Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Orbi RBR53 - a few issues

TommyWeir
Aspirant

New Orbi RBR53 - a few issues

Hi all

I set up a new Orbi router plus two satellites off my modem.  WiFi turned off on modem and getting steady speeds on the Orbi network. 

Two issues have emerged.  

1.  I can't download apps on my iOS devices.  The app is selected in the App Store, the icon lands, progress stalls at start and a message "Unable to download App. "App name" could not be downloaded at this time" arrives.  This happens with new and already owned apps. 

2. Safari has an issue with http: as opposed to https: it won't load those webpages, presenting a login which is useless, fill in the details and it simply reappears. Pop the missing 's' and it loads perfectly however.   But typing in nytimes.com will not load for example, it defaults to the non-secure page and won't load.    Not seeing this issue on Chrome but seeing it in both Mac and iOS.  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: New Orbi RBR53 - a few issues

Hi @TommyWeir, welcome to the community. Another user in the community describes a similar scenario and was able to get around it by the following steps.

1. Go to Safari on Apple iPad (probably works on Android with other browsers too)

2. Type in "orbilogin.net" (not including inverted commas)

3. When prompted type in username and password which should be "admin" and whatever your password is printed on the plastic slip cover of your router with the QR code, unless of course you've created a new one on initial setup.

4. Having loaded you into orbilogin.net you should then minimise Safari and attempt downloads, updates and access to previously inaccessible trusted sites.

Keep us posted.

Dexter

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
TommyWeir
Aspirant

Things I've tried...

I've reset the modem.

ive deleted safari caches and data on all iOS devices and on the Mac.

ive put in the OpenDNS settings and renewed lease.  
ive toggled Airplane mode off and on.

any suggestions welcome, I saw similar issues presented earlier, marked solved, but without solutions noted.  

@TommyWeir wrote:

Hi all

I set up a new Orbi router plus two satellites off my modem.  WiFi turned off on modem and getting steady speeds on the Orbi network. 

Two issues have emerged.  

1.  I can't download apps on my iOS devices.  The app is selected in the App Store, the icon lands, progress stalls at start and a message "Unable to download App. "App name" could not be downloaded at this time" arrives.  This happens with new and already owned apps. 

2. Safari has an issue with http: as opposed to https: it won't load those webpages, presenting a login which is useless, fill in the details and it simply reappears. Pop the missing 's' and it loads perfectly however.   But typing in nytimes.com will not load for example, it defaults to the non-secure page and won't load.    Not seeing this issue on Chrome but seeing it in both Mac and iOS.  

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

If the modem WiFi has been turned off, then the "modem" is actually a "modem/router" combination.

If the Orbi is also set up as a router (which is the default out of the box), then this is what is called a "double NAT" situation and can cause unpleasant side-effects.

Has the Orbi been "customized" so far?  i.e. IP addressed "assigned" to devices?  Activated Disney Circle?

If not, you can try changing the Orbi to Access Point mode.  Using the web interface (I have not found a way to do this with the Orbi "app"), navigate to the Advanced Tab->Advanced Setup->Router/AP mode.

The other solution is to place the modem into "modem only" mode, sometimes called "passthrough" or "bridge" mode.

Can you try one of these and report what happens?

Message 3 of 5
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @TommyWeir, welcome to the community. Another user in the community describes a similar scenario and was able to get around it by the following steps.

1. Go to Safari on Apple iPad (probably works on Android with other browsers too)

2. Type in "orbilogin.net" (not including inverted commas)

3. When prompted type in username and password which should be "admin" and whatever your password is printed on the plastic slip cover of your router with the QR code, unless of course you've created a new one on initial setup.

4. Having loaded you into orbilogin.net you should then minimise Safari and attempt downloads, updates and access to previously inaccessible trusted sites.

Keep us posted.

Dexter

Message 4 of 5
TommyWeir
Aspirant

Folks, many thanks for the swift and helpful reply.  All sorted, the AP mode did the trick.  

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7