Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Orbi RBR50/RBS50 Firmware Version 2.3.1.48

SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

New Orbi RBR50/RBS50 Firmware Version 2.3.1.48

Netgear just pushes out another firmware version, 2.3.1.48.

Please share your experience!

Firmware-V48.png

Message 1 of 171
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: New Orbi RBR50/RBS50 Firmware Version 2.3.1.48

Orbi and 2 Satellites upgrade went smoothly.

Everything seems to be in order and working...

Firmware-v48.png

Message 2 of 171
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Orbi App also works smoothly and shows the right network map topology.

Everything is green.

This latest version looks promising!

Network Map.png

Message 3 of 171
Mooose
Luminary

Update went smoothly.

I'm getting the expected ~1000 Mbps speeds over wired connections and ~300 Mbps over wifi for local file transfers.

The iOS app shows ~100 Mbps which is what my fiber-optic connection is supposed to be.

The network map in the iOS app now shows green for both router and satellite.

The web interface still incorrectly shows some wireless devices as wired, but these changed to wireless after a few minutes.

Infuriating reloading of the attached devices table in the web interface is not gone.

1910419-Orbi.gif

Message 4 of 171
McLan
Aspirant

Morning,

The install went quick and easy, but I still can't get an old Brother printer (HL-2140) to appear in Attached Devices or Windows 10 Pro set-up.  Failing printer install I would like to use the USB port in the ORBI to connect an external HDD.

Where's the list of fixes for 2.3.1.48?

Thanks.

Message 5 of 171
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Is there a changelog handy?

It appears my RBK50 has NOT updated. Hopefully the directives actually worked.
Message 6 of 171
Mjmason1
Tutor

Anyone have the release notes for this? It showed up last night and I accepted the upgrade, but couldn’t find the release notes somewhere that was viewable from my iPad.

Message 7 of 171
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Jinx.

@SW_ Did you notice there’s a new switch to handle auto update?
Message 8 of 171
mgil1
Star

Install went smoothly and no problemns - have 5 satellites (+outdoor satellite) all RBS50 upgraded fine

Model: CATRBR50-100NAS|Orbi Premium CAT5e Flat Ethernet Cable
Message 9 of 171
gr8sho
Virtuoso

I looked at the management console and I do see the new firmware downloaded and staged for install. It did not auto update which is nice.
After I get time to apply the update, I’ll perform a full network reset including a factory reset of the RBK50.
Message 10 of 171
Mjmason1
Tutor

I didn’t notice much of anything. I’ve been troubleshooting Orbi issues for a week now and to my surprise saw a firmware upgrade became available and figured I had nothing to lose by upgrading it.

Wishful thinking here, don’t really expect that the new firmware will fix my Orbi problems. 

BTW - I have an RBR20 and two RBS20’s. (I think that’s the model numbers). 

Message 11 of 171
clammerds
Apprentice

Release notes don't say much at all (see below). I'll not upgrade until I have time to do so. If that's all that's been fixed, it will have no impact for me.

Release Notes:
[Bug Fix] Fixes the GUI display issue when the language is set to Japanese.

Message 12 of 171
Dabbit
Aspirant

Did you satellites auto update?  I accepted the push on my router, but the satellites have not updated. And I cannot find the firmware to download to manually update.  Thank you.

@SW_ wrote:

Orbi and 2 Satellites upgrade went smoothly.

Everything seems to be in order and working...

Firmware-v48.png

Message 13 of 171
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

,blockquote>

@gr8sho wrote:

@SW_ Did you notice there’s a new switch to handle auto update?

The firmware auto update switch is visible in my firmware only.

Message 14 of 171
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Dabbit wrote:

Did you satellites auto update?

After I hit the "Update All" button, all of them were updated successfully.

Message 15 of 171
tgltgl
Star

Nice update - no problems so far after updating router and my one sattelite (just by accepting update all). I'm particularly happy to see that it did not autoupdate this time but only notified there was update available. This is very promising - maybe NG is hearing the feedback after all. There are 2 more improvements I'd like to see - there should be Changelog made available to read (before accepting the upgrade), and also it would be nice to have a document available with steps on how to downgrade as part of any firmware upgrade (in unlikely scenario that something bad happens during upgrade we dont' have to go googling around for this, and especially since we are likely without access to internet at that time). If they added these two documents to the upgrade process as far as I'm concerned it would all be perfect in NG Orbi world.

Message 16 of 171
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Mjmason1 wrote:

Wishful thinking here, don’t really expect that the new firmware will fix my Orbi problems.

Just curious, what problems have you been dealing with your Orbi setup?

Maybe someone might be able to help if they've also experienced similar problems with theirs.

Message 17 of 171
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@tgltgl wrote:

...it would be nice to have a document available with steps on how to downgrade as part of any firmware upgrade...

Yup.

As a precaution, I've always kept a previous copy locally for the same reason.  If the update went south, I would be able to revert manually via Router/Satellite Firmware Update page respectively.

Message 18 of 171
Mjmason1
Tutor

@SW_ wrote:

@Mjmason1 wrote:

Just curious, what problems have you been dealing with your Orbi setup?

Maybe someone might be able to help if they've also experienced similar problems with theirs.

Thanks @SW_ 

I've have actually been reading a whole lot of posts in an effort to try some of the ideas I have been seeing. I'll give those a try and if that fails, I'll put out an SOS for help. I'm not a networking novice, but am far from an expert. Pretty sad that these devices require so much finesse. I've been a Netgear devotee for a long time, but these Orbi devices have fallen short and tainted my views on Netgear. It just hasn't been a good experience relative to what the product is supposed to deliver.

I'm secretly hoping that with each new firmware update improvements to ease of use will improve.

Message 19 of 171
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@SW_ wrote:

The firmware auto update switch is visible in my firmware only.

You don't seem impressed.  This is what .44 looks like.  Notice lack of switch. 

I'm assuming the presence of the switch comes with the new update.

Annotation 2019-04-19 122200.png

Message 20 of 171
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@gr8sho 

I'm impressed with the new version as far as how upgrade went so far for my setup.  What I meant to say was that I'm still a bit disappointed that firmware auto update selection is still not enabled/visible on this version.  Maybe it's still not ready for prime time.

Message 21 of 171
KingJamesKing
Aspirant

Already updated RBR50 and two RBS satellites from .44. I can't find release notes but upgrade went fine and no issues last hour

Message 22 of 171
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Hi @KingJamesKing

@clammerds mentioned the release notes here.

Message 23 of 171

The filesize is 30% larger than the previous release but just about the same size as the release before that.  Their build system is **bleep**ed up.

Message 24 of 171
jweise
Apprentice

I updated to 48 a few minutes ago.  It went smoothly and do not see any obvious changes.

Have my system running in AP mode due to problems with 44.  Time will tell!

Message 25 of 171
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7