Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

New Orbi RBR50/RBS50 Firmware Version 2.3.1.44

New Orbi RBR50/RBS50 Firmware Version 2.3.1.44

SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: New Orbi RBR50/RBS50 Firmware Version 2.3.1.44

Yup, or if you want to have an instant family meeting.  🙂

I would normally do this sort of disruptive change/upgrade during the curfew windows, 2 hours for lunch and break, 4 hours for dinner and homeworks, 8 hours bedtime, etc.,.

It's the main reason I still deploy my old router to do fine grain scheduling parental control, malware protection, and content filtering.  Unlike Mickey Circle, all these features are FREE and bundled with the rotuer.

Message 326 of 392
DougB628
Apprentice

Out of curiosity, what router do you use that has all those features built-in?
Message 327 of 392
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

I hope I don't run afoul with NG forum rule here, but any modern Asus Router will have these features bundled in their firmware.  You can check out all these features at their website.

I have a pair of RT-AC87U, which I paid dearly for, a few years back.  I picked this specific model for their powerful 4x4 antenas, which will blow Orbi's 4x4 backhaul out of the water.  I setup them up in Wireless Media Bridge Mode for handling large files transfer over wireless to avoid clogging Orbi backhaul, and more importantly to avoid facing the wrath of my family members when Netflix/Hulu/HBO/Online games/etc., starts buffering on and off.  These pairs also serve as 2nd backup wireless network whenever Orbi misbehaves as a result of auto firmware upgrade.

Just to give a point of reference, files transfer/copy speed over my Wireless Media Bridge network is 2x when comparing to Orbi, but they lack the coverage Orbi + 2 Satellites provide.  This combo works well for my family thus far.

Message 328 of 392
DougB628
Apprentice

Oh, and are you running your Orbi system in AP mode?
Message 329 of 392
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Yes.  My Orbi is in AP mode.

Message 330 of 392
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

A WARNING regarding separate SSIDs and v44.

Please read this post before attempting to upgrade to v44 if you're using separate SSIDs and want to avoid the pain.

@MrMediaGuy wrote:

>> Re: "Config sync" loop with firmware V2.3.1.44

>> https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/quot-Config-sync-quot-loop-with-firmware-V2-3-1-44/m-p/1736565...

Message 331 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

I had good operation with v44 in router and AP mode on v44. Zero issues including using a single SSID.

System Uptime 07:23:35:01
Message 332 of 392
gr8sho
Virtuoso

I’m seeing this topic come up over and over again. Why run the Orbi in AP mode over native router?
Message 333 of 392

I choose AP mode because I have Verizon Fios with DVR. I had setup Orbi in router mode to simulate how the DVRs are handled, but would quite often have connection issues where a movie would just pause for not apparent reason and remotely accessing the DVR was iffy at best. Playing on demand movies was also problematic, most times it would work flawlessly, but at the seemingly wrong times it cause pixelation. So now the Verizon router handles the DVRs and dhcp. Wifi is turned off on the Verizon router and Orbi handles Wifi. In this fashion there is peace in the house when it comes to TV time...
Message 334 of 392
nailman107
Aspirant

How to keep control  and perform manual firmware updates:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/td-p/1320421/page/5

Message 335 of 392

@gr8sho wrote:
Why run the Orbi in AP mode over native router?

Mostly because many people have other routers, or modem routers, that offer features that you cannot get with an Orbi system, such as ReadySHARE and USB devices.

The big advantage of the Orbi is its wifi and having two routers on your network can cause headaches.

Message 336 of 392
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@michaelkenward wrote:

Mostly because many people have other routers, or modem routers, that offer features that you cannot get with an Orbi system, such as ReadySHARE and USB devices.

The big advantage of the Orbi is its wifi and having two routers on your network can cause headaches.

Thanks.

I get the dig.  🙂  Not sure though what percentage of users have needs for those two items, I know I don't, and I'm probably missing out on something...

Didn't want to bias the discussion in any way with my original question.  It certainly seems those that do run in AP mode are able to trust the host router to work well.  And then there are some of us that don't trust the host router and prefer complete isolation or as close to it as possible.  And even in this case, the host router still may have a job to do, for instance managing IPTV traffic.

Message 337 of 392
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

If both modes are being equal, meaning you don't depend on features/functions that the old router provides or Mickey Circle/Armor/etc with the Orbi, it boils down to flexibilty and complexity vs. simplicity.

Flexibility:

========

I found that it's less disruptive to configure/put Orbi in AP Mode and plug it into existing network than to disable old router or replace it with Orbi in Router Mode.

Also, if my Orbi stops working, say due to auto-update, I can turn off Orbi and turn the WiFi on the old router and contunue with my work until I have down time to figure out the problem with Orbi.  However, if put my Orbi in Router Mode, I will be in deep trouble and have to scramble to bring my old router back to life in order to continue to do my work.

Complexity vs Simplicity:

===================

Two devices to manage in AP Mode instead of 1 in Router Mode

Message 338 of 392
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

And yes, my Orbi is also configured for Router Mode and ready to switch from AP to Router Mode in case my old router stops working.

Message 339 of 392

I scratched my RBR50 and RBS50 on 3/23/19 and installed the initial release configured for no updates and blocking downloads.netgear.com.  The initial release ran fine for 10 days without autoupdates and without detecting any new releases.

On 4/13 installed 2.0.0.74, the first daisy chain release and then patched that up to 2.0.1.4 fixing the memory leak.  This ran nicely all day but the firmware update page was now reporting a new release available.  I didn't click the new version link but did notice that orbi_auto_upgrade was changed from 0 to 42689245989537.  I set it back to 0 but....

On 4/14 at oh-dark-thirty i was autoupgraded to 2.3.1.44.  I did not manually install it nor did I manually install the prereq - I was hoping to stay on 2.0.0.74 and then proceed cautiously.

After disabling daisy-chain it's been fast and stable, today.

Message 340 of 392
Dfran1
Apprentice

Well I can confirm the telnet blocking does not work, it works for some days them bam orbi updates.    I am back on .44 from the auto update again that happened let’s say 3 days ago now.    The good thing is SO far .44 is going good with no reconfigure or anything so far.    This just does not make sense , 44 working that is, just by orbis auto updating, and my cameras have the same good WiFi signal.   Now I ran 44, 2 times before with no success and poor WiFi speeds, with orbi updating on its own.    You can’t make this stuff up,  oh well now let’s see if it holds up. 

Message 341 of 392
housevampire
Tutor

Well guys in the end i just took the option of factory resetting the Router & the Satellites over the weekend....

&& to my surprise everything works fine...no issues seen for the last 2 days

- NO Config Sync issue

- WiFi speed has improved drastically back to how it was before the latest FW update

Thank you for all your help guys

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 342 of 392
binventive
Initiate

I have to say this forum thread has been enlightening. I have an unopened RBK50 sitting next to me, but after reading about the various issues several people have had with the most recent firmware update, I plan on returning it. It sounds like Netgear has difficulty adequately testing and debugging their updates. The main reason I will be returning the RBK50 is that having to do a factory reset and/or downgrading to previous version(s) of firmware to resolve many/most issues is NOT my idea of how I want my wireless/wired network to operate. I want stability/reliability and performance at a minimum. It doesn't sound like Netgear is able to provide those core functions consistently across firmware update(s). When I worked in the IT field as a UNIX/Linux System Manager if I had to tell my boss(es) that it is likely that we'd have to restore the operating system and applications from scratch (i.e., "factory reset with Netgear") if say any patching operation(s) had issues, I would not likely have lasted very long in the field.

Message 343 of 392
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@SW_ wrote:

If both modes are being equal, meaning you don't depend on features/functions that the old router provides or Mickey Circle/Armor/etc with the Orbi, it boils down to flexibilty and complexity vs. simplicity.

Flexibility:

========

I found that it's less disruptive to configure/put Orbi in AP Mode and plug it into existing network than to disable old router or replace it with Orbi in Router Mode.

Also, if my Orbi stops working, say due to auto-update, I can turn off Orbi and turn the WiFi on the old router and contunue with my work until I have down time to figure out the problem with Orbi.  However, if put my Orbi in Router Mode, I will be in deep trouble and have to scramble to bring my old router back to life in order to continue to do my work.

Complexity vs Simplicity:

===================

Two devices to manage in AP Mode instead of 1 in Router Mode

The one thing that strikes me about this response is the lack of confidence in the Orbi product. 

Even with the recent firmware hiccups I've seen, Orbi in router mode still comes out way ahead of the ISPs router in terms of stability.

Message 344 of 392
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@binventive wrote:

I have to say this forum thread has been enlightening. I have an unopened RBK50 sitting next to me, but after reading about the various issues several people have had with the most recent firmware update, I plan on returning it. It sounds like Netgear has difficulty adequately testing and debugging their updates. The main reason I will be returning the RBK50 is that having to do a factory reset and/or downgrading to previous version(s) of firmware to resolve many/most issues is NOT my idea of how I want my wireless/wired network to operate. I want stability/reliability and performance at a minimum. It doesn't sound like Netgear is able to provide those core functions consistently across firmware update(s). When I worked in the IT field as a UNIX/Linux System Manager if I had to tell my boss(es) that it is likely that we'd have to restore the operating system and applications from scratch (i.e., "factory reset with Netgear") if say any patching operation(s) had issues, I would not likely have lasted very long in the field.

Apples and oranges I think.  Routers seem to have more of a need to be factory reset based on my limited sampling.  If you believe another product does a better job of it, would be good to know, but I suspect most all of them will have forums with posts in them saying to do a factory reset at the first sign of trouble. 

Message 345 of 392

@gr8sho wrote:

If you believe another product does a better job of it, would be good to know, but I suspect most all of them will have forums with posts in them saying to do a factory reset at the first sign of trouble. 

Indeed. I always advocate checking rival forums, as well as review sites, before dumping one brand in favour of another.

There is one big issue with Netgear's competitors, few have an active forum that is stuffed with experienced users and supported by the company's own minders.

I keep an eye on some of those forums, and can confirm that many of the issues that appear here also turn up there. In particular, factory resets and failed updates are an industry wide "feature".

Message 346 of 392
tgltgl
Star

Sadly factory reset is often asked for in other forums as well (I came from ASUS router where that was usually the first canned answer to any issue reported).

HOWEVER, most vendors (actually probably all other vendors) definitely do not force the updates on users in a way where it is not possible to disable them. It is stunning NG forces this on users - makes you wander whether technology experts or sales team are in charge of NG support. Smiley Mad

Message 347 of 392
FURRYe38
Guru

NG Orbi only seem to be the one that forces updates on there product. I have other NG R and XR series routers and they allow me to disable it. 

Message 348 of 392
RedBatman89
Guide

So I have been wondering has anyone else been getting multople Temporary IPV6 addresses on thier computers or IPV6 randomly dissapering since this update. I'm asking since I have begun noticing that on my ASUS ROG WIndows 8.1 laptop I will get multiple Temporary IPV6 adresses and the IPV6 dissaperars as well. It happens on my Desktop sometimes too though its WIndows 10 and after awhile things get back to normal. It only happens on a fresh start up. 

Message 349 of 392
orbilov
Apprentice

May not feel/seem like it but forced updates is for Security against constant cat and mouse between hackers IOT devices that include routers and AP devices.
Message 350 of 392