Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - Orbi RBR50 Router Firmware Version V2.7.2.104 Released

vajim
Master

@BoilerPlate wrote:

Vajim's lack of knowledge and experience, your mileage may vary. >vajim. User beware. Smiley Frustrated

@ktula wrote:

Is the sole purpose of this Netgear Community for someone llike you to whine about users asking legitimate questions?

I missed the whine part 

But I got a better idea.....go ahead and play the 1000 questions with my buddy and moderator FURRYe38 (that where the 1000 questions came from) and I can almost guarantee you'll end up rolling your firmware back.  But it's your time, your network go ahead and play the game.

Message 151 of 184
dwmac
Aspirant

Hello, I had the same issues after the "auto-update" to the latest firmware, constant drops.  I did the manual rollback to V2.6.1.40 and everything is stable again.  

Worth noting...I had to telnet into both the router and the satellite and disable the auto check and and auto upgrade to prevent it from upgrading again right away.  Frustrating but all is well now.  

The router and satellite had different firmware files so make sure you download both and rollback the satellite first.

Disable update in satellite then router

Rollback satellite

Rollback router

Link to post for directions on telenet and disabling update features: link 

Message 152 of 184
vajim
Master

@dwmac wrote:

Hello, I had the same issues after the "auto-update" to the latest firmware, constant drops.  I did the manual rollback to V2.6.1.40 and everything is stable again.  

Worth noting...I had to telnet into both the router and the satellite and disable the auto check and and auto upgrade to prevent it from upgrading again right away.  Frustrating but all is well now.  

The router and satellite had different firmware files so make sure you download both and rollback the satellite first.

Disable update in satellite then router

Rollback satellite

Rollback router

Link to post for directions on telenet and disabling update features: link 

Can you provide a bit more info on what you mean when you say ""auto-update"?

Thanks

Message 153 of 184
dwmac
Aspirant

Auto-update...as in automaticallyl applying the firmware update.  I did not apply this update, my router did it automatically.  Then after the rollback the first time, it automaically applied it again.  So I had to disable it by performing the tasks from the attached link in my earlier post.  

Message 154 of 184
vajim
Master

@dwmac wrote:

Auto-update...as in automaticallyl applying the firmware update.  I did not apply this update, my router did it automatically.  Then after the rollback the first time, it automaically applied it again.  So I had to disable it by performing the tasks from the attached link in my earlier post.  

yeah....that sounds like the area of confusion a lot of people have about auto-update.  Auto-update ususally means you did nothing.  Netgear pushed the update to your network.  This could have happened while you were a sleep.  Maybe that's what happened in your case??

Using the app or pc login and seeing an available update there requires action on your part.  You must click to actually execute the update.  Different from a real auto-update.

But its all good.  I'm just glad you got your system working again.  Thanks

Message 155 of 184
smartt
Aspirant

It's never a good idea to pubicly post specific security vulnerabilities.  

Message 156 of 184
vajim
Master

@smartt wrote:

It's never a good idea to pubicly post specific security vulnerabilities.  

What?

If you're talking about release notes, they never go specific, but what you may see is that the vulnerability was addressed.  No details given.  For the record, it probably wouldn't matter anyway, for those that thrive on security vulnerabilities are probably already moved on to the next weakness.

Thanks

Message 157 of 184
whenasked
Aspirant

I have a RBR50, RBS50 on Router Firmware Version V2.7.2.104.

I also have RBS40V on  Firmware Version: V2.6.2.4_1.0.1.

When devices connect to 2.4Ghz on RBS40V, devices stop working. When I switch off RBS40V, and when those devices connect to router or to the other satellite, those 2.4Ghz start working again.

Thanks

Model: RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker
Message 158 of 184
vajim
Master

@whenasked wrote:

When devices connect to 2.4Ghz on RBS40V, devices stop working. When I switch off RBS40V, and when those devices connect to router or to the other satellite, those 2.4Ghz start working again.

Thanks

was everything working after to V2.7.2.104?

Message 159 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

I would post about this over in the Orbi with Voice for the RBS40v:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Voice-WiFi-Meets-HiFI/bd-p/en-home-orbi-voice

Thank you. 

@whenasked wrote:

Thanks

Message 160 of 184
whenasked
Aspirant

yes

Message 161 of 184
vajim
Master

@whenasked wrote:

yes

you may want to roll your firmware back.....go to downloads and select an earlier version

Message 162 of 184
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I would post about this over in the Orbi with Voice for the RBS40v:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Voice-WiFi-Meets-HiFI/bd-p/en-home-orbi-voice

The problem is V2.7.2.104.

Message 163 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Mine works fine on v104. Thanks. 

Message 164 of 184
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Mine works fine on v104. Thanks. 

you've keep saying that and everyday more and more folks come in here complaining about V104

Message 165 of 184
Tmpoolejr
Aspirant

I want to thanks the net gear team for releasing a dump firmware, especially during work from home season. Clearly DNS, time, complex fixes and crickets from the community leaders.
Thanks for screwing potentially millions of people from having a properly connected home.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 166 of 184
smartt
Aspirant

So, you're basically saying you're smart enough to know what firmware is but not smart enough to not auto-update and let other people test it?  Sounds about right.

Message 167 of 184
dwmac
Aspirant

I couldn’t care less what other people do or test. The point of the community is to discuss experiences, issues, workarounds, and solutions. This was my experience and workaround. If it helps someone else then fine. Did you have anything to offer or just come here to run your mouth?
Message 168 of 184
jim_k943
Initiate

A note of caution:

My system does automatic updates and updated itself and my single satellite to this version. About the same time (can't prove it's the cause), our Galaxy smart phones began loosing their Internet connection. They were till connected to the Orbi, but not the Internet. The Orbi administration app on my phone showed the Orbi as being Offline. Rebooting the Orbi seemed to bring it back online, and bring back Internet to the phones.

Investigating the issue on my desktop, I found that even though the phones were showing the Orbi offline, it in fact was not. It appeared that the Orbi was online (logged into the admin site) and our Pc's, TV's and other devices were still connected to the Internet.

I've read that this issue is recognized by NetGear and they are working on a fix, but I can't find my way back to that link.

I would appreciate any additional feedback because I can't keep rebooting the Orbi several times every day, just to get my phones Internet access

Message 169 of 184
vajim
Master

@jim_k943 wrote:

A note of caution:

My system does automatic updates and updated itself and my single satellite to this version. About the same time (can't prove it's the cause), our Galaxy smart phones began loosing their Internet connection. They were till connected to the Orbi, but not the Internet. The Orbi administration app on my phone showed the Orbi as being Offline. Rebooting the Orbi seemed to bring it back online, and bring back Internet to the phones.

Investigating the issue on my desktop, I found that even though the phones were showing the Orbi offline, it in fact was not. It appeared that the Orbi was online (logged into the admin site) and our Pc's, TV's and other devices were still connected to the Internet.

I've read that this issue is recognized by NetGear and they are working on a fix, but I can't find my way back to that link.

I would appreciate any additional feedback because I can't keep rebooting the Orbi several times every day, just to get my phones Internet access

Can you walk us through how your system did the auto update?

Message 170 of 184
dwmac
Aspirant

This is exactly the behavior I was seeing from RBR50 and RBS50.  However, even after I did the firmware rollback to the previous firmware version I started experiencing the same issues again.  It was fine for a about a week or 2 and then I started seeing the same symptoms that you described all over again.  Orbi reported link to internet was down but all wired devices were working fine and had Internet access.  All wireless devices were connected to wifi but no Internet access.

What I finally did this past week was to go ahead and upgrade to the latest firmware again and then I did a facorty reset on the router and satellite and started from scratch with a new install/setup.  After the reset, most of the settings were reverted back to default like my IP addresses but not everything, including the firmware, it is still the latest.  All of my devices were also still listed in the attached devices by the names I had given them before the reset.  So apparently the factroy reset did not completely wipe everything out as one would think it would ( I did it multiple times per Netgear instructions ).

Anyway, it has been 5 days now and zero issues.  Hopefully, it doesn't start happening again.

Message 171 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

I preref to use the ERASE function on the RBR to to a factory reset. Factory resets will not change the FW version. Only user settings are cleared. 

@dwmac wrote:

This is exactly the behavior I was seeing from RBR50 and RBS50.  However, even after I did the firmware rollback to the previous firmware version I started experiencing the same issues again.  It was fine for a about a week or 2 and then I started seeing the same symptoms that you described all over again.  Orbi reported link to internet was down but all wired devices were working fine and had Internet access.  All wireless devices were connected to wifi but no Internet access.

What I finally did this past week was to go ahead and upgrade to the latest firmware again and then I did a facorty reset on the router and satellite and started from scratch with a new install/setup.  After the reset, most of the settings were reverted back to default like my IP addresses but not everything, including the firmware, it is still the latest.  All of my devices were also still listed in the attached devices by the names I had given them before the reset.  So apparently the factroy reset did not completely wipe everything out as one would think it would ( I did it multiple times per Netgear instructions ).

Anyway, it has been 5 days now and zero issues.  Hopefully, it doesn't start happening again.

Message 172 of 184
lmelling
Guide

omeone suggested turning off automatticaly adjust for daylight savings time, seems for work, no reboots for 2 days
See advanced/administration/NTP Settings   I also set NTP Server to time.nist.gov,  not sure that helped or not.

Good luck, 
Hey Netgear,  how about releasing a patch or updateing the release notes? Your customers are losing faith!

Message 173 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Just curiuos, do you use Traffic Meter? 

@lmelling wrote:

omeone suggested turning off automatticaly adjust for daylight savings time, seems for work, no reboots for 2 days
See advanced/administration/NTP Settings   I also set NTP Server to time.nist.gov,  not sure that helped or not.

Good luck, 
Hey Netgear,  how about releasing a patch or updateing the release notes? Your customers are losing faith!

Message 174 of 184
lmelling
Guide

It may hae been on previously, not sure, but it is off at this time.

Message 175 of 184
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7