Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Orbi firmware 2.1.2.18 update issues?

tagteam
Virtuoso

wrote:

It would be helpful if Netgear's Orbi web UI would provide a control to enable/disable auto update...

Totally agree, and if enough users vote up the following post, we might get this issue resolved.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/Orbi-System-Disable-automatic-firmware-updat...

Message 226 of 335
DudeDad
Apprentice

I agree that being able to choose to have the system auto-update or not is a good idea, and a simple fix.  i have been luck (so far) with the updates, but clearly many are not.  Having the ability to wait until you see how the update impacts others is a great option.

Message 227 of 335
RogerSC
Virtuoso

I believe that I've found a way to block auto-update, but it most likely isn't worth most people's time. And will create problems if you need ftp to access your home network remotely. Using dd-wrt on my "main" router (Orbi is in AP mode), when I block ftp, that prevents the Orbi from doing auto-update flashing. Not even seeing the "newer firmware available" banner on the Advanced Status page after almost 4 days.

I'd much rather see Netgear provide a method for blocking firmware auto-update when a particular firmware version doesn't play well with one's collection of home network clients. Rather than repeatedly forcing their users onto a firmware version that isn't working for them. And wasting the time of people like me that compulsively solve problems like these *smile*.

The Orbi has been very stable for me most of the last year that I've had it. V2.1.2.18 release is the first firmware version I've had a functional problem with in over a year of use. I'm currently evaluating whether it's worth it to me to spend the time to battle Netgear's firmware developers fervent desire that I stay on a firmware version that isn't working for my home network, versus giving me the tools to do make my home network functional. It would be much easier for Netgear to simply add a web admin interface switch to temporarily disable auto-update, versus all the time that I've spent in getting to the same place. Ending up having to disable part of my home network to accomplish the same goal.

Message 228 of 335
sleepr88
Apprentice

Message 229 of 335
SteveBala
Star

FTP block doesn’t work. I have checkpoint firewall and Orbi is in AP mode. FTP, telnet, ssh all ports are blocked.

I downgraded orbi to .74 fw last night and this morning it came back to 2.18.

Message 230 of 335
RogerSC
Virtuoso

wrote:

FTP block doesn’t work. I have checkpoint firewall and Orbi is in AP mode. FTP, telnet, ssh all ports are blocked.

I downgraded orbi to .74 fw last night and this morning it came back to 2.18.

I don't know what the checkpoint firewall is, but dd-wrt access restrictions in my main router are working for me. Are you using this firewall on your computer, or your router? It doesn't do any good to block ftp on your computer, since the Orbi is either a peer with your computer (if your computer is connected to your main router) or it's more towards the WAN than your computer (if your computer is connected to the Orbi), and ftp for the Orbi is not affected by firewalls run on your computer. If you're running the firewall on your main router (the one that the Orbi in AP mode is connected to), that might work.

I'm also blocking the web site "updates1.netgear.com", as well as ftp. Going on 5 days here, and don't even see the "newer firmware is available" banner at this point. Still on 2.1.1.16. So it's working for me, no sign of anything auto-update related going on.

Message 231 of 335
doccelo
Star

Continued disconnects for me on 2.1.2.18.  I've had constant disconnects since day 1 (around mid December 2017).  I have a mix of Android and Apple devices connecting to RBR50 and two RBS50 satellites arranged in wagonwheel pattern with router at center. 

DEVICES

Wireless: Note 8 (Android 7.1.1, Google Play Services 11.9.75), iPhone X, older and newer models of Macbook Pro, RaspPi, Airport Express, iPad, LG TV

Wired: Mac and PC

I've tried multiple manual resets to factory defaults, setting up with default values, changing SSID and password, resyncing the satellites, rebooting the system, downgrading to .74 (but didn't do the NVRAM thing to prevent auto updates...so don't know if that was stable for me).  It doesn't appear that the system is rebooting itselt, as the Up Time shows it has been up since the last manual reboot.  I do lose wi-fi on my Note 8 constantly.  It doesn't appear to break the wi-fi ONLY when I turn the phone on, because sometimes it loses wi-fi after I've been using it for a while and suddenly it drops.  Once it drops, it seems to affect the whole system as my laptop will lose internet connectivity as well and sometimes I'll have to disable Wi-Fi and re-enable to get it to work again (even if it reconnects automatically to the router or satellite, it sometimes will not have internet until I power cycle the Wi-Fi on my Macbook Pro).

Not sure what else to do at this point except maybe go back to .74 and try to prevent auto-update as every firmware update released so far has NOT SOLVED MY CONSTANT DISCONNECTS. 

NETGEAR, if you're listening, please advise how I should proceed.  Will contacting support actually accomplish something?  I'll provide whatever logs you need if it will help getting us a prompt resolution to a very worrysome and frustrating issue.  Hardware is nothing if the software is broken!  Those of us that depend on home internet for our jobs cannot conduct business this way.  It's a deal breaker, and if the issue is not resolved soon, I'll be jumping ship along with those many others that already have.  I've been patient enough.  It's your turn to deliver.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 232 of 335
itzcoatl13
Guide

To doccelo,

I was having exactly the same issue, even with my Note 8, and ironically it was fixed when I changed my router, from fios. It's awkward because it has nothing to do with the orbi and its update, but maybe if you can reset everything, including modem/router, it might help.
Message 233 of 335
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Tired of fighting with the Orbi, giving the eero a try. So far, I'm very impressed. Have it in bridged mode (as an AP), and it is giving me solid, full speed wireless coverage across my house. Got the Pro gen 2 system, 3 "Pro" nodes. Have two nodes downstairs, one upstairs. Due to the low profile, you can put them just about anywhere. Setup took about 10 minutes, from "unboxing" to having a functioning mesh network, the app guides you through setup. The eero app is great, nice user interface, lots of information available. Think that I'm going to like it, I'm feeling more relaxed already *smile*. It just works, don't feel the need to monitor it all the time. No disconnects or problems since setup. Very happy at this point. It is early yet, though. Still have the Orbi, I can go back to it if I need or want to.

Message 234 of 335
tsig
Luminary

Have they addressed the issue of if you lose external internet that your internal network will go down?

Message 235 of 335
webminster
Luminary

I thought that was specifically if your Internet connection goes down, AND your gateway Eero device gets reset.   But still lousy.   The one thing I didn't like - dependency on cloud for configuration...

Message 236 of 335
RogerSC
Virtuoso

wrote:

I thought that was specifically if your Internet connection goes down, AND your gateway Eero device gets reset.   But still lousy.   The one thing I didn't like - dependency on cloud for configuration...

Don't know about what happens if the internet is down yet, but according to smallnetbuilder, the eero gen 2 continues to operate. My internet hardly ever goes down. And I have my main router, an R7800 to fallback on if I feel I need it. All I have to do is turn on the radios on it, and my local network is back. Although, at this point, I don't have much use for my home network if the internet is down. But, as I said, what I've read is that the eero gen 2 fixed that problem.

By the way, the eero continues to just work, and work well. I've got no problem with that *smile*.

Message 237 of 335
Richard1864
Luminary

The Eero network does continue working after losing internet connectivity. The only issue I have with Eero is the complete lack of IPv6 support, which is becoming vital since IPv4 addresses have been exhusted. The backhaul between Eero’s is only a maximum of 600 mbps, vs 1.7 Gbps for Orbi, and more than 1 Gbps for other networks.

However, I have found Orbi Pro and Eero to be the most reliable mesh networks, and I’ve tried most of them all.
Message 238 of 335
Hydro130
Luminary

wrote:
...The only issue I have with Eero is the complete lack of IPv6 support, which is becoming vital since IPv4 addresses have been exhusted. ...

I'm going to give Eero a spin later this week, and I agree about this being a huge open issue... The Eero developers are bizarrely dodgey about why IPv6 support is still not available - I get the impression they aren't anywhere even close to rolling it out, but hopefully I'm wrong.

My Orbi is working fine, but I'm curious to see how Eero compares overall...  Outside of this IPv6 outlier of a conundrum, I am otherwise very impressed at the responsiveness of Eero's support/development team (in thier own support forum and Reddit, etc).

Message 239 of 335
RogerSC
Virtuoso

wrote:
The Eero network does continue working after losing internet connectivity. The only issue I have with Eero is the complete lack of IPv6 support, which is becoming vital since IPv4 addresses have been exhusted. The backhaul between Eero’s is only a maximum of 600 mbps, vs 1.7 Gbps for Orbi, and more than 1 Gbps for other networks.

However, I have found Orbi Pro and Eero to be the most reliable mesh networks, and I’ve tried most of them all.

Well, if you use the eero in bridged mode as an AP, it will pass the IPv6 stuff transparently. So, while the eero as a router doesn't currently do IPv6, if you have it in bridged mode and have a "main" router that does handle IPv6, then you've got IPv6. The R7800 that I'm using is just fine with IPv6, so there you go *smile*.

Message 240 of 335
SteveBala
Star

Checkpoint is perimeter firewall. www.checkpoint.com

I have office version with 1Gbps WAN interface. You can manage all ACL on the firewalls.

I can see Orbi is making call on FTP while checking fw update. then using 443 to download new fw.

Did you click on advanced page and clicked Check fw and see if it is reporting unable to reach service message?

Message 241 of 335
pedrore
Guide

I thought I was all clear with any Google/Android related issues since all my devices have updated and I was approaching 7 days of uptime, which is unheard of in my home - I have been lucky to get past 1-2 days of uptime previously. But, last night my WiFi dropped and indeed my router was rebooting.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 242 of 335
Abeheary
Aspirant

I have exactly the same issue. Found no intent connection, had to reset it but every time a wired device is connected everything get disconnected
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 243 of 335
lbdyck
Star

Had to reboot for an iTunes update and then spent 30 minutes trying to get my desktop running Windows 10 Home 64bit current build to connect to the internet.  It would connect but not have internet while my iphone, ipad, and laptop all had internet connectivity. Had to turn off wifi and back on, disconnect, connect, and reboot twice, and then something worked and i had both network and internet connectivity. My desktop is less than 60 inches away from the Orbi router.

My laptop has this issue frequently.

Netgear - WHEN WILL THIS BE FIXED?

My wife hates the gaming routers - too darth vader ish and likes the esthetics of the orbi so i can't replace it BUT I WILL if this continues much longer. I've had it for over a month now and have been patient but that only goes so far.

At the very least Netgear should be offering rebates to all of us impacted along with their apologies for this mess.

Message 244 of 335
itzcoatl13
Guide

Hi,

When this happened to me (almost the exact scenario), I had to give the laptops a static address, then they worked just fine.
Message 245 of 335
SteveBala
Star

Anyone successfully able to block auto upgrade to .18? 

Downgraded to .74 fw. Block ftp and auto_upg flag to 0 in the confit. 

Today it auto upgraded back to latest .18 code.

It is piece of **bleep**, need to go back to Costco for full refund.

Message 246 of 335
djv323
Tutor

All, I have suffered the same fate as all of you. Drops, reboots, pure hell.

Well I can confirm that I have fixed the problem that impacted the Orbi system.  I have a TP-Link router because I do have a lot of wired connections, which the Orbi system is hooked in to.  The TP-link router had the wrong time set, 1 hour behind. This setting caused my TiVO Mini to lose connection about every 3 days.

After I changed the router to the proper time, nothing has lost connection, dropped, etc., for 2 weeks now, including the Orbi.  So please, if you have a router please check the time on it.  If it's wrong, set it correctly and your problems will be over, just like mine!

Message 247 of 335
RogerSC
Virtuoso

wrote:

Anyone successfully able to block auto upgrade to .18? 

Downgraded to .74 fw. Block ftp and auto_upg flag to 0 in the confit. 

Today it auto upgraded back to latest .18 code.

It is piece of **bleep**, need to go back to Costco for full refund.

Yes, if you can block ftp for the Orbi, you'll prevent auto-update...This is much easier to do if your Orbi is in AP mode, then you can block ftp on your "main" wired-only router. This is the only way that I found to block auto-update. Easy with dd-wrt firmware on your main router.

Message 248 of 335
doccelo
Star

wrote:

All, I have suffered the same fate as all of you. Drops, reboots, pure hell.

Well I can confirm that I have fixed the problem that impacted the Orbi system.  I have a TP-Link router because I do have a lot of wired connections, which the Orbi system is hooked in to.  The TP-link router had the wrong time set, 1 hour behind. This setting caused my TiVO Mini to lose connection about every 3 days.

After I changed the router to the proper time, nothing has lost connection, dropped, etc., for 2 weeks now, including the Orbi.  So please, if you have a router please check the time on it.  If it's wrong, set it correctly and your problems will be over, just like mine!

Just checked my Orbi Router and the Time Zone was set incorrectly.  Not sure when that got switched or if I just forgot to set it.  Will see if changing it to the correct zone improves anything. 

Message 249 of 335
djv323
Tutor

If you are going straight off your internet provider modem, 10-4.  If you are not and there is a router prior to getting to your Orbi, please check it as well.  However, i would imagine if your Orbi isn't matching your ISP's date and time it would cause what I was experiencing as well.  Let me know how it turns out!

Message 250 of 335
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7