Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Orbi RBR50/RBS50 Firmware Version 2.3.1.44

DougB628
Apprentice

So after turning daisy-chain back on, waiting through the reboot, then back off again, and waiting through the reboot, my router and main satellite show it as disabled, but my second satellite shows it as enabled on it's debug.htm page. When looking at the WiFi signals present in my house, I'm seeing two hidden 5G networks that have MAC addresses that are right in sequence with my router and my second satellite. I see no hidden 5G network with a MAC address in sequence with my primary satellite. So I'm almost certain that my second satellite has daisy chain enabled.

Anyone have any ideas on how to reset this? I thinking maybe a factory reset of the satellite and then re-associate it to my router - does that seem like the best plan?

Message 301 of 392

So when is the next firmware version to be released?
Message 302 of 392
KingJamesKing
Aspirant

I have been running 2.3.1.44 for a while now and noticing these messages in log. These are coming from Satellite 2 Mac address. Any ideas? 

Tuesday, April 09, 2019 10:25:19
[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address 9a:3b:ad:17:a8:61

i have RBR53 one router and two satellites

Message 303 of 392
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Google.png

Ookla.png

My Orbi/Satellites performance with v44 are almost back to normal.  Download speeds from Satellites are relatively close to v210.

Message 304 of 392
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@DougB628 wrote:

So after turning daisy-chain back on, waiting through the reboot, then back off again, and waiting through the reboot, my router and main satellite show it as disabled, but my second satellite shows it as enabled on it's debug.htm page. When looking at the WiFi signals present in my house, I'm seeing two hidden 5G networks that have MAC addresses that are right in sequence with my router and my second satellite. I see no hidden 5G network with a MAC address in sequence with my primary satellite. So I'm almost certain that my second satellite has daisy chain enabled.

Anyone have any ideas on how to reset this? I thinking maybe a factory reset of the satellite and then re-associate it to my router - does that seem like the best plan?

When I did the home network reboot, I made sure all devices were disabled and confirmed through the Orbi app. I also cold started both the router and the satellite.  If you did these steps as well, perhaps factory resetting that one satellite might be enough.  

If you hadn’t yet performed a factory reset when you moved to .44, then doing it now would make sense to ensure things start fresh.  I had already done this earlier after the firmware updated itself, hence why I did not do it a second time.  

Message 305 of 392

I’ve found you need to do this to ‘clean out’ a satellite config.

Switch satellite off.
Wait until the router gui shows disconnected and then hit remove.
Switch satellite on and immediately factory reset it via the button.
Wait until it finishes booting up
Add new satellite via the gui.

If you just reset the satellite it seems the router just resyncs it complete with any issues.
Message 306 of 392
thombe
Apprentice

@KingJamesKing wrote:

I have been running 2.3.1.44 for a while now and noticing these messages in log. These are coming from Satellite 2 Mac address. Any ideas? 

I get these also, and have had for some while. 

Following to see what people say here.

rbk50 in ap

Message 307 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

Hows was your system updated? Auto update or did you manually update with FW files? 

Update and continue or factory reset and setup from scratch after the update? 

@KingJamesKing wrote:

Message 308 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

Probabaly a reset should be tried on the RBS first. Last resort would be a reset on the RBR if something fails to connect. 

@DougB628 wrote:

Message 309 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

Something trying to access your wifi network incorrectly? 

I would turn off all wireless devices, then clear the logs on the RBR. Then turn on 1 by 1 yoru wireless devices and see if the logs pick up anything...

@KingJamesKing wrote:

Message 310 of 392
DougB628
Apprentice

@Bullyterrier wrote:

Switch satellite off.

If you just reset the satellite it seems the router just resyncs it complete with any issues.

Thanks for this - I just completed the process, and my secondary satellite now has daisy-chain disabled.

Message 311 of 392
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Wired speed (LAN) from Router is also good with v44.

If you are still on the fence and haven't tried v44, give it a shot.  Be ready to invest time to deal with unexpected issues with your particular setup.  It took me about 2 weeks to iron out the wrinkles in my setup.  YMMV. 

Google-LAN.png

Message 312 of 392
Dfran1
Apprentice

All of this feedback on 44 almost makes me try it again BUT there are lots of steps and stuff to try if the easy stuff does not work!!
That could be very very time consuming and that alone is a major negative.

I am still running on 210 perfectly, matter in fact better than any other router I have ever had, that alone says a lot for 210. I am 5 days 9 hours in with 210 an no problems AND no factory default and reconfigure from scratch AND no resetting of satellite and no playing around with this or that.

I really hope my router never auto updates

BUT if it did a full actual list of steps for all would be nice instead of sifting through all these pages pulling pieces out. Like download and flash, factory default router and satellite but satellite you must default with button and how to etc.
this way others can just do all the steps up front instead of piecing it together taking up days then finding out if 44 or whatever version works for them.
If all these steps are nicely written in order them maybe even I would try 44 again, when I get time of course and no one needs internet. This way all is done up front and if it don’t work then 210 is the only way to go for them.
In the mean time 210 is my recommended way to stay, or you could be spending days trying this and that then this , etc.....
if your going to recommend 44 them please compile a list of all things to do to get there up front, this way others are not off the wall because they don’t have the current time to read all these posts and try one at a time.

For now 210 is just outstanding without all the BS one might have to try to get 44 to work and then it’s a if.
Thanks to all
Message 313 of 392
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@Dfran1 wrote:

I really hope my router never auto updates

Unless you used Telnet method to disable auto update, I’m surprised to hear you’re still downlevel.

If you really want to stay there, learn how to disable auto update.  

Cheers

Message 314 of 392
Dfran1
Apprentice

gr8sho
I did use telnetnet and I wrote a step by step a few pages back
Thank you
Message 315 of 392
gr8sho
Virtuoso

I've gone ahead and done a full reboot of the Orbi network on the 10th (not a reset, as I had done the factory reset when the firmware was first applied), along with disabling auto update via telnet on both the router and the satellite.  Yes, the RBS50 also needs to have its auto update function disabled.  Daisychain was also disabled.  If you log into the satellite's debug page, there is a ghosted setting that indicates whether daisychain is disabled or not.  I made sure all wired and wireless devices were off the network during the reboot process.  Because of OCD, I used address reservation to pin the RBS50 to x.2 address, although it should be said bringing up the network the way I described with no devices active will allow the satellite to grab the x.2 address on its own.

Verified the additional backhaul channel is not active using WiFi Analyzer.  Here it looks like the system is using channel 157 and 161 for backhaul based on the MAC address I see, in addition to the main 44, which I changed from 48.  I don't care what the 2.4GHz is doing and is set to Auto.  The 5GHz channel is a bit of a challenge because my neighbor's wifi keeps stepping on mine so I move mine to be safe.

I'm in agreement with @SW_   WiFi is able to run at full bandwidth. 

Oh, and I did all of the testing on .44 as opposed to downgrading.

Message 316 of 392

@DougB628 wrote:

@Bullyterrier wrote:

Switch satellite off.

Thanks for this - I just completed the process, and my secondary satellite now has daisy-chain disabled.

Thanks for letting me know - that's good confirmation of what I've seen before

Message 317 of 392
HarryCo
Initiate

I noticed that after .44 my RBR50 reboots several time a day. At times, my 2 satellites do not reconnect. So, it could be that your symptom of "loosing Internet" comes from the rebooting. Keep a close eye. Nothing has worked for me so far. Good Luck

Message 318 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since v44 was applied? 

Did you update to v44 via the auto update feature or manually download and install the files? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

I saw 7+ days of up time with out any problems with the system I have. I'm now running in AP mode. 

@HarryCo wrote:

I noticed that after .44 my RBR50 reboots several time a day. At times, my 2 satellites do not reconnect. So, it could be that your symptom of "loosing Internet" comes from the rebooting. Keep a close eye. Nothing has worked for me so far. Good Luck

Message 319 of 392
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Dfran1 wrote:

>> For now 210 is just outstanding without all the BS one might have to try to get 44 to work and then it’s a if.

I shared your frustration and it's great that you've shared your experiences with v210/v44.  v210 has aslo been rock solid for me, but I chose to move on despite the pain I've gone through.  There is a reason I wrote: "Be ready to invest time to deal with unexpected issues..."  🙂

Just to give a counter point on v210, check out this thread:

>> WARNING: Firmware 2.2.1.210 is junk

>> https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/WARNING-Firmware-2-2-1-210-is-junk/m-p/1662983#M45243

There simply isn't a cookie cutter or single instruction that will work for all setups.  I will write mine here.  If it works for you, then great.  If not, just revert back to your current version.

1. Go to download link and download your current version and the new version for both Router/Satellite

- https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK53#download

2. Go to each Satellite Firmware Update page and update the firmware manually

- http://Satellite-IP-Address (http://192.168.1.9/fwUpdate.htm in my case)

- Note that your Satellite might already have the latest version.  If you are OCD, update the firmware manually again.

3. Go to Router Firmware Update and click on Manual Update page

- http://Orbi-IP-Address (http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.1.7 in my case)

- Note that your router might already have the latest version.  If you are OCD, update the firmware manually again.

If your setup is working properly, then you are done.  If your Satellites are having connection/wireless issues, continue to step 4.

4. Go to Satellite debug page, enable telnet and refresh its config

- http://Satellite-IP-Addres/debug.htm (http://192.168.1.9/debug.htm in my case)

- Tick the "Enable Telnet" box

- Go to Windows 10 box and telnet into each Satellite

- launch Windows PowerShell

- telnet Satellite-IP-Address (telnet 192.168.1.9 in my case)

- Type these 3 commands at telnet terminal in the following order to clean stale/incompatible configs and force it to refresh/pull new configs from the main router.  I'm lazy and don't want to climb or having to run up and down the stairs to get access to my Satellites.

1. config default

2. config commit

3. config reboot

Note:  If your Satellite is an add-on, meaning it's not part of the original package, you might have to add them back manually again via the Orbi Add Satellite UI.  If it's part of the original package, it will reboot/resync/refresh automatically.

Note that I didn't mention Factory Reset the router here.  If you are OCD, you can Factory Reset your router.  If you chose to reset your router, do it before refreshing the Satellites.  Be WARN that you will lose all non-default configs if you Factory Reset your router and you have to reconfigure them all over again.  Don't restore the router from an old config file, which will defeat the purpose of Factory Reset in the first place.

Just sit back, relax, get a cup of coffee/tea/whiskey/etc., and let them do the config dance for about 15 minutes to synchronise all their configs, which you can monitor via the Attached Devices page.  If the Satellites are stuck in poor backhaul, then you can try to move it around.  If your family members start planning your demise after this, then quickly revert back to your current version.  The same steps above will apply if you want to revert back to your current version.

If you chose to revert, then you want to lock it down.  Follow this to lock it down:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-Orbi-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-1-44/m-p/1732837#M58...

Good luck!

Message 320 of 392
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

There is a typo for the third command.  Here is the corrected one.

1. config default

2. config commit

3. reboot

Message 321 of 392
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

If your setup is already configured properly, you don't need to change any setting.  Here is a picture of my wireless settings.  This works well for my setup, but it might not work well for yours.  If you are curious, try it out and draw your own conclusion.

Orbi-Regions.png

Message 322 of 392
Dfran1
Apprentice

Thank you sw  

I do agree, firmware for routers are like Russian roulette, and most of the time they are bad, 

the best thing NETGEAR can do is stop forcing them on us, as they push them at the worst times and that alone will get lots of us mad.  Besides how can they push these with only 90 days of support then we have to pay, that’s BS, 

i will try it out again with your details, as soon as I can spend 1/2 a day with no one wanting internet.    

‘Thank you for your kind response 

Message 323 of 392
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Dfran1  wrote:

>> the best thing NETGEAR can do is stop forcing them on us...

Yeah - We're all long for the day that we can tick a box to disable auto-update via Orbi UI.

FWIW, here is a picture that shows "Orbi Router Auto Firmware Update" feature is there, but it's still hidden.  Hopefully, NG will flip the switch one day in the near future.  It may never come, but we can always stay hopeful.  🙂

Orbi-auto-upg.png

Message 324 of 392
Joboo7777
Apprentice

I can relate.I work for a fortune 50 company and it’s easier aligning downtime there, than with my family!
Message 325 of 392
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7