyJohn
Tutor

@FuzzyJohn wrote:

2. The Attached Devices showed an iPhone 8 as unknown when connected to the satellite. Jury is still out on this. I will update after the iPhone 8 comes back on the WiFi network.

This is now fixed.

Message 282 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. 

Thanks for letting us know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@FuzzyJohn wrote:

@FuzzyJohn wrote:

2. The Attached Devices showed an iPhone 8 as unknown when connected to the satellite. Jury is still out on this. I will update after the iPhone 8 comes back on the WiFi network.

This is now fixed.

Message 283 of 392
DougB628
Apprentice

My experience with .44 so far is that WiFi speeds and reliability seem to degrade over time. One thing that I have found that is unusual is that I have 5 Apple TV's, and when they start to have problems, I have found that the quality & speed of their connection to the WiFi improves if I restart the Apple TV. This seems unusual to me, but I thought it might somehow provide a data point not seen before.

One last thing I plan on doing before I go back to .210 is to verify that daisy chain is truly disabled by looking for the hidden 5G bands from the satellites. If it is not, I will toggle the setting and check again. I may try a 30-30-30 reset followed by setup from scratch, as I already factory reset and setup from scratch shortly after I was automatically upgraded to .44.

Message 284 of 392
bboudreaux
Initiate

I spent 2 hour hours over the weekend with Netgear technical support. My system was running fine for the last 8 months then as soon as .44 was pushed the random drops and lockups started. Technical support has confirmed that MANY people are having issues with .44 and I agree that reseting a system just because of an improperly tested update is totally unacceptable and should never be tolerated. Technical support was useless as their recommendation was to roll back to .212 (even after promising me it would not then do an auto-update). Well, within 30 minutes of the roll-back guess what showed up like a bad penny? You guessed it...44! I even went into to the RBR and RBS's via telnet to lock out auto updates but that was ineffective as .44 showed up again in less than 1 hour. I was about to throw everything out the door when I just decided to do one more rollback to .212, but this time blocking the RBR and RBSs from any outbound WAN traffic via my firewall (I run in AP mode). Since Sunday I am glad to say that my system is rock solid with .212 and I will only manually update from now on.

Message 285 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

System Uptime v44 07:23:35:01
Message 286 of 392
eljarviso
Luminary

I’ve noticed the same problem with my orbi. My AppleTV will also show poor throughput after a while and also require a reboot. I’m running mine in AP mode. Next time it happens I’m going to try a disconnect and reconnect instead of a reboot.
Message 287 of 392

Directions like "factory reset required" should be included in the release notes. The collective we should have to figure it. The release notes should also include deprecated settings for those of us perform advanced changes to the configuration. NG needs to step up. NG needs to treat their commercial line products like their enterprise class devices.
Message 288 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset and setup from scratch.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling WMM, Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@eljarviso wrote:
I’ve noticed the same problem with my orbi. My AppleTV will also show poor throughput after a while and also require a reboot. I’m running mine in AP mode. Next time it happens I’m going to try a disconnect and reconnect instead of a reboot.

Message 289 of 392
DougB628
Apprentice

First, I'm not sure what is wrong with the Model field - I haven't been able to select my model in at least a week. If I type Orbi in there, the options do not include my model.

Next - while trying to confirm that I truly had Daisy Chain disabled, it appeared that I did not. Further investigation reveals that satellites also have their own debug.htm page, and one of the items that appears is "Disable Daisy-Chain". One of my satellites has that checked, the other does not. Looking at the wifi signals around my house, I do see more hidden Netgear signals than I think I should. My understanding is that Daisy-Chain is implemented for wireless by the satellites also enabling a backhaul 5G signal.

For kicks, after realizing that you can Telnet to satellites as well as the router, I dumped the config (config show > config.txt) from both of my satellites, and transferred them to my MacBook Pro. I sorted them, then compared them. There are many differences, some of which seem unexpected. One thing I did NOT find that I expected to, was a setting that was obviously the daisy-chain config.

I'm guessing the only way to get daisy-chain disabled on both of my satellites is to turn it back on and then off again, which means I get to restart twice...

Message 290 of 392
DougB628
Apprentice

@SW_ wrote:

@DougB628 wrote:

>> my satellites show devices connected to them that are also shown as connected to the other satellite...

Could be a result of stale/cached info.  Give them more time to sync their info or just power cycle all the Satellites first and then follow by the Router itself.  This will take a bit of time, but it will refresh the database for the connected devices unless you are running into a config sync problem.

Those of you who live alone, and can do whatever you please with your router / internet connection whenever you please, be aware that you are lucky to have those options. My wife and kids freak out and whine and complain if I cause any issues with the wifi or internet. So I will not be able to do what you suggest until no one is home, or very late at night or very early in the morning.

Message 291 of 392
DougB628
Apprentice

@eljarviso wrote:

I've tried switching bands (I'm running with split SSID's), and it sometimes helps, but often does not. The restart of the Apple TV doesn't always help either, but it helps most of the time.

Message 292 of 392
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:
System Uptime v44 07:23:35:01

Meh.  That’s not really a big deal IMHO.  More important to know performance is correct.  

I’m making preparations to uncheck daisychain and will be doing some before and after speedtests.  Been a long time since I had to use telnet...

Message 293 of 392
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@1midniterider wrote:
Directions like "factory reset required" should be included in the release notes. 

I don’t agree with this.  They can suggest it perhaps under advanced troubleshooting steps, but I’d rather see more comprehensive validation of user settings after firmware upgrade through proper in house testing.  If they need help using a beta program, do it,  I’m sure people will help out. But average users shouldn’t have to struggle with this device and have to know what a factory reset is.  

Message 294 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

Performance is correctly I do get to spec speeds both wired and wireless. 200/10.

image1.jpg

Uptime is important as well. Shows that the system hasn't rebooted, crashed or done anything to cause down time. Shows normal operation time. 

Daisy chain is disabled since I only have 1 satellite. 

Message 295 of 392
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Anyone know what the parameter auto_autoupg is used for? I set it to 0.
Message 296 of 392
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Performance is correctly I do get to spec speeds both wired and wireless. 200/10.

image1.jpg

Uptime is important as well. Shows that the system hasn't rebooted, crashed or done anything to cause down time. Shows normal operation time. 

Daisy chain is disabled since I only have 1 satellite. 

Are you in router mode or AP mode?

Didn't mean to suggest uptime wan't important, it is.  But in the grand scheme of issues, that isn't typically the problem but rather devices not connecting or overall poor performance.

Message 297 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

IMO it's both. Yes performance is a main factor. 

7+ days was in router mode. Just changed to AP mode yesterday. 

Message 298 of 392

Uhm... We went through these questions on the .32 release, nothing has changed. I am stable on .210, with manual update in affect. I'll keep reading the release notes and when it appears that version will correctly address my issues, then I'll perform the upgrade.
Message 299 of 392

The point I was attempting to make, is many of the helpers here tend to suggest factory resets as the cure all, yet NG is deafly silent on the issue, meaning that there is no mention of a factory reset mentioned in the release notes. So we are in agreement the firmware should silently remove, delete and/or ignore settings no longer pertinent the upgraded firmware. In other words it should just work...
Message 300 of 392
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7