Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - Orbi RBR50 Router Firmware Version V2.7.2.104 Released

vajim
Master

@Paul361 wrote:
I became aware of the latest firmware while browsing this forum. Neither the app nor the web interface indicated an available update. I downloaded the files via my computer and performed a manual update via the web interface -- one satellite first, then the other, then on to the router. (RBK50) In the past, I have had updates pushed out (only once); notices both on the web and app of firmware updates available; and updates that I found were released via this forum which I've manually installed (the latter seems to be the most frequent way I have updated firmware). Through all ways, I have never had the slightest issue with downloading and installing updated firmware.

good look

be sure to report back with how your system reacts

Message 26 of 184
tagteam
Virtuoso

I just updated to 2.7.2.104 via the web UI. After checking for updates in the Advanced section, I saw that little purple banner near the top of the screen indicating an update was available; clicked on that banner and that was it.

So far, so good, and the update (with the router and 2 sats) took less than 10 minutes. Fingers crossed but then I have had zero issues with any of the firmware releases.

I have an RBK53 system purchased in 2017, FWIW.

Message 27 of 184
vajim
Master

@tagteam wrote:

I just updated to 2.7.2.104 via the web UI. After checking for updates in the Advanced section, I saw that little purple banner near the top of the screen indicating an update was available; clicked on that banner and that was it.

So far, so good, and the update (with the router and 2 sats) took less than 10 minutes. Fingers crossed but then I have had zero issues with any of the firmware releases.

I have an RBK53 system purchased in 2017, FWIW.

yes, please keep an eye on it and let us know both and positve outcomes.  Hopefully it'll be a pleasant experience for you.

Message 28 of 184
tagteam
Virtuoso

@vajim wrote:yes, please keep an eye on it and let us know both and positve outcomes.  Hopefully it'll be a pleasant experience for you

I absolutely will do that.

I have to say that the web UI updates appear to have actually gotten faster (for me, at least) and much less stressful. The speed at which the entire system updates and is ready for use thereafter is much improved over just several months (updates) ago and I haven't seen any wacky stuff in the UI (for example, where the UI shows only one sat is attached for several hours or longer).

Hopefully, this status does not change.

Message 29 of 184
CrimpOn
Guru

On firmware 2.7.2.102 and "Firmware Update" actually found and installed 2.7.2.104 on both the RBR50 and RBS50.

That's the "good news".

The bad news is:

• The RBS40V satellite reports as Disconnected, even though I can log into it and a number of devices are connected through it and Attached Devices shows them connected to the RBS40V.
  • A printer and Echo Dot do not appear on the list of Attached Devices.  When 2.7.2.102 was installed, these same devices went AWOL for several hours and then finally appeared.  They both have assigned IP's, but are shown on Access Control as "allowed devices not currently connected to the network".  Not a huge problem as they both work perfectly. But an indication that Orbi's Attached Devices logic remains flaky.

Message 30 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Wondering if your RBS40v needs an FW update to be more compatible...

@CrimpOn wrote:

On firmware 2.7.2.102 and "Firmware Update" actually found and installed 2.7.2.104 on both the RBR50 and RBS50.

That's the "good news".

The bad news is:

• The RBS40V satellite reports as Disconnected, even though I can log into it and a number of devices are connected through it and Attached Devices shows them connected to the RBS40V.
  • A printer and Echo Dot do not appear on the list of Attached Devices.  When 2.7.2.102 was installed, these same devices went AWOL for several hours and then finally appeared.  They both have assigned IP's, but are shown on Access Control as "allowed devices not currently connected to the network".  Not a huge problem as they both work perfectly. But an indication that Orbi's Attached Devices logic remains flaky.

Message 31 of 184
alokeprasad
Mentor

RBS40V was last updated in Sept 2020.

Message 32 of 184
CrimpOn
Guru

I always enjoy 'strange things' that programmers do (I was one for some time).  For example, the Orbi web interface Firmware Update web page very quickly says that my router has "No new firmware available" and then shows the RBS50 and RBS40V as "Downloading firmware".  Wow. Happy Day!

Then, it changes to "No new firmware available".

Clearly, the programmer intended to say, "Looking to see if there is newer firmware" rather than "Downloading".  (There IS nothing to download, so the statement cannot be correct.)  But, once a routine has been coded, no one ever goes back to correct little things like comments displayed to the user.

It's been this way for years.

Message 33 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Loaded my RBK50 with v104 manually over v102. No issues. 

RBS20 FW v2.6.1.38 synced ok using sync buttons, however Config Sync was seen on the RBR50s web page after the RBS20 top ring turned BLUE. I could not log into the RBS20. After a power OFF of the RBS20 for 30 seconds then and back ON, the RBS20 connected and synced fully and then I was able to log into the RBS20s web page. I see NG has a v104 matching version for the RBS20 I'll check out. 

I am still seeing this when the RBS50 is ethernet connected however goes away after a minute or so:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Router-Firmware-Version-V2-7-2-102/m-p/2028357/high...

Found out that v104 is for WW (World Wide) release and not just only US Region. So it's for EVERYONE who wants it. 

@defjaf

Message 34 of 184
alokeprasad
Mentor

updated via the web interface ("Update all" button).

Everything went fine.  I have the impression that the update and reboots went comparatively quickly.  I didn't time it, though.

Message 35 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a new backup config to file. Smiley Wink

Message 36 of 184
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

I upgraded from 2.5.1.16 to 2.7.2.104 yesterday. So far no issues.

In the past I tried several versions after 2.5.1.6 and had issues with all of them within a short time after upgrade.
So I went back to 2.5.1.16 all the time. I also had "minor" issues with 2.5.1.16, mainly after power outage with the satellites not getting stable connecction to the router. So I had always to power off the whole system (1xRBR50, 2xRBS50 via WiFi, 1xRBS50 over LAN, behind a switch) and power on first the router and then one satellite after the another.

This time, I just upgraded the satellites manually, one by one. And finally the router. No need to power cycle the satellites again. They all conneccted to the router and remain stable until now. Also the clients are connected without any intervention.

So it looks like we have finally a stable firmware.

Btw, I'm using the Orbi with these "features" enabled:

- Router mode (for me there is no option to use the Orbi only in AP mode)

- Enabled "Access Control"

- Defined some "Port Forwarding"

- using "Dynamic DNS"

- using "VPN Service"

- using "LAN Address reservation" (bind MAC to a fix IP address)

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 37 of 184
vajim
Master

Please keep us posted 

I hope it works well for you 

thanks for the informative post 

Message 38 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to make a new backup configuration to file for safe keeping. 

@Ha_Ku_Na wrote:

I upgraded from 2.5.1.16 to 2.7.2.104 yesterday. So far no issues.

In the past I tried several versions after 2.5.1.6 and had issues with all of them within a short time after upgrade.
So I went back to 2.5.1.16 all the time. I also had "minor" issues with 2.5.1.16, mainly after power outage with the satellites not getting stable connecction to the router. So I had always to power off the whole system (1xRBR50, 2xRBS50 via WiFi, 1xRBS50 over LAN, behind a switch) and power on first the router and then one satellite after the another.

This time, I just upgraded the satellites manually, one by one. And finally the router. No need to power cycle the satellites again. They all conneccted to the router and remain stable until now. Also the clients are connected without any intervention.

So it looks like we have finally a stable firmware.

Btw, I'm using the Orbi with these "features" enabled:

- Router mode (for me there is no option to use the Orbi only in AP mode)

- Enabled "Access Control"

- Defined some "Port Forwarding"

- using "Dynamic DNS"

- using "VPN Service"

- using "LAN Address reservation" (bind MAC to a fix IP address)

Message 39 of 184
alokeprasad
Mentor

Sidebar question:

• Is restoring settings from a backup a reliable way to set up the system?
  • Especially when changing the firmware?
  • or after resetting the devices to factory condition?

The conventional wisdom is to reset to factory settings and re-enter the configuration.That clears out any remenants and provides a fresh start.  Is that equivalent to restoring settings from the .cfg backup file?

Message 40 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

@alokeprasad wrote:

Sidebar question:

• Is restoring settings from a backup a reliable way to set up the system? Yes. 
  • Especially when changing the firmware? It's best to set up from scratch then generate a new back up file on the new version of FW.
  • or after resetting the devices to factory condition? If you have clean known working backup, Yes. Unless you rettting to trouble shoot someting or selling the system to a new user.  

The conventional wisdom is to reset to factory settings and re-enter the configuration.That clears out any remenants and provides a fresh start.  Is that equivalent to restoring settings from the .cfg backup file? The config file has user changes and configurations that differ from the factory default configuration when reset.

Message 41 of 184
TedNemo
Tutor

Downloaded the firmware update from the phone app. Router stopped working. Despite multiple factory resets, can't reinstall it. Can't even get either the browser portal or phone app to communicate with the router – or see the Orbi Wifi net, which it needs to do to reinstall.

Talked to an Orbi tech who said, in effect, that it was my mistake for having upgraded – and that (at a price) they'd help me revert to the old firmware.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 42 of 184
vajim
Master

@TedNemo wrote:

Downloaded the firmware update from the phone app. Router stopped working. Despite multiple factory resets, can't reinstall it. Can't even get either the browser portal or phone app to communicate with the router – or see the Orbi Wifi net, which it needs to do to reinstall.

Talked to an Orbi tech who said, in effect, that it was my mistake for having upgraded – and that (at a price) they'd help me revert to the old firmware.

wow....Router stopped working.....(we'll save that for another discussion)

you may need to perform a factory reset and start over.  Next time dump the app

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

Message 43 of 184
TedNemo
Tutor

Thanks for replying. Already did (several) factory resets. But the Orbi Wifi ID (network) doesn't appear (only something called DNIWIFI), so there's no way I can make the reinstallation work via either the app or the web portal. Have ordered an ethernet cable and guess I'll try to connect to the Orbi router directly and cross my fingers.

Is there an easy way to just revert to the old firmware? I assume that even after the reset, the updated firmware will still be there, right?

Thanks again

Message 44 of 184
alokeprasad
Mentor

Use an ethernet cable and connect a PC/mac to the router directly.

Use the instructions in How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-com  to connect to the router. or connect to 192.168.1.1 in a browser on that PC connected directly to the Orbi router.

The Orbi smartphone app is nothing but trouble!

Good luck!

Message 45 of 184
TedNemo
Tutor

Thanks. Will try that tomorrow (when ethernet cable arrives) and let you know if it works.

Message 46 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

I would avoid using the Orbi app for doing any FW updates. Best method is using a wired PC or laptop thru the RBR and RBS web page. 

If byt chance the RBR is not working even with the ethernet cable connected PC, try this to recover the RBR:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Need to press the reset button for 30 seconds then release, then it send to PUT the command and upload the FW. 

Hopefully you won't have to use this process. 

@TedNemo wrote:

Thanks for replying. Already did (several) factory resets. But the Orbi Wifi ID (network) doesn't appear (only something called DNIWIFI), so there's no way I can make the reinstallation work via either the app or the web portal. Have ordered an ethernet cable and guess I'll try to connect to the Orbi router directly and cross my fingers.

Is there an easy way to just revert to the old firmware? I assume that even after the reset, the updated firmware will still be there, right?

Thanks again

Message 47 of 184
TedNemo
Tutor

Thanks. Will have a look at that link as well.

Message 48 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Just curious, what prior version of FW was on the RBR? 

@TedNemo wrote:

Thanks. Will have a look at that link as well.

Message 49 of 184

Hi everybody,

I just here to share that I received a notification in my app and my browser too.
Here are screen shots I took.

BrowserBrowser

AppApp

I don't know when I'm going to update.
All my devices are in the 2.6.1.40 and the new version is still not available to the RBS50Y 😞

Best Regards,

Luiz Almeida

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 50 of 184
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7