Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - Orbi RBR50 Router Firmware Version V2.7.2.104 Released

arunprasanth
Tutor

I bought the router and it came with FW version v.2.0.0.74. The router / APP is not detecting any updates as available in web interface. Its been just a day with the mesh setup. So far its ok. Is there anything I am missing out without the latest updates. I read somewhere in the forum that we have to go through sequentially for the updates which seems to be a lot and time consuming. If I try updating directly to the latest version, will it fail due to some file size limit or so?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 101 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

You should be able use v2.2.1.212 on the RBS first then on the RBR. I would then try v2.3.5.30 on the RBS then RBR lastly.

Then you should be able to go to v104 on the RBS first then on the RBR lastly.

You'll need to use a wired PC or laptop and web browser. IE11, Edge or Firefox.

Download the FW files here before starting:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx#download

You can connect to the RBSs web page and send the FW files directly to the RBS. 

@arunprasanth wrote:

I bought the router and it came with FW version v.2.0.0.74. The router / APP is not detecting any updates as available in web interface. Its been just a day with the mesh setup. So far its ok. Is there anything I am missing out without the latest updates. I read somewhere in the forum that we have to go through sequentially for the updates which seems to be a lot and time consuming. If I try updating directly to the latest version, will it fail due to some file size limit or so?

Message 102 of 184
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You should be able use v2.2.1.212 on the RBS first then on the RBR. I would then try v2.3.5.30 on the RBS then RBR lastly.

Then you should be able to go to v104 on the RBS first then on the RBR lastly.

You'll need to use a wired PC or laptop and web browser. IE11, Edge or Firefox.

Download the FW files here before starting:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx#download

You can connect to the RBSs web page and send the FW files directly to the RBS. 

@arunprasanth wrote:

Posts like this advising people to upgrade firmware should be viewed with caution.  Lots of firmware problems reported here every day 

Message 103 of 184
TedNemo
Tutor

Hi All:

Since my RBR50 router has been definitively bricked by the firmware update, I've been reduced to buying a replacement, which has arrived. I'm going to install it later and, I hope. But if presented with the option to update firmware, can you tell me what the latest safe firmware version is. I'm obviously not going to repeat the experiment and attempt the latest firmware.

Thanks very much 

Message 104 of 184
vajim
Master

@TedNemo wrote:

Hi All:

Since my RBR50 router has been definitively bricked by the firmware update, I've been reduced to buying a replacement, which has arrived. I'm going to install it later and, I hope. But if presented with the option to update firmware, can you tell me what the latest safe firmware version is. I'm obviously not going to repeat the experiment and attempt the latest firmware.

Thanks very much 

I'm sorry to hear of your firmware problems.

Your question here will most likely generate different responses. I can only offer to you what has worked for me. I've had my Orbi for several years. When I first installed it I let the Netgear servers send out the firmware as it did and provided network stability. Over time there have been several updates 'available' mostly through a manual process. I decided to 'OPT OUT' and left my system alone. For me this appears to work and I felt no need to mess with what was working fine. ( BTW...I've been doing this for a long time, dating back to Windows 3.0)............. No problems with crashes, security highjacks, bricking of the Orbi or any of that. Please keep in mind IF there is a MAJOR security firmware available, I was told Netgear still pushes these to all with NO action required by the user.

On the other side, there are others here who operate in the opposite, that is they go after every update as soon as it is released and when it shows either on the app (ouch) or the PC login. For the most part, these are the folks that shortly after doing such they end up back in here seeking help to unscrew a firmware foul up. There is also a group here that will advocate that since the firmware worked for them then you should try it too. Sound familiar? Not to mention a small number of folks who thrust personal attacks on opposing views.

At the end of the day the choice is yours.  

Message 105 of 184
Web-raider
Initiate

Thanks everyone for your great feedback, in as much as I love Netgear this issue with upgrading there devices is a common one. Sadly they really don't have any solid competition to light a fire under them to get it right the first time.

I run a small successful busines from my home that relies 99% on my internet connectivity my orbi is still on V2.5.1.16 its super stable and until I can confirm that this new firmware is not going to put me out of business, I'll stay on V2.5.1.16 

Message 106 of 184
TedNemo
Tutor

Thanks!

That sounds eminently sensible (and what I'd essentially been doing until the Orbi App in effect told me to update the firmware... a situation made even more frustrating when the Netgear Orbi "help" people told me in effect that the problem was my fault because I updated!

I think I'll avoid updates... and install view the web portal rather than on the Orbi app. Will hope for the best – especially that my existing satellites work with the new RBR50.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Message 107 of 184

Hi @TedNemo ,

Just to share that all my Orbis are running the V2.6.1.40 (1 RBR50 + 3 RBS50 + 1 RBS50Y).
I don't have any problems.
I'm just waiting for the RBS50Y to update to the V2.7.2.104, as it still in the V2.6.1.40
You can see some details here.

Best Regards,

Luiz Almeida

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 108 of 184
alokeprasad
Mentor

RBS50Y has it's own update and support timeline.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBS50Y 

It seems to have been updated on their support page just today Feb 9, 2021

RBS50Y Firmware Version 2.6.2.104 (Orbi Mode) 

It takes a few days/weeks before the updae shows up via the Orbi's web-interface.

Message 109 of 184
HTBruceM
Guide

Just to wrap up my experience here...

I finally connected the ethernet backhaul to the satellites and after several minutes, everything looks OK again. All units are up on the 2.7.2.104 firmware.

Thanks to all for the helpful hints.

Message 110 of 184
vajim
Master

@HTBruceM wrote:

Just to wrap up my experience here...

I finally connected the ethernet backhaul to the satellites and after several minutes, everything looks OK again. All units are up on the 2.7.2.104 firmware.

Thanks to all for the helpful hints.

thanks

keep an eye on it and let us know in a few days

Message 111 of 184
lmelling
Guide

I had similar, Via browser, one RBS50 reported attached one did not, although the Android app reported both attached. Rebooted router, now both report attached.

Message 112 of 184
arunprasanth
Tutor

Thnx, All I did was update the RBS to v2.2.1.212, and then the RBR to  v2.2.1.212. Then both automatically went upto 2.5.1.16 in the same order without asking my permission. Now there's a prompt that latest FW is available for update.

Message 113 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

The prompt is just letting you know FW is available, it's up to you to update to it or not for this version. IF you do, just select the Update ALL. After the FW is applied, Power OFF the RBS/RBR after updating for 30 seconds then back on. 

@arunprasanth wrote:

Thnx, All I did was update the RBS to v2.2.1.212, and then the RBR to  v2.2.1.212. Then both automatically went upto 2.5.1.16 in the same order without asking my permission. Now there's a prompt that latest FW is available for update.

Message 114 of 184
ilmurphy
Aspirant

Any chance this will help with the multiple Ike’s a day internet loss and dos attacks?
Message 115 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? 

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings
Not seen on Orbi AX.

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?

@ilmurphy wrote:
Any chance this will help with the multiple Ike’s a day internet loss and dos attacks?

Message 116 of 184
vajim
Master

@arunprasanth wrote:

you either try it yourself or stand back and see what others report

Message 117 of 184
arunprasanth
Tutor

Yes, thats the plan. I will wait it out. I dont want to mess things up.

Message 118 of 184
vajim
Master

@arunprasanth wrote:

Yes, thats the plan. I will wait it out. I dont want to mess things up.

Excellent idea 

Message 119 of 184
Riehmc
Aspirant

Just be aware that if you have a RBR50 and upgrade to 2.7.2.104 then you will lose the parental control feature for Circle.

I rolled back to 2.6.1.40 in order to enable the circle feature and setup the phone app.  But then updating back to 2.7.2.104 it disappears again and the phone won't be able to find the circle.  I had to rollback again to 2.6.1.40 and enable the feature yet again to restore the circle functionality.  Looks like the newest firmware forgot to include it?

Message 120 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

I think you have to apply v102 first:

https://kb.netgear.com/000062852/How-do-I-upgrade-from-Circle-to-NETGEAR-Smart-Parental-Controls

Then v104.

How I was able to maintain PC throught out each version.

Message 121 of 184
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I think you have to apply v102 first:

https://kb.netgear.com/000062852/How-do-I-upgrade-from-Circle-to-NETGEAR-Smart-Parental-Controls

Then v104.

How I was able to maintain PC throught out each version.

Looks like the newest firmware forgot to include it?

that would be the truth 

Message 122 of 184
Riehmc
Aspirant

So I wasted another hour and went back to version 102 and it still didn’t work so then I took it to 104 and still doesnt work. It looks like you’re telling me to use 104 but use Netgear’s parental controls instead of the circle which hopefully has gotten better because in the past their controls were a waste of time and effort
Message 123 of 184
Aggie88
Apprentice

I upgraded directly from 2.5.2.4 to 2.7.2.104 via the web interface three days ago and I still have Circle and all its functionality.

Message 124 of 184
DeanB1452
Apprentice

I don’t know how, but I’m on 104 and still have and continue to use Circle 1st Gen, without any issues. I’ve been through all the progressive updates, many reboots and some factory resets. Never subscribed to Circle or Netgear’s Parental Control either. I’m able to use the app and it switches over to Circle 1st gen app where I can control my kids’ devices.
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 125 of 184
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7