Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Orbi firmware 2.1.2.18 update issues?

DudeDad
Apprentice

I found the update in the Netgear iOS app.....so far, so good.

Message 151 of 335
MrX911
Apprentice

After a day of disconnetions and 2 months of hell, I have given up.  2 Satellites going back to Amazon for a full refund.  One Router and 1 sat purchased 8 months ago now an £399 expensive paperweight.

Installed Amplifi HD with 2 mesh points and all issues instantly disappeared.  As much as I wanted this to work, it's crock of ***** and I will never come near another Netgear product again. 

(by the way I have no Google or Android products so its not that!)

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 152 of 335
Blcklab
Apprentice

I went with the Velop. So far no issues. Hopefully Netgear sorts this out and I can sell my satellite and router or give it to my daughter when she gets her college apartment
Message 153 of 335
ajshurts
Apprentice

@ajshurts wrote:

I have to reset my router every 24-48 hours and it is running in AP mode so the system is not even doing any heavy lifting.  I am pretty much done with this system.  I work from home and I can't trust it to not crash on me during a critical meeting.  It's frustrating because it seemed to have worked well for a while and then firmware update after firmware update, I just run into new problems.

One of the updates took me completely offline, one screwed up my DNS resolution, these last few have been the consistent daily or every other day crashing.  For the cost of this system, I don't expect these kinds of issues.  I had an Asus RT-N66U which just worked, forever, no crashes, 24 hours a day, every day.  The only thing it was lacking was Wi-Fi range.

So, I am giving the system one more chance before I throw in the towel.  I factory reset all my units and re-applied the 2.1.2.18 firmware and re-synced the whole system.  I placed my cable modem in bridged mode and set the Orbi back up as a true router/dhcp server.

Current uptime: 01:34:46

The real test will be when all 6 of my children are home this weekend with their iPads, iPhones, 3 smart TVs, 2 Xbox Ones and a PS4, a few laptops, a couple Raspberry Pis, and for a stress test - I'll blow away the blockchain on my Ethereum mining rig and resynch it while they are all here.  If it won't handle all that, then I can safely say, it's not the system for me.

Message 154 of 335
sleepr88
Apprentice

Netgear, since you can't seem to fix the Orbi, are you going to start issuing refunds? or exchanging everyone to Orbi Pros (which doesn't appear to have these problems, because you value business customers over regular consumers?)?

Message 155 of 335
GEB222
Guide

Thanks @iJester but that did not work for me.

But I also got the following message from the browser : ... <meta http-equiv="Cache-control" content="no-cache"> ... which as far as I understand may be an indication of a desynchronization between the satellite and the router.
So I re-sync satellite and router using Power On/Off button of the satellite.
It then automatically reloaded from Netgear site V2.1.2.18 firmware and asked me to install, what I did successfully.

Now satellite and router have the same firmware versions.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 156 of 335
marcosoul
Guide

Had no issues and was stable until today. The router become unresponsive. I'm assuming it crashed. Simple reboot fixed it but nontheless a bug. By far the best stability I have encountered thus far with Orbi. First time I went an entire week with no reboot!

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 157 of 335
mrogers77
Star

I did the uprgade and ran fine for a day, then started seeing issues. I'd get drops and eventually completely lose signal and the only way to recover was to power cycle bioth the router and satellite. Today was even worse - I'd get dropped 5or more time in an hour, twice completely lost service and had to power cycle the units to restore wi-fi. I just downgraded my firmware to 2.0.0.74 which seemed to be the most stable fo rme. EXTREMELY disappointed in this - it's a brand new unit and I've had more trouble in the last week than I had in a year with my previous setup. For the price of this system, we really should be getting a great system, this system right now is a joke.

Message 158 of 335
Turrmoil
Guide

What a piece of horse sh*t router set. Upgraded to the latest firmware and wan connectivity on WiFi lost. I don’t have android or google devices. I have a Roku and Apple TV. And many iPhones. Have At&t internet service with my orbi setup in dmz on the At&t router and modem combo unit. Will buy another router if this doesn’t work!!
Message 159 of 335
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@Turrmoil wrote:
What a piece of horse sh*t router set. Upgraded to the latest firmware and wan connectivity on WiFi lost. I don’t have android or google devices. I have a Roku and Apple TV. And many iPhones. Have At&t internet service with my orbi setup in dmz on the At&t router and modem combo unit. Will buy another router if this doesn’t work!!

Not sure why you’re using the DMZ, rather that the usual way of connecting things? For example, you could use the Orbi in AP mode connected to the AT&T router via a LAN port on the router to the WAN port on the Orbi. Then the Orbi would just be acting as a wireless access point. If you do that, you’ll need to turn off the wireless radios on the AT&T router. Or put the AT&T router into bridge/transparent mode and use the Orbi to do all the routing and wireless functionality. So the AT&T modem/router would just be acting as a modem.

If it were me, I’d pick one of the two configuration modes above as a starting point, and go from there. Unless you have a reason why you’re using the DMZ? Personally, I have the Orbi configured as an access point (AP mode), and have the wireless turned off on my ”main” router (R7800). Works well for me.

Message 160 of 335
DudeDad
Apprentice

I’m with you....I used the iOS app to update the Orbi and two satellites.  32 devices connected, and they are all reporting to be connected to the proper devices (router or satellites, so that issue was fixed).  I rebooted my Modem after and my wifi speeds are great (490 down on average with Xfinity gigabit, 41 up) and coverage is spot-on.

Message 161 of 335
ajshurts
Apprentice

My current configuration has hit almost 2 days: 01:23:02:47

This seems to be working...

Message 162 of 335
WAS_1
Aspirant

I now have 03:14:16. All looks good.on my simple network.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 163 of 335
timch
Luminary

7 days for me and not a glitch......I think this is great system

Message 164 of 335
mm06905
Guide

I'm having the same issue. I was using my wierd connection because wireless keeps dropping. Now the wired connection does not get to the internet. wireless seems to drop more since phone upgrade to android 8.1. Not sure if it is coincidental or if it is tied to the google issue. I need to work from home alot. going to switch to linksys.

Message 165 of 335
craigh14
Initiate

I purchased this system to simplfy my home wifi. Upon inital install I upgraded to 2.1.1.16 and hard wired 2 satellites in my home for the full speed backhaul. I was pleased with the system in general, but surprised by the length of time it took to reboot the system. Then 2.1.2.18 firmware arrived and the system became unusable. After spending 2-3 hours trying to reboot and reset the system, I decided to return the system while I could receive a full refund.

Then I purchased 3 UniFi (Ubiquiti) AP AC LR and used my original router (Asus RT-AC87R). The installation was a breeze and the "functional speed" of my devices has never been better! I can add additional AP's and once provisioned, they will function exactly as all the previously installed units. One SSID and I can't be more HAPPY! 

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 166 of 335
larryindublin
Luminary

YMMV, but I’m now just over 7 days since upgrading to 2.1.2.18. Zero reboots. Systems seem to have settled in to what appears to be the closest router or satellite. I do still have my 1 chromecast device turned off but it was on an already smart TV anyway as a backup. No issues with my android 7.0 December security patch Verizon phone.

Starting to think this is my stable system now, but hopefull as next versions come down the pike that we won’t slide backwards at all.

Message 167 of 335
RogerSC
Virtuoso

I've been pretty happy with the Orbi until now. However, my router unit has now lost sync twice in the last 3 or 4 days on the latest firmware. Going back to the previous firmware and see if happens with that release. I don't recall this happening with 2.1.1.16...I can live with the other web admin GUI peculiarities of 2.1.1.16, but when the router loses sync, I lose my internet. That's not good. If I can flash back to 2.1.1.16, and no more loss of sync, and I don't get auto-flashed back to 2.1.2.18, I'll be much happier.

We'll see.

Message 168 of 335
njweb
Luminary

The beta (2.1.2.18) is working fine for me since I installed it. Very stable, just like 2.0.0.74. 

Message 169 of 335
itzcoatl13
Guide

Hi,

There's a beta version of 2.1.2.18? If so where did you get it?
Message 170 of 335
guzzijason
Apprentice

@itzcoatl13 wrote:
Hi,

There's a beta version of 2.1.2.18? If so where did you get it?

No, there *was* a beta version of 2.1.2 that was a preview of 2.1.2.18. There (currently) is no more recent version available.

Message 171 of 335
Rip_93
Aspirant

Well almost threw in the towel, but gave it one more shot. Since the issue started I purchased the DecoM5, Amplifi HD and the Multi X. All great routers, but seemed too hard to swallow spending $300+ on a new system when we already have the best wifi system to date (opinion). I have many Android, echo and Google homes in my house and every time I simply unlocked my Galaxy s 8 my orbis crashed. I would be lucky to get 5 minutes of solid wifi. My 5 year old was even b!tching at me.l because the wifi was going out. Finally tried the Google services beta that every site was saying would fix all my problems which basically screwed up my phone and didn't help the orbis crashes. Formatted the phone and didn't install Google Home app and things are actually working now. I have one satillite on Ethernet backhaul and the other is just a plug in. I do not have daisychain active and the orbis in AP mode. I really think it's fixed!! Either way thought I would share my experience since the system was about to go into the trash. Any ways cheers and good luck to everyone.
Message 172 of 335
southpaw1977
Initiate

.18 bricked my router too.  Just got new replacement and it is extremely unstable.  It drops the wifi every 20 minutes including while typing this.  

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 173 of 335
Turrmoil
Guide

Filed complained with BBB for lack of delivering promised service after charging 500 dollars for the 3 pack unit.
Suggest all impacted file complaints with BBB using the San Jose office address.
Message 174 of 335
pedrore
Guide

I have the RBK50 (RBR50 + RBS50) and have been suffering with intermittent reboots for months. The .18 firmware has not helped, I get anywhere from a few hours, to one-three days before my WiFi drops and I see that my router is rebooting on its own. Incredibly frustrated. I am still within the one-year hardware warranty but no longer within the 90-day support window, so apparently this community is my only option and there are no answers from Netgear here.

Message 175 of 335
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7