Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Orbi firmware 2.1.2.18 update issues?

olf
Star
Star

Ill give it another 2 weeks, else it goes back to costco.  Satisfaction guaranteed.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 301 of 335
mealto
Star

Hey everyone. V2.0.1.4 is out. It is a smaller digit than 2.1.2.18 but it is a newer version. Force an update to this or do a manual "upgrade" if needed. It's way more stable than 2.1.2.18.

Message 302 of 335

Sorry mealto, this is old news. Netgear stopped autoupdates with V2.0.1.4 some time ago, because none of the 2.1xx firmware versions were stable enough. Read the threads. This is taking it back to a stable version before they figure out the problems going towards 2.2. It's a step backwards to ensure they are not getting even more fire from new customers buying the routers now.

cheers

Message 303 of 335
mealto
Star

@DerAusgewandertwrote:

Sorry mealto, this is old news. Netgear stopped autoupdates with V2.0.1.4 some time ago, because none of the 2.1xx firmware versions were stable enough. Read the threads. This is taking it back to a stable version before they figure out the problems going towards 2.2. It's a step backwards to ensure they are not getting even more fire from new customers buying the routers now.

cheers

Not sure what the issue is with yoru old news comment. There were some recent complaints in this thread that FW is broken. I assume this is from users having issues with 2.1.2.18 as this is a thread for 2.1.2.18. 

Many have found 2.0.1.4 is more stable so just giving other owners a heads up to go from 2.1.2.18 to 2.0.1.4.

Message 304 of 335
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

2.2.1.18 is not unstable for everyone. It seems many are affected differently depending on use, circumstance, wired or unwired, Disney Circle, etc. New Orbis load the regression fw. Extant user can roll back manually. In my case, 2.2.1.18 upgrade worked fine. I personally am concerned about the push when the new firmware comes out, considering the issues in the past so many have experienced when new firmware is released.

Message 305 of 335
JustMakeItWork
Apprentice

That's hilariously stupid. An engineering organization that doesn't grok version numbers? I'm starting to understand the defects if a newer version is more recent than the current release version.
Message 306 of 335

well, according to this sticker post by AmitR from Netgear it looks more like an overall issue with 2.1 fw.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-MR-2-1-issues/m-p/1506307/thread-id/23649/highlight/tru... I don't think it matters whether not everybody was affected. If a large number is having problems randomly, then they released something they should not have. If you change something with your setup in the future you may end up in the same situation as others who are now willing to return their non-working system. It's a pitty they got here this way and apparently putting their experts into a room for a week and still not solving the problem seems to indicate it's a much bigger problem.

Message 307 of 335
MudMan
Guide

I spent over half a day figuring out what the hell was going on, thinking I had a device problem or bad ethernet cable.  Only to discover it was the RBR50 and the satellite connected via ethernet.  I've never had a problem until 2.1.1.18 was released.

Here's the steps I did to disable the auto update and flash back to version 2.1.1.16

1) Go to Advanced, Security, Block Sites and add the following sites.
http.fw.updates1.netgear.com
updates1.netgear.com
downloads.netgear.com

2) Download version 2.1.1.16 for both the router and satellite.

3) Flash the satellite first and then the router.

So far everthing has been working and I no longer have to worry about auto updates.

Later,

Don

Message 308 of 335
FURRYe38
Guru

The first wave to be released are only for the RBR50 and RBS50, which is used in the RBK50 and RBK53 (Costco) kits.
New beta FW avaialble. Get it while its hot of the press:

Message 309 of 335
Mr-Wednesday
Tutor

I'm not having any issues with 2.1.2.18 either.  Everything is roses for me so far (knock on wood).  In fact, I didn't even know there was an issue until I just  stumbled across this thread today.

Message 310 of 335
Ejalvara2
Guide

After 24 hrs from updating to firmware 2.1.3.4 both RBK & RBS50 ate working with no lapses. Before with version 2.1.2.18, there were still issues with the router just shutting down. I will keep monitoring and hope that the new beta finally has all the corrections needed.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 311 of 335
Mr-Wednesday
Tutor

I'm currently running firmware version 2.1.2.18 with ZERO issues whatsoever.  Have been this entire time.

If all goes well, I'm assuming that NETGEAR will auto push this new firmware out at some point, right?  Including for users running 2.1.2.18?

Message 312 of 335
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@Mr-Wednesdaywrote:

I'm currently running firmware version 2.1.2.18 with ZERO issues whatsoever.  Have been this entire time.

If all goes well, I'm assuming that NETGEAR will auto push this new firmware out at some point, right?  Including for users running 2.1.2.18?

Yes, it will be auto-flashed on your Orbi shortly after release, I'm sure.

Message 313 of 335
FURRYe38
Guru

The beta will not be pushed. It's a manual upgrade only. When and if NG deems it fit for world wide release, then it will be pushed via auto update.

@Mr-Wednesdaywrote:

Message 314 of 335
Dabasap
Aspirant

Absolutely horrible experience. I hate this product. My satellite needs to be reset constantly now. Used to be OK. The product is garbage and expensive garbage at that.
Message 315 of 335
tsig
Luminary

and mine has been nothing but rock solid and boring.  It just works.

Message 316 of 335
setham
Star

@tsigwrote:

and mine has been nothing but rock solid and boring.  It just works.

And I think is the main issue, the lack of consistency among users.

As I had posted I use it as an AP (not a router) so I cannot provide feedback on a different mode as I rather use my OpenWRT router.

For me after 2.1.2.18 and then 2.1.3 has worked fine and like you said even boring, a couple of hiccups that I need to figure out the reason, the main reason I use it is to provide consistent wifi through my home without a wired backhaul, and fulfills my needs, but definitely is skinny in features when used as AP, at least after 2.1.2.18 has been reliable which I think is Netgear primary goal at this moment.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 317 of 335
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried upgrading to the new Beta?

Also has a factory reset been performened and set up from scratch?

What is the distance between the satellite and router?

How big is your home? SqFt?

If you try the new beta, please do a factory reset on both router and satellite then set up from scratch.

@Dabasapwrote:
Absolutely horrible experience. I hate this product. My satellite needs to be reset constantly now. Used to be OK. The product is garbage and expensive garbage at that.

Message 318 of 335
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@Dabasapwrote:

The latest firmware that was Beta and now is official, 2.1.3.4, is working well for me so far. Only been about a day for me here, but perfectly stable.

Have you tried that yet? If you haven't, sounds like you'll need to reset after flashing it. And then manually reconfigure your Orbi.

Message 319 of 335
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, v2.1.3.4 is not offical. It's still Beta from what I was told.

@RogerSCwrote:

@Dabasapwrote:

The latest firmware that was Beta and now is official, 2.1.3.4, is working well for me so far. Only been about a day for me here, but perfectly stable.

Have you tried that yet? If you haven't, sounds like you'll need to reset after flashing it. And then manually reconfigure your Orbi.

Message 320 of 335
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38wrote:

FYI, v2.1.3.4 is not offical. It's still Beta from what I was told.

@RogerSCwrote:

@Dabasapwrote:

I got it from the official firmware release page. Please go and look and you'll see:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50?cid=wmt_netgear_organic#download

Message 321 of 335
FURRYe38
Guru

I know. Its there. Still in beta though. Smiley Wink

Message 322 of 335
JoeM845
Luminary

@FURRYe38wrote:

I know. Its there. Still in beta though. Smiley Wink

Ah! Found edit, but not delete.

Message 323 of 335
JoeM845
Luminary

Ignore last post. Sorry

Any way to  delete posts here?

Message 324 of 335
FURRYe38
Guru

No..Just edit post up to a certain point. Select the 3 vertical dots to the upper right of your post. Select these and it will bring up a menu. Edit Post will be at the top of the menu. Smiley Wink

@JoeM845wrote:

Ignore last post. Sorry

Any way to  edit posts here?

Message 325 of 335
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7