Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Orbi firmware 2.1.2.18 update issues?

Blcklab
Apprentice

Thoughts on if Velop 2 unit system (1 router 1 satellite) will cover as much as 2 orbi system?

I have your typical two-story newer home. 2800 square feet stairs corners Etc lots of little tiny dropouts before getting a mesh system
Message 76 of 335
bglana
Aspirant

Interesting. I can get only the 2.1.1.16 firmware update in Europe. So weird.

Message 77 of 335
jcalex22
Star

I just manually updated to the latest firmware version and so far everything is stable, at least for me. I have not had any reboots previously reported in this forum, but I am using Orbi in the AP mode. All advance setting are enabled except fast roaming. That seems to cause my IP cameras to blink out momentarily and then back again. I have 83 devices and they all have their issues at times. I am not sure it is my DSL connection or Orbi, but so far I'm still connecting with no major issues. I would kill for a faster internet connection, but only DSL is available in my area. It maybe I have too many devices to work together consistantly on such a slow connection. I have never been able to stream Netflix or Amazon videos smoothly, so I guess I get what I get. Not a Netgear issue, at least in my opinion.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 78 of 335
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

@bglana wrote:

Interesting. I can get only the 2.1.1.16 firmware update in Europe. So weird.

Strange, UK has 2.1.2.18 available.

Message 79 of 335
bglana
Aspirant

Oh yes I got it when I logged in to the router. If I was using the link 2.1.2.16 has been downloaded.

Message 80 of 335
Havok_
Star

Upgrade went off without a hitch.  No reboots and no interruptions so far.

Fixed an annoying issue where things were refusing to connect to the RBS even though only 10' away and were instead connecting to RBR a floor and 80' away.

Now if only I could get force devices to connect to specific satellite or 5GHz (instead of 2.4) things would be almost perfect...

Message 81 of 335
Hydro130
Luminary

@Havok_ wrote:

...I could get devices to connect to specific satellite or 5GHz (instead of 2.4) things would be almost perfect...

Give it a bit of time to settle things down...  When ever I do a reboot, my devices swarm to the router (since it boots up first), and the 2.4 network (since it seems to initailly have the most reach), but after a few hours or so, I find that things eventually re-sort and settle down on their own to the appropriate place they should be (router vs sat, and 2.4 vs 5).

Message 82 of 335
Havok_
Star

Agreed.  I just want the control to force devices not to connect to 2.4.

This update has been much better about auto-sorting things out though.

Message 83 of 335
donp1225
Initiate

Hi all, 

I was having a hard time with my satellite constantly disconnecting. I saw 2.1.2.18 was available yesterday and decided to try it. Updated both router and then satellite. I have my router upstairs connected to Optimum modem at 200MBPS router set for DHCP mostly default settings. I have satellite one floor below maybe 30 feet way so I can have my PS4 hardwired. After updating and rebooting, it looks like no more drop outs of satellite, and hardwired speed test reported by PS4 is 166mbps down and about 10mbps up, not bad. However, I did notice while connecting remotely to my PS4 from upstairs on a PC, that the disconnects seem to have stopped, but it looks like there is still some freezing happening since the game will freeze up every 15 minutes or so. This should obviously be rock solid, so I am not sure what is happening. I have always had good luck with Netgear and got this to replace my nighthawk which has always worked flawlessly. I am trying to get higher speeds to the PS4 downstairs which cannot be hardwired to the internet due to wiring/routing issues. The whole mesh thing seemed like a great choice since speed is not supposed to suffer. I tried powerline, wifi extenders, etc, without luck so this was very promissing. Looks to be good when it works, but I would expect it to be rock solid. Not sure if I need to take it back and try one of the other options out there. Otherwise this has been a solid performer. Oh, PS, this is my 2nd set of ORBI RBR50, the first set the satellites would not even connect out of the box. I have one more new satellite I have not connected yet, I may try swapping it out to the PS4 and see if there is a difference. I really just want this to work 🙂

Message 84 of 335
shifty-key
Aspirant

ok folks apparently 17 times is the charm. After many months of issues, i finally updated to 2.1.2.18 and can report all is working.

I was up to 2.1.2.16 and everything broke, went back to 2.0.0.74 and disabled auto-update through telnet and got it at least functioning again...

Saw the 2.1.2.18 on here and decided to give it a shot. It's working, and i'm seeing my satellites and they are connecting using 5Ghz.

I couldn't get hte purple link to auto-update on the router (Probably due to me telnetting and disabling) so i downloaded it, updated the router.

Then i did a factory reset using the pin on both satellites and re-synced them to the router. Bingo. They connected, finally i did the auto-update through the admin panel and all is working!

Message 85 of 335
soeun
Apprentice

No issues on my end. So far so good for 2 plus hours. 

Message 86 of 335
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Manually upgraded to v2.1.2.18, and am pretty happy so far. Upgrade went off without a hitch, everything just continued to work as it was, which was well. No resets or power-cycling needed here. The list of where clients are connected is correct again, and when I log into the satellite web admin GUI, I actually see the devices connected to it. As I recall, v2.1.1.16 started out this way as well, but after a few days, everything showed connected to the router unit.

Again, though, I apparently don't have any of the badly behaved clients that are disrupting people's home networks.

And time will tell if this version of the firmware keeps the displayed lists of clients sorted out. Hope springs eternal *smile*.

Message 87 of 335
dmw15
Tutor

I updated to 2.1.2.18 last night and now my internet speeds are less than 30Mbps.  I've rebooted the router but no change. Am I missing something?

Message 88 of 335
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@dmw15 wrote:

I updated to 2.1.2.18 last night and now my internet speeds are less than 30Mbps.  I've rebooted the router but no change. Am I missing something?

Personally, I'd reset both the router and satellite to factory defaults and manuallly re-enter my settings. A long shot would be connecting a laptop or desktop directly to the modem and seeing what speed you get there...you may need simply to reset your modem, but seems unlikely to me.

Message 89 of 335
shifty-key
Aspirant

I'm also noticing, now that you said that... this is indeed a bit slower than before. Do you have any of the beamforming, Mimo etc?

Message 90 of 335
Blcklab
Apprentice

I was ready to go get a velop when I thought I would give this firmware one last chance coming from 1.11.0 .20. this one had given me fits almost immediately after initially upgrading it the first time. I did a full system power cycle and then reset the satellite and router to default and set it up as a new system. So far it's stable for a few hours with zero reboots. The key will be what happens in the morning when I wake it up. That's what I've had reboots on the previous latest firmware.

For what it's worth I'm running Android 8.1, two Google home Minis and one Chromecast in addition to other wireless devices

Dad said nobody should have to jump through so many hoops. Most of us experienced a Plug and Play device when we first bought orbi and the firmware updates were seamless until the last few.

On the other hand researching other devices really showed me how ugly the orbi is. However I bought it for its power. But the black velop from Best Buy would certainly look nicer

Message 91 of 335
dmw15
Tutor

So I rebooted the modem this time and when it came back up my speeds definitely improved.  I've never rebooted the modem before when doing a firmware upgrade so maybe that fixed it.  We shall see.

Message 92 of 335
dmw15
Tutor

I forgot to add that I do not (and did not) have beamforming or MMO on.  

Message 93 of 335
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@dmw15 wrote:

So I rebooted the modem this time and when it came back up my speeds definitely improved.  I've never rebooted the modem before when doing a firmware upgrade so maybe that fixed it.  We shall see.

Glad to hear that helped! Seemed like a long shot...but a possibility none the less *smile*.

Message 94 of 335
dmw15
Tutor

Thanks for your help and quick reply. 

Message 95 of 335
Wally47
Aspirant

My router updated yesterday to 2.1.2.18. Subsequently nothing connected on WiFi; hardware connections were fine.

After some rebooting & checking found that the update cut-off a portion of the WiFi password and put in a ^ at the end.

I set the password back to original and everything is running fine again. 

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 96 of 335
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

Mine updated automatically but the Sat stayed on the older firmware, so I had to revert to the older on on the main unit then manually update Sat first and Router after, once I did that everthing has been working normally so far.

Message 97 of 335
madbrain
Luminary

Updated wednesday to 2.1.1.18 .  Set the SSID so that all devices connect to it. Have already had multiple Orbi reboots. No improvement on this side.

Message 98 of 335
RogerSC
Virtuoso

One other thing I've been appreciating with this latest firmware version (other than getting the "Attached Devices" client connections sorted out between the router and satellite units) is that the 2.4GHz. band looks better. Even though I'd like to just turn it off, 25% tx power is okay I guess...what I'm really glad to see is that this firmware version finally is using a 20MHz. channel width instead of 40MHz. channel width. Got lots of neighbors using 2.4GHz., and I've been feeling a little guilty about taking up over half of the 2.4GHz. band, but now I'm finally down to 20MHz. Of course, probably doesn't matter a whole lot at 25% tx power, but makes me feel better *smile*.

Something else to track and see if it stays that way...

Message 99 of 335

Did a manual update on my router and sat. (update did not show on admin panel or app here in Sweden) 

I hade some problem to get the sat to sync with the router after the update.

And when i finnaly got i to work the sat connection showed "bad" and i hade good before and the sat is on the same spot as before and it connented on 2,4.

I left everything over night and looked back in the morning and now the connection was back on "good" over 5G again.

After the update/sync problems it has been working like a sharm for me and it is stable and all devices show up in the list on both the router and sat.Skärmavbild 2018-01-19 kl. 13.19.04.png

Message 100 of 335
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7