Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - Orbi RBR50 Router Firmware Version V2.7.2.104 Released

TedNemo
Tutor

Yes, unfortunately out of warranty.

Get no sign of life at all from the old one, even when I attempt to connect by ethernet. Really furstrating, since have had it since Dec 2016 and has worked perfectly fine – until, at the urging of the Orbi app, I did the latest firmware update. 

Again, thanks for your helpful suggestions.

Message 76 of 184
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

@Ha_Ku_Na wrote:

I upgraded from 2.5.1.16 to 2.7.2.104 yesterday. So far no issues.

In the past I tried several versions after 2.5.1.6 and had issues with all of them within a short time after upgrade.

- using "VPN Service"

- using "LAN Address reservation" (bind MAC to a fix IP address)

Just to have you updated. After nearly 5 days on 2.7.2.104 -> NO issues at all !

Looks like I do not have to look for (mesh) alternatives (non Netgear).

Message 77 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to make a new back up configuration to file for safe keeping. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Ha_Ku_Na wrote:
@Ha_Ku_Na wrote:

I upgraded from 2.5.1.16 to 2.7.2.104 yesterday. So far no issues.

In the past I tried several versions after 2.5.1.6 and had issues with all of them within a short time after upgrade.

- using "VPN Service"

- using "LAN Address reservation" (bind MAC to a fix IP address)

Just to have you updated. After nearly 5 days on 2.7.2.104 -> NO issues at all !

Looks like I do not have to look for (mesh) alternatives (non Netgear).

Message 78 of 184
Cubuff
Aspirant

Update Friday last via App. Unstable and network drops/ fails randomly. What can I do to correct?
Message 79 of 184
CrimpOn
Guru

@Cubuff wrote:
Update Friday last via App. Unstable and network drops/ fails randomly. What can I do to correct?

If doing a Factory Reset and reconfiguring does not help, the only other option is to download a previous firmware and install it manually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMw4ePACgc4 

There seem to be a lot of posts that start out: "I updated firmware using the app, and.... (something bad happened)"

Message 80 of 184
vajim
Master

@Cubuff wrote:

revert back to previous firmware....

Message 81 of 184
HTBruceM
Guide

I have wired backhaul. After attempting 2.7.2.104 update, both of my satellites appeared at the same IP address (192.168.1.250) in the Orbi router "connected devices", under connected satellites. (problem right there..) However, none of my devices would connect to any Sat via WiFi. (Everything within range was connected directly to the router). The router itself appears to work. But the satellites went to the slow white pulsing ring and stay there forever.

Attempting a direct web connection to 250 results in "refused connection". Even after turning off one of the satellites (conflicting IP address).

115749.png

So next I tried the TFTP update method on one of the Sats. Isolated on a dedicated PC ethernet connection with manual IP. TFTP would not work, no blocks were transmitted. The sat would configure itself to IP address 250. I could PING it from the PC. But I could not open it's web pages, and I could not upload the FW file via TFTP. Tried resetting the sat numerous times and no dice.

So both satellites are "stuck" with the slow pulsing white ring. I ran a WiFi scan utility on my phone, and I don't even see any WiFi at all coming from the satellite. So whatever the FW is doing, it hasn't gotten to the point where it enables WiFi yet.

Any suggestions for the next step, now that Netgear has broken my network?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 82 of 184
CrimpOn
Guru

@HTBruceM wrote:

So next I tried the TFTP update method on one of the Sats. Isolated on a dedicated PC ethernet connection with manual IP. TFTP would not work, no blocks were transmitted. The sat would configure itself to IP address 250. I could PING it from the PC. But I could not open it's web pages, and I could not upload the FW file via TFTP. Tried resetting the sat numerous times and no dice.

My experience with TFTP has been erratic. There seems to be a brief period after the device is powered on when it will respond to TFTP and when I missed that time slot, TFTP would not work.  I would try more times.

Message 83 of 184
alokeprasad
Mentor

Work with 1 sat at a time (power off the other one).

Move the sat close (20 ft) to the router. Don't use wired backhaul, for now.

Factory reset the sat. Press the sync button on the base and sateliite to add it like a new device.

Does it get added to the network?

Message 84 of 184
HTBruceM
Guide

Sorry I updated my post with more info. The sat does not emit any WiFi; it's radios are not enabled. Trying to add it without the ethernet backhaul is pointless. Regardless, I have tried. 

The instructions also say that if/when you press the SYNC button, the ring should go to some other color, but mine just stays slow pulsing white forever, no change. 

Message 85 of 184
HTBruceM
Guide

"TFTP active window"... Yeah that makes some sense to me. I will continue to work in this solution.

The sats never get far enough to even enable the WiFi radios, and they won't update (or finish updating/booting) on the wired backhaul connection either.

TFTP seems to be my only path to unbrick these sats at this point.

Message 86 of 184
alokeprasad
Mentor

This is serious stuff: if the firmware update process leaves devices in "bricked" state. 

How did you update the firmware? App? web interface?

Advice: create a new thread with descriptive subject.  Better than adding to a long thread which is marked "solved"

Message 87 of 184
vajim
Master

@alokeprasad wrote:

This is serious stuff: if the firmware update process leaves devices in "bricked" state. 

How did you update the firmware? App? web interface?

Advice: create a new thread with descriptive subject.  Better than adding to a long thread which is marked "solved"

The last time I did a firmware update I did it from the PC login - web interface

Message 88 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Need to press the reset button for 30 seconds then release, then it send to PUT the command and upload the FW. 

try nmrpflash?
Try that when tftp doesn't work

@HTBruceM wrote:

"TFTP active window"... Yeah that makes some sense to me. I will continue to work in this solution.

The sats never get far enough to even enable the WiFi radios, and they won't update (or finish updating/booting) on the wired backhaul connection either.

TFTP seems to be my only path to unbrick these sats at this point.

Message 89 of 184
HTBruceM
Guide

Thanks for that hint. 

My first mistake was not doing the hard factory reset ahead of the TFTP load. The instructions given were somewhat generic and not specific to the Orbi. The instructions just said to power off/on and then hit the PUT button on the TFTP app when the power LED blinks orage. Well that never happens on the Orbi. It blinks RED.

My 2nd mistake was not waiting for the power LED to start blinking red while pushing the reset with the paper clip. Unless it blinks red, it is not going thru the proper factory reset sequence.

My 3rd mistake was not using 192.168.1.1.  Since this sat kept coming up to 250, I assumed that was the address they used for the TFTP after reset. Wrong. It is 192.168.1.1.  I had been testing/pinging address 250 because the sat was coming up to that address in its "hung up" state; assuming it would also do that upon the factory reset. 

Sadly after it did appear to load up the 2.7.2.104 FW, it came back to the same place. Forever pulsing the white LED ring.  

My next step is to re-load the previous FW into the SAT using the TFTP process again. Maybe it's not bricked after all.

Message 90 of 184
vajim
Master

@HTBruceM wrote:

My next step is to re-load the previous FW into the SAT using the TFTP process again. Maybe it's not bricked after all.

Previous version may be a great idea

perhaps if you do, let us know how it all worked out

thanks. 

Message 91 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

So you were not able to connect to 192.168.1.1 and the RBRs web page after the TFTP send was completed? 

@HTBruceM wrote:

Thanks for that hint. 

My first mistake was not doing the hard factory reset ahead of the TFTP load. The instructions given were somewhat generic and not specific to the Orbi. The instructions just said to power off/on and then hit the PUT button on the TFTP app when the power LED blinks orage. Well that never happens on the Orbi. It blinks RED.

My 2nd mistake was not waiting for the power LED to start blinking red while pushing the reset with the paper clip. Unless it blinks red, it is not going thru the proper factory reset sequence.

My 3rd mistake was not using 192.168.1.1.  Since this sat kept coming up to 250, I assumed that was the address they used for the TFTP after reset. Wrong. It is 192.168.1.1.  I had been testing/pinging address 250 because the sat was coming up to that address in its "hung up" state; assuming it would also do that upon the factory reset. 

Sadly after it did appear to load up the 2.7.2.104 FW, it came back to the same place. Forever pulsing the white LED ring.  

Message 92 of 184
HTBruceM
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

So you were not able to connect to 192.168.1.1 and the RBRs web page after the TFTP send was completed? 

While attempting to get the prior FW loaded onto SAT1 via TFTP (unsuccessfully), I noticed at SAT1 had gone to SOLID BLUE ring LED at some point. WTH? So NOW it decides to complete booting. Instead of continuing to try and get the prior FW loaded via TFTP, I just hit the SYNC button on it and the router and suddenly now it comes up.

So I never did get that sat to load the prior FW. But somehow through all this messing around with TFTP (probably because I finally did a valid factory reset), the damn thing is working again.

I just now moved SAT2 into my work area next to the router and it actually came up after a factory reset. So both Sats are on 2.7.2.104 firmware.

I'm afraid to put them back on wired backhaul... I will try at some point.

What a finicky, temperamental, fussy, obstinate,   <I could keep going>    product this is.

Message 93 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, So with the RBS, can you get to it's web page using the assigned IP address found on the RBR? 

RBS IP address after a reset and it's not synced to any RBR, will be 192.168.1.250 for future reference. 

Message 94 of 184
HTBruceM
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ok, So with the RBS, can you get to it's web page using the assigned IP address found on the RBR? 

Yep I can get to the management pages of both satellites now. Everything appears "nominal" at this point. I have not yet wired up the ethernet backhaul but I will get around to that another time, when the wife is not home. 

RBS IP address after a reset and it's not synced to any RBR, will be 192.168.1.250 for future reference. 

That is good to know. I wish they would document the "magic" process that is used to switchover from wireless to wired backhaul. Some sort of trickery going on. I know it used to play hell with some intervening switches, creating a temporary "loop" I think. It looks to me like the same MAC address is present in both the WIRED and WIRELESS backhaul. 

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that all I needed in the first place was a valid factory reset on the Sats. I am still unsure of the true sequence for factory reset. I seemed to get different behavior depending on WHEN I pressed the the reset button, and for how long.

I the old days of PCs, we had a good old port 80 card... We could plug that in and capture the BIOS progress codes to at least let you know WHERE it was headed before it got hung up. I suppose the equivalent here is the ring LED, although the granularity of 4 colers and 3 different patterns is pretty rough. 

In summary, the 2.7.2.104 FW DID NOT brick the satellites. However it did put them into an indeterminate state that unlinked them from the router and (seemingly) required a hard reset to recover from.

Message 95 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. 

A power OFF of the RBS should have been all that was needed after v104 was applied, however a reset could have been needed. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration? There are some known problems with some LAN switches. 
https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Also be aware of this as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Router-Firmware-Version-V2-7-2-102/m-p/2028357/high...

@HTBruceM wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Yep I can get to the management pages of both satellites now. Everything appears "nominal" at this point. I have not yet wired up the ethernet backhaul but I will get around to that another time, when the wife is not home. 

That is good to know. I wish they would document the "magic" process that is used to switchover from wireless to wired backhaul. Some sort of trickery going on. I know it used to play hell with some intervening switches, creating a temporary "loop" I think. It looks to me like the same MAC address is present in both the WIRED and WIRELESS backhaul. 

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that all I needed in the first place was a valid factory reset on the Sats. I am still unsure of the true sequence for factory reset. I seemed to get different behavior depending on WHEN I pressed the the reset button, and for how long.

I the old days of PCs, we had a good old port 80 card... We could plug that in and capture the BIOS progress codes to at least let you know WHERE it was headed before it got hung up. I suppose the equivalent here is the ring LED, although the granularity of 4 colers and 3 different patterns is pretty rough. 

In summary, the 2.7.2.104 FW DID NOT brick the satellites. However it did put them into an indeterminate state that unlinked them from the router and (seemingly) required a hard reset to recover from.

Message 96 of 184
vajim
Master

Message 97 of 184
vajim
Master

@HTBruceM wrote:

Thanks 

nice write up

What's more disturbing is we continue to see these types of firmware made available and users on this forum that get behind them while making it appear that a update is what they need. Many have posted that they have updated with no problems so you should be fine.  

im glad your orbi may have survived 

thanks again for the informative post.  

Message 98 of 184
HTBruceM
Guide

I don't have a switch between the RBR and the RBS's. I was afraid to do so based on all the early issues.

RBR50 LAN ports 2 and 3 are wired directly to each RBS50.

RBR50 LAN port 1 is wired to a TP-LInk TL-SG1024. All my wired devices connect to this switch.

Message 99 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

AH ok, good to know. Looking at your switch it seems to be a non managed and non green ethernet which is good. These two items have been know to cause problems if RBS are wired to a switch in between the RBR and RBS. 

If the RBS are directly connected then you'll be fine. 

@HTBruceM wrote:

I don't have a switch between the RBR and the RBS's. I was afraid to do so based on all the early issues.

RBR50 LAN ports 2 and 3 are wired directly to each RBS50.

RBR50 LAN port 1 is wired to a TP-LInk TL-SG1024. All my wired devices connect to this switch.

Message 100 of 184
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7