Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Orbi RBS50 and RBS40v firmware won't install properly

wyncdavies
Tutor

New Orbi RBS50 and RBS40v firmware won't install properly

There are new updates for both the RBS50 and RBS40v available but I can't get either of them to update either automatically or manually.  When I attempt to update them manually I get two different error messages.  On the RBS50 I get an error saying I have the wrong firmware and on the RBS40v I get an error that says the image file should be .img but what gets downloaded is .chk.

https://kb.netgear.com/000062753/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-7-2-102-for-US-Region-Only

https://kb.netgear.com/000062766/RBS40V-Firmware-Version-2-6-2-4-Orbi-Mode-for-Orbi

I tried doing this on both a Mac and a Windows 10 machine.  Same issues on both.  Any ideas? 

Model: RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
wyncdavies
Tutor

Re: New Orbi RBS50 and RBS40v firmware won't install properly

I was able to log in to each of the satellites using the IP address and do the updates manually from there.  I didn't even know you could log in to each one individually.  Thanks for pointing that out.  Everything is supposedly up-to-date now...

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

you're doing it wrong. The spot where you've put the file is for the primary router. not for the rbs40v or rbs. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

Message 2 of 6
wyncdavies
Tutor

The main router is updated but two of my four units are not updated.  How do I get those updated?  I've tried restarting the two satellites that have not updated, that didn't help. I have included a screenshot.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

The RBS50's are getting it from the update server. It doesn't look like its been loaded to the server for manual update. Might have to wait on that one for the auto-update. 

the RBS40V looks likes there's on on the manual server. You can always log into it via its ip address and manually update the route. 

I've done that before. 

Message 4 of 6
wyncdavies
Tutor

I was able to log in to each of the satellites using the IP address and do the updates manually from there.  I didn't even know you could log in to each one individually.  Thanks for pointing that out.  Everything is supposedly up-to-date now...

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Glad you were able to take care of it!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements