Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - Orbi RBR50 Router Firmware Version V2.7.2.104 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

New - Orbi RBR50 Router Firmware Version V2.7.2.104 Released

Security Fixes:

• Fixes security issues

This firmware addresses security vulnerabilities. For more information about security vulnerabilities, visit https://www.netgear.com/about/security.

Download Link:.

RBR50 - https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/RBR50-V2.7.2.104.zip

RBS50 - https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/RBS50-V2.7.2.104.zip

IF this doesn't appear in the RBRs FW upate web page as being available, you can manually install and apply:

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...
https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

Update the RBS first, then RBR lastly.

Let us know how it works for you. 

Good Luck. 

Message 1 of 184

Accepted Solutions
Paul361
Initiate

I became aware of the latest firmware while browsing this forum. Neither the app nor the web interface indicated an available update. I downloaded the files via my computer and performed a manual update via the web interface -- one satellite first, then the other, then on to the router. (RBK50) In the past, I have had updates pushed out (only once); notices both on the web and app of firmware updates available; and updates that I found were released via this forum which I've manually installed (the latter seems to be the most frequent way I have updated firmware). Through all ways, I have never had the slightest issue with downloading and installing updated firmware.

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 184

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for your recommendation, however when I do manual updates, works just fine.

Message 2 of 184
alokeprasad
Mentor

The Readme (

https://kb.netgear.com/000062857/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-7-2-104 ) mentions the security page (https://www.netgear.com/about/security ).

But the Security page has no information specific to this release (which fixes security issues).

Why the lack of transparency?

Message 3 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

I agree, don't know. We don't usually see any details from NG when it's about Security fixes. I've never seen any details. Smiley Embarassed

Message 4 of 184
tagteam
Virtuoso

@alokeprasad wrote:

The Readme (

https://kb.netgear.com/000062857/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-7-2-104 ) mentions the security page (https://www.netgear.com/about/security ).

But the Security page has no information specific to this release (which fixes security issues).

Good question. Here's another one: Why isn't the RBR50 included in the latest advisory dated 1/21/21?

Message 5 of 184
alokeprasad
Mentor

The WiFi 6 Orbi's have had their own set of challanges.  Thay have had a lot of security and other updates.

Message 6 of 184
alokeprasad
Mentor

A manual check for updates using the web interface (Advanced -> Administration -> Firmware Update) shows no new updates available.

Lets see if NG pushes this to the devices without user intervention ...

Time to save the configuration in case its needed Smiley LOL

Message 7 of 184
DeanB1452
Apprentice

Earlier today I saw there was an update available to my RBS20 via manual update to v2.6.2.104.  I went ahead and processed that update.  Later, I saw FURRYe38's post about an update for 50 series.  I checked in the app as well as the web interface and as usual, no updates available.  I downloaded and manually installed the satellite updates (v2.7.2.104) to my RBS50's.  I checked the app and web interface afterwards.  It still shows no update for the RBR50 in the web interface, BUT in the app it shows there is an update available for the router.  I already have the file downloaded for the router and just waiting for my kid to get done with his online homework before updating the router.  Keeping my fingers crossed!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 8 of 184
John_Ba
Luminary

My router said update, first one it has shown, updated with no problems. Looks to be working OK.
Message 9 of 184
SkywalkerPD
Apprentice

Firmware is also available for my RBK50 with firmware 2.6.x.x installed. Updating now to 2.7.2.104

Message 10 of 184
vajim
Master

@BoilerPlate wrote:

vajim< User Beware. Smiley Sad

Is that all you can say my friend?

You're obviously bothered by the truth 

if you want to try the update please do do

but you think you're saving the forum with your child like posts

Message 11 of 184
vajim
Master

@alokeprasad wrote:

The Readme (

Great question

Is the original poster a moderator?

if not why not let the moderators make the post about their product?

Message 12 of 184
alokeprasad
Mentor

The moderators don't ever post here.  I don't even know who they are.

It is reasonable to inform/warn users that a new firmware is out there.  NG is pushing updates to devices (although no one knows when) and people can prepare by saving the configuration, or if strange things start happening to their Orbi's...

Those that tend to jump on these things (accepting the risks/benefits) can do so now ans we can all be wiser for their experience.

Message 13 of 184
alokeprasad
Mentor

To those who have updated to 2.7.2.104:

Did you:

a) go looking for the update?

a.1) Did you do that in the app?

a.2) Did you do that on the web interface?

b) were you informed by the app of the update and chose when to install it?

c) did the update get installed without ANY action on your part?

Message 14 of 184
vajim
Master

@alokeprasad wrote:

The moderators don't ever post here.  I don't even know who they are.

It is reasonable to inform/warn users that a new firmware is out there.  NG is pushing updates to devices (although no one knows when) and people can prepare by saving the configuration, or if strange things start happening to their Orbi's...

Those that tend to jump on these things (accepting the risks/benefits) can do so now ans we can all be wiser for their experience.

Oh the moderators do post in here or at least they identify themselves as moderators.  I've seen a few dealing with warranty issues.  My question about moderators was more aimed at 'some' in here that appear to act like a moderator, pushing untested firmware only to be back here in peppering them with 1000s of questions in a vicious circle.  Maybe that's the plan.

Yes, it is reasonable for the firmware announcement to be posted, however it would be better served with more authority if it came from a moderator.  The way that these types are posted, there is never any mention of risks.  The fact that it comes from someone who is categorized as a GURU with 1000s of posts would appear to many as gospel.  Not good.

Message 15 of 184
defjaf
Tutor

Is this update US-only (as was the last in the 2.7 series)?

Message 16 of 184
alokeprasad
Mentor

@defjaf wrote:

Doesn't say so anywhere.

Message 17 of 184
Paul361
Initiate

I became aware of the latest firmware while browsing this forum. Neither the app nor the web interface indicated an available update. I downloaded the files via my computer and performed a manual update via the web interface -- one satellite first, then the other, then on to the router. (RBK50) In the past, I have had updates pushed out (only once); notices both on the web and app of firmware updates available; and updates that I found were released via this forum which I've manually installed (the latter seems to be the most frequent way I have updated firmware). Through all ways, I have never had the slightest issue with downloading and installing updated firmware.
Message 18 of 184
defjaf
Tutor

I am in the UK and currently on 2.6.1.40.

Interestingly. the product/download page shows both 2.7.2.104 and 2.6.1.40, but neither seems to be marked as region-specific (IIRC the previous 2.7.* was marked US-only on this page).

Moreover, 2.7.2.104 is now being shown as available on both the iOS Orbi app and the orbilogin web page. (If I update I probably can't do it until later.)

Message 19 of 184
vajim
Master

Message 20 of 184
alokeprasad
Mentor

It lists only the following as affected by it:

RBR750

RBR850

RBS40V

RBS750

RBS850

Message 21 of 184
vajim
Master

@alokeprasad wrote:

It lists only the following as affected by it:

RBR750

RBR850

RBS40V

RBS750

RBS850

yes....and the scary part is IF the user didn't dig and read that (like you did..thank you) there may have been problems.

Message 22 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

I would not assume that v104 isn't for all regions, this version still follows the v2.7 version line thus may still be considered a continuation fix from the v2.7 line and thus maybe a security fix for what may have been missing in v102 which I is still a US region only version. 

This article applies to:

@defjaf wrote:

Message 23 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible that NG is making v2.7_v104 line available for all regions if your seeing this on the Orbi app and on the RBRs web page if your in the UK. This is good info.

@defjaf wrote:

I am in the UK and currently on 2.6.1.40.

Interestingly. the product/download page shows both 2.7.2.104 and 2.6.1.40, but neither seems to be marked as region-specific (IIRC the previous 2.7.* was marked US-only on this page).

Moreover, 2.7.2.104 is now being shown as available on both the iOS Orbi app and the orbilogin web page. (If I update I probably can't do it until later.)

Message 24 of 184
alokeprasad
Mentor

@alokeprasad wrote:

A manual check for updates using the web interface (Advanced -> Administration -> Firmware Update) shows no new updates available.

Lets see if NG pushes this to the devices without user intervention ...

Time to save the configuration in case its needed Smiley LOL

A manual check (steps above) now shows .104 as available with "Click here to get it" button.

I'll wait till after the work day to do this.

I'd rather update manually (satellite first) so that I know and can see whats going on. 

I DON"T want Netgear to do ANYTHING automatically to my system while I'm away.

Message 25 of 184
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7