Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Orbi firmware 2.1.2.18 update issues?

MrX911
Apprentice

3 reboots in 2 hours. So fed up of this 

Message 26 of 335
MrX911
Apprentice

UPDATE: Seems like it doesnt like daisy chain as 2 of my 3 satellites were getting just a 2.4 backhaul where they previously got 5ghz

I had re-enabled daisy chain for this new firmware. Switched it back off and satellites now back on 5 - hopefully stable!

Message 27 of 335
siuolly
Star

This update is worse than ever.  Updated 3 hours ago... satallite doesn't connect to Router.  All my wifi connect failed.  I need to keep rebooting the router and it only last for an hour. WTF?  I was hoping you guy resolve the problem where I need to factory reset my **bleep** every week now I need to do it more frequent.

Message 28 of 335
JMU1998
Luminary

Took v2.1.2.18 a few hrs ago did factory reset, nvram clear now sattalite does not show as connected sattalite but as attached as a device to the main Orbi unit! Yes I rebooted both several times as well anyone else seeing this? a devices show connected to main unit as well so nothing fixed for me.

Message 29 of 335
MrX911
Apprentice

After switcihing off daisy chain 1 of my nearby satellites still only connecting on 2.4

Message 30 of 335
rodcast
Aspirant

I saw the firmware update fixed the special character wifi password issue. I was also hoping that it would fix the wifi password issue which I have (lower case 18+ characters), but it didn't. Basically, my issue is that it takes several attempts to connect wirelessly and sometimes the lowercase password I mentioned above works and sometimes the default router password has to be used. It's odd because I have changed the default password, but it still accepts the default password. I'm a pretty patient person, but I just got this setup a few days ago and am seriously considering returning it. I heard so many good things about this network, but I didn't think something as basic as a password change would be a problem. 

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 31 of 335
MrX911
Apprentice

Now 5 reboots in 4 hours. REALLY NETGEAR???

Message 32 of 335
jmschnur923
Luminary

Regardless of the “unknown” connection to my far daisy chained sat with a good connection, I am getting about 12 millisecond pings to all of my 30 devices as I walk around the house with an iPad Pro. 7% load on the router. This is an iPho)e, iPad house with a Roku and a Chromcast thrown in.

AP mode with Fios at 85. DSL report on buffer is B with A+ quality internet ratIns.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 33 of 335
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello MrX911

Do you have any google/android devices on the network? If so they could be the reason for the system rebooting as google has acknowledged a flaw in there devices causing routers to crash. Netgear and google are working on a fix for these issues.

DarrenM

Message 34 of 335
kennyj
Aspirant

@kennyj wrote:

@dkunath wrote:

I noticed that there was a new firmware version 2.1.2.18 for Orbi RBK50.  Has anyone installed this version, and has there been any issues after the installation.  Please provide any details that you may have.

Thanks,

Dave

Updated to the new firmware about an hour ago.

Attached devices all reporting ok except for Ring (reporps connection type unknown).  It now seems to take a bit of time for the attached devices to populate.  Sat. reported as not connected but about 12 seconds later it reported good.  This was not the case with the prior beta 211 software which populated the devices instantaneously and correctly.   Will monitor.

Did a power cycle on both the router and the sat along with 3 refreshes,  Attached devices are now reporting correctly.  Will monitor.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 35 of 335
rodcast
Aspirant

Quick update...I rebooted router and satellites a couple of more times and now my password works and default password no longer works. Thanks Netgear for fixing this.
Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 36 of 335
DScone
Star

This update has been solid for me so far. Thanks Netgear for your hard work. Keep the updates coming. 

Message 37 of 335
cmftblynu
Star

I'm having the same issues.  I disconnected my switch with all my wired devices, and connected my main computer to the orbi router directly, that seemed to at least let me into the router, everything looks normal and I have internet.  Says 2 of the satellites are disconnected, could be rebooting.  I am about done with this stupid router.  Between their screwup with android and every firmware release these people are incompetent idiots.

Message 38 of 335
mrogers77
Star

Google's fix is supposed to be released tomorrow, 1/18.

Message 39 of 335
Hydro130
Luminary

Installed earlier this afternoon, and still no issues thus far - everything working very well.

I did not do a factory reset this time around - I just installed it over the prev version (2.1.1.16) via the firmware update option in the GUI - that went smoothly.  All precvious settings were maintained, and all of my varrious devices have now settled down on the device (router vs sat) and network (2.4 vs 5) that I want each one to be on. 

So far so good!

Message 40 of 335
tagteam
Virtuoso

Hydro130 wrote:
...I just installed it over the prev version (2.1.1.16) via the firmware update option in the GUI...

Kind of strange - I have v2.1.1.16 and there is no update being offered in the GUI ("No new firmware version available").

Message 41 of 335
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I've been running beta 2.1.2.16 for the past week and a half and it has been stable for me. This release seems to be just the release version of the not very public beta so I think it should be OK. It doesn't fix the google device issue but that will resolve itself soon enough even if netgear does nothing as google is providing fixes now. 

Message 42 of 335
Hydro130
Luminary

@tagteam wrote:

@Hydro130 wrote:
...I just installed it over the prev version (2.1.1.16) via the firmware update option in the GUI...

Kind of strange - I have v2.1.1.16 and there is no update being offered in the GUI ("No new firmware version available").

That's odd, maybe it's being realeased incremetally?  I was fully expecxting to have to do a manual update, but decided to first check the Firmware Update page for giggles, and there it was... 

It's been quite a while since I've updated that way, but it worked fine... Well, so far anyway!  But I wasn't having any issues at all with v.16, so I'm pretty confident this latest f/w will be OK for me too.

Message 43 of 335
snikker17
Guide

New update tells me that my devices are connected to the satellite (RBS50) but shows connection type as "unknown".

Grade:

'A' for effort.

'C' for execution of reported function change

Message 44 of 335
charlie190
Guide

I updated my router first (by accident), and now I can't see my satellites. reset, resync don't appear to help. Any ideas?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 45 of 335
MrX911
Apprentice

After 6 dropouts I reinstalled satellites and router with firmware again (starting with the 3 sats)

Woke up 7 hours later and no longer getting any drops. Fingers firmly crossed.

Routers really should be plug and play. I've given so much of my time to Orbi in the last 2-3 months

Message 46 of 335
snikker17
Guide

Try downgrading the RBR50 to the previous FW you were on.

Message 47 of 335
MrX911
Apprentice

That was beta 2.1.2.10 and was fine for two weeks then issues 2 days ago. So far reinstalling this latest one is working but I have zero long term stability faith in the Orbi product of late or Netgear ability to fix things 

Message 48 of 335
thombe
Apprentice

RBR50 + 1xRBS50

updated from previously manual update of firmware 2.1.1.12 to 2.1.2.18

Only issue found was the actual update process :

The Router found the new firmware through the Admin - Firmware update page but the satellite kept saying checking... so couldn't update either through the admin page as the update button is greyed out while it checks the satellite. Besides, I've learnt the importance of updating the satellite first before you do anything else.

Fix was to login to Satellite webpage and do manual update which then rebooted as expected.
Returned to Router admin page, however it was still showing as "checking" satellite for firmware updates
So did a manual update of Router firmware as well.

Other than that. Nothing else spotted (yet).

Most nervous firmware update I've ever performed I'd say though 😉

Side note, I ended up returning the extra satellite i'd bought as i got so fed up with it, decided i'd look again at the 3rd one once all this firmware stuff settles down. If it doesn't ever end up becoming the product we all bought into (and to my shame recommending to friends who have gone on to purchse as well) then my loss will remain the initial 1 sat setup, not a small loss, but £200 extra saved from returning the extra satellite.

Ben

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 49 of 335
cmftblynu
Star

I don't know where to begin.  I have never been so angry at a company.  I don't know whether to blame Google / Oreo / Google Home / Chrome Cast... but I DEFINITELY blame Netgear in all of this.  I have had nothing but complete trouble for the last 4 firmware updates.  I finally after BREAKING MY ENTIRE SMART home, including lights, doorbells, garage door, motion sensors, sonos, Wi-Fi... I got a relatively stable release with 2.1.2.16.  We have apple and android at home, we also have nest security cameras.  I have a couple Logitech security cameras that use power over ethernet, and have a switch (hub) and lots of wired connections.  2.1.2.16 ended up ok, but that was really only when we disconnected the pixel 2.  At first this firmware seemed to work with pixel 2 then it got more and more unstable, with the pixel connected it would slowly start making the network flaky.  The previous firmware I couldn't see attached devices, the satellites would not update or connect, I had to start from scratch etc. every time.  Then last night it said 2.1.2.18 fixed the high CPU issue (which I assume means the crazy android mess).  So, like an IDIOT I updated.  Immediately I noticed I had no Wi-Fi, I figured it just needed to all reboot, NOPE nothing, I couldn't even get a wired connection to get internet, I got so frustrated I went to bed.  I had to connect my main computer directly to my cable modem and download the previous firmware.  Then I had to disconnect my switch/hub and everything from the Orbi router, and just connect my computer, to downgrade the firmware to everything.  Then I had to do a complete network reset including the cable modem, and wait for it all to come back up.  So slowly I think I am back to as stable as I have had.  What I don't understand is that this is all a mixed bag.  Some people say they have the same exact issues as I do, some say this has been very stable.  I know android is pushing some fix.  Right now, we have all pixels and google homes and chrome casts disconnected from the network so they don't break it.  I don't know whether to blame/class action sue google or Netgear or both for being incompetent companies.  No product should take down your entire network like this.  Orbi needs to get their stuff together, no firmware update should disconnect your own product satellites.  That makes no sense, that is instability among your OWN products.  No firmware update should ever break a WIRED connection to your computer... what the heck Netgear?  You guys have to stop experimenting with us on these firmware updates.  RELEASE STABLE FIRMWARE.  You don't just break people's connection to the internet, you break our home security, our smart home devices including garage doors etc.  You literally make our life hell when you release this stuff.  I know there are thousands or millions of combinations of stuff on networks that may work for some people on some firmware, but providing home networking cannot be this difficult, I don't understand how a device connected to a network can break the entire network or communication between your product satellites or router or wired connections that seems like it is on you!  I know there is a bunch of security stuff you are also dealing with, but I am not updating anything anymore, I don't care if you promise me that it will be the best experience in the entire world.  I DON'T TRUST YOU ANYMORE.  Your product is junk I am convinced.  I just need to smash this stuff up and go to a different company, I have owned at least 10 different company’s routers over the years and never been so frustrated.  When your Orbi system works, it works perfectly when it breaks (which is the majority of the time) it is useless JUNK.

Message 50 of 335
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7