Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Orbi firmware 2.1.2.18 update issues?

dkunath
Star

Re: New Orbi firmware 2.1.2.18 update issues?

Just a quick note.  I have always found it to my advantage never to have auto-update enable.  This way I can control the version on the router and analyze postings of other folks experiences with new firmware updates.  Once I feel that there is a reasonable chance of success with an update, I will then invoke it manually.  I know this can be a little more labor, but I would would rather have they ability to upgrade if I choose rather than have the unit do it for me automatically.  I have found this to work out better for me, so I'm just passing it on.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 101 of 335
Blcklab
Apprentice

For whatever reason I couldn't manually update. Started with the satellite and I received a message it was the wrong version or something like that. It wouldn't proceed. 

Never the less this has been stable after jumping through the hoops of power cycling modem, switch and resetting each orbi running to default and setting up network new. Shouldn't be like that however I have 17 hours uptime including Chromecast and home Google home devices. 

I thought my pixel XL 2 on Android 8.1 would reboot the router this morning but it stayed connected

Message 102 of 335
ALNJ2017
Star

.18 update bricked my RBR50.

Getting replacement hardware today.

almost ready to abandon Orbi platform-too much care and feeding.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 103 of 335
Blcklab
Apprentice

Spoke too soon. System statistics show an uptime of 18 hours including backhaul but when I check debug.htm on the satellite it says uptime of 5 hours. So it must have stopped responding at some point in the middle of the night.

Can anyone clarify how a satellite could have a shorter uptime than the total backhaul uptime with just 1 satellite? Not sure I want to wait around and have this happen during a webex for my work.

Message 104 of 335
Joelcc
Tutor

Just finished upgrading using installation instructions. So far so good.

Wasn’t having any noticeable issues prior to update, but I like to have the latest firmware.

Message 105 of 335
dkunath
Star

meant to say auto update disabled.
Message 106 of 335
UCFBBIRD
Tutor

Hey Marco, I've been using Beamforming and MU-MIMO for a few weeks on v.16 with no problems, but based on cummunity advice not using FT or Daisy (I only have 1 Sat anyways). 

How are things going for you on v.18 with these advanced settings?  I want to update to v.18 but waiting to see some feedback as my only issue with v.16 has been not connecting to the Sat when very close (or posssibly just v.16 not showing the correct connection) as the new v.18 is claiming to address.

Feeling fortunate as I have 20+ wired and wireless clients from Apple, Android, Chromecast, HP, Lenovo, Ring, Roku, Samsung etc. on my network.

Message 107 of 335
itzcoatl13
Guide

Message 108 of 335
itzcoatl13
Guide

Hi,

The router updated itself to version 2.1.2.18 and I've had a lot issues with my network. My Note 8, two of my laptops and my Lyric Thermostat no longer connect to the wifi. I got around it by giving the devices a static address. It's been a bad situation.

Message 109 of 335
cmftblynu
Star

It completely broke my setup.  I have a switch with 15 wired connections, and it broke all wired connections.  I couldn't even downgrade the firmware until I connected wired directly to the router.  Normally I could just be connected to the switch, but this broke everything behind the switch.  I heard it may be because of sonos, I don't know... but I had to downgrade, then I went into the router nvram to turn off auto update, I am sick of Netgear experiementing on me.

Message 110 of 335
cmftblynu
Star

it is... mine did the same thing, I never got it to work, I reverted everything back and went into the router in the nvram and stopped it from auto updating.

Message 111 of 335
NunyaBeezwax
Aspirant

I just logged into the Orbi app on my iPad and after poking around noticed this:

RBR = 2.1.2.18

RBS = 2.1.1.16

I haven’t touched anything since unboxing and installing the Orbi & satellite in November, and I didn’t change any settings at that time — just plugged them in.

Do I need to have the same version on both?

Is the something I need to do to update this or will it do it on its own?

Thanks.

Message 112 of 335
itzcoatl13
Guide

How did you get into the NVRAM and what setting did you change?
Message 113 of 335
tagteam
Virtuoso

Message 114 of 335
wooties
Star

tagteam's instructions above on disabling auto-update saved me from going to pick up a google wifi (thank you for that). Reverting to older firmware is the answer, unfortunately. 

Message 115 of 335
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

@NunyaBeezwax

Yes you need to get your satellite on the .18 firmware log into your orbi unit and check for firmware and update all units to the latest firmware.

DarrenM

Message 116 of 335
UCFBBIRD
Tutor

Nunya,

Yes, both units should be running the same firmware version. If not showing up in the firmware section (Advanced>Firmware Update) as an avaible update for the RBS, you can download it from Netgear's Down Load Center and then do a manual update. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/download/

Enter RBS50 and the available Firmwares will populate, download and save it to a location you can find.  You may have to unpack the zip folder file to the same folder.  Then go to Manual Update and browse to the location you saved the v.18 firmware, upload it to the RBS50 and follow instructions from there.  You also may need to reset both units once the RBS Firmware is installed.

Message 117 of 335
UCFBBIRD
Tutor

Hi Itz,

Do you hve a satellite, and is it also updated to the latest firmware?

Thanks!

Message 118 of 335
madbrain
Luminary

@wooties wrote:

tagteam's instructions above on disabling auto-update saved me from going to pick up a google wifi (thank you for that). Reverting to older firmware is the answer, unfortunately. 

It may not have updated immediately, but until you have run it for a couple of weeks and it hasn't upgraded, don't assume it will stay at whatever firmware you installed. I have never managed to make my Orbi stick to a stable version (way back in 1.11 and below series) more than a week, even with all the telnet fixes.

Message 119 of 335
OrbiFAN
Aspirant

Before Zero issue and after update Zero issue.

Thanks Netgear !

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 120 of 335
wooties
Star

@madbrain wrote:

@wooties wrote:

It may not have updated immediately, but until you have run it for a couple of weeks and it hasn't upgraded, don't assume it will stay at whatever firmware you installed. I have never managed to make my Orbi stick to a stable version (way back in 1.11 and below series) more than a week, even with all the telnet fixes.

I'm so sad to hear this.. I have loved having the Orbi in my house but the last several issues have put me at my wit's end. If this happens, it's being replaced with something not from Netgear.

Message 121 of 335
Blcklab
Apprentice

Done with Orbi. Seemed fine other than satellite dropping once in middle of night. Just opened my tablet and both router and satellite rebooted. Shouldn't have to coddle the system every 8 hours. 

Pissed because I'm outside return window. But I'm getting an eero or velop tomorrow. 

Message 122 of 335
Ejalvara2
Guide

Ok, after running 2 days with no issues unde the latest firmware, just now Orbi did the same and dropped the connection. So the same problems that happened with the previous firmwares since .12, now the same with .18

I may need to get a new router, can't have this problems when the router is used for work.  

Message 123 of 335
Andrew_Scott
Guide

No issues for me. I updated from 2.0.0.74 using the 'update all' button. Quite painless.

I had to power cycle my satellite to get everything working smoothly after I tried out Ethernet backhaul but everything is working well… so far.

Message 124 of 335
guzzijason
Apprentice

I thought I had auto upgrade disabled, but I must have missed a step, because I went from 2.0.0.76 -> 2.1.2.18 tonight. No problems so far - the only reason I noticed the change is because I happened to log into the router UI to check something else.

The only thing I've noticed so far is the connected devices page is showing some devices attached to the router, when really they connected to the satellite. As far as I can tell, this is just a UI glitch and doesn't really affect any functionality - devices are still really connected to where I would expect them to be, regardless of what the UI page says.

Message 125 of 335
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7