Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Orbi customer and gigabit

nobrainer
Tutor

New Orbi customer and gigabit

I recently (Tuesday, it's now Thursday) purchased an Orbi RBK50 to replace my Asus RT-ac87R/U router to provide better coverage in my townhome and becasue the asus router seemed to be struggling with the WOW Gigtopia service.  

I've got it all setup, and using the 2.1.3.4 firmware, have the satelite on ethernet (showing wired connection for it), but my internal wireless speeds from my 2016 MacBook Pro w/ touchID don't seem to have gotten better, if anyhting, its a bit slower than my asus router (AC2400 speed).  Further my speedtests through Orbi's GUI are about half  (435mbits) of what I get going through chome to speedtest.net (780ish mbits), and slower than what I was getting when connected to the Asus router (840ish mbits).  

Is this normal?  From all the rave reviews, I guess I expected... better?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
Sevo123
Apprentice

Its definitely a firmware issue! I had 2.0.1.7 and speeds were super fast i had 400 down 20up on twc and my wifi & wired speeds were 400-480 down and 25 up and now after getting this update i get only 200-250 down and 25 up
Message 2 of 10
sh2sg
Apprentice

I think it is firmware issue, try to downgrade to 2.0.1.4.

my post (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Does-2-1-3-4-restrict-Satellite-performance/td-p/1545016/jump-...), hope it helps you.

Message 3 of 10
nobrainer
Tutor

I downgraded the router/satellite to the next lower version (2.0.1.4) and reset to factory defaults.  I think internet speeds improved by my wired backhaul is fubar.  as soon as I plugged in the cable I loose internet connection and it doesn't come back (waited about 20min); I can't get to the web gui (windows says no internet service).  I rebooted the router and satellites to try and correct the issue.  As soon as I unplug the satellite everything starts to work again, so I left the cable unplugged.

The probelm is that the place I have the remote satellite at is apparently too far away to get a reliable signal and I have tons of dead spots now on the main level and when I move the satellite closer, then I get deadspots in the upstairs level (which is where I was trying to solve for in the firs place).

Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite? I would try 40-50 feet. Mines at 40 ft in a 5000sq ft home.

Whats the Sqft if your home?

Any network switches being used between the router and satellite?

I don't think 2.0.1.4 has full support for ethernet backhaul if I rememeber. Needed 2.1 for it.

Did you factory reset after updating to v2.1 or downgrading back to 2.0 then set up from scratch?

Others have gotten ethernet back haul working on v2.1.3.4:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-wired-backhaul-performance/m-p/1548397/highlight/false#M2...

@nobrainer wrote:

I downgraded the router/satellite to the next lower version (2.0.1.4) and reset to factory defaults.  I think internet speeds improved by my wired backhaul is fubar.  as soon as I plugged in the cable I loose internet connection and it doesn't come back (waited about 20min); I can't get to the web gui (windows says no internet service).  I rebooted the router and satellites to try and correct the issue.  As soon as I unplug the satellite everything starts to work again, so I left the cable unplugged.

The probelm is that the place I have the remote satellite at is apparently too far away to get a reliable signal and I have tons of dead spots now on the main level and when I move the satellite closer, then I get deadspots in the upstairs level (which is where I was trying to solve for in the firs place).

Message 5 of 10
eljarviso
Luminary

I'm running 2.1.2.18 with wireless backhaul and here are my iperf3 speeds

MacbookAir wirelessly connected to satellite - 480Mbps

Zidoo X9S Android Media player connected via wire to satellite - 835Mbps

Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

And what are the wired speeds connected to the router?

Some wireless devices don't support upwards of 900Mb +- speeds. There limited by there HW and design. You'll need to check with the Mfrs of these devices to see what max supported wireless speeds they can do.

Always test with ethernet cable connections for most accurate speed testing. If your getting near 900Mb on wired at the router, then you good there.

Message 7 of 10
nobrainer
Tutor

sorry, I guess I should have been clearer.

I do the majority of my testing through speedtest.net  in chrome on a gigabit wired windows box to achieve the higher 800+ mbit results

when I use the web gui from orbilogin.com to do the QoS speedtest that results in about 400mbit (although since downgrading it tries and errors out eventually saying it's unable to determine speed).

when I upgraded the orbi to the 2.1.3.4 (or whatever it is) the speedtest.net results avg'd in the 740s.  

Message 8 of 10
nobrainer
Tutor

another question, whats the actual current public firmware?  I went to the main downloads page and it lists a bunch of different ones, all out of order and the autoupgrade says i'm on the current, but there's 2.1.3.4 (beta if I'm understanding the forums correctly), 2.1.2.18, 2.0.1.4 (current;y installed), and 2.1.1.16.  There's other versions listed, but these looked to be the highest in their respective series.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

i believe 2.1.2.18 would be current and v2.1.3.4 is beta unless NG made it official, I don't think so. NG pulled .18 from auto update as it was giving users problems.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7