Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Orbi firmware 2.1.2.18 update issues?

Cereal
Tutor

Ever since 2.1.2.18 my RBR50/RBS50 AP Mode setup will not go above 10-20Mbps download on any device I test from (tablets, phones, laptops). I have verified via wired connection my internet is functioning properly (120/10). The devices can be connected on 2.4 or 5Ghz, it doesnt matter just slow speeds all around.

My patience is at an all time low with this. 

Message 251 of 335
kennyj
Aspirant

wrote:

Ever since 2.1.2.18 my RBR50/RBS50 AP Mode setup will not go above 10-20Mbps download on any device I test from (tablets, phones, laptops). I have verified via wired connection my internet is functioning properly (120/10). The devices can be connected on 2.4 or 5Ghz, it doesnt matter just slow speeds all around.

Hang in there kid.  I had mine in AP mode and got fast speed so I know it can be done. 

Others will likely come up with other suggestions but here goes my take.

1) Make sure that the firmware on both the router and sat unit(s) are the same.

2) I would disconnect any sat unit that you have and start with just the router

3) Unhook all cat 5 cables from the Orbi router except for one that goes from your computer to the Orbi router

4) Turn off all wireless devices (Android, tables, phones, TV's, DVD players) that would likely want to connect to the Orbi

5) Power cycle the cable modem, router, Orbi and computer

6) After power up and waiting 4 minutes, check the Orbi. 

Make sure that everything looks OK

(only Orbi and PC connected, all have IP addresses, etc)

6) Run your speed test.  If not high speed, then I suspect

A) Maybe bad cat 5 cables - Try swap out what you have 

B) Orbi might be bad - wait for others for suggestions before swapping out

C) The router up ahead of the Orbi might not be configured properly - possibly

D) Something else you might have failed to mention in your post - more than likely

You have a router ahead of the Orbi in AP mode?

Networking is like a bowl of cherries. 

You don't want to eat the stems. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 252 of 335
Cereal
Tutor

wrote:

wrote:

Hang in there kid.  I had mine in AP mode and got fast speed so I know it can be done. 

Others will likely come up with other suggestions but here goes my take.

1) Make sure that the firmware on both the router and sat unit(s) are the same.

2) I would disconnect any sat unit that you have and start with just the router

3) Unhook all cat 5 cables from the Orbi router except for one that goes from your computer to the Orbi router

4) Turn off all wireless devices (Android, tables, phones, TV's, DVD players) that would likely want to connect to the Orbi

5) Power cycle the cable modem, router, Orbi and computer

6) After power up and waiting 4 minutes, check the Orbi. 

Make sure that everything looks OK

(only Orbi and PC connected, all have IP addresses, etc)

6) Run your speed test.  If not high speed, then I suspect

A) Maybe bad cat 5 cables - Try swap out what you have 

B) Orbi might be bad - wait for others for suggestions before swapping out

C) The router up ahead of the Orbi might not be configured properly - possibly

D) Something else you might have failed to mention in your post - more than likely

You have a router ahead of the Orbi in AP mode?

1) Good suggestion but they are both the same, 2.1.2.18

2-5) I'll give it a go

6) I ran a speed test directly from Orbi router itself (Advanced -> Setup -> Qos) and was a perfect 120/10 speedtest. Which means the orbi-> router is clean (wiring issues for instance) and my router itself is functioning properly

6D) Just to add, I am a network engineer... troubleshooting network issues is something I have been doing my entire career. I am human and may have missed something but this is a simple network setup and sectionalizing the issue has shown me it is orbi. 

Given what i have seen on these forums I would imagine it is more likely the firmware than a user issue at this rate. Netgear QA has not been exactly stellar. 

Message 253 of 335
kennyj
Aspirant

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Ever since 2.1.2.18 my RBR50/RBS50 AP Mode setup will not go above 10-20Mbps download on any device I test from (tablets, phones, laptops). I have verified via wired connection my internet is functioning properly (120/10). The devices can be connected on 2.4 or 5Ghz, it doesnt matter just slow speeds all around

6D) Just to add, I am a network engineer... troubleshooting network issues is something I have been doing my entire career. I am human and may have missed something but this is a simple network setup and sectionalizing the issue has shown me it is orbi. 

>>  6D)  I would guess that you have run tracert command based upon you being a network engineer.  What were the results up to where you connect to your IP host provider (next hop just outside your cable modem)?  Anything stick out?

Message 254 of 335
Cereal
Tutor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Ever since 2.1.2.18 my RBR50/RBS50 AP Mode setup will not go above 10-20Mbps download on any device I test from (tablets, phones, laptops). I have verified via wired connection my internet is functioning properly (120/10). The devices can be connected on 2.4 or 5Ghz, it doesnt matter just slow speeds all around

>>  6D)  I would guess that you have run tracert command based upon you being a network engineer.  What were the results up to where you connect to your IP host provider (next hop just outside your cable modem)?  Anything stick out?

Couple things:

1) traceroute (mtr actually as it looks nicer 🙂 ) have looked clean, nothing to indicate a problem

2) given that speedtests from the Orbi itself and via wired are fine than I would not expect an issue on my router/fw with my ISP.

Again the only issue I see is with wifi devices that cannot seem to break this 20Mbps barrier no matter if its on 5Ghz or 2.4ghz and no matter the device.

Here is an iperf test result between a wired linux host in my network and a laptop on wifi (Macbook pro on 5Ghz), bit better than speedtest (slightly over 20) but still terrible:

$iperf3 -c 192.168.1.11

Connecting to host 192.168.1.11, port 5201

[  4] local 192.168.1.103 port 50124 connected to 192.168.1.11 port 5201

[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth

[  4]   0.00-1.00   sec  3.46 MBytes  29.0 Mbits/sec                  

[  4]   1.00-2.00   sec  2.72 MBytes  22.8 Mbits/sec                  

[  4]   2.00-3.00   sec  2.71 MBytes  22.7 Mbits/sec                  

[  4]   3.00-4.00   sec  2.68 MBytes  22.5 Mbits/sec                  

[  4]   4.00-5.00   sec  2.71 MBytes  22.8 Mbits/sec                  

[  4]   5.00-6.00   sec  2.71 MBytes  22.7 Mbits/sec                  

[  4]   6.00-7.00   sec  2.73 MBytes  22.9 Mbits/sec                  

[  4]   7.00-8.00   sec  2.69 MBytes  22.5 Mbits/sec                  

[  4]   8.00-9.00   sec  2.70 MBytes  22.7 Mbits/sec                  

[  4]   9.00-10.00  sec  2.75 MBytes  23.1 Mbits/sec                  

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  27.9 MBytes  23.4 Mbits/sec                  sender

[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  27.9 MBytes  23.4 Mbits/sec                  receiver

To the same iperf server again but this time wired, to show it can handle up to 1Gbps:

$iperf3 -c 192.168.1.11

Connecting to host 192.168.1.11, port 5201

[  4] local 192.168.1.222 port 50210 connected to 192.168.1.11 port 5201

[  4]   0.00-1.00   sec   105 MBytes   880 Mbits/sec                  

[  4]   1.00-2.00   sec   112 MBytes   940 Mbits/sec                  

[  4]   2.00-3.00   sec   112 MBytes   940 Mbits/sec                  

[  4]   3.00-4.00   sec   112 MBytes   940 Mbits/sec                  

[  4]   4.00-5.00   sec   112 MBytes   941 Mbits/sec                  

[  4]   5.00-6.00   sec   112 MBytes   940 Mbits/sec                  

[  4]   6.00-7.00   sec   112 MBytes   941 Mbits/sec                  

[  4]   7.00-8.00   sec   112 MBytes   940 Mbits/sec                  

[  4]   8.00-9.00   sec   112 MBytes   940 Mbits/sec                  

[  4]   9.00-10.00  sec   112 MBytes   940 Mbits/sec                  

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.09 GBytes   934 Mbits/sec                  sender

[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.09 GBytes   934 Mbits/sec                  receiver

Message 255 of 335
kennyj
Aspirant

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Couple things:

1) traceroute (mtr actually as it looks nicer 🙂 ) have looked clean, nothing to indicate a problem

2) given that speedtests from the Orbi itself and via wired are fine than I would not expect an issue on my router/fw with my ISP.

Again the only issue I see is with wifi devices that cannot seem to break this 20Mbps barrier no matter if its on 5Ghz or 2.4ghz and no matter the device.

Since you can't get the speed on neither WiFi 2.4 nor 5Ghz and wired is OK, I would suspect bad router.  I have no other ideas at this point.  Perhaps someonce else can chime it.  All I can say is that it did work for me in AP mode.  Hope you find solution.

Message 256 of 335
Cereal
Tutor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Couple things:

Since you can't get the speed on neither WiFi 2.4 nor 5Ghz and wired is OK, I would suspect bad router.  I have no other ideas at this point.  Perhaps someonce else can chime it.  All I can say is that it did work for me in AP mode.  Hope you find solution.

Appreciate the help. I'll try the old factory reset, reboot everything, etc, etc. I would be surprised if its hardware as it was working great prior to the recent firmware update but things break sometimes.

Message 257 of 335
JMU1998
Luminary

Anyone know if a new Beta Firmware coming? 

Message 258 of 335
mealto
Star

This blows! System with 1 satellite was rock solid for months. Then 2.1.* came out. Getting tons of disconnects, not sure if it's just satellite or main router but have had to unplug main and satellite a few times to get it to work again. Cannot even connect via app or desktop that is plugged in with a hard line. This is crazy...

Basically, missing out on Olympics because we have no internet. Just nuts....

Message 259 of 335
PyroDog
Apprentice

Try going back to firmware

wrote:

This blows! System with 1 satellite was rock solid for months. Then 2.1.* came out. Getting tons of disconnects, not sure if it's just satellite or main router but have had to unplug main and satellite a few times to get it to work again. Cannot even connect via app or desktop that is plugged in with a hard line. This is crazy...

Basically, missing out on Olympics because we have no internet. Just nuts....

V2.0.0.74

Message 260 of 335
mealto
Star

How do I disable auto firmware update after going back to 2.0.0.74?

Message 261 of 335
PyroDog
Apprentice

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/m-p/1323973/highlight/true#M103...

That used to be a method known to block auto updates. It no longer seems to work. I'm lucky enough to be running Orbi in AP mode behind a proper router with firewall capability. I'm blocking all traffic generated by the Orbi units. 

Message 262 of 335
RogerSC
Virtuoso

wrote:

wrote:
The Eero network does continue working after losing internet connectivity. The only issue I have with Eero is the complete lack of IPv6 support, which is becoming vital since IPv4 addresses have been exhusted. The backhaul between Eero’s is only a maximum of 600 mbps, vs 1.7 Gbps for Orbi, and more than 1 Gbps for other networks.

However, I have found Orbi Pro and Eero to be the most reliable mesh networks, and I’ve tried most of them all.

Well, if you use the eero in bridged mode as an AP, it will pass the IPv6 stuff transparently. So, while the eero as a router doesn't currently do IPv6, if you have it in bridged mode and have a "main" router that does handle IPv6, then you've got IPv6. The R7800 that I'm using is just fine with IPv6, so there you go *smile*.

I've verified that eero does support IPv6 in bridged mode.

Message 263 of 335
SteveBala
Star

wrote:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/m-p/1323973/highlight/true#M103...

That used to be a method known to block auto updates. It no longer seems to work. I'm lucky enough to be running Orbi in AP mode behind a proper router with firewall capability. I'm blocking all traffic generated by the Orbi units. 

+1

Added Block ALL from Orbi Router and Satellite to WAN traffic on my upstream checkpoint firewall. Now it' stuck on .74 firmware. 

Message 264 of 335
heyeaglefn
Guide

So outside of using it in AP Mode and block traffic with another router, there is no way to block the auto update since Telenet doesn't work anymore.

Message 265 of 335
PyroDog
Apprentice

wrote:

So outside of using it in AP Mode and block traffic with another router, there is no way to block the auto update since Telenet doesn't work anymore.

As far as we know that is the current situation. 

Message 266 of 335
mealto
Star

What's really crazy about all of this is that based on the comments from the last few months, there are a bunch of us who had relatively rock solid Wifi until the more recent updates. Let's hope the next FW release will give a much more reliable experience.

Message 267 of 335
heyeaglefn
Guide

Yup for me it was rock solid until first update after the .74 update, then it sucked, then I went back to .74 for a week and it was solid and now it is spotty again so it is definitely firmware.

Message 268 of 335
mealto
Star

I rolled back to .74 2 days ago and it's been nice and solid. I am logging in every day to check to see if it had updated, so far it stayed. 

When you say it's spotty, is that still on .74?

Message 269 of 335
heyeaglefn
Guide

Nope it is great on .74, zero problems.  The problem is it will continue to check the firmware and upgrade you at some point, I guess I will roll back now and see how long I can go back before it upgrades.  I got auto upgraded to 2.18 and that is when the problems started again.

Message 270 of 335
larryindublin
Luminary

wrote:

Yup for me it was rock solid until first update after the .74 update, then it sucked, then I went back to .74 for a week and it was solid and now it is spotty again so it is definitely firmware.

And what's funny for me is that I had random reboots with .74 but since 2.1.2.18 I've been rock solid. Uptime is basically since the day after the firmware was installed, except for a power blip the ouse had a few days back. I did update my Android devices to beta play services and turned off uPnP but other than that, I'm loving Orbi lately. I just hope the NEXT firmware doesn't break things.

Message 271 of 335
setham
Star

Hi,

I wanted to wait a couple of weeks before posting about my upgrade to 2.1.18.

I have a Linksys WRT1200AC running OpenWRT as the router (wifi disabled) and the Orbit and 2x Satellites as AP.  

• Daisy Chain Enabled
  • Beamforming, MU-MIMO & Fast Roaming Disabled

As I mentioned in a prior post I have a raspberrypi (stationary, not roaming across the system) monitoring that the three Orbi devices are up and running. Monitoring among other things is pinging the 3 Orbis, checking that the 6 SSIDs are broadcasting (3x 2.4 Ghz + 3x 5Ghz), that different stationary wireless and wired devices on my LAN respond to ping, that DNS is working and that pinging 3 different internet hosts is successful.

I have had no issues for 2 weeks in a row, no reboots, no SSIDs drops, or lack of connectivity to my LAN or the Internet. WiFi speed and coverage are outstanding.

I briefly tried to enable fast roaming and the reboots and disconnection started happening again, so in order to keep peace at my home, I have not touched the configuration anymore.

Roaming does not work well, when moving around the house I find myself turning off/on my cellphone wifi so it picks the closest Orbi.

Though the Orbi system can be considered by many a configure-and-forget device, not being able to enable key features due to its instability¸ which I expected and paid to work, like fast roaming or beamforming it is disappointing.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 272 of 335
KU1234
Guide

Bought this ac3000 rbr50 plus 2rbs50 last weekend from costco. I have no android phones/boxes. Last night Computers lost connectivity and iphones and ipads crwaled. Found this pos autoupdated to 21218. Already feeling that this is garbage. I have 80 more days to decide if I should return it. Already considering Google mesh to replace this junk.

Message 273 of 335
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@KU1234wrote:

Bought this ac3000 rbr50 plus 2rbs50 last weekend from costco. I have no android phones/boxes. Last night Computers lost connectivity and iphones and ipads crwaled. Found this pos autoupdated to 21218. Already feeling that this is garbage. I have 80 more days to decide if I should return it. Already considering Google mesh to replace this junk.

Have you tried the new firmware, v2.0.1.4:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-MR-2-1-issues/m-p/1506307#M23649

Apparently the new 2.1.* features have been reverted, and auto-update from this latest firmware version is turned off. So if it works for you, it will stay until "further notice".

Message 274 of 335
KU1234
Guide

Thsnk, but...Re: New Orbi firmware 2.1.2.18 update issues?

Thanks Roger.

With this revert, I hear the ethernet backhaul is also reverted.

The distance between the router/satellites may cripple the 5G bands, making it monoband system, unworthy of $500 pricetag.

Netgear is not doing a good job of making most of a capabe-scalable-product.

Quality of the software and lack of enough testing before release are to blame.

Message 275 of 335
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7