Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Orbi User checking in with a few amateur questions

fakegeordie
Aspirant

New Orbi User checking in with a few amateur questions

Just about to set up my new Orbi system, very excited, but before I make a mad dash and rush something I shouldn't, I have a specific question I'd love some guidance on.

I have quite a lot of home automation kit which was a reason for getting this, but the low # of ethernet ports is a bummer (I did know before I bought).

In my mind, I was thinking that if I set this up as a WAP, I could then make use of some of the ISP provided router/modem ethernet ports for parts of my home automation kit. Does it need to be a WAP for this to work, or is what I'm thinking impossible? 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

If you run Orbi in Access Point mode then you can use your existing modem/router's Ethernet ports.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

If you run Orbi in Access Point mode then you can use your existing modem/router's Ethernet ports.

Message 2 of 4
fakegeordie
Aspirant

really? cool, now the horrendous task of reconfiguring everything to connect to Orbi.

1 other question, how do you test the speed of your Satellite?

Message 3 of 4
st_shaw
Master

I user iperf3. You can test between wired and wireless clients, connected to various points, to assess the speed of the router, the satellites, and the backhaul.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7