Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Orbi firmware 2.1.2.18 update issues?

RogerSC
Virtuoso

Re: Thsnk, but...Re: New Orbi firmware 2.1.2.18 update issues?

@KU1234wrote:

Thanks Roger.

With this revert, I hear the ethernet backhaul is also reverted.

The distance between the router/satellites may cripple the 5G bands, making it monoband system, unworthy of $500 pricetag.

Netgear is not doing a good job of making most of a capabe-scalable-product.

Quality of the software and lack of enough testing before release are to blame.

The ethernet backhaul will be added back in when it's ready. Personally, the dedicated backhaul radios work for me, and if my satellites were too far apart for solid connections, then I would add more satellites. But then I don't have the wiring in my walls for ethernet backhaul. I guess that if you've decided that the only way that you can use your Orbi is using ethernet backhaul, and you can't wait for it to be added back in, then I'd recommend that you move on to another product. There are other mesh solutions that allow ethernet backhaul, like eero (other than the beacons, they don't have an ethernet port).

I'm currently using the eero mesh here, and it's working great for me, works well in either router or in bridge mode. I plan to try out the new Orbi firmware, though, and see how that works.

Message 276 of 335
note8guy
Guide

Was going strong for about 17 days the came home today to no internet. Cant ping the router, reboot but can only have contact for about 15 sec then its gone! Tried over a direct wired connection and rebooting several times. Seems like the firmware is stuck in a loop and crashes!!

Now i need to factory reset. 😞
What happened Netgear???
I really wish i can return this.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 277 of 335
Sevo123
Apprentice

Spoke to Netgear support confirmed this firmware has been pulled from Netgears site. They did advise me there is a new update coming out soon... beta version going on now... but will address a lot of problems people have been having.
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System, RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 278 of 335
mpf541
Apprentice

I just spoke to them 2 days ago and they had me waste a lot of time doing factory reset and making all kinds of setting changes after I told them I had done every thing they were sugesting already.  I think these guys look at a script and don't really know how to fix this. 

I will be really suprised if this fixes the issues i have. Every firware upgrade just seems to break it evem more. 

I found the best solution so far to keep my internet going was to use my ATT router and leave the orbi disconnected. 

Message 279 of 335
HugoER
Aspirant

How soon?

Message 280 of 335
JoeM845
Luminary

@Sevo123wrote:
Spoke to Netgear support confirmed this firmware has been pulled from Netgears site. ...

Just looked at download page for RBK50. FW 2.1.2.18 is still there, as are other versions. I did not see anything suggesting which one the user should select.

Message 281 of 335
tagteam
Virtuoso

"....For those interested in OrbiOS 2.1 features, We will post OrbiOS 2.1 available on the web server for customers who want to manual upgrade...."

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-MR-2-1-issues/m-p/1506307#M23649

Message 282 of 335
possessed007
Guide

Well I had decided to give Netgear another try when they released the ORBI in 2017(had switched to Asus routers), at first worked fine great internet all over the house, and when Daisychain was enabled WOW was it working good, was running with 4 satellites. Then came the last two firmware updates...HORRIBLE....problems after problems, activate IPV6 devices would not connect, and with the latest update iPhones would drop wifi non stop and some other devices.

Well I finally gave up and you guys will never see me come back, releasing firmware updates that crashes 1000$+ system is just ridiculous, so i made the switch back to ASUS picked up Lyra and let me tell you it was a breeze to setup and every satellite connected with not even one hickup, i was even able to bypass their system and from a maximum of 5 im at 7 Lyras total been running for 3days 24hrs 40min 
NO disconnects
NO wifi problems
NO nothing
and even upgraded to their latest firmware and still runs like it did 4days ago

Guys if you want no more headaches make the switch

Message 283 of 335
DudeDad
Apprentice

But your Orbi worked for more than 4 days at first as well....I hope your new system's updates go well.  I've had my Orbi system since December and have had no issues through the updates.   Good luck.

Message 284 of 335
possessed007
Guide

@DudeDad
Ive had mine been almost a year, if u have no problems after 4days then could it be the new ones have new hardware inside?

As for Lyra my parents have been running it for 1yr now no hicups at all, and why every router ive had from Netgear they would always let me down after a few months but none of my Asus had these problems

As i said i gave them a chance since they released Orbi before Lyra and at the end it gave up
Message 285 of 335
mealto
Star

I can confirm something has been tweaked for the latest suggested firmware. I went back to V2.0.0.74 and for the last few days, the admin area has been showing that a new firmware is available. Logged in today and that message is gone, saying no new firmware. Even clicked on CHECK and still says no new FW. Looks like Netgear pulled the plug on the latest FW and hopefully, can roll out a much smoother version soon enough. 

I can't wait as I was one of those who had months of rock solid Wifi without drops or reboots. It would be nice to run the latest FW without all the disconnects and random reboots.

Message 286 of 335
possessed007
Guide

@mealto You are correct firmware V. 2.0.0.74 worked flawless but after that nothing has worked right so im not surprised they stopped update, i hope they do come out with a better firmware cause the latest has let down lots of people. God Luck to all
Message 287 of 335
Gtramsey2000
Guide

Hi netgear. Here’s a product review I just put on Amazon. I’m sure you understand.

I’m hoping this review will help someone avoid buying this product and save themselves a lot of grief.
The problem is this; when it works, it’s fine - in fact it works well and has good area coverage. BUT IT DOESNT WORK ANYWHERE NEAR CONSISTENTLY ENOUGH. Netgear have failed to maintain the firmware to a reasonable standard and seem not to care about sorting it out. I’d strongly advise anyone who’s thinking about buying this to check the netgear forums for the issues with this product - there are pages of people wishing they could return them.
If you’re trying to watch Netflix, surf the web, use phones and tablets etc and keep getting drop outs it soon gets incredibly frustrating. I’d give this product one star but I worry that people would skip over this review and write it off as sour grapes.
I wish I’d returned mine while I was in the protected period but I held out, hoping the issues would be corrected. They haven’t been. Please don’t make the same mistake. Maybe they’ll release a fix, but how long until it happens again? You’ll soon get sick of it when it doesn’t do the thing it’s supposed to, believe me!

Message 288 of 335
SpineyJello
Guide

Can everyone help to upvote for the following in Idea Exchange? It would be really nice if we can choose to enable or disable automatic firmware update. "if it ain’t ˈbroke, don’t ˈfix it"

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/Orbi-System-Disable-automatic-firmware-updat...

Message 289 of 335

I received my system 2 weeks ago and it was running perfect on the fw it came with (2.0.0.74). I have U-verse with a 2-Wire modem/router that I put in bridge mode (worked fine with a TP-Link router before). Because of limited parental controls I decided to give the 2.1.2.18 a try and expected to run into issues. So far the system has been running perfectly fine still and my 5GHz devices switch without a problem between router and satellite when roaming through the house. Not a single drop or disconnect so far and the log confirms that. I really like it because of the coverage in my 2 story house with basement.

Based on other peoples input I suspect that I'm just lucky that I don't have a certain setting that breaks it. My router login is admin and a pw that consistes of lower character letters and numbers and a WiFi key that is only numbers. The parental control functions with circle meets my needs and I hope it stays that way. Knock on wood. Sorry to hear so many have issues with the router. Hope it gets fixed soon.

Message 290 of 335
possessed007
Guide

@DerAusgewandert

Like i said before i think they must of changed something in the hardware cause all the peoole buying now and reporting here are runnning flawless
Message 291 of 335
tagteam
Virtuoso

possessed007 wrote:
Like i said before i think they must of changed something in the hardware cause all the peoole buying now and reporting here are runnning flawless

The specs have not changed one bit so that would be highly unlikely. Further, over the last ~6 months, there have been plenty of reports from users whose systems were running without issue. I bought my system (RBK53) back in August, it came with v1.4.xx firmware (which has been updated several times), and, fortunately, I have experienced no serious issues.

Message 292 of 335
Pandorum
Aspirant

Hello Netgear Community, Ive owned My RBR50 and RBS50 for 6 months now no issues. Just yesterday for the first time the RBR50 was disconnecting and went offline; however, all my devices still recognized it as a device to connect to. This happened 3 times in one afternoon. First time lasted 5 mins, but eventually I was able to reboot it or it, or it just simply started working again after my phone was able to detect the the RBR50. As soon as it connected, imediatly it disconnected and went back offline again. Once again I managed to reboot and get it back online after several minutes but it was takingf a while becasue my computer and phone wouldn't detect the RBR50. Third time happned several hours later while I was working late. lasted a little longer this time after several minutes passed I used the orbi phone app to reboot the router. Today I noticed it appeared offline on the app but almost instantly updated its status to online with satelite connected. 

I would like to know if anyone esle has experieced this with the 2.1.2.18 firmware or if its hardware. Like I stated before, this is the first time in 6 months I've had any trouble with the Orbi RBR50 and RBS50 but 3 disconnects in one day is entirely way too many especially since I work form home a lot too, so any help would be nice. 

side note: My NAT type was set to strict for the a little while after reconnecting on the the third time not sure if this helps pin point the issue 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 293 of 335
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@Pandorumwrote:

Hello Netgear Community, Ive owned My RBR50 and RBS50 for 6 months now no issues. Just yesterday for the first time the RBR50 was disconnecting and went offline; however, all my devices still recognized it as a device to connect to. This happened 3 times in one afternoon. First time lasted 5 mins, but eventually I was able to reboot it or it, or it just simply started working again after my phone was able to detect the the RBR50. As soon as it connected, imediatly it disconnected and went back offline again. Once again I managed to reboot and get it back online after several minutes but it was takingf a while becasue my computer and phone wouldn't detect the RBR50. Third time happned several hours later while I was working late. lasted a little longer this time after several minutes passed I used the orbi phone app to reboot the router. Today I noticed it appeared offline on the app but almost instantly updated its status to online with satelite connected. 

I would like to know if anyone esle has experieced this with the 2.1.2.18 firmware or if its hardware. Like I stated before, this is the first time in 6 months I've had any trouble with the Orbi RBR50 and RBS50 but 3 disconnects in one day is entirely way too many especially since I work form home a lot too, so any help would be nice. 

side note: My NAT type was set to strict for the a little while after reconnecting on the the third time not sure if this helps pin point the issue 

Yes, I experienced these problems as more isolated loss of sync between the router and satellite units, first time with the Orbi, yes, only with 2.1.2.18. Since I was using the Orbi as an AP, though, the internet continued to work for wired devices except my desktop that was plugged into the Orbi router unit that sat next to my router. First time that happened, lights on the router unit and satellite both magenta, I pressed the "sync" button on the back of the router unit, and that got the router and satellite units back in touch with each other. Next time it happened, a day later, I had to power cycle. Then it happened again the next day, so I figured out how to block auto-update and went back to a previous release and used that for a while. That worked fine, but I wanted to be on the latest firmware, and didn't care for having to fiddle around turning ftp on and off.

When I got tired of not being able to trust the latest Orbi firmware update, I got the eero (3 eero pro's, 2nd generation) and have been happy using them. No problems at all, works great. Haven't decided what I'm doing with the Orbi yet. Really too bad, the Orbi, that I got back in October, 2016 had performed really well for me until 2.1.2.18, but there's still nothing on the horizon from Netgear to fix the problem I was seeing. I'm waiting for Netgear to put out stable firmware that will restore the lost functionality from reverting to version 2.0.1.4. At that point, I'll probably sell the Orbi, since I already have the R7800 for backup.

Message 294 of 335
setham
Star

Through the last couple of weeks, I experienced reliability issues that are comparable to your description.

In my case, the WiFi stayed up and available but I lost connection to my router (The Orbi is AP mode), my wired devices kept working but any wireless device did not have Internet access for a couple of minutes. Initially, this happened every few hours, then every couple until today was happening every 15 minutes or so, to the point that WiFi was useless; connection for 15 minutes, no internet access for 1/2 minutes, back again 15 more minutes.

I rebooted the router, the Orbis ... nothing helped.

A few hours ago I recalled that daisy-chain was enabled, I disabled daisy-chain and am running without issues for about 3/4 hours now (sad that Orbi's reliability is measured in hours).

My return window passed, so I will wait a couple of months before jumping ship and getting an eero or google wifi.

Orbi has been a waste of time and money, first and last Netgear equipment for me.

@Pandorumwrote:

Message 295 of 335
jeremiahlee
Tutor

After months of happy operation, I have had significant latency problems the last two weeks. For example, Instagram (a request-heavy app) would seem to stall loading Stories and the Search tab.

I noticed in the Orbi logs that it had been updated. I tried rebooting the modem and Orbi devices. I tried resetting the modem. Nothing seemed to work until I did a "factory reset" of the Orbi system (putting the paper clip in the reset hole until it blinked amber). Once I resetup Orbi, the latency  problems went away. Doing the factory reset only reset to the defaults of version 2.1.2.18, not the version of firmware that came with the device. That said, the problems went away once I resetup Orbi after resetting its defaults. Not a good upgrade experience, Netgear.

Message 296 of 335
donp1225
Initiate

Sadly enough I have taken my Orbi back after trying desperately for 2 months to get it working.

I had constant problems with wifi not working right on various apple devices.

My PS4 constantly disconnected and dropped out even though it was hard wired to a satellite.

I picked up a new Linksys Velop andafter a 10 min setup I was up and running and now no more issues.

Range and everything in my 3000SQ home is fine. Even reaches an external garage 300 feet away.

There are a few orbi features I miss like the 4 network jacks and USB port, but I have work arounds.

I have had netgear equipment for year, but this just did me in.

Best of luck everyone. It’s a shame netgear doesn’t monitor these forums and reach out to help people.

Don

Message 297 of 335
doccelo
Star

The issue for me now extends beyond just inconveniences or lost work, and now also it has hit my wallet another way.  Because of the constant disconnects, sometimes I wouldn't notice if I'm streaming something to my phone via home internet and it suddently disconnects and switches over to using mobile data.  I've now been charged for overages on mobile data!  I work from home, and almost always have access to wi-fi so hardly ever use mobile data.  These overages are without a doubt because of the constant disconnects from my Orbi and my phone automatically switching to mobile data. 

NETGEAR: While I appreciate that you are at least working to resolve the issues, this experience has left a very sour taste in my mouth for Netgear software (if indeed that is the issue here and this is not a hardware issue).  What happened to testing code before releasing to the public?  It seems like this issue is widespread enough that it should have been caught by your quality team.  Can we please get a clear and thorough explanation of what is happening to cause these dropouts?  Are these instabilities caused by a software bug, or is this indicative of unstable software and could resurface in a future --FORCED-- firmware update?  I'm keeping my Orbi and will work with you until these issues are resolved, quite frankly because I have no option at this point.  You will win me back as a customer if you are honest and direct about these issues and reach a resolution quickly. 

Ocassionally, buggy software does get released and I understand that.  But how many firmware revisions have we gone through now and the issue persists?  We pay full price for a fully working product; we are not here to test your equipment for you.  My wallet is now a little lighter thanks to your buggy equipment.  A shame really, because the hardware *seems* fantastic.

Message 298 of 335
bramdd
Guide

Took my Orbi back to the store 3 days ago.  My patience ran out.

I have now a (at first sight, latest firmware) ultra stable, incredibly configurable Ubuiqiti USG + 2 AP's (with Devolo Powerline).  Wifi range kills the Orbi.  For 3,99 EUR less than my Orbi setup.

Message 299 of 335
Brain29
Apprentice

2 full months and the only thing netgear has done is said there working on it .. 😞 

Message 300 of 335
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7